Sign in to follow this  
Shadowcuz

Eddie Q&A's

been using for a while now, but i really wanna learn him properly. during blockstuns while eddie is out, eddie usually drags behind me, ne advice on movin him up while pressuring still? thnx

Big Eddie will be out in front when applying mixup/pressure with mawaru. Move little Eddie a bit while doing a normal like 5S or 2D. for example you do -K- 6K 214S -K- 6P (5S)* -K- *The 5S can be used to extend the ground combo and allow you to edge little Eddie closer to do Mawaru and continue the combo, if little Eddie is too far behind for whatever reason. Also while going for the knockdown into Puddle. You would do 2P 5S (2D)* -H- *When you do the 2D you can actually do 3D and little Eddie will creep up while you knock them down. This gives you enough time to set the puddle for the unblockable. Of course if Little Eddie's to far you'll just do 2D -D- 22D unblockable. Hoped that helped...:psyduck: I suck at explaining Eddie gameplay since I play solely on muscle memory..

What are Eddie's good regular throw ticks or setups? I have a plethora of command throw setups with its extra range, but sometimes ill try and get tricky and drop a shadow hole behind me or something in mawaru pressure but it seems i always push away too far with my tick hit and miss the throw. Can someone give me some tips or help?

In -K- pressure you can jump up and landing command grab/low/high mixup. Or you can 5P>2P>2K>-P->run up low/command grab mixup. There are many ways but those are the two that seem to work best for me since you can mixup more than highs and low.

Hey guys, got a question that may/may not have been asked, i'm putting this up while i read through the Q and A for eddie, and i know what im asking may be a basic question, but im still kinda stuck on eddie stuff and wanted some second opinions on it. question 1: having a bit of trouble doing eddie ground combos. while i know there is a difference between the standing/crouching combos and ive been looking at them, im having difficulty with the timing of Little eddies -k- mawaru in the combos, which usually results in me foolishly dropping the combo. any advice on mawaru timing after i've broken their guard and started a combo? question 2: any particularly fantastic meaties with the shadow out or w/o shadow available aside from invite hell FRC? sorry if these are stupid questions, i've been reading through the eddie essentials guide by Teyah (speaking of which, kudos to everyone who helped with that, including Teyah). from some self-review, i can break guard with high/low and sometimes tick throw, but combos just seem kinda difficult for me.

Ok if standing you're like me you would do -K-(1) r.2P K(2) 6P(1) 5.cS -K- repeat. The trick is for the K after 5.cS is to wait on the hitstun the opponent will be in, which is quite a bit, then do -K- and you'll be able to dash 2P repeat. Crouching it's K(2) 6P(2) 5.cS repeat. Same ting, after 5.cS you gotta time your K. And make sure you always start your mixup high/low after a 2ndK hit, since they can't move and have to take your attack, which will be the mixup. Nice meaties are the wakeup unblockable into combo of your choice, puddle unblockable. A really interesting meaty is one I first witnessed being done by latif, in which he goes next to the knockdowned opponent and does drunken shade right before the timing when the opponent can grab, as if the opponent tries to grab they can't because DS has a throw invulnerability frame, earning you a free normal hit which you can FRC, or a CH which will make em bounce off the wall, which you should dash afterwards and combo with either 5K 5S JC j.k j.HS j.D, or 6P(2) JC j.k j.HS j.D. And remember, practice makes perfect, you gotta practice that K.

On a standing opponent it's always better to do -K-, r.2P 6P(2) -K-. Better stun with the 2 6Ps. Also I wanna point out that the drunkard shade mixups on wakeup are originally Marlinpie's not Latif's. I know since I stole it from him way back...;) A few ways to set it up, is with a wiffed normal or with a blocked one. For example after knock down with far drill, you can IAD in and wiff J.h as they're getting up, then do Drunkard shade for the CH. After wallbounce you want to follow up with a dash in into 6P(2) then air combo.

On a standing opponent it's always better to do

-K-, r.2P 6P(2) -K-. Better stun with the 2 6Ps.

Also I wanna point out that the drunkard shade mixups on wakeup are originally Marlinpie's not Latif's. I know since I stole it from him way back...;)

A few ways to set it up, is with a wiffed normal or with a blocked one.

