Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yoshara

The Alberta thread: "Wait, we have a scene for games other than SF?!"

Well, with how nonexistant the Alberta thread was, I decided to start a new(?) one up.

Seeing as we have a relatively small scene, but one that still exists, I will be trying to keep up with posting any casual events that will have BB, even if I am the only one bringing a set up for it.

Yo, Canada is getting nice with that "Fighting-scene-other-than-SF" eh?

I thought this was true for the world sans japan.

I'm in Edmonton.

Late reply, but pretty much the reason I made this thread was so what little of a community we have in Alberta can at the least be informed of what is going on and when, that way it doesn't end up dieing.

hey heeey

here are the video results for the last big tournament we had in alberta

BBCS Victa (Ragna) vs Astupidcrayon_eg (Lamda) Grind Finals Canada Cup Grand Finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhZEBXnTG-s

BBCS Victa (Ragna) vs Astupidcrayon_eg (Lamda) Grind Finals 2 Canada Cup Grand Finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdAGG3Xs29k

BBCS Astupidcrayon_EG (Lamda) vs Scum (Arakune) Winners Finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LA9EVZ4w7c

BBCS Victa (Ragna) vs MSG (Lamda) Losers Semi Finals Canada Cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PgyKz3yL3s

Also I will be hosting a tournament for the 15th of January 15th. We will be live streaming this event sooo look forward to it =D

Lol all ya want, But we aint gonna run bb in edmonton since we could never get more than 6 people together for the game, Also "lol'ing" at a game and its community is really ignorant. I don't see what the point is in that,. If you don't wish to play the game that is fine, but at Canada Cup Calgary did have a strong showing.

In all the times we hosted GG NO ONE CAME, not a single sole. it was embarrassing to say the least when we ran WCC2 and I was the only person who was going to enter ggxx with the Calgary guys.

So lol yourself to death and stop shitting on the game.

I laughed at the game, not the community. I don't care if you play MUGEN or random doujin fighter, that's your business. We don't play the game here for whatever reason I didn't care to state.

And yeah, WCC2. We brought 10+ people (Teyah from BC included), spent a decent amount of cash and time to get up there, and you brought 2. Legitimately, that isn't your fault, and I respect the fact that you tried to make shit happen, but in the end nothing happened and that was out of your hands. I blame your GG "community", not you.

To be honest, we had no idea about the BB turnout at Canada Cup, as we didn't bother attending. You can understand our skepticism.

Yeah that isn't a problem, but oddly enough those guys who cam, well some of them actually play gg, they could be some of your players or they could be brand new players! The thing is there isa much bigger scene in calgary then there is in edmonton.

THe only real differance is that in edmonton I go out of my way to track down players and get them to come out. and your guys scene is just starting, canada cup got it started all together!

I'll post what I posted in the western Canada thread here just to help things out so here goes.

To be honest I got onto GG late, I played more sf and vs style games, so my understanding of the GG series has been limited, Also edmonton is horrid for GG we tried it failed and when I held WCC2, not a single edmonton player came and all of calgary came. It was pretty sad to say the least.

Now with blaz i am able to find out that lots of these BB players were playing GG with very small groups of friends. But I mean sure the game is not as good as it could be now. I use tao and i got my own list fo complaints for her.

BB is basically sf4 for the doujin player. But it is here until another GG comes out. I am not here to force a game on anyone, but if the scene over all for BB keeps growing and the scene for GG over time gets older and more people start to play less and less competitively then who is at a real loss?

I'm only saying this because I'd hate to see players who have the potencial to become really good at one game refuse to play it because of some shit they don't like. Capcom made capcom fighting game and before that it was snk made snk vs capcom chaos, both games did very very poor, all capcom took that as is, people dont like fighting games anymore, so fuck it.

Idk what made them decide to make sf4 but they did and it exploded the SF scene and brought back the heart and soul of the fighting game community.

BB isn't going to be a revitialization for the GG scene and I wouldn't pretend to say as such, but it is what people want to play now, not OG's in the GG scene, but more players over all. I stopped playing GG when I seen no one was going to bother playing it and no one was showing up for tournaments. People are playing BB and its getting a lot of time out there. I think even if the game isn't that great just support the shit. If people want to play it don't shove GG>BB down their throats because that is what the smash bros kids do and honesty... We can do better than that.

I won't claim to be a well known GG or BB player I mean shit, i am trash at both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvcQNKrZ2g8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u38LHTAbXo

But I understand the need for support in a city for any gaming community. That is just my take on it. I personally suck ass at SSF4 but I will enter a tournament and I will travel to cgy toronto montreal ottawa winnipeg and if they held shit down in van i would go there to. Just as i have in the past.

