Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kuuhaku

[CSE] Rachel International Videos + Critiques

TD had an interesting quote he asked about which was Japanese text that evaluated parameters (although it was some random online program for twitter). I thought that'd be an interesting way to evaluate matches in this thread as well. Basically you give a grade for certain categories depending on the performance.

howling-_-moonの格ゲー適性は、立ち回り:E、読み:C、コンボ力:B、度胸:B+、得意タイプは空中コンボ系で す。魅せるプレイを重要視しています。

This particular quote graded things like:

- neutral game

- yomi (ability to read opponent)

- combo ability (how well do you optimize off of your starters + resources)

- risk/reward evaluation

- playstyle evaluation

TD

as always your execution and combos are at an extremely high level, especially considering it was netplay AND a tournament lol

you dropped a few combos by going directly to j.c before a level 2 j.2c combo, where i would tend to play it safe with the litchi hitbox and just do j.b j.c then level 2 j.2c but i'm sure you probably know what you were doing, and i just have to make sure i can pick up the combo by doing the extra move (which i don't care toooo much about because the proration is nearly the same for the greatly increased amount of times i pick up the combo)

i would still argue that you sometimes use too much wind for mixup, leaving yourself with 0 wind and lk with a clear advantage after having blocked what is, in my opinion, a not so hard to block mixup, but that's your decision.

looked like you were learning litchi's blockstrings mid match, because the first 5-8 matches you were trying a lot to mash out of litchi's blockstrings and got punished pretty severely for it...you started jumping out later, which is a safer option, especially for the kinds of block strings that lk was using (i'm used to practicing against donovan, and he pressures differently).

you used a lot of a button, both during combos and during pressure...maybe you were nervous or maybe you were fishing for something...idk.

last comment i would say is you threw out a lot of questionable tempest dahlias.

i only watched the first three parts of six, so i can't comment on the rest. i'll probably watch them soon

stay flashy as **** lol. nice

l was too lazy for the past few days to post in here, but finally enough fucks have been given to fuel this post.

...but honestly there isnt much to say :psyduck: for the most part herbal grey was spot on with what he said- personally l'm not really satisfied with the matches

lthere were points when l was just flat out mashing in pressure, fully expecting a frame trap... times when everything about the situation screamed "HEY TD WAKE UP HE'S ABOUT TO THROW YOU!!"... and got thrown. lol. plus l dropped a shitton of stuff as l look at the vids.

anyway, at this point wind management is still a slight problem l have from time to time- l know how to manage it but l forget sometimes. on the other hand, spamming td and mixup is how l get most of my wins :p so redefining my strats are in order.

i'm definitely gonna prepare myself for the next event so that i'll stay in control of the match and the "fuck this, mash harder" mentality l have sometimes.

thanks guys for watching~

oh nooo twitch!!!! my worst enemy D: have these matches been uploaded to yt yet? l cant watch twitch.

One thing that stood out to me, Herbal Grey:

Personally I feel you're way too liberal with your wind. You're often using it in places where it's not really needed (for example, moving in when it's not really beneficial or winding the pumpkin 3 times before going in - you could instead set a frog safely and bait a mistake), then you don't have it when trying to do a combo or mixup. This resulted in quite a lot of suboptimal midscreen combos with weak oki, or blockstrings ended with a A lobelia and only 1 or 0 wind.

Other than that you played fairly well (duh, otherwise you wouldn't have won). Some moves where used incorrectly because you didn't react correctly (random things like j.236B when the opponent is above you, sword iris while the opponent is already trapped by the frog anyway etc), but the enemy didn't punish it so whatever :D

The freestyled latetech punish vs CopperDabbit in the 2nd match, 1st round was cool.

Tip for situations like 3:08:03: RC the throw, dash up 5b, normal j.2C combo into BBL. This is something that comes up only once every 1000 matches though so it's hard to recognize it fast enough.

EDIT: lol nice end. BLOWN UP! :D

i agree that i used too much wind for pumpkin especially against ds. i think i underestimated how much he would respect it.

lol my combo execution on the late tech punish was poor, but sword iris late tech punish is legit :)

i have tried rapid cancelling my grabs before and had little luck, so i barely even think about it lol, u're right. recently, i've actually considered cutting down the number of combos i use because i make too many mistakes thinking about what i want to do. i think simplifying my game will ultimately improve my wind management and execution.

Bunch of matches from Saturday:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8wKElNOqLM vs Lambda

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pac1tANKPSg vs Hazama

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHMyiZlzR2w vs Bang

That was actually a fairly decent performance from my part this time (placed 4th out of 12 ppl). Still not optimal though so feel free to critique away :>

There was a third match recorded vs Bang but it hasn't been uploaded yet, I'll post it here when it's up.