For example after knock down with far drill, you can IAD in and wiff J.h as they're getting up, then do Drunkard shade for the CH.

After wallbounce you want to follow up with a dash in into 6P(2) then air combo.

I had no idea who the drunken shade wakeup is originally for, but the first time I saw it was in a latif vs. millia match. That millia was crazy..

Just wanna say its been a while since I posted my question on tick throw setups. I've found 5K to be wayyyyyy better than 5P or anything else. It leaves u in range for a regular throw (if u time it right) so u can throw backwards into a puddle, or sets you up for a 623S command throw. Just wanted to say in case anyone reads. Also way better b/c its one of your primary mixups, leaving the opponent thinking about blocking your mixup instead of watching for tick throw setups. J.u(nothing) land and throw is sexy as hell, too. Thanks Mamation.

Just wanna say its been a while since I posted my question on tick throw setups. I've found 5K to be wayyyyyy better than 5P or anything else. It leaves u in range for a regular throw (if u time it right) so u can throw backwards into a puddle, or sets you up for a 623S command throw. Just wanted to say in case anyone reads. Also way better b/c its one of your primary mixups, leaving the opponent thinking about blocking your mixup instead of watching for tick throw setups.

J.u(nothing) land and throw is sexy as hell, too. Thanks Mamation.

5K as a tickthrow during -K- mixup can be tricky, as the opponent is usually paying attention to which way to block at the time. Definitely one of the better ticks.

ju.nothing is indeed a good grab mixup, but requires that you actually jump between the two hits of -K-, and a skilled opponent can see the option to backdash safely escape at no risk when they see you jump.

Excuse me is it possible to destroy an opponent after getting hit by the puddle?

If you're asking whether it's possible to IK someone who's simply stuck in the puddle, the answer is that you can't. That would be too easy, now wouldn't it?

You have to stun the opponent (or in A.B.A's case, get her bar to 1/3 or below) during or before the puddle. The puddle doesn't help you execute an IK any more effectively, but it does allow you to stun the enemy much more easily, which then leads into the IK. In A.B.A's case, you can get her down to 1/3 or less Moroha bar with a puddle unblockable, then charge your IK while she's stuck in the puddle, then trip her for the short stun and follow with IK.

I've got a question regarding the 22S, backdash, 22H FRC, IAD j.S setup.

I've been trying to find a followup for when the drill hits before the j.S but I haven't found anything that wouldn't allow the opponent to tech out right away. Am I supposed to always hit the j.S before the drill? Since the drill does another knockdown and all, which is cool. But doesn't that make the entire thing somewhat blockable if the order (first high, then low) can be expected?

BTW, massive necro.

I'm new to eddie and I know you can hold a button and release for the shadow to attack later but with is it that players do to have only one shadow move come out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01uUyvZ7UMo&list=PL1584805A3B69CAFB&index=78&feature=plpp_video

For example at 0:49, the eddie is using a whole bunch of other inputs but the shadow isn't executing those attacks and he's able to make it only do-K-

He holds the buttons. He releases one for the move, and others while the shadow is in the middle of the move.

So what your saying is (I know the following doesn't gatling I'm just using this as an example)

If I'm doing P,S,K,HS and I want only the K shadow move to happen I click and hold P, then click and hold S and let go of P, then click and hold K and let go of S, then release K before clicking HS to have the K shadow move happen?

No, that would give you a P release and nothing else. You hold all 4 buttons down and let go of K at the end. The shadow doesn't care about what move you're currently in yourself, it will perform independent of you. Once the shadow is performing the K release is usually the point where the player lets go of the other buttons to 'clear' it up, since the shadow is busy with the K release and won't take any other button releases as command.

Hey just a quick question about the transition from AC to +r

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere, but as a player who's new to GG and has been loving Eddie playing super casually on/off since #Reload, how worth it is it to invest in learning the AC version of Eddie with the intent of playing him when +r drops? Lots of other FG experience so I'm not worried about adapting to balance changes, but from my complete lack of understanding the game I worry that just reading the changelist isn't going to tell me enough nuance to know what setups and combos and stuff are worth learning with +r on its way eventually. I'm on Xbox right now, have a ps3 just no intention of dealing with the Japanese account stuff to play +r.