I think 2-3 of our guys showed up. Should have been the Sol player, Johnny player, and maybe a Venom player.

And yeah, you definitely get props for going out and hunting for players. It's hard, especially when a lot of people tend to quit due to being discouraged or whatever reason.

Regarding your post copied from the BC guys, we pretty much share the same sentiments as they do. BBCS does feel like a degraded version of GG. The game still looks great, but the mechanics of the game are not something that we enjoy. That may be because the majority of us have played GG since XX. We grew up on the game, and BBCS takes all the fun and complex mechanics we enjoy and either gives them to everyone for free (super Jump Install for example), or removes them completely (FRCs, 1F jump).

Now, to each their own. I understand some people really love BB, especially people who are just jumping into the fighting game scene and don't enjoy Super Shoto Fighter 4. Likewise, I understand some people absolutely hate the anime-style and prefer SSF4 over BBCS. As for us, it feels less painful to play SSF4 and GG, than it does to play GG and BBCS, simply because the game mechanics are significantly different, and don't lay over much into one another.

Regardless, fuck all that shit when Arcana Heart 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 are out.

I wonder if arcana will get a scene, i was a bit sad to see NO ONE wanted to EVER play melty blood, i actually like that

and yeah mvc3 will destory all the doujin games.... so long as they didnt fuck it up =s

I'd like to point out, a lot of it is pretty disorganized.

The only time I even heard of any fighting stuff was through an acquaintance randomly, and even then there wasn't really much support or anything. Only time now that I hear about is Animeathon.

Speaking of Animeathon, I do have some beefs about that. It didn't have GG, but thats understandable considering whats been going on. What irked me was when it came down to playing the actual tournaments, we were asked to stay out of the room (Spectators). Why?!? This doesn't make any sense. There's no way to drum up hype if you're gonna not show people that its fun to go out, learn, play, meet people. I got nothing from the couple times I've been around the community.

Secondly, there was nothing for introductions at all. I had maybe 2 guys ever even talk to me, introduce themselves, ask me questions. I was left kinda out while everyone was playing their 3S on the Laptop, or (understandably) busy organizing. There was absolutely no sense of community.

The one time I went to Calgary to play, even for a few hours. I played more, met more people than I have ever in Edmonton. Even helped them push/shovel a car out of the snow (LOL). I went down to play Teyah as he was there once, for just 4 or so hours, but I learned more from his advice and just talking than I ever did here or online. And in the end, I had fun, which is all that mattered to me.

Needless to say, I think internal workings of Edmontons Community need work before anything larger can become of it.

Why not ask 'Play 'n' Trade' to host one? Heck I'll even ask (The stores a block from my place) and help organize with stuff. This community in this city needs to branch out and be inviting, not some closed off niche, which totally turned me off.

I have talked with Raptor and Teyah on IRC about this stuff, so maybe we can make something happen.

But its gotta start at home.

Lol dude I have been organizing tournaments in Edmonton since about 2006. I did run the games room for a while at animethon and then stopped when it just became more of a hassle running the room and I had no way of ever talking to players.

The reason we had to kick people out of the room constantly was because every 5 min I would get a call saying we are close to the fire code, if we have more thn 60 people between the two rooms, it will be shut down.

To my understanding that wasn't true, considering the two rooms capacity was 45 in each room. If this is the year I am remembering, we had BB there and I was unable to speak with everyone about what ever they talked to. But the people I did manage to talk to are in our community even now.

I have my site up and running now and If you need some form of reffrance as to how I organize events in Edmonton I can link you to our Results section so you can see how many people actually show up to each event, or to our flyer part of the site so you can see i'm not fibbing about holding tournaments since such and such date.

When Tom was living in Edmonton I wasn't in a state to get the word out there for GG and had very limited access to even putting flyes in stores, since they would assume I wanted something from them. I have been putting in a considerable amount of work for BB because I have seen GG fail so hard in Edmonton and how frustrating it is to see a community for a good game just fade away for no good reason.

I had a friend of mine hosting online ranking battles and have had starting pots for BB tournaments. I knocked on doors and got BB to be in Canada Cup, I place it in every SF tournament that is hosted. I am not the best player in this game, far from it. But I love the competition that stems from a community atmosphere.

When Tom was here we did do some small house events where ever we could. But they did not go for to long, the small amount of players that did play were getting better (maaaybe) but the fact was, Tom was from Calgary and so was Mike, very few people in Edmonton cared enough the community for that game so nothing came of it.

