Sign in to follow this  
Shadowcuz

Eddie Q&A's

Yup, stuff like 2[P]-2[K] -P- 2 22P~H into puddle UB.

Btw, I apologize for my extended leave from this forum, but my computer blew up and I was waiting on replacement parts. :(

Yup, stuff like 2[P]-2[K] -P- 2 22P~H into puddle UB.

Btw, I apologize for my extended leave from this forum, but my computer blew up and I was waiting on replacement parts. :(

:vbang:

What's a good solo way to practice unblockable timing in training mode. Right now I just have the dummy set to no guard, do a standard knockdown with 2d, and hope the following "unblockable" sequence I do is the correct timing to unblockable. The problem is that the guard options are limited to first guard, all guard, or limited (random guard), so for most standard unblockable situations it's difficult to practice the timing with the guard options given. Basically, I'd want the dummy to not block the basic 2D knockdown, but try to guard the followup unblockable attempt on its wakeup. So what's the best way to train the timing for the unblockables in training mode? How did everyone else approach this?

Note that limited guard is not random guard (sadly, random guard was removed after #Reload). Limited guard makes the dummy take the first hit, but then block any subsequent hits for the next short while. So doing something like 5P-5S-2D will hit, but when you attack the dummy as it gets up, it will block. So you could try limited guard to practice UB timing. However the AC Training mode dummy can actually block unblockables in ways it's not supposed to.. so the other possible method is to use the Memory function. There are a couple of ways to do this: 1) Set the Memory to do nothing for 1-2 seconds, and make sure guard is set to off. Set the dummy state to Jump. Then simply playback the memory while comboing to 2D into summon. At this point, the memory should be finished, and the dummy will try to jump out of your UBs. Not the best way to time your unblockables, but a start. More precise: 2) Perform a basic knockdown combo (ie. 5P-5S-2D). Just as 2D hits, start recording Memory. When the dummy (you) get up from the ground, block as if you are expecting an unblockable, backdash, or FD jump away immediately. Now when you go to practice, perform the same string ending with 2D, except tap 2D + Playback at the same time to get the dummy to perform the evasive action as soon as it gets up. ...but really, you don't even need memory to get UB timings down. You should be able to just eyeball the hits to see if they are hitting at the same time, and adjust accordingly. At least, that's how I've always done it.

Teyah: Hey, those are some great (and creative) ideas to make sure the timing is correct. I also had no idea that limited guard was for the second hit; I assumed from the sound of it that it was random guard. Yeah, right now I'm just relying on visual cues to sort of assume that the unblockable is being timed correctly, but I'd rather know for certain that the timing is accurate and that I'm using the most out of my practice sessions. BTW, nice to see the Eddie guide finally up. I'm sure it'll speed up my learning curb; and I hope to see it completed in the near future. Maybe you might also include a brief section on unblockable timing for training mode practice with what you've replied with -- I'm sure there are others who'd like a more accurate way to practice.

I'm looking for some assistance with false gaps. My typical use of little eddie is a constatn block string, usually into a 5k, DF, or 6k mix-up, but it's starting to get really telegraphed with the people I play on a consistent basis. After watching some videos, I realize taht false gaps are a huge part of Eddie's gme. I'm wondering if I can get a explanation of how to make these false gaps effective. I'm really struggling wiith this concept for some reason.

