Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kuuhaku

[CSE] Rachel International Videos + Critiques

heres a compilation of my matches from ect:

singles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWUqF69VVg

vs lich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_quCAQYZEU

vs dacidbro

teams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMQcllZN4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WeDb_3jOGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CWr2OG8Ov8

enjoy.

look forward to shitty americans, silly commentary, and dropped inputs.

and herbal grey i'm gonna try to watch twitch again, but my hopes are not up lol.

Were you nervous? :P

Compared to all the other replays you've shown us so far, these looked a bit.. off.

I'm just going to point out a few things since I'm bad/hate at critiquing.

You did so many random lvl2/3 j.2CDs, but you were lucky enough that most of them were unpunished.

Early bursts, right after the beginning of a match when your opponent first lands a combo. You both were midscreen, so I don't think you did these for corner momentum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=m_quCAQYZEU#t=451s <-- A simple combo to kill the opponent is better at times like this. A BBL would've done that, but the combo drop costed you the round.

Most of the time you always went for a simple corner combo like here instead of getting out another frog (and pumpkin). Is there a reason for that or were your nerves playing with you?

And now for something positive.

You did very well on converting the CH pumpkins into real damage, these standing confirms were on spot too.

I also liked how patient you were against that Lambda. Good shit on that guard break setup.

l wasnt nervous (l dont get tourney nerves). l agree, l was doing some reeeeally dumb shit... it could be that l only got 3 hours sleep prior to playing, but i'm not going to make excuses lol.

so, l kinda have this thing where l purposely burst early for the sake of a bigger challenge for myself. HOWEVER most of those burst were supposed to be gold bursts... my timing was off. after awhile l just said fuck it BURST!!! as soon as l got touched.

Don't touch me

same with ibing, after awhile l just gave up trying.

as time progressed l started to care less and less about winning and just wanted to have fun seeing what l could get away with.

as for corner combo... l dunno :psyduck: at the time l wasnt think about doing much else besides simple bnb. plus l really wanted pumpkin oki, it's too good.

lastly, that dropped combo vs dacid... that was bbl. l choked. as soon as that happened l mentally just gave up, and l know that was so dumb to do but l was so sad.

Hmm, I think everyone gets tourney nerves to a certain extent. It just means feeling the pressure to win/not lose (as opposed to casuals or netplaying) and having your playstyle affected because of that. I try to really treat tournament matches the same way I treat casuals but it's easier said than done lol.

Bursts are an extremely important tool to have in this game so I don't agree with early bursting like that. Gold bursts are broken in my opinion, they're basically a DP that's +5 and leads to over 3k on hit... Rachel especially needs it since most people will not expect a reversal from her. And just green burst for momentum, keeping them in the corner or escaping huge combos. It makes me sad to see rage bursts =(

I could clearly see you were getting flustered at certain points, especially during the 3rd match against Dacid. Why did you go for the fancy combo instead of simple 6a > BBL... you pretty much went into autopilot after that drop >.< too bad because autopilot against Bang = death. Actually, in the second round of the last match (which you won), you could've finished him with a 9D wall carry into BBL after the throw and gotten a perfect, but instead you dropped your dash 3c (I think), I'm sure the momentum from that perfect would've made you beat Dacid. I also agree with Sakaku about the riskyness of random lvl2 j.2cd...

That said, your mixups, confirms and combos were top notch as I expect them to be. A few drops here and there but shit, we're all human. Awesome comeback against LK in teams though I see you had some trouble with him jumping out of pressure (he does that a lot), and good shit against SKD (lol at throw into blood kain into midscreen 5k).

I hope you can watch twitch.tv archives eventually, I'd like you to crit my matches against LK one day :blush:

thank you kirbster i'll try to keep the austin bursting to a minimum in srs matches lol. most of the silly stuff l was doing is stuff l don't normally do, so it wont be hard to stop doing them. minus the 'random' j.2c bit. once l master j.2c/wind spacing, i'm going to try and correctly fit it into my neutral game. spur-of-the-moment random crossup for some of the best damage she has (and a chance for a fatal) WITH free pressure if blocked is too good to pass up.

hey Rachel players,

I was wondering if you guys could give some tips for a friend of mine, he doesn't post much on dustloop but I'll let him know about what he can improve. Our gameplay was overall kinda sloppy with Grand finals being especially sloppy due to a 2 hour wait between winner's and grand. Anyways, I'm hoping you guys have some good constructive criticism :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nITXEflCegI&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d10RKkex_78&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeX-KYaEGck&feature=plcp

Seen worse.

1st video:

He pokes with 6B too much imo, it's safe on block (only -1) but terrible on whiff, and Hakumen is excellent at punishing whiffed pokes. He sometimes tried to antiair with it (1:10), but in that situation even 6A would've lost. Better to just barrier Hakumen's strings cause he doesn't have very good pressure and has to use meter to stay on you.