Completely forgot about these but I might as well post them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yUkp91WcI6g#t=7624s vs Lambda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yUkp91WcI6g#t=7765s vs Lambda

Not the best Lambda player ever but hey, feel free to blow me up or give my e-penis a handjob, whatever works for you guys.

ok rele, l only had time to watch the lambda match atm, here's what l think.

-you dropped pretty much every combo. nerves perhaps? relax dude you looked pretty tense lol!

ok on to serious stuff.

-fullscreen, IAD 5d to get in, puts you right on top of her ass for the kicking. it's only good when you're bothe fullscreen. 3/4 screen you were doing the right thing with j.3d, but you didn't followup on them.

-don't delay your tech too much, lambda 5d otg's rachel for a free combo.

during j.c 2d dj.2c(lv2), input the j.2c as j.1c. in fact, just hold 1 after the dj. this baits bursts.

-you were patient but you NEED to look for patterns! this MU can get flowcharty at times. the more you block the more chances you have to think. there is no universal way in on lambda but it's alot like playing rock paper scissors. (i'll explain why later)

theres more stuff l wanna say but gtg for now

so! as l was saying about the lambda MU. all in all l think you choked too much for that to really be a measure of your skill. i'll have to watch the other matches for that.

here's my take on the MU from fullscreen (assuming you read the rc vs la mu stuff, sakaku was spot on).

first of all. of course, block. why not? despite being a zoner she's not too threatening imho IF you know what to do. spike chaser and 236a are the main problems l have here, otherwise, ib swords, get your heat (and wind), and chillax until the lambda does something risky or tedious.

once you know what she'll do next:

IAD 5d/j 3d over 5d, 214[d] (has to be really early) and 236d

dash 5d under 6d

5b/236a/214a/214b/sj beats her 214[d]. best to just sj and be patient

you can't punish 236b or c, just ib them and start pressure

chiizu, i'll edit this post in a bit to accommodate your matches...

@rele.

you're performing the instant overhead j.a incorrectly by pressing 2d before jumping. i actually knew you would overhead every time because your wind is before you jump. you should be inputting 5b/a 9 2d j.a for instant overhead.

against hazama,it looked like you were going for instant overheads (which doesn't work) or if you were trying to delay it, you failed most of the time, and when you got it to work, failed to confirm. i usually just use j.b because it's essentially the same number of frames for a delayed overhead and the combo is easier and it does more damage. however, if you do like memai and delay the 2d after you jump instead of just trying to delay the j.a, it is harder to block (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74La5TVcb3w&t=6m5s for how to do a more effective j.a delayed overhead). many times you got pumpkin instead of 4b i'm pretty sure, so something for training mode? you didn't do the 236b combo (which you can end with j.2c oki) which would have increased your damage and is relatively easy to pull off, not to mention j.2c oki isn't bad against hazama. you cut killing combos short!!! 5cc [frog hit] then 3c/5cc would have killed (i'm thinking of about 7min in to the haz vid). sometimes this is hard to realize in practice, but sometimes you would rush in with a winded pumpkin then use an unnecessary wind for 5cc. if you do dash - 5d - pumpkin hit... you can do 5b 5cc without using a wind stock a lot of the time. (see 7:15) and actually in that situation you would have os-burst baited lol. i think you could stand to throw more a-lobelias in general, since your opponent wasn't using j.2d very often (i think that's it...the jump then downward snake)

against bang. 1:05, you could have done sj 8d j.2cd for fatal counter after bbl, and you still would have recovered the wind after 3c george 236a 3c iris 3c. but that whole situation was kinda lucky, cuz he screwed up his j.4b ... in that situation it's not possible to anti air, so you're better off trying to ib, then backdash before he starts a new string .. in this case the 5a (which i'm guessing was 6a) worked for you cuz he screwed up tho. again, the overhead shouldn't be foreshadowed by a wind stock, it's pretty easy to block when you do that and i'm kinda surprised it kept working. 3:25, better corner combo is 5c 3c bbl if you realize you have the heat on the fly. 5cc then 3c is much more pro-rated. 4:57, you could have punished wakeup steel rain with 5d and dash instead of blocking. 5:12, you have time to punish with 5b instead of 5a. 5:44, better to do lvl2 j.2c into bbl. also, you keep not finishing your combo and in this situation, it would have added a lot more damage AND heat to do 5cc frog hit etc. 5:58, better to do 3c 236a then frog hit for better pro-ration and then 3c bbl.

overall, you have pretty solid fundamentals but you need to finish your combos after bbl for damage and heat gain reasons and you need to study what combos do more damage situationally than others because you'll start doing a lot more damage in general. the less damage you do, the better you have to play to win. there are also non-optimal punishes where you could punish more severely than you do (for more dmg lol). i disagree with your use of counter-assault against hazama because his block strings are pretty short, but that's a player decision. lastly i also think maybe you use the triangle jump too much because you weren't hitting with it very often and it uses a wind stock and it's kinda dangerous. on the plus side, you were able to get some good block strings off of it, but not often enough imo

good job on 4th

oh ps, i think you tried to punish hazama 5d on block with tempest dahlia? he can and should have just mizuchi'd you on reaction.

you can't punish 236b or c, just ib them and start pressure

236C is -6 on block, so it should be punishable on IB. Don't think the pushback is too high for 5B to reach her afterwards.