Work on your 50/50's. Eddie has an 8-way mixup after Mawaru. 6K/5K is old and tired, so using the following will really open your opponents up a whole lot more. Mawaru, 6P (1 or 2 hits), close S (prime, if they got hit in the air by Mawaru, you get a great combo by releasing nobiru on hit-check), mawaru, jump straight up. 1) j.K into j.K (lowest possible height, fuzzy guard break) 2) j.K, land 5K 3) j.K, land, 6K 4) j.K, land into running Damned Fang 5) empty straight up jump, land 5K 6) empty straight up jump, land 6K 7) empty straight up jump, land Damned Fang 8) empty straight up jump, land Drunkard Shade (invincible to throws). 9) End your string with an unblockable attempt using drill special and Haneru/Tobu.*** In situations where you cannot get this mixup (they're too far for you to pull back in with Mawaru without it draining your guage beyond the point of implementation), you need to get creative. Hit/throw, and false gaps using Break the Law in mid-string are very important. At this point, creating a massive threat with Nobiru to keep your opponents honest is excellent, as you only need enough gauge to perform two Nobiru's (plus a little for Hold) in order to get the CH death combo. Given that, just stop attacking by creating illusions while you're in Break the Law. Break the Law is essentially the same as standing still and reacting to their next movement. Therefore, people see you go into the ground and they believe they can move, or attack the shadow safely to remove it from play. However, by releasing P as you rise (wize frum yo gwave) out of Break the Law, then buffering 22H right after, you can then combo with Nobiru into a running j.K, j.H, j.D (add Nobiru on contact), superjump followup. Ogawa is a master of false gaps. He understands that the fundamental part of defending against Eddie is to GTFO ASAP. Due to that, he mixes up his spacing and flow of attacks in order to convince you when it's safe to move. That's when he pulls the snare, and you lose half life. It's really more of getting a feel for Eddie's actual gameplan, as opposed to just doing mixups and oki shit. That's just the icing on the cake. *** FUCKING IMPORTANT DUDE!! SO CHEAP! :psyduck: :psyduck:

Ogawa is a master of false gaps. He understands that the fundamental part of defending against Eddie is to GTFO ASAP. Due to that, he mixes up his spacing and flow of attacks in order to convince you when it's safe to move. That's when he pulls the snare, and you lose half life.

Actually i'm pretty sure he has a dragonball z scouter that tells him the opponents next move.. I witnessed it in person.

Can anyone confirm if these combos are legit, i been trying to do this combo against a pre-recorded low blocking training dummy but haven't been successful comboing the 2nd unblockable into IAD ,HS,D.

I tried it on a no block dummy and successfully did it so i cant tell if its me or the combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5LC-iKIQrc

00:28 & 00:35

The timing to followup a 22H + -D- unblockable is very tight. On crouching opponents (those who block the drill, get hit by the -D- and BtL SG) it may not be a true unblockable. They get up faster relative to opponents that are hit in the air, since they don't have to fall through the air first. If it does work on them, it may require an FRC on the far drill for followup. But I'm not sure on this, as I haven't tested.

The timing to followup a 22H + -D- unblockable is very tight. On crouching opponents (those who block the drill, get hit by the -D- and BtL SG) it may not be a true unblockable. They get up faster relative to opponents that are hit in the air, since they don't have to fall through the air first. If it does work on them, it may require an FRC on the far drill for followup. But I'm not sure on this, as I haven't tested.

If timed correctly, it's a true unblockable. I've never seen a person block it. Practice mode is a little cooky about it b/c depending on the settings, they'll get hit by one hit and not the other, if they just don't block it outright. All the unblockables in that vid are true.

Cool. But what I said was, vs crouching opponents: not one of those combos in the vid was against a crouching opponent. In that combo, crouching opponents would get up faster relative to standing opponents, so it may not work on them. Again, this is just a hunch based on my mind's theoretical training mode. Not able to test this at the moment. Could very well work after all, anyway.

Cool. But what I said was, vs crouching opponents: not one of those combos in the vid was against a crouching opponent. In that combo, crouching opponents would get up faster relative to standing opponents, so it may not work on them.

Again, this is just a hunch based on my mind's theoretical training mode. Not able to test this at the moment. Could very well work after all, anyway.

All characters have a "standing" hitbox, similar to a fuzzy guard situation, upon standing for 1-frame. Planting a disc with Millia, then doing instant j.K is a great way to see that in action if you want to test it. Another way is doing Eddie's Shadow Hold unblockable, but doing say, j.H, exceptionally high up (near their head) extra meaty. They appear to be crouching for 1 frame, as your attack seemingly hits air above them for a fraction of a second.

That being said, I can verify that while doing these on a crouching character makes the timing SLIGHTLY tighter, it makes no difference if timed properly. There are some characters that will be much harder due to their wakeup speed (Venom).

Subsequently, if a character could crouch to avoid getting launched in such a situation, then Eddie's 22H FRC IAD j.X wouldn't work because they couldn't get launched by the drill, nor would his Shadow Hold + j.X work against crouchers, because they could theoretically block low and avoid the hold followup.

