Sign in to follow this  
DemiiPoet

How long did it take -you- to get proficient with your main?

It took me a good number of months to improve with Mu. I'm still working my ass off to get better with her though. Mobility has always been an issue for me so I'm working on that as well. As for Lambda, it took me a long time to get better with her as well. Still not satisfied with my gameplay so I keep striving to improve and learn new things.

I envy people who are 100% loyal to a character. I could never stick with 1. My "Ace" up my sleeve is the fact that if you beat my Mu, I can whip out (An arguably stronger) Bang.

And if that doesn't work is just get asspiped and pick Makoto.

Switching to Makoto when you're out of other options probably won't work too well in EX.

And as of this post, I'm 100% loyal to Makoto in EX! 0 interest in any other character.

I've been a Bang main since CT so..dunno really. Couple of months I suppose back then...but now I got used to Extend Bang in like 3 days and even got how to do the new FRKZ loops down so yeah...once you get used to your char you adjust to the changes faster.

i sucked at CT so didn't bother to really main anyone. when i found out tsubaki was gonna be a playable character i decided to main her (mainly because her name was the same as my gamertag :D ) took me like 2-3 months i think, to think of myself as a little better than average player

When I transitioned from CT to CS2, I had been maining Ragna, but I was inspired by Zakiyama and Buppa to main Hazama, and from the first moment I popped the cd into my friend's PS3, I used only Hazama. It took me about a night of practicing basic combos to get a good flow with Hazama going to where I could hold my own against my friend who mained Jin. I could say I've almost mastered him now, but it seems like every day I learn something new about my combos and overall metagame that I hadn't known before. I don't think I'll ever be good enough to even last a round with Buppa or Zakiyama, but I think I'm pretty decent. :]

I don't have enough money for the Vita, so I haven't had the pleasure of trying EX Hazama or Ragna. Although, I'm really anxious to try and main Relius, since I hear he's simpler to main than Carl is without a fight stick.

Edited by nemo

6-9 months for me... But then again it depends on the player and I played GG non-stop before hand...

I'm not that good with any character in either BB or GG, but regardless, it took me a while to actually start doing well with my mains. I started playing BB a year ago with Continuum Shift, and to this day, I'm still not that good with anyone; not even the characters I consider my mains.

It's mostly my playing style, though. I like rushdown characters, but I don't play rushdown characters that much, so that playing style kind of drifts over to other characters when I play them, even if that character's style penalizes you for going the rushdown route with them. I'm not too good with combos, either. Example being, the best combos I can pull off with Hazama in BB is Falling Fang > 5C > Jump > j5CCCCCCCC > Land > 5C > j5CCCCCCCCC > Wind Serpent's Fang. Gets off an 18-beat combo if I'm lucky. 15 if I'm not.

I still train, I have a lot to learn. I should train more often, as a matter of fact.

As for GG, well, I'm bad at that. Mostly because the only GG game I own is Accent Core Plus for the PSP, and the PSP is not made for goddamn fighting games.

Wouldn't say that I'm proficient with my main, since when I decided to learn BB, I was being a combo monster. With that being said, my mix-up game and such is quite trash, and I'd put myself at a little below average in terms of overall skill. I shall be better one day, though.

I took it as "when did ye start getting dem combows down?", I ain't tournament level yet, though I am close, I think.

I played GGXX so much that I think half the characters were my main lol. You know you play to much when you own people with Zappa. And that was on PSP too. The psp isn't the greatest for fighting games, but it's certainly livable.

I haven't played BB enough to even have a main yet.

I believe it took me a year and a half. it takes me a while for any games to become proficient. I'm still bad in GG, but I've been playing for years. I recently got a stick like a 9 months ago, so I've been getting better at most of the games I've always wanted to play well.

All I have is an estimate of about 4-5 months or so to what I'd call a proficient level, as in skilled with the character. More like 2-3 months for me to be able to call myself proficient with Mu. And this is with no real fighting game background at all--I've played a small amount since I was younger, but BlazBlue is the first time I've her actually gotten so absorbed that I bother putting effort into getting good at it.

CT was my first game, but I got a while after CS came out, and I only really came into the scene a couple months later, the week CS became CS2. Fell in love with Mu before I ever even played as her. lol

I started with CS1 and picked up Rachel in December of 2010.

Been playing a year and a half and I would consider myself in the top 10% of Blazblue players.

However, tournament level is the top 1% imo. Big gap between where I am and the crazy people who go to those tournies.

I wanna be one of those crazy people. I expect I will be in two years. And that's just with Rachel, I have an extremely hard time picking up other characters.

I've pretty much went around the board since CT, I started off with Taokaka in CT due to her flexibility and various feints ending CT playing Litchi which gave me better edge on blockstuns. CS came out and Litchi became S tier I dropped her for Jin/Noel

got better with Noel but Jin I wasn't feeling it, dropped Jin for Makoto and played her off an on for months. Cs2 came out I found myself still playing Noel after dabbling in everyone else sept Platinum,Arakune,Rachel,Litchi & Carl. I picked up Hakumen at the end of Cs2 and spend 2-3 months just learning. Now in Extend I play Noel/Hazama/Hakumen. Noel so far I've been playing off an on for a year or two the rest I picked up along the way. I've been playing fighting games for more than a decade but not seriously playing them the way they should be played Blazblue was the first game where I actually got into it and started learning how to actually play and not spam moves.

I've been playing Hakumen since CT because MANLY AS FUCK. Since it was Hakumen, it really only took a few weeks (of actual IN-GAME time) to get decent with him, though, I still have a lot of improvement since I stopped playing between CT and early CS, then I dropped BB on CS2 until yesterday when I got CSX.

I've been playing BlazBlue since 2009 and I still can't do anything with Jin :v: I'm the worst player I swear.

Very vague question here, proficient as in "what level"?

Play-able level? hardcore level? tournament level?

Reading through these 25 pages of posts, I think we also need to define what "good" means. Like for those who have become "good" with character X in a week or 2 how "good" did you get? Combo-Master? Net-Play Champ? Top 8 at Majors?

Days? Months? Weeks? Fortnights?

I'm definitely nowhere near good with Tao >< Drop soooo many drive loops and can't land taunt loops consistently. It's all kinda discouraging but w.e.

Oh, and are you coming from a fighting game background? I'm not :/

BlazBlue and P4A? About a day.

I came from a fighting game background (GG, CVS2, A3, A1, SF2 series)

Taokaka is not a character you can become proficient with as quickly.

Pick Main Characters

Edited by Veteru