Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flytai45

Instant Blocking

i'm going to tell you one of the worst kept secrets about blazblue; instant blocking is really easy.

i'm not exaggerating in the least either. especially if you have good execution and/or reaction, you should be able to ib a lot of stuff. the input window for ib is absolutely huge, and the frame advantage is ridiculous (+5 on the ground and +10 in the air, though this is all changed in CS2). keep in mind this is in a game where most moves put you at disadvantage on block to begin with.

as for doing it "effectively", it's really a matter of just learning how to do it. start recording blockstrings in training mode (like ragna blahblah 5C or jin blahblah 6B) and start practicing ib'ing the moves that put them at disadvantage on block (even if they can gatling after them like ranga's 5C, it's still important to have the frame advantage whenever possible) and then start seeing what you can do with that frame advantage (jump, hakumen counter, dp, whatever).

one last thing to note is that the game will actually ib for you a few frames after you input one ib. to see what i'm talking about, have lambda do 5CCCCC6C and only input one ib at the beginning of both moves, then see how many hits the game ib's for you.

i'm going to tell you one of the worst kept secrets about blazblue; instant blocking is really easy.

i'm not exaggerating in the least either. especially if you have good execution and/or reaction, you should be able to ib a lot of stuff. the input window for ib is absolutely huge, and the frame advantage is ridiculous (+5 on the ground and +10 in the air, though this is all changed in CS2). keep in mind this is in a game where most moves put you at disadvantage on block to begin with.

as for doing it "effectively", it's really a matter of just learning how to do it. start recording blockstrings in training mode (like ragna blahblah 5C or jin blahblah 6B) and start practicing ib'ing the moves that put them at disadvantage on block (even if they can gatling after them like ranga's 5C, it's still important to have the frame advantage whenever possible) and then start seeing what you can do with that frame advantage (jump, hakumen counter, dp, whatever).

one last thing to note is that the game will actually ib for you a few frames after you input one ib. to see what i'm talking about, have lambda do 5CCCCC6C and only input one ib at the beginning of both moves, then see how many hits the game ib's for you.

k man thx ima try all this out right now

i heard instant block is even easier in guilty gear :)

i'll tell you the second worst kept secret about bb; it's a dead game.

i'll tell you the second worst kept secret about bb; it's a dead game.

It's currently a dead game because after seeing JPN players playing CS2 everyone lost their appetite for CS1. It looks that great.

Wait, it isn't even a dead game. People still play CS1, but not that much.

hey i was just wondering if you guys had any tips on learning how to instant block efectively?

If you got a community around you to play. Go to casuals and try to block each individual attack for your opponents block strings. In other words, instead of holding down/back the whole time during their block strings. Learn to tap it for every attack that is coming at you, sure you'll get hit a lot at the beginning and you'll lose matches you shouldn't, but over time you'll pick it up well. Over time you'll be able to instant block a lot of stuff. That's what I did, worked out fine for me.

But what qwerty said too works. You could also use lambda's sword portal super and ib all the swords that are fired at you.

Actually you live in N.Y, and there is a fighting gamer community there. So you have the environment to learn advanced "reel lyfe taktikz".

To really get a feel for IBing try practicing it on other games like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, or using K groove on Capcom vs SNK 2,Just Defense is exactly like IBing cept you don't get health back. That's how I got used to it in both BB and GG.

If you got a community around you to play. Go to casuals and try to block each individual attack for your opponents block strings. In other words, instead of holding down/back the whole time during their block strings. Learn to tap it for every attack that is coming at you, sure you'll get hit a lot at the beginning and you'll lose matches you shouldn't, but over time you'll pick it up well. Over time you'll be able to instant block a lot of stuff. That's what I did, worked out fine for me.

But what qwerty said too works. You could also use lambda's sword portal super and ib all the swords that are fired at you.