The final nail in the coffin is when certain individuals said that they would show up for WCC2 and would fight vs Calgary, then never showed up and no one said a single word about GG. I put my efforts into other gaming communities and never herd anything from anyone about GG until we were well into our BB community.

I have no problem what so ever with trying to build on GG as I like the game and Even though I'm trash at it, I would play it regardless.

When I say trash, I mean TRASH

I played the game for about a month and stopped when NO ONE else was playing the game what so ever, not even like 3 people ish.

here is what our level of skilled looked like

Minus TTN who is NOT Edmonton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nn0Ss2vsKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esrIDzfMS5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cDUKchlaFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvcQNKrZ2g8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2byLolz74

I gotta kinda laugh at myself for the bad quality in both my game play and the videos with the big black lines hahaha.

Thankfully now I use a HD PVR so the videos come out looking nice and fine.

Oh here is the links for the events I was referring to before.

http://www.edmontongamers.com/tournamentresults.htm

http://www.edmontongamers.com/photos.htm

I'm not posting these to show off, but just to show you that, hey I have been doing events and have communites for games outside of GG and they did grow and they did do well, but no one showed up for GG"

If anything FUCK YEAH lets get GG going in Edmonton, What I can do right now is add it to the current tournament we are doing in Jan and after that just run GG along with every BB tournament we host. Worst case scenario is we get 4-8 people interested and keep the scene for that game going. Best is both GG and BB grow and become larger than SF (Wishful thinking yes..)

aweyea first post.

I'm from Alberta, might as well throw myself into this awesome thread.

edmonton hahaha.

I find myself a very casual gamer until I got into BBCS--I started to play a lot of that, and decided to try a competitive touch with it after first term ended at UofA. I'm not very good at the moment, but I'm still trying (hence why I finally joined dustloop X: ).

I'm not a big fan of tournaments in Animethon... Even if I did help with the Brawl tournament last summer, hahahaha. But I feel your pain Shiro, it's pretty annoying being in the games room... (even if I pretty much was there all last year).

I've played a bit of GG Accent core, and would be willing to play more if I thought about buying it, haha. I also think Melty Blood looks cool -- but once again... guess whose being cheap.

Hey thats another thing Melty blood I tried SOOO hard to get a community going and jesus i couldnt even get my little sister to play it with me. She just said, why are there only girls in this game? I was like well this guy has a knife and he's a student, she cut em off saying he looks like a girl with no tits" I stopped right there and said heey lets try guitar hero its fun and you can play all day....

Oh and for the people from Edmonton who are interested in playing any of these doujin games we DO have our own little scene in Edmonton at www.edmontongamers.com and I am more than willing to host a weekly gathering for BB GG and MB (if i can find the game)

Lol dude I have been organizing tournaments in Edmonton since about 2006.

Like the GG tourney at WCC2 where you promised 20 locals and a total turnout of 40+. I drive 8 hours to Edmonton. Yet only me and 8 Calgary guys showed up. Seeing that we were tricked, we left to go hang out elsewhere.

Not a single Edmonton GG player has ever showed up to any GG tourney in the NW. How you could advertise 20 locals in good conscience is beyond me.

Fast forward to 2010. Canada Cup. I enter BB and SSF4. I am at my pool (Pool D) which is literally 8 feet from the BB setup yet I do not get called and am DQed. Later I am told that you refused to refund my $10 entry fee.

Please stay out of the GG scene, we don't need people like you

Thanks

Sorry Teyah, I was busy that day you know that! :(

Anyways,

That's great that you've been running tournies since then, but that's irrelevant and the post doesn't need your boasting (No offence, but it came off like that). From a (mostly) outsiders view, it was really disorganized and uninviting. Like I said, the time I went, only 2-3 people even bothered to say Hi. The scene in Calgary grows because they invite, they talk, they play, almost weekly from my understanding talking with Raptor. It is truly a community that's connected. The only person I really can put a name to a face, is yourself actually, the couple times I've met you which were extremely brief.

At least you answered the Animeathon question, at least we know why (Although the doorman could have easily said something TBH). But other then that, you really didn't say how you're going to solve anything. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to paste a few posters @ UofA, Grant Mac, Nait, EBGames and Play 'N' Trade. For more new players and gamers, they're not gonna find out that there's a forum called www.edmontongamers.com. They're more likely to find it via a friend of a friend that saw a sign at EBGames as he went to buy GranTurismo5 or something. Without prior knowledge of how to find the time for the Tournaments, had to do some digging to find your January Tournament, which is on Jan 22nd, @ West Ed (I'm assuming Ice Rink room again). I'm surprised there no poster outside there advertising for it nor anywhere. I had to dig reasonably deep to find it. (By reasonably, I'm talking most people would give up much earlier trying to find it).

