Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

[AC] Johnny vs Sol

SOL MATCHUP INFORMATION

Poking Game

More to come!...? You can help!

Strategy

Specific Punishes

Setups/baits

Knowledge

Old info! On a normal ground hit, Sol's VV followup doesn't connect- if he goes for it and you neutral tech, you get to land and get a full punish on a CROUCHING Sol. Old, AC-specific info! There's a pause before the last hit of Grand Viper, and you can throw/hit Sol there (super is your best bet) - or you can backdash it and punish him harder.

Just to add the best options (imo) after Grand Viper blocked. If u have mflvl2 then for biggest dmg 6HS,mfS,jK,jS,djS,KJ FRC,jS,djS,jHS,jD,ensega(255dmg). If u cant time 6HS to Grand Viper then just HS with same combo (HS,mfS,jK,jS,djS,KJ FRC,jS,djS,jHS,jD,ensega-243 dmg). Without mflvl2 then for dmg 6K MC,jK,jS,djS,KJ FRC,jS,djS,jHS,jD,ensega(172dmg) or K,HS,MS Jackhound, throw, coin/combo As crimson dissaster said u can interrupt at GV last hit with super and throw. U can also interrupt with 2P silly choice :P and 2HS which will be counter leading to D (2HS, D) or 2H RC combo leading to about 270+ max dmg. High risk high reward Personally i have prob with sol's 236[K] (not BR) though my friend uses it all of the time ;s

BB? just 6p it on reaction and go into j.k, j.s, dj.k, j.s, KJ FRC, j.k, j.s, j.d, Ensenga for around 100 points of easy damage. Since my friend uses Sol all the time I had time to test this around alot and it works pretty well.

Well i trained some on that move. If i see it i can easily to jP to air combos. 6P seems to always clash with it. My friend does for example p,k,s,hs, BB (if thats the shortcut :P). In that occassion im only able to air throw to counter it. I has strange properties. Like when it misses (which u cant ever predict) he can free throw you.

I would rather use 6P. Even if it tends to clash more, I think it's safer then 6K. 6K only has 7 frames of upper.inv and is located somewhere in the middle of the start, it doesn't cover you up to the active frames. But 6P has upper.inv starting on the first frame and it transitions to aboveKnee.inv, all the way and well into its active frames. plus, counterhit 6K isn't really all that good

Assuming the Sol cancels the BB off a level 5 move, you don't have enough frames to dash under and counter hit him out of BB.

Just came from a tourney yesterday. Siderwinder loop ruined me out of contention. I can't deal with that GF FRC -> BB -> mixup bullshit. 6P barely (read: never) beats BB; 9 times out of ten I clash, lose and I get with some jump installed move that I don't know...

Backdash the GF coin the BB, or backdash the GF HMF the BB, tends to work against the sols i fought, unless your in a corner, in that situation FD and grab when he lands.

lol, what the Hell? COIN bandit bringer? Such a thought has never crossed my mind. Sounds risky. I like risky. Tell me more. Is it like countering Slayer's j.HS with a coin? I play against a really good Sol player and when he actually does use bandit bringer I just block/instant block. I'm usually unable to hit him right after also because he'll 1 frame jump as a safety precaution right after. With this match, I think you just need to rely a lot more on your defense than your offense. Try not to get too comfortable dashing in this match because Sol is just gonna VORUCANIKKU VIPAH you out of your dash. Best thing about Johnny, though? Jump cancel dash into FD! Psychic block. With some solid defense, you'll find this match to be a little more comfortable.