Actually you live in N.Y, and there is a fighting gamer community there. So you have the environment to learn advanced "reel lyfe taktikz".

where is this community at...anywhere other than CTF? cuz CTF is very far from where i live and going there constantly can become costly.

edit: for those that don't know CTF=China Town Fair

IMO there are different reasons for IB, depending on what the situation is and what you want to do. To be honest, I'd say LEARN TO BLOCK FIRST before you even delve into Instant Block. Overheads, Mixup, Crossups, all of that are something you have to learn to block bar none. Only IB for these reasons:

IBing for Advantage: This one's obvious, you IB for the frame advantage if you're aiming for hitting them with a counter/fatal counter (Ragna has the best FC after IB, I think), backing out of a situation (Arakune definitely needs this, especially versus Tsubaki/Valkenhayn pressure). Best to IB when you SEE SOMETHING coming and can react to it or have a move prepared that is suitable AFTER you've IB'd (slow startup moves don't exactly work in between guardstrings after IBs).

IBing for Meter: This one is actually aimed towards Haku-men players, but it can apply to others too. You get a little heat each time you IB, so every little bit helps. It's primarily for characters who can afford to block and have lots of HP.

IBing for Openings: This one is kinda hard to pull off, but for example's sake, say you're dealing with someone who spams Inferno Divider, normally this move is air unblockable, but if you IB it, not only don't you lose HP, but it CAN be blocked without Barrier. This is a gamble and quite risky, as some moves actually can't be IBed no matter what (Ragna's 6A) and have to be Barriered in the air. And then there are moves that are completely unblockable (Haku's Yukikaze, Jin's Charged Hirensou, Tsubaki's Charged 22+D, Hazama's 623D) so having caution and knowing when to jump instead of sit and block all day is important too.

Remember though, IBing won't save you from Guard Break, as no amount of IBing will help against people destroying your Guard Primers, only Barrier can help with that and only on the last Primer and even then you're risking double damage if you run out of Barrier.

IMO there are different reasons for IB, depending on what the situation is and what you want to do. To be honest, I'd say LEARN TO BLOCK FIRST before you even delve into Instant Block. Overheads, Mixup, Crossups, all of that are something you have to learn to block bar none. Only IB for these reasons:

IBing for Advantage: This one's obvious, you IB for the frame advantage if you're aiming for hitting them with a counter/fatal counter (Ragna has the best FC after IB, I think), backing out of a situation (Arakune definitely needs this, especially versus Tsubaki/Valkenhayn pressure). Best to IB when you SEE SOMETHING coming and can react to it or have a move prepared that is suitable AFTER you've IB'd (slow startup moves don't exactly work in between guardstrings after IBs).

(slow startup moves don't exactly work in between guardstrings after IBs) this is why you can't FC people in the middle of their string

IBing for Meter: This one is actually aimed towards Haku-men players, but it can apply to others too. You get a little heat each time you IB, so every little bit helps. It's primarily for characters who can afford to block and have lots of HP.

EVERYBODY CAN ALWAYS AFFORD TO BLOCK AND SHOULD, meter gain is good too.

IBing for Openings: This one is kinda hard to pull off, but for example's sake, say you're dealing with someone who spams Inferno Divider, normally this move is air unblockable, but if you IB it, not only don't you lose HP, but it CAN be blocked without Barrier. This is a gamble and quite risky, as some moves actually can't be IBed no matter what (Ragna's 6A) and have to be Barriered in the air. And then there are moves that are completely unblockable (Haku's Yukikaze, Jin's Charged Hirensou, Tsubaki's Charged 22+D, Hazama's 623D) so having caution and knowing when to jump instead of sit and block all day is important too.

YOU CANT BLOCK airunblockable attacks without Barrier in CS, some of the attacks you listed are wrong.

Remember though, IBing won't save you from Guard Break, as no amount of IBing will help against people destroying your Guard Primers, only Barrier can help with that and only on the last Primer and even then you're risking double damage if you run out of Barrier.

:(

I don't understand. What the hell am I reading? IB inferno divider in the air? What? I thought all those Blade stories were fairy tales.

what is the frame advantage difference between cs1 and cs2

I believe it's 5/10 for ground and air IB in CS1, and 3/6 in CS2. Could be wrong.