Sage: Also, US version's training mode breaks the laws of the game's physics when you set it to "guard all", because it will literally block everything, even the shit it can't possibly block like...unblockables. If you're getting a beat count of 2 involving a single-hit drill combined with an IAD attack or the shadow -D- attack, but the "beat" doesn't turn black, and they're still in launch state from the drill, then both attacks hit at the exact same time and it's a legit unblockable.

Yes, I know about the first frame vulnerability - but it was my understanding that some characters rise up too fast for the drill to hit perfectly meaty, so they're able to crouch guard the drill hit. I've noticed this against Slayer in the past, though it could just be that I'm not timing my drill immediately. Edit: Just tested (#R, should be the same though) and it seems this isn't the case, getting off a meaty drill is pretty hard to screw up even with summon. I am probably recalling situations where the drill whiffs in front, while -D- hits and combos to -K-.

As far as air combos go for Eddie alone: - Dust combo (non-knockdown version) is 5D, [j.D-D] j.K-(P-K)-S-H-D - If you're close enough, anything to 2H (usually 5S-2H) into FB Drill, then rsj.K-S-H-D - Usual antiair stuff of 6P j.K-H-D or 2H CH, 22H, IAD j.H-D (+ sj.K-H-D in corner) - j.D (air CH), land, j.H-D, land, sj.K-H-D (RC, airdash j.D) Though Eddie doesn't really focus on air combos alone, you should really focus on getting the shadow out and then going for a hit/mixup with it.

"Certain ground and air moves can be cancelled into another jump. This trick is called Jump Cancelling. In each characters move section, a list of every move with their Jump Cancel options is shown. Jump Cancels can be used to enhance combos and mix up offense / defense options. To perform a jump cancel, hold an upwards direction as a Jump Cancelable move is connecting. After the move connects, your character will cancel into a jump. Generally Jump Cancels still follow the same double / triple jump and air dash rules. "

Since it sounds like you're new denvermaxxx2, you should really have a read through of at least the Guilty Gear 100 & 101 sections. Yeah it's a lot of text... but it's the best and fastest way to get caught up if you don't understand what is being talked about most of the time.

The main index page is here: http://dustloop.com/ggac/index.html

Yes, I am very new to this game. Ive played ggxx2 for a while but never knew there was sooooo much techinal stuff to this game when I tried to read all these how to do stuff on here I couldnt understand all of the terms let alone how to do them. Would it make more sense if I had a copy of accent core? because all i have is isuka and xx2 and everybody here says they are pretty old and lame.:gonk:

Yeah it would really help for you to have Accent Core. Though most of the info in the 100 & 101 sections applies to all GGXX games.

If you're really having trouble finding a copy, you can always try Ebay. Looks like there are a few on there for sale atm, for in-store prices:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Accent+Core&category0=

Oh and for jump-cancelling, only Eddie's 5P, 5K, 5Sc, 6P, 2D, and j.K can be JCed.

I got just one question: Is it possble to be any good with Eddie on a PS2 pad? Cuz I met a new GG player and they wanna learn Eddie and I was about to give them this site for reference but all I've been hearing is because of negative edge, if you don't have a stick you're gonna suck as an Eddie player....

how do you link little eddie's -K- action to get both hits to combo together? is it something thats spacial or do you have to perform it and immediately hit after...i guess im just having a hard time hitconfirming it. anyone have any input?-

Edge - Learning Eddie on pad just takes more effort at the beginning, as you have to plan out how to work your common button holds + releases + FRCs all together. A stick makes the process a lot easier, but it's not a requirement. But yeah, it is very possible to play a good Eddie on pad. For proof, look up Kumiho around these parts, he's a perfect example of this.

baku - Eddie's -K- will combo only on crouching characters (if you set your training mode dummy to crouching state, you can see that it does combo there). On standing characters there is a small gap between hits that you must fill with a quick normal (ie. 2P or 5P) in order to continue.

The two most basic followup combos are listed here, if you were wondering. Anyway, good question and I have added these notes to the move description in the guide.

the new shadow galleries loop, in the mid screen version. are there any useful setups, and what situations can one expect to land it?

Sign in to follow this