BB can only be coined on early frames, other case BB goes above the coin except of course from the impact frames.

correct, before Sols right arm cocks back (at the climax of his BB jump) he can be coined, the frames can be reacted to. However, if you're too late to react in the beginning frames before that arm moves, you can 6P a few frames right after when he cocks back (red lightning thats suppossed to be fire sits at his right arm until the contact point) 6Ping too early will allow a 6P whiff, which is why you should wait until you see him move what looks like two frames with the red lightning on his forearm, 6Ping the first frame will cause your 6p to miss completely and take a BB CH to the face. 6Ping the second frame a split second too early means that if he FRCs the BB then you're left open for a hit. 6P right before contact, and its a nice launch. If you're worried about the clash, hit 6P twice, if it doesnt clash, you still have plenty of free time to jump and do any combo. If it DOES clash, sols still in the air, and you have another 6P in his face, at this point (from my understanding) he has nothing he can react with as the distance/range a VV will go through johnnys 6P upper body immunity, this is assuming that the sol you're playing is incredibly fast and input a VV command during the 6P/BB clash. He cant stuff the clash/second 6P with anything, he can FD if he's fast enough, thats absolutely it.

If you're in a corner and he chains a string of attacks and ends it with BB, you can jump during the coinable frames and grab him before BB hits you, which opens the door for a wall bounce / coin or a wall bounce 5k/MMF2

If you're out of coins, and have the reaction to coin him during the starting frames of BB, you can HMF1 him. HMF1 when his arm is already cocked back at the top of his jump will most likely lead to a counter hit for both players. HMF2 is much more forgiving on this timing, and unless you're pretty much already hit, you can HMF2 him out of the top of the jump, this also pushes away the FRC problem, however it can be FRC/FD if the sol is fast enough. A sol BBing a johnny with HMF3 deserves it completely.

As well with the reaction to startup frames, if you can react in time to coin and you can TK Ensegna, it works as well, but only up until the FRC point in BB, if you start the TK after the FRC point, then chances are you're going to be hit.

If the BB is predicted, (i mean, really really predicted) you can jump IMMEDIATELY after he starts the BB jump, and killer joker frc -> j.S -> dj.S -> dj.HS -> dj.D -> dj.Ensegna for 179.

Johnny has many options during a BB, it really isnt as threatening as it looks after you play people that spam it.

Sorry for not thoroughly explaining, i was on my laptop at the time.

edit: Jo if he's 1 frame jumping and your IBing it, dont you have the time to jump after him and counter his jump with a grab? near a corner that effectively gives you a wall bounce for a 5K/coin or a 5K->MMF2 ensaku/mist loop.

Hah, you would think so but not really. The Sol I play really doesn't use BB unless it's a last ditch effort to close the distance between us and land a hit. After 1 framing, he'll come down with j.P, j.HS > mixup into whatever. Pretty much keeps me on the defensive. I also don't rely too much on my air throws. I tend to whiff them a lot. :( I think I can probably 6P him on the way down but his j.HS will probably just clash and that's... annoying. Sol match up is fun!

aww, well johnnys air throw bounce was too sexy for me to not pickup the jump timing to grab it :p The sol V johnny fight is pretty fun overall, but if someones spamming BB having a counter to it most likely makes them stop attempting it after they catch 2-3 coins or a few 6ps from it.

Great info guys. Now how about getting out of his tick throw mixup in the corner into Sidewinder loop? It's so demoralizing when I fall for it, and get looped. When it happened to me at the tourney I'd used my burst already...and the rest was history :vbang:

If it's a good tick, you Jump, backdash (or forwarddash), OD, or throw. The best counter is prevention. Don't let him get into WildThrow range.

If it's a good tick, you Jump, backdash (or forwarddash), OD, or throw. The best counter is prevention. Don't let him get into WildThrow range.

I find when a SOL player is trying to penetrate into WildThrow range, I get comfortable noticing it when they close Sol's striking distance. So I just throw them before I get wild thrown.

BB? I've used 6P to beat or clash with BB several times. The clash is something I expect so I try to go for something else immediately after that. If I'm confident my opponent doesn't expect the clash, I do another 6P xD

I think it's about even, just for slightly different reasons than it was in AC.

You definitely have to respect Sol more now, but he has to respect you a bit more, too. He has better average damage output now, but you have better pressure. I guess you could say both characters have negated their weaknesses as they pertained to this matchup.