But decent Lambdas never throw it out randomly anyway so w/e.

you're performing the instant overhead j.a incorrectly by pressing 2d before jumping. i actually knew you would overhead every time because your wind is before you jump. you should be inputting 5b/a 9 2d j.a for instant overhead.

I never noticed this, lol. I think I'm actually doing the inputs in the correct order, but pressing D too early (like, during the hitstop of 5B). I need to focus on doing it a bit later.

against hazama,it looked like you were going for instant overheads (which doesn't work) or if you were trying to delay it, you failed most of the time, and when you got it to work, failed to confirm. i usually just use j.b because it's essentially the same number of frames for a delayed overhead and the combo is easier and it does more damage. however, if you do like memai and delay the 2d after you jump instead of just trying to delay the j.a, it is harder to block (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74La5TVcb3w&t=6m5s for how to do a more effective j.a delayed overhead).

IOH j.A is possible on Hazama with only a very small delay (less than what you'd need on Litchi), but I fucked the timing up most of the time.

The video you linked looks to me like the timing you'd use for 5B j.2DB, just j.B swapped with j.A.

Matsu does this a lot more effectively imo http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yyy7A6gFc3I#t=6m20s

Although it looks like he still does the wind before the jump. So just going with j.B into fuzzy guard might actually be the better choice sometimes. I simply don't like single j.B as OH because it's hard to hitconfirm.

many times you got pumpkin instead of 4b i'm pretty sure, so something for training mode?

Not really sure what you mean, the only accidental pumpkins were at 4:07 and 6:09, that's not many to me. But yeah, those were hard chokes D:

you didn't do the 236b combo (which you can end with j.2c oki) which would have increased your damage and is relatively easy to pull off, not to mention j.2c oki isn't bad against hazama.

Always forget about that combo, I should really use it more in some matchups. Thank for the reminder.

you cut killing combos short!!! 5cc [frog hit] then 3c/5cc would have killed (i'm thinking of about 7min in to the haz vid).

You're right, that was stupid. I wasn't too sure how strongly the proration affected the untechable time at this point, so I kept it simple. But it would've been entirely possible.

sometimes this is hard to realize in practice, but sometimes you would rush in with a winded pumpkin then use an unnecessary wind for 5cc. if you do dash - 5d - pumpkin hit... you can do 5b 5cc without using a wind stock a lot of the time. (see 7:15) and actually in that situation you would have os-burst baited lol.

Talk about autopilot :v: You're right.

against bang. 1:05, you could have done sj 8d j.2cd for fatal counter after bbl, and you still would have recovered the wind after 3c george 236a 3c iris 3c. but that whole situation was kinda lucky, cuz he screwed up his j.4b ... in that situation it's not possible to anti air, so you're better off trying to ib, then backdash before he starts a new string .. in this case the 5a (which i'm guessing was 6a) worked for you cuz he screwed up tho.

True, and thanks for the tip with IB then backdash.

again, the overhead shouldn't be foreshadowed by a wind stock, it's pretty easy to block when you do that and i'm kinda surprised it kept working.

Not sure what you mean, at which time?

3:25, better corner combo is 5c 3c bbl if you realize you have the heat on the fly. 5cc then 3c is much more pro-rated.

Lol yeah, that was a hard brain fart. I probably wanted to do the usual corner combo, the realized I had 50 heat and did BBL, then thought to myself "oh crap I just fucked up the proration" and cut the combo short because of that. Wasted meter really.

4:57, you could have punished wakeup steel rain with 5d and dash instead of blocking.

Thanks for the tip, noone here ever uses that super so I didn't know what the optimal way to handle it was (also thought I'd still be in lobelia recovery).

5:44, better to do lvl2 j.2c into bbl. also, you keep not finishing your combo and in this situation, it would have added a lot more damage AND heat to do 5cc frog hit etc.

I agree with lvl j.2C. However, in this situation that was the most optimal ender I could do since I screwed up the timing on the first 5CC and the frog activated too early (hell, I dropped like every combo in the Bang match...).

5:58, better to do 3c 236a then frog hit for better pro-ration and then 3c bbl.

I should've done a completely meterless combo tbh, lol. I need to get rid of this habit of blowing meter for BBL every time I have it.

