Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LunaKage

The Michigan Thread X-2: 11 lolis for Christmas.

Knowledge =/= matchup experience.

Match up experience is relative to the player. If the player don't know how to play Valkenhayn and the other player doesn't know how to fight against him, then that's even ground.

However anyone can lack match up experience for any character.

But if you have the knowledge, or a general idea on what to do, then that can be helpful to the match up.

This also applies to any character.

Match up experience is relative to the player. If the player don't know how to play Valkenhayn and the other player doesn't know how to fight against him, then that's even ground.

However anyone can lack match up experience for any character.

But if you have the knowledge, or a general idea on what to do, then that can be helpful to the match up.

This also applies to any character.

No one would enter a tourney with a character that they don't know how to play as. This would give any Valk player a significant advantage, since they would have experience and the opponent would most likely not have any Valk experience.

Match up experience is character specific.

However general footnotes are not and can be noted without experience, for instance, I don't need to know the Tager vs Ragna match up to know to avoid ID.

So as far as Valkenhayn goes:

Look out for 6c

Look out for j.c

Look out for 2c

He can't block in wolf mode

He has 4 primers

Again, it's not like the knowledge isn't available there are plenty of resources to take as many notes as you can, if I were to travel out and play Arakune in a tourney, they should ban Arakune because they lack the match up experience?

The fact of the matter is Valk is arguably the strongest character in the game by a good amount. That combined with the fact that he practically just came out on the 360 is why so many people in this thread already wanted to ban him.

Besides, there are far more factors that go into a specific match than just knowledge of the matchup.

I don't even know what 2C and 6C look like.

Point toasty is making that I can go online and never face a valk, you played us all before so you know what to do match up wise.

We don't.

basic footnotes mean nothing if we don't even know what the moves to look out for look like.

SKYE! SKYE! VALK IS TEARING US APART!

I don't even know what 2C and 6C look like.

2c is the crouching crescent kick.

6c is the sideways kick that you can't do anything about after blocking it.

See, this is the "ask around" part, go to match up threads, go to the Valk boards and see if someone will fight you.

How will you ever get match up experience if you ban him in the most viable learning method you could.

So just ban him until.......what? You get lucky and fight enough people in CS' terrible netplay?

If you were serious about learning the match up, you have all the resources you need to come to know all you need to know long before Saturday.

See, this is the "ask around" part, go to match up threads, go to the Valk boards and see if someone will fight you.

How will you ever get match up experience if you ban him in the most viable learning method you could.

So just ban him until.......what? You get lucky and fight enough people in CS' terrible netplay?

If you were serious about learning the match up, you have all the resources you need to come to know all you need to know long before Saturday.

There's this thing, where a bunch of people stuff themselves in the small room of a certain individual member of this local scene, and in said setting, individuals show tendencies to want to play video games that often require the use of a larger controlling device. Often these games can go on for hours before one or more individuals vacate the location which was previously mentioned.

Oh yeah, casuals.

As viable as offline is, this a matter for tourneys, which cost money to get into. I personally had a lot of fun fighting your Valk at casuals, it was good practice, but I think why people want him banned is because this match up

A. Is most likely not in their favor (and it is agreed he is the strongest character in the game, coming in better than Bang, who is agreed to be better than Litchi)

B. Looks like a loss for them that just costs money.

I have an idea. Why don't we just have a shit load of casuals with Valk before MM? And overtime, as we gain experience, we see FOR OURSELVES, and not by advice for fighting him or videos or whatever, if it would be fair to allow him to be used. We can also make the decision at that time.

Casuals isn't the best resource for learning match ups unless specifically organized like that.

Tournaments is where people go all out and do their best, casuals is a place to chill and sandbag and troll.

The rule of thumb in any FG is the char shouldn't be banned until it's been proven beyond any doubt that the char is broken. Valk has yet to be seen in high-level competetive play (i.e. placing in a major tournament) and he isn't ST Akuma or Archetype Earth levels of broken, therefor banning him now when no one really knows the matchup would be pretty silly.

tl;dr: innocent until proven guilty, don't ban him fags.

edit* also, what is the community at large doing? if they're allowing him then you're just shooting yourself in the foot by banning him. Traveling to a major and having to fight a char in a competetive environment for the very first time there results in losing for free then making bitchy posts over the internet :>

and as a final point: http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/8/86/Goontoolmoon.jpg

new players should be banned from tournaments until someone sees them at casuals, they might be too good compared to everyone else. You never know

-Watching Valk vids-

This nigga is retarded as fuck man its like he is doing 5k off random shit lol.

new players should be banned from tournaments until someone sees them at casuals, they might be too good compared to everyone else. You never know

In this scenario, it'd be smarter to be "safe than sorry" than to just hope for the best.

Casuals aren't the best resource for learning match ups unless specifically organized like that.

Tournaments are where people go all out and do their best, casuals is a place to chill and sandbag and troll.

(Fixed.)

From my experience, the purpose of casuals differs from person to person. If casuals were only for dicking around, I doubt anyone would get any real practice in besides tournaments.

So who is actually gonna own the game im curious of course you have to have a ps3 unless you got a jp x-box and shardz we have to get casuals in like everyday im quitting sf4 for this game and pretty much everything else including life itself until mvc3

The rule of thumb in any FG is the char shouldn't be banned until it's been proven beyond any doubt that the char is broken. Valk has yet to be seen in high-level competetive play (i.e. placing in a major tournament) and he isn't ST Akuma or Archetype Earth levels of broken, therefor banning him now when no one really knows the matchup would be pretty silly.

tl;dr: innocent until proven guilty, don't ban him fags.

edit* also, what is the community at large doing? if they're allowing him then you're just shooting yourself in the foot by banning him. Traveling to a major and having to fight a char in a competetive environment for the very first time there results in losing for free then making bitchy posts over the internet :>

and as a final point: http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/8/86/Goontoolmoon.jpg

Yo, you don't even play this game.

But on a serious note, what the community is doing is what brought this up. In some areas he was banned, and in other areas he was allowed. I say we should take a vote on what people want (I will remain neutral because it doesn't really bother me if he's there or not, despite previous statements).

So who is actually gonna own the game im curious of course you have to have a ps3 unless you got a jp x-box and shardz we have to get casuals in like everyday im quitting sf4 for this game and pretty much everything else including life itself until mvc3

As far as I know, the people who are importing AH3, or have shown interest in it (who I will put in red, no PS3) are:

Shadow, ShardZ, Proto, BO, Jay, myself, Leo? Luna, Axis? Skye?

I'm probably forgetting some people, but I just listed off those who I either recently talked to about it or have made it clear that they are hype.

EDIT- ? for those who I don't remember/were on the fence/were waiting for US release/etc.