I can count 3 people that play GG in Edmonton off hand, more probably lurking somewhere and only 2 people (Bera and Myself) that idles in IRC for GGXX#R Online. In other words, yah its small but they're there. If you're still interested, perhaps you'd like to play online with us. irc.chatpspike.net - #reloadonline . There's even GGXXAC online using (crappy) Kaillera netcode that we could play on. We're both in Edmonton, so ping/frames shouldn't be that big of an issue, at most 2frame Delay. We can start right there, and I'm inviting. Hell, if you want to play GG at my Condo, feel free. You only need 3-4 people to get a Scene going, so lets stop whining and complaining and lets get it done.

As for Melty Blood, I have MBACverB (PC) and MBAA (PS2 JP ver), so that is not a problem. I didn't bother learning MBAA because no one played it, as probably yourself. So with us 2, possibly 3, that is not a problem either. I'll throw in Umineko coming out this January in here as well, and for the hell of it AH3.

I can't say anything for SF and the VS Scene, I know that scene is strong and growing especially thanks to SSF4. I will not deny that. However, if we want a larger scene (even for BB), things gotta be better. I'm willing to help as I've seen the state of the community and been there, but it sounds like you don't want any help at all!!

If you're still willing to play GG or even lol-mashing some MB, give me a shout.

I'm sure if I can get 3-4 people even bi-weekly, Raptor said he'd get Calgary guys to come up and that would mean good things.

Like the GG tourney at WCC2 where you promised 20 locals and a total turnout of 40+. I drive 8 hours to Edmonton. Yet only me and 8 Calgary guys showed up. Seeing that we were tricked, we left to go hang out elsewhere.

Not a single Edmonton GG player has ever showed up to any GG tourney in the NW. How you could advertise 20 locals in good conscience is beyond me.

Fast forward to 2010. Canada Cup. I enter BB and SSF4. I am at my pool (Pool D) which is literally 8 feet from the BB setup yet I do not get called and am DQed. Later I am told that you refused to refund my $10 entry fee.

Please stay out of the GG scene, we don't need people like you

Thanks

Sorry buddy we did call your name you can ask ANYONE who was in that tournament standing in my vocal range. Also I never said ONCE that oh we are going to have 20 people from Edmonton who are going to enter this event.

Sai, throw-back-kitty, links_sword and haseo had their own gatherings going on at their home and said collectively that they would go, they had a pretty solid scene considering that they were just playing at someones house, but they NEVER came out to ANY of our events ever...

Me and Azn sk8er as well as astral all said we'd enter GG but none of us were even on average skill level at the game.

Don't take your anger out on me on the net when you clearly are just jumping in this thread to point fingers and accuse me of something I did not do.

IIRC I did say things along the lines of we should have about 20 people. But that is still assuming people form out small thing we had going came as well as. I only said they were coming because they were posting constantly that they'd be there, they were practicing, they even gave me some footage of throw-back playing GG and said it'd be good for a high light reel for the tournament.

So I really didn't have any reason to believe they would not they weren't coming. Then the day of the event, none of them showed up, not even the local guys.

In regards to you not getting your entry fee from Canada cup, um I was running a bracket, I DID NOT take anyone. The only time money came about is when the tournament was done and I was given the envelops for 1st 2nd and 3rd. There would not have even been a BB tournament if Dirstrong and myself did not make a big deal out of it. The event had the 2nd highest entries in the side tournaments at CC.

PS you don't have to give a SHIT about me doing ANYTHING for the BB or GG community but you only represent Calgary not Edmonton, so if I wish to start the GG scene here I am for sure going to do that. Slandering me isn't going to help the development of it.

What is funny is when calgary held their first SF4 tournament at the university I came talked to Tom and everyone else who was there (don't remember any names) I played in some casuals and wanted to enter the event but I don;t think i had enough money to do so. You elected not to bring this issue up with me. If you did I would have no problem discussing it what so ever.

Last but not leaset. I am sorry that we held what is prolly the WORST GG tournament in history, but there is no way for me to FORCE people to come down and play. i called people i got no answer I asked people to call people and got no reply. I looked like shit and i did not present a good tournament for Edmonton and you guys came down for nothing, for that I DO apologize. But don't think that I am going to just not try to get a scene going simply because you dislike me for a mistake I may have made in the past.

