Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Henaki

In need of animator for fighting game.

I might know someone who'd be interested and could do the linework. Though with how time consuming it is, I doubt she would do it for free. Would they be payed in some form or? Sorry if that's a silly question. I will talk to them later and get you some examples of what they can do.

:x I would help, but even my stick figures are horrible.

Yeah, I figured it would be easy to read in between the lines but I guess I did not say it: no it's not paid (by commission standards, % based distribution of profit counts as unpaid work). We are aiming for a commercial release however and obviously they would get a good cut. I can easily sympathize with anyone who does not want to work with us based on that and am completely understanding if they refuse since all we have currently is an engine, hearts filled with desire and a good amount of knowledge behind the project which is worth about jack squat (well, the engine is worth something).

I had a feeling, but figured I'd ask. I haven't mentioned it to them yet and considering this fits right into their major, the experience alone might be enough. If that's the case, I will talk to her and pm you her work if she's interested. Thanks for clearing that up.

I know a few people who can draw/trace keyframework animation on DevART, but they're probably busy with other stuff at the moment. I'll ask those I know if they know anyone down for that. I've done it with transparancies and onion paper before, but I'm not that skilled at drawing (nor do I have much space to work on things like that atm).

So anyway, I'll ask around.

hmmm 400 frames per character. hmmm thats very low considering a typical bb character is like nearly a 1000. oh sorry i just realised your only asking for linework, which Is still alot of work. to give some people numbers. At disney (the best you can get) they were only expected to do 4 seconds a weeks or 100 frames. and that was full time work for them. so thats a month or so worth of work which if taken into account it only gonna done in peoples spare time (you might strike gold, and find somebody that is puting together a show reel, and may want to put on their resume your project) may probably take about 3 three months.

because when i was in uni and doing a part -time job it took me about a month to do 100 frames (altho i was also clearing them up, colouring, and in my werid case inking them (because i wanted a really thick line)

BlazBlue has extremely high quality animation, if you've played older games (CVS2/Guilty Gear) the amount of animation per character is a lot lower. Again, we aren't really expecting much at this point and we have other projects lined up until something comes along. We expect a character to take months to make. 400 frames of lienwork, assuming a hobbyist prospective (lets say 15-20 hours a week, similar to what myself and Anotak are putting in) of only linework would yield maybe 1/3 of a character per month at best (realistically I would shoot for 1/5th though). I have pretty realistic expectations of how much work is being put into the project, the problem more along the lines of "is it realistic to find someone who will do this" which is pretty dim for the time being.

Edit: And that number was my lowball estimation.

Sol uses about 600 frames by the way.

BlazBlue has extremely high quality animation, if you've played older games (CVS2/Guilty Gear) the amount of animation per character is a lot lower. Again, we aren't really expecting much at this point and we have other projects lined up until something comes along. We expect a character to take months to make. 400 frames of lienwork, assuming a hobbyist prospective (lets say 15-20 hours a week, similar to what myself and Anotak are putting in) of only linework would yield maybe 1/3 of a character per month at best (realistically I would shoot for 1/5th though). I have pretty realistic expectations of how much work is being put into the project, the problem more along the lines of "is it realistic to find someone who will do this" which is pretty dim for the time being.

Edit: And that number was my lowball estimation.

Sol uses about 600 frames by the way.

hmm it is very good that you do understand and have very realistic goals. bb was was a very bad example. but i thought you said you were going for a GG style animation?.. 400 frames would put in the alpha series kind of class (nothing wrong with that. they still work as games and good ones too)

But none the less As an animator theres also the tedious job Of Scanning in all those 400 frames (which actually drove me nuts at one point" altho I think some die hard animatior may actually Be drawing direct using those really cool wacom Cintiq.. man you really would have to strike gold. I suppose it gonna be done direct with decent tablets i guess.

but 1/5 a month sound about right to me.