Thanks for pointing all this out, I didn't really realize until now that I was doing suboptimal combos all the time. I shall work on this more from now on.

oh ps, i think you tried to punish hazama 5d on block with tempest dahlia? he can and should have just mizuchi'd you on reaction.

Not even I am stupid enough to believe you could punish Hazama's 5D~A on block :v: (It's like +infinity if I'm not mistaken)

No, I simply guessed that he would overcommit to 5D~A cancels and I was right twice :) I know he can Mizuchi it, but I was sure he wouldn't think about it in those situations since he had the momentum.

chiizu do you mind timestamping your matches if the vid is gonna be long? lol its taking me a long time to find the match

Huh, TD they are already timestamped (maybe your browser is buggy or sth).

One starts at 2:07:00, the other at 2:09:30.

aaaand triple post!

so chiizu l watched your matches.

i'll give a general of what l saw.

pressure - needs revision. your tick throws were a little on the obvious side. rachel has plenty of options to cycle through

neutral - needs revision. you were messing up j.3d and wasting wind. you didnt summon anything, just ran in. although that's understandable with a less experienced foe.

combos/oki - ok. i'd say get the j.2c stuff down consistently. you were summoning george very late for oki? you also went for less damaging combos, and didnt kill at 2:08:02. also, after j.2c ender its best to summon pumpkin if you have wind.

i'm going to start using gli's format to rate matches after this

@TD

3:16 - too aggressive imo. by the time you make it to the corner and are pressuring carl you only have one wind stock for mixup and combo. right now, he's just sitting there waiting to gain doll meter which would be a nice time to attack, but there's not much you can do in this situation. better probs to just regain your wind and set-up some lobelias/rods.

3:36 NICE

3:51 It's hard (especially online) to stay on the ground and wait for carl, but akira just throws out doll attacks so it's better to just wait for him to do something with the doll then escape, rather than trying to quickly get out of the corner.

4:19 yay netplay...can't punish 3c properly

4:27 nice combo, but a terrible finisher ... purple grab???

5:09 you can just 5b after a lobelia hit from that range...and really?? purple grab again??

5:37 i think i would have bbl'd there, not for damage, but to gain my wind back...especially when carl has full doll meter

5:41 NICE is that char specific?? lol troll burst

6:22 this is one of a few instances where i thought you should have just 6a'd ragna

7:30 that was a pretty bad summon, ragna's gonna come rushing you down in that situation 99 times out of 100

8:13 coulda 6a'd...

8:33 i woulda tried to yomi 6a at that point even, cuz ragnas have a habit of doing hop then iad right before hitting the ground

10:32 yeah, even with an 8d you can't go from 3[c] into bbl on netplay...i think i woulda done 9d 5b 6a bbl, but i bet there are better things to do

10:46 lol, NOW is the time to attack...not wait for the doll to activate.. carl's health is so low you just need like one good combo to kill him, you don't even have to worry about the doll.

11:19 not the best way to stall for time...now you're out of wind and sandwiched between car and the doll

11:40 i guess carl also thinks he's tricky with the hop then iad...coulda 6a yomi'd that

12:22 lol, yeah, even baiting a counter-assault is bad in that situation...you can bait counter-assault also by running up and then summoning pumpkin just out of range. you'd be surprised how often it works.

12:30 what? where'd all your wind go?

22:08 the ragnas i play against will rapid cancel their counter assaults into pressure, so also not a great place to just sit and barrier...iad j.2c works well too

24:16 i think you coulda killed with 6a bbl FC j.2c after 236b

24:55 killing icicle with the pumpkin is interesting and lolzy, but i think there are better ways lol.

25:30 you had baited a burst before and now you don't...doing kerokero is a risk bc if they burst you're left with no wind...if you're trying to bait burst, i suggest continuing to bait with j.c 2d j.c bbl which is burst safe......usually, if ppl see you bait a burst and fail, they will burst at the next possible moment (i personally don't like baiting bursts in more "serious" play)

in general, very nice play. some of your uses of 4b were smart. still using too much wind in neutral and leaving yourself a sitting duck with no wind imo but you generally find ways to use it to your yomi advantage lol. i think this was parts a symptom of it being netplay, but (sometimes!!) you could also stand to be a little more patient, waiting for an opponent's mistake rather than trying to do something right away. congrats to sticking with rachel when i haven't.

not that i play this super hard character anymore :P

but i whipped it out for a few games for some reason against xie at like 10pm after like 5 hours of playing this silly game.

since all i seem to do is critique others it seems in this thread lol, i'll give peeps a chance. attack at will. i hate this matchup

4 hours 12 minutes into the vid (sorry td, it's twitch). the rachel before me is neozero. just 3 short matches of me losing lol then winning with arakune.

http://www.twitch.tv/xiei/b/319472994