He also throws too many lobelias against Hakumen, anticipatory lobelia AA usually result in a nice CH combo in your face because Hakumen can simply cut them when he jumps in.

He sometimes ends blockstrings in A lobelia although he has a ton of wind to rush down.

1:20 he cut a killing combo short, wtf. dj.B-C j.236A would've been enough, but he goes for a j.2c knockdown :v: He was lucky you didn't just do WAKEUP HOTARU DURRRR.

He likes to dash in and try to poke with 2A or 6B, I wouldn't really overdo that on Hakumen cause his normals are just so much better (3C CH hurts a lot, even on trade). Better to just retreat and set up a pumpkin, there's not a whole lot Hakumen can do against it.

5B IABD j.236B is incredibly unsafe against Hakumen, he can command dash uppercut right through it.

2:00 AA lobelia again, if you did j.2C earlier he would've eaten like 4k? :v:

2:05 I'm sure he facepalmed himself there

3:13 is what I'm talking about. Never try to dash poke Hakumen as Rachel. Always have a pumpkin with you.

3:20 Really bad movement decisions (back tech, backjump). Your goal is to get out of the corner, should've forward teched and airdashed out with wind. Wind alone isn't enough to push you out.

Btw just as a tip for you, if you airdash in and don't do your j.B or j.2C really early, it's a free 6A CH for Rachel everytime. If you do it early though and Rachel blocks, she'll be at the advantage. You should aim to get into range where you can jump in, cause then your j.B and j.2C just blow through 6A.

3:42 don't really know why he resummoned there, especially with a dash up beforehand. Do a pumpkin.

6B CH afterward, 4 winds + 100 heat and he does the weakest combo. Could've converted into a lot more.

4:06 rofl, that should've been a j.C into his face tbh ^^ really bad confirm again.

4:26 is what I meant earlier. Aim to do a jumpin instead of an IAD (why am I giving hints to a Hakumen player? :D)

4:29 In case he doesn't know, Hakumen and Litchi have especially thin hitboxes vertically in the air, so you either have to connect 5b earlier or do j.B j.C instead of just j.B.

4:58, 5:50 see above

6:16 could've done j.B-C, j.214C, land, BBL

6:28 why cat-chair... even if you did 2B or similar stuff, Hakumen can cancel all his A and B normals into parrys to stay safe. Please tell him to never, absolutely NEVER catchair against hakumen unless it's a guaranteed punish for something he reacted to (2b and 6B aren't guaranteed).

6:32 6B again, it's safe on block but a bad pressure starter (-1, you have to redash for a blockstring). In that situation though he could've frametrapped you with the pumpkin though.

6:52 - 7:02 trying to win pokewars again, sooner or later he's doomed to fail. Get fullscreen and summon a pumpkin.

7:12 BLAZBLUE

7:54 could've been extended into hj.C, 2D, falling j.C, BBL

8:02 could've been throw, RC, dash 5B, j.2C(Lv2) combo into BBL into kill. I'm pretty sure he would've built the remaining 6 heat during the combo. But tbh I'm not sure if I would've realized that in this situation myself. Just a reminder though what's possible.

8:06 too reckless again and that cost him the game. Just start zoning (I mean, Hakumen jumped back, what else could you possibly want? :v:)

8:34 too much autopilot, he dashed into the orb (wtf). He could've saved himself with 2B, 3C5D.

9:15 4 wind + 50 heat again and doesn't do a proper combo. Throw, 4D(!?) after that.

9:45 see above

I'll watch the rest later, g2g now. Conclusion so far, he does understand Rachel and her traps, he simply doesn't execute them everytime because he's fairly bad at understanding situations. That naturally comes with playing, but only if he pays attention to what's happening on the screen instead of autopiloting. He also needs to get better at understanding combo situations (screen postion, wind/heat/poles available, proration of the starter), if he does more optimized combos he doesn't have to hit you as often and will start to win more easily. But overall he plays solid enough, just needs to get better at the basics.

heres a compilation of my matches from ect:

singles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWUqF69VVg

vs lich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_quCAQYZEU

vs dacidbro

teams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMQcllZN4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WeDb_3jOGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CWr2OG8Ov8

enjoy.

look forward to shitty americans, silly commentary, and dropped inputs.

i'm not gonna go through piece by piece, but some of your pressure strings are really questionable. i don't like the whole air summon george during pressure and try to make safe with pumpkin. also against lich, there was 2a rapid delay green grab???? wtf?? toward the end of the lich match, you throwing lobelias at him while he was in the corner, which is asking him to mash super (especially after fork), and i'm shocked he didn't with 100 heat.