So is it worthwhile for me to learn the current AC stuff and is there tech I shouldn't bother with because of how it's changed in +r is my core question? I just know ASW is known for scrapping characters and starting fresh sometimes.

Does Eddie have any good setups or combos with the Weiss shadow midscreen?

Good midscreen combos are either SG loop into -D- 22H unblockable or puddle combo into 22H IAD j.S unblockable, both things you can't do with Weiss. It's mostly the problem that you can't use Weiss' -H- midscreen at all, but that move is the reason why you want to get that shadow out in the first place. There's the wheel flight mixup that has strong corner carry potential (However, you can do flight mixup with the regular Eddie -K- just as well), and that's pretty much all you can do other than poverty -S- launcher into aircombo right away.

Hey, not sure if this should go here, but there is no general combo thread for Eddie.

I'm intending to play Zato in Xrd, but want to learn the basics of him as well as actually learn to negative edge +R. So I've been through the guides, the +R changelist, and watched a fair bit of him, but was hoping you folks could give me some help.

Watching most Eddie's, stuff happens fast enough that I'm not sure exactly what people are negative edging and when they are letting go of buttons.  I've practiced a bit with some pressure stuff and 5k/6k mixups in pressure, but I'm not sure what I should do off of confirms, and what I should be doing as general combo routes. 

Everything I have found out there is for AC, so can you guys offer any basic beginner +R Eddie combos if they differ? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: If the combos listed in the AC guide still work without issue, then let me know and I'll start working on those instead.

Tsukahara the ac comprehensive guide will give you a really good foundation for using eddie in +r. Just ignore Puddle unblockables since puddle no longer hits low and it also wont teach you anything about weiss summon.

When trying to find tech with Weiss summon i came across this video on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY8Rf_3xyDI

I can't seem to figure out how he is only hitting with the first hit of SG without frc. I am hoping someone could explain how he is doing this

Tsukahara the ac comprehensive guide will give you a really good foundation for using eddie in +r. Just ignore Puddle unblockables since puddle no longer hits low and it also wont teach you anything about weiss summon.

When trying to find tech with Weiss summon i came across this video on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY8Rf_3xyDI

I can't seem to figure out how he is only hitting with the first hit of SG without frc. I am hoping someone could explain how he is doing this

For me, after I get a dust launch in corner (usually something like *mixup connects* -> -K- run up 5P 5K 5S -P- 5D) my setup is pretty much the same:

you do j.HS j.D, -HS-, then the key part is jump cancelling the j.D for just a little bit before going into shadow gallery (8741236 S), and this is unfortunately very character specific. Some characters it's fairly easy to time (sol, O.sol, may + a few others), others you don't have to jump cancel at all (johnny + maybe a few others (anji?)), and others the setup is a bitch to get consistently.

TANGENT: just a note for consistency, I have found that sometimes trying to jump cancel after the j.D won't work if you were holding up forward between the j.HS -> j.D. Now take this with a grain of salt, but my theory is that when you do a dust launcher in Guilty Gear the game gives you infinite jump cancels until the dust hitstun runs out (e.g. when you hit them out of a dust launch really late and they recover normally rather than long dust hitstun, thats past the window). Now heres the thing, if you are holding 9 when you do the combo 5D j.HS j.D you aren't doing a regular chained j.HS xx j.D, the game is actually jump cancelling in between the two moves and there is a notable delay when compared to doing the combo and letting the stick go to neutral. This can mean that when it is time to jump cancel the j.D you might be outside of the cancel window due to this delay, and since j.D isn't jump cancellable outside of dust combos nothing comes out. So make sure you do 5D (9 to begin jump, but let stick go back to 5), j.HS, j.D etc

Again thats just my best explanation to a problem you might not even have so test it out yourself :p

To be honest, I just cut my loses on this and do the FRC every time regardless; you will miss your unblockable if you are off even slightly which is a huge deal, and to be fair its not often I find myself in this situation without 25% tension. Also, it looks damn sexy when you hit the FRC off this setup then go into flying --> swoop in with the unblockable without touching the ground inbetween. So it's a small tradeoff that saves the headache of learning and practicing all those setups. But if you are hardcore, go nuts!

I don't know the other setup in the video so I can't help with that one, but hopefully I've made a little sense.. Peace

Sign in to follow this