Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kyle

[CS2] Carl Clover Tactical Discussion/Questions/Help

Wow, I came into this thread hoping to get hyped for CS2 Carl after not reading about him for a month.

Hope gone, despair levels maximum.

Will probably also be maining plat, but since Noel's actually decent for once, I might switch to her. Hrm...

All this doom and gloom is really hilarious when the latest tier listing being argued on the Japanese BBS thinks Carl is S-tier now. :kitty:

Reading the whole thread on the BBS it seems like everyone is going with their own tier list and there's no clear consensus out from it. So i think these lists can't really be taken seriously as for now.

From what I read, I have the feeling that the reason why some people are placing Carl high is because they don't really understand how to play against him and/or because quite a lot of Carl players are actually raping pretty hard if you look only at PSR rankings.

I still don't believe Carl is low though... Even if he obviously can't be called a strong character by now due to sucky damage and neesan dying fast, he has some solid stuff to rely on and good growth potential.

Like I keep saying whether he will be top tier is up for debate but I am absolutely positive he won't be bottom.

Thanks TGS. Even if the BBS is speculative we needed some more positivity in this forum. I felt so alone. :sweatdrop:

Not that it counts for much, but I've been with you from the beginning Zoogs! :keke:

Good to know. :keke:

Right now I wanna see more vids.

We know we're not CS Rachel now (though it really looked like we would be on paper). I'm also sure that Carl will still end up being a solid character. The problem now is that we're a puppeteer who is better off without his puppet.

After watching Dio and Eesuke, I'm much more comfortable with what Carl's become. Sure, CS1 Carl was perfect, but CS2 Carl doesn't look nearly as un-fun as I was afraid.

To be fair, I've already seen Satoshi, Kaqn, and a few others use multiple characters. Only seen Kyaku once. He could easily be using Carl, but isn't comfortable enough to enter tournaments with him. At least that's what I'm telling myself so I can sleep at night.

Carl without Kyaku... isnt Carl U_U

Chillax. Hopefully we still have the A-cho Carl's. They always put up a good show.

Chillax. Hopefully we still have the A-cho Carl's. They always put up a good show.

Mmm.. yeah.. but still.

Carl without Kyaku and Ranrero isnt Carl... serisuly. They are my people to follow XD.

Top tier or bottom, CS2 Carl doesn't look all that fun to me. His options will always be limited by Nirvana's weak constitution.

Also an S tier Carl doesn't make any sense to me considering his Mu matchup is still awful, and I can't imagine he's all that great vs rushdown characters due to how weak his defense is, or characters that can just run away the whole match... I mean sure, once you let Carl take over a match he's pretty strong, but that goes for just about any character.

I don't see how he still won't be fun. He still has WAY more options than the herp derp most all of the other cast has. Not to mention, I seriously doubt we know all of what Carl has available in CS2 yet. Yes, he doesn't have as many options as before mainly due to Nirvana's health, but most are still there. In jump loop you still have options for unblockables or resets, you just have to be smarter about meter management. Low on Nirvana meter and have the opponent in jump loop?

5B, 5C, 6]D[, JC, 5B, 2B, 5C, 8]D[...jump cancel, kara glide, 2A, 5B, 2B, 5B, 5C, cantata, 8]D[, JC, 3]D[

Assuming we got the new gattling from 2B to 5B and they don't get pushed too far out for Cantata. Something like this would give Nirvana's gauge a nice boost considering how fast it goes up while she's still alive. Not to mention the fact that they are still in sandwich and you ready to go for more pressure. Now of course I have now idea if this will work as I haven't played, but I think using similar resets will give Nirvana enough time to heal up and continue pressure.

Also, I am so looking forward to stuff like...

5B, 5C, 6]D[, JC, 5B, 6B, IAD, J.2C, Alle~can, 5B, 6B, Cantible, Air combo(not sure on the new notation), JC, Volante smack

How is that not fun? Yes, I'm super hyped about the Volante smack, idk why, I just think it looks awesome. I just hope MvC3 isn't taking all my time when CS2 finally drops. Shit is so not fair that we have to wait. :(

Hmm, now that I think about it, isn't most of the cast only able to get their real damage in at the corner? So doesn't that give us the advantage of being able to do our shit anywhere? Maybe that's why they nerfed nee-san, as there's no real way for Carl to be like that. In any case, a viable strategy would be to try to keep the fight in the center of the stage. Being Carl, we could just try to wait in the center behind nee-san for some matchups. Of course, the strategy isn't foolproof, but just something to keep in mind. :)

Or maybe I'm just late to the party and everyone knew that already. :(

WTF!!!!!!!!!! -_- u guys are actin like sum babies... I do believe yall kno about wall bounce Brio that stuns till they touch the ground like 8D...

Corner combo W-O-C-N 5b>5C>Cantabile>5C>2D>J.2C>J.B>dj.C>Brio>5C>J.b>J.2c>Allegreto>8D(2hit)>Fermata is like 4.5-5k

J.b gattlings into J.2c so it will work for air combos, This aint CT carl where all ur air combos involved J.b & J.a. You all must be failing to realise carl is like bang, Litchi, & Ragna combine. Bangs godly Oki mid screen, litch Dmg in the corner, & after even ur strongest Combos u still get godly oki like Ragna.

If anybody noticed only Tager, Noel, & Jin can do dmg out of the corner... Arks turned the entire cast into corner combo'ers only. More like the characters max Dmg can only be done in a corner

I under stand that but in that single 4-5K combo u did 3 Ada attacks, because of the new Jb>J.2c the need for her dies. CS1 about every 2-3 Carl attacks u need 1 Ada attack

CS1[ 5b>5c>6D>5C>3c>j.2c>J.c>2D>5c>J.C>4D>5C>J.b>J.2c>Allegreto>8D>5c>Volante>J.2C-allecan>2c>8D>2c>Fermata. 5.5K for 6 Ada attacks 60-65 meter gain minus 50 for DD.

CS2 corner 5b>5c> Cantabile>5C>2D>J.2C>J.B>dj.b>J.2c>J.C>Brio(Wall bounce)>5c>JB>dj.b>J.2c>Allegreto>8D>J.2c>J.c KD,,,,,,5K 60-65 meter gain into a rest for 3 Ada attacks.

Not only that but u dont have to hold the D button for anything in CS2 but resets & that by itself conserves allot of Adas meter

I dont understand how carl would be considered Top tier.... Not S-tier just Top Xp yall need to suck some stuff up

Personally I never found going for the high damage combos to be the best venture for carl. I always found resets to be more key to his game than damage. But with nirvana's meter cut in half resets won't come about that often. I'm sure he will still do fine with all these weird changes (j.C is the most interesting one imo, could open some Air>ground stuff), but he is going to have a lot more risk since he can't rely on nee-san nearly as often. I would've taken Nirvana meter > damage anyday because of our low health AND less than amazing defense.

Personally I never found going for the high damage combos to be the best venture for carl. I always found resets to be more key to his game than damage.

I would agree with this if CS1 Carl's damage output wasn't so darn high. A good combination of mixups and high damage juggle combos in CS1, I believe made the best Carl possible in CS1. But this is a CS2 thread so I'mma shutup.

EDIT: Holycow!!!. Nirvana's 4D has to be barriered in order to block it in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LSyddF3nT8#t=9m28s