Sorry Teyah, I was busy that day you know that! :(

Anyways,

That's great that you've been running tournies since then, but that's irrelevant and the post doesn't need your boasting (No offence, but it came off like that). From a (mostly) outsiders view, it was really disorganized and uninviting. Like I said, the time I went, only 2-3 people even bothered to say Hi. The scene in Calgary grows because they invite, they talk, they play, almost weekly from my understanding talking with Raptor. It is truly a community that's connected. The only person I really can put a name to a face, is yourself actually, the couple times I've met you which were extremely brief.

At least you answered the Animeathon question, at least we know why (Although the doorman could have easily said something TBH). But other then that, you really didn't say how you're going to solve anything. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to paste a few posters @ UofA, Grant Mac, Nait, EBGames and Play 'N' Trade. For more new players and gamers, they're not gonna find out that there's a forum called www.edmontongamers.com. They're more likely to find it via a friend of a friend that saw a sign at EBGames as he went to buy GranTurismo5 or something. Without prior knowledge of how to find the time for the Tournaments, had to do some digging to find your January Tournament, which is on Jan 22nd, @ West Ed (I'm assuming Ice Rink room again). I'm surprised there no poster outside there advertising for it nor anywhere. I had to dig reasonably deep to find it. (By reasonably, I'm talking most people would give up much earlier trying to find it).

I can count 3 people that play GG in Edmonton off hand, more probably lurking somewhere and only 2 people (Bera and Myself) that idles in IRC for GGXX#R Online. In other words, yah its small but they're there. If you're still interested, perhaps you'd like to play online with us. irc.chatpspike.net - #reloadonline . There's even GGXXAC online using (crappy) Kaillera netcode that we could play on. We're both in Edmonton, so ping/frames shouldn't be that big of an issue, at most 2frame Delay. We can start right there, and I'm inviting. Hell, if you want to play GG at my Condo, feel free. You only need 3-4 people to get a Scene going, so lets stop whining and complaining and lets get it done.

As for Melty Blood, I have MBACverB (PC) and MBAA (PS2 JP ver), so that is not a problem. I didn't bother learning MBAA because no one played it, as probably yourself. So with us 2, possibly 3, that is not a problem either. I'll throw in Umineko coming out this January in here as well, and for the hell of it AH3.

I can't say anything for SF and the VS Scene, I know that scene is strong and growing especially thanks to SSF4. I will not deny that. However, if we want a larger scene (even for BB), things gotta be better. I'm willing to help as I've seen the state of the community and been there, but it sounds like you don't want any help at all!!

If you're still willing to play GG or even lol-mashing some MB, give me a shout.

I'm sure if I can get 3-4 people even bi-weekly, Raptor said he'd get Calgary guys to come up and that would mean good things.

Our SF scene is prolly the most strong next to SC we do have a weekly gathering at the Boston Pizza by nate.

Also please try to understand that I was speaking only in terms of what I was doing back then.

When we host events now we go to all the nex wave and game cities in edmonton. Posting a flyer in EB games if very very hard. Infact your not allowed to do it what so ever. simply because they are not a mom and pops joint and they have said more than once you need to speak to their PR. who then say it needs to be something dealing with all EB games, and when they say all EB games they don't mean Edmonton. I went threw a lot of shit trying to get into gamestop/eb Games and they are pretty stern.

We have players now like Killey or Astupid crayon myself dusk and a few others that would play GG I'm pretty sure we could have a decent scene for it. Jesus I look at my matches and just really shake my head at how fucking bad I played.

Back to that animethon thing. dude If you ment the tournament where this went down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUI7s7vKeo

omfg that is funny, the story behind that is i got that room at 6pm that day only because i bitched that they said it'd be open and such and such time and then never opend it,. theys aid your welcome to have the room. No one i knew even kenw wtf GG was or how to play it. i recorded this event with a old ass webcam and I thought it was recording audio but it wasn't I wasn't very good at organizing anything really.

I forgot to mention that I do go on the bus/train when it comes time to host an event and toss flyers around. I started doing the whole facebook at thing and it is kinda meh, nothing over the top. I am currently working on a deal with EB games for somehting I rather not post about until it actually goes down....

I am willing to host weekly gathers for gg MB and BB since these games seem to suffer in Edmonton due to the fact that they are not as heavely advertised as SF4 and soon to be MVC3. Hell I would do TvC as well but uhh yeah no one but ME wants to play it =/