whoever that second announcer was during the lich match is an idiot. tempest dahlia is a terrible super, and several of the times he suggested using it were in fact punishable for big damage. in fact, you did one toward the end that i'm pretty sure could have been mizuchi'd (the air hit box for that is stupid)

against dacid, i was literally lol'ing at the j.2c's GET PWNED BY J.2C DACIDBRO. dat east coast technology ha. i agree with lk, unnecessary reset after cat chair - bbl. u were actually doing several odd combos in this match...nice with the whiff 3c combo though...just short of 5 min in...NICEEEEEEE i'm stealing that one. not much i can say beyond, yeah, that last match dacid just spaced really well and rachel just loses to bang, and if you had just confirmed second match properly you woulda obviously won.

j.2c tempest dahlia is sooo not legit lol on block. he coulda just mashed daifunka right back at you, the block stun isn't THAT long.

against relius, after kerokero, you did sword iris - 6a - bbl...better to just run up and bbl immediately when george is shocking them because bbl won't hit them for the full amount after 6a.

i wouldn't really think about adding too many more random j.2c's to your game lol, yeah, it's technically "pressure" on block, but you have to take into account how strong that pressure is...which is pretty weak. if they barrier guard, much of the time the only normal that actually is gapless is fork because you're too far away...and the options after fork are pretty limited compared to if you just did air pumpkin summon - 2d === also, not to mention, j.2c can just be anti-air'd dp'd, or flat out avoided and punished, especially if your opponent sees that you throw out a lot of them.

oops, didn't watch the team finals... pretty solid against lk freakin HYPE winning with 4b hahah. yeah, with 2 bursts and in the corner, you gotta be expecting dp or gold burst against skd with that long 4b.

l dont think td is bad if you use it in the right situations. sure there were plenty of times l didnt get punished, but l only use it in situations where l know l wont get punished by the player, not really the matchup - its simple for me to know when as l watch how the foe goes about their gameplan in multiple situations. as for why, well, l dont care on hit block or whiff, the point is to buy time, wind and a summon, anything else l get from the move is an added bonus. thats why l use it often. i'm fully aware of the consequences but they have rarely reared their ugly heads against me since i've been using the move. once a good amount of ppl start punishing it on a whim, i'll have no choice but to use it at a less amount, but as it stands now, the move is rather gdlk

the rest is about right though, im strengthening my gameplan against bang and ragna today, l dont seem to know an awful lot about either character's weaknesses and l need to be able to play the neutral correctly (and block) to stand a better chance. thanks again herbal grey, kirbster, for helping, everyone else who watched :3

Here are my Summer Jam matches from last weekend. Disclaimer : I was pretty rusty because of P4A so this time I consciously decided to stick with stable combos that I knew I wouldn't drop... that means no corner swag combos, not much 1 wind lvl3 j.2c, not much kerokero, etc. I have them down usually... that said, I think there are some good matches in there.

vs Lich (HZ)

vs Brice (TG)

vs Nedel (LA) Losers Finals

vs Lord Knight (LI) Grand Finals

kirbster, was that tv lagging? l was wondering that as l watched your matches. there's one thing to be rusty, but your reaction to alot of things seemed unnaturally slow, which made me question whether it was just rustiness. l could say the same thing about how lich played too. perhaps i'm just overanalyzing but l am curious.

Yeah. I remember complaining about it to Lich, Nedel and Brice and they all agreed. I liked playing on the stream station for the hype, but man, it was bad a bit. I mean not "netplay bad" obviously, but definitely enough lag to throw off your timings and force you to think about it and adapt just like when you play online.

It wasn't unplayable at all though... so maybe some of what you saw was just me being slow in my head and my execution being at an all time low that weekend :v:

i think laggy offline stations are harder than online, especially because it tends to be different from one station to the next so you're constantly trying to adapt to small differences that can completely throw off your timing. [*cough* snci] not to mention, a dropped combo for rachel is really really really bad because it's not just your oki but your wind regen that is thrown off.

think i mentioned it to you on skype but yeah, a few different combos for better oki and higher execution would have completely changed the tide of that match.

it's a little difficult to give you advice on these matches, kirbster, considering the lag and all. you had a nice showing in the lambda matchup, l think. excellent pressure and yomi. your blocking was also on point. overall, you seem to have a lot of knowledge on the matchup.

I'd like advice on this matchup

http://www.twitch.tv/bibiquadium/b/350600851

starts at 1:03:50

My execution is way off on evomon so I fuck up often in neutral and combos but overall there's a lot to work on.

Also shoutouts to pochp for being good lol.

