Sign in to follow this  
DemiiPoet

How long did it take -you- to get proficient with your main?

BB was my first fighter and for some reason I was determined to be good at it xD, took a couple weeks from release (although this is the forever delayed european release here =S) to be able to be able to pull off Jin's basics and some BnB's in training mode but only recently have I been relativley happy with my play in actual games (still definatley not satisfied though), nailing stuff in training mode =/= being able to play like you want in actual games.

In CT, it took me about a month to consistently win matches with Tager. As I played and started picking up subs, it would only take two to three weeks from printing BnBs to performing them with my eyes closed (exaggeration).

Been playing since CT came out and i'm still not good with anyone. Started to learn Ragna (still can't do his BnB beyond 6 hits) and Bang (I can only do a small combo that ends with his air grab), so I just started doing my own thing. Now I'm playing a horrible purple Litchi on XBL, but I don't expect to get good in a long while. I also have a terrible time remembering during a fight, so I only do small combos (although I don't consider 5-6 hits good). But, I don't give up! I can easily go 100+ losses on a room and learn something maybe.

Been playing since CT came out and i'm still not good with anyone. Started to learn Ragna (still can't do his BnB beyond 6 hits) and Bang (I can only do a small combo that ends with his air grab), so I just started doing my own thing. Now I'm playing a horrible purple Litchi on XBL, but I don't expect to get good in a long while. I also have a terrible time remembering during a fight, so I only do small combos (although I don't consider 5-6 hits good). But, I don't give up! I can easily go 100+ losses on a room and learn something maybe.

I actually felt like this early on in CT. I often would go like 6-20 in a room. Find about 3 or 4 players (even on XBL) just above your skill level and grow together in skill. My group are all mostly better than me, but we also improved a lot together mutually.

I can't seem to find people that are my level, i feel like i'm still between beginner and intermediate. Most of the people that come into my room are people who are 30+ and I have no idea how I managed to beat one or two of them.

killer: In CT i found that the best way to get better was to fight the same dude over and over to iron out mistakes and learn things, aka learn how to not fucking die. So, IMO, keep struggling against higher dudes(but maybe focus on just 1-2 at a time) unless you're not having fun. Maybe someone could help you learn comboability? Neutral, defense and pressure are more important than combos in the long run, though, and fighting with less reward could help those develop I guess. :P

also i still dont consider myself proficient because the better i get the higher my standard for proficient becomes

plus i switched mains a few months ago, so~

It takes my whole gaming career, "proficient" is not good enough, and for me, impossible to identify by time, it is a goal you continuously work towards, as a stepping stone towards perfection. There is always someone stronger or better with your main, I work to surpass them.

In a less/more serious answer, I think a few months for Rachel (Ct-CS). Maybe longer for Mu in CS.

I guess it took me like half a year to get to the point with Bang that I could regularly pull off 3-4k combos and recognize the starting animations of other characters attacks and block accordingly, instead of just flailing around wildly hoping that my moves would come into contact with them.

It only took me like 4 days to get to about the same point with Lambda, (although I'm not as good with her because I'm not used to zoning) so I guess once you've learned one character it's easier to learn another.

O_O This thread is still going strong.

I've been on and off with fighters (just picked BB back up since CS2). Currently learning Platinum and I've gotten better with Arakune outside of curse... But now that his D bug falls faster, I have to tweak my timing and learn new combos.

So basically, I feel that I'm back at ground zero :/

Edited by DemiiPoet

It only took me a few hours to get good with Hazama, though I'm not exactly tournament level or anything. With me being on lolpsn and all, I'll have to wait until probably tomorrow evening to get my rebalanced Hazama. I suspect I'll be picking him up just as quickly though.

I <3 fedora.

It took me ages it seemed to get decent/passable with Noel, but I've always felt like I should improve a bunch whenever I play. As for my secondaries of Jin and Makoto...yeah, those have always needed work.

well. since 1.03 i am now maining Ragna and it took me about.... I think 10 matches worth. still gotta work to land the advanced shizz, but im good enough to win most of the time

I've been playing Arakune since the adjustment... so a little less than a month? I'm almost beat my roommate at a tournament the other day, and I've learned a ton of new combos since then. (I was motivated to get better after winning my first match, then loosing to my roomy)

I'm on challenge 6, and I'm going to keep on trucking!

Yay first post, I bought cs at launch and never really played a lot online, all the story mode though, then got mvc3, then mk9, then heard cs2 patch was coming out. I was on vacation all last week and decided to try and get halfway decent with lambda. i'm now at 301 ranked matches with a record of like 56/245 (absolutely horrible) but with the last 20 - 40 matches or so i FINALLY felt that i had a good strategy to avoid just the absolute raping and pillaging of my poor flappy lambda and even manage to win against a few people with higher psr.

I still have a way to go, but I started to get good after playing against my friends a bit more. It took me about a month of practice to get good. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm working on it ^^

Before that, I played Guilty Gear a bit but I wasn't serious about it really so I consider that BB is my first real Fighting game ^^

I thought I was decent with Bang but now, I'm completely ass. CS2 brought some big changes so my hiatus is gonna cripple me big time.

After playing CS1 Tsubaki since console release, I felt proficient with her...

a week before CS2 came out. >_>

And now I have CS2 Tsubaki!

I can't say exactly for sure, but it took me a couple of weeks just to be semi-decent with my main. I'm better now but I've still got a long way to go...