Edit: holy fuck pressure and combos fucking terrible what the hell happened lol. the only matches I have against mu though.

you throw away all your wind stocks every time. don't use wind to do the most you possibly can at any given moment. remember: wind is your neutral, mixup, AND defensive tool, so if you're out of wind you're in a shitty situation. you use way too much wind on lobelias. if you can get a rod full screen, you don't have to keep throwing lobelias because you already have the sword iris option full screen. if you get a full screen rod, you can start to attack mu. and if you use up all your wind before getting close to her, you have no mixup options.

you also need to learn the flight pattern of the lasers and the possible damage mu can get off different starters. some of your bursts were for low-damage combos that you didn't need to burst. you also tried too many times to avoid blocking. mu almost never had to use her overhead cuz u were getting hit by non-mixup.

also, just because you have enough wind to do a combo doesn't mean you should do that combo. you often did fancy-er combos that completely drained your wind gauge, or you dropped kerokero which left you with no combo and no wind. i would suggest not going for kerokero until you are more comfortable with the character, since it is a combo path that is very difficult to perform properly and dropping puts you in a very difficult position....one combo i WOULD recommend doing for this matchup is 5cd 3c 236b 5a 5b etc...people seem to forget that combo exists.

also, you seemed to forget that you had meter. you used up all your wind and had meter to tempest dahlia but then you didnt and died. don't save meter for combos, tempest dahlia is your lifeline in this matchup.

don't forget that mu completely outzones rachel, so if you have the opportunity, attack, rather than zone 90% of the time. (if mu is in the corner, you can whack her with lobelias pretty well from a distance)

finally, i don't know why the mu isn't starting each round with 5c bc that would have beaten all the things you were doing to start the round

you throw away all your wind stocks every time. don't use wind to do the most you possibly can at any given moment. remember: wind is your neutral, mixup, AND defensive tool, so if you're out of wind you're in a shitty situation. you use way too much wind on lobelias. if you can get a rod full screen, you don't have to keep throwing lobelias because you already have the sword iris option full screen. if you get a full screen rod, you can start to attack mu. and if you use up all your wind before getting close to her, you have no mixup options.

you also need to learn the flight pattern of the lasers and the possible damage mu can get off different starters. some of your bursts were for low-damage combos that you didn't need to burst. you also tried too many times to avoid blocking. mu almost never had to use her overhead cuz u were getting hit by non-mixup.

also, just because you have enough wind to do a combo doesn't mean you should do that combo. you often did fancy-er combos that completely drained your wind gauge, or you dropped kerokero which left you with no combo and no wind. i would suggest not going for kerokero until you are more comfortable with the character, since it is a combo path that is very difficult to perform properly and dropping puts you in a very difficult position....one combo i WOULD recommend doing for this matchup is 5cd 3c 236b 5a 5b etc...people seem to forget that combo exists.

also, you seemed to forget that you had meter. you used up all your wind and had meter to tempest dahlia but then you didnt and died. don't save meter for combos, tempest dahlia is your lifeline in this matchup.

don't forget that mu completely outzones rachel, so if you have the opportunity, attack, rather than zone 90% of the time. (if mu is in the corner, you can whack her with lobelias pretty well from a distance)

finally, i don't know why the mu isn't starting each round with 5c bc that would have beaten all the things you were doing to start the round

You don't play this character gtfo

Okay thanks. I can explain a few points though:

-Getting hit randomly on non-mixup: I was trying to instant block (especially the 3C which I always know is coming but failed every time. I should have stopped but I'm hard headed).

-A lot of bursts are rage bursts but I agree.

-I have kerokero down pretty well on my laggy setup at home, I practice all the combo patterns frequently. The thing is, I always play on evomon but practice only on laggy screens lol.

-There are days where I do 3C 236B a lot and days where I don't at all.

Overall I really really really lack consistency. I'll try to think about wind and meter management especially. But let's say I have a full screen rod, how do I attack specifically? Using wind to travel fullscreen or just dash in closer?

lol guyman, what are you doing reading critique threads of rachel???

i think i mentioned in a psn message that you should use the pumpkin to lock mu down, then tempest dahlia if you have the meter and no wind. i just went to the video thread and this is the first video i watched. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jUc7FFwOw&feature=youtu.be&t=21m37s

the rachel literally doesn't throw one lobelia and only uses the wind to send the pumpkin towards mu so he can instant overhead. super jump forward - summon pumpkin - establish pressure - instant overhead . rin hime wastes a lot of wind stocks on movement imo, so i wouldn't try to emulate his style if that's the rachel you're watching. play more stably like N-O until you understand matchups a little more, and then you may choose to play more riskily like rin-hime although i still prefer stable.

oh, and ps. i don't even use kerokero because it's not very reliable and i manage to win a large majority of my matches when i play rachel ;P

stability > style