Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teyah

Millia Mixup Blocker [Flash App]

Backstory:

I was browsing through SRK one day while reading messages from several people who claimed that it was possible to react to choice reaction situations in (what I thought to be) superhuman reaction times. I heard that anywhere from 15 to 7 frames were possible to be reaction blocked consistently from various people, so I thought to myself - hey, why not create a very basic choice reaction time test program to see how well the average person can actually react? And what better character to use than Millia.

So I came up with this in 3 painful days of learning how to code using Actionscript.

http://www.teyah.net/milliablocker.html
Downloadable version (right click, Save As)

Stuff you should know:

- Press any key to get it going, press again when you see the 6K come out.
- Pressing any key when Millia is NOT doing a 6K (eg. crouching, standing, doing 2K, 2S) will result in a Fault
- 6K hits on frame 20. It's Millia's slowest overhead outside of 5D which nobody ever uses... ever.
- TK Bad Moon hits on frame 16. It's Millia's second fastest overhead.
- FRC j.K hits on frame 4. This will not be added in due to the large startup on Haircar that only leaves a 0-4F timed guess or a Fault as a possible outcome.
- Needs to be played at 60 fps or the results will be really inaccurate. If you see Millia's foot hitting your head and 20+ frames are not displayed, then you may not be able to run it at 60 fps.

Planned for future versions:

- Cleaner interface
- Support for holding downback -- though this wouldn't really speed up reaction time, since hitting a key is just as fast (or faster) than moving a metal mechanism or tapping d-pad
- More mixups! Haircar, 5D, maybe even crossups like Roll, Turbofall, and IAD.
- (FB) Disc overlay
- Removal of yomi blocking (anything under like 10F)
- Removal of averages / harsh penalties for faulting. You really shouldn't be faulting more than once every 4-5 full tests, if you're using this program for its intended purpose of choice reaction time measurement.

Give it a shot, post your results/comments/bugs here. As of 3 days ago I had zero experience in coding so please try to be reasonable in your suggestions. :)

Version history:
---------------
0.1: The basics: a 6K for overhead, 2K and 2S for lows. Random delay between attacks, and random changing of standing -> crouching stance and vice versa.

0.2: TK Bad Moon and 2D added. Wait time shortened, increased shortest possible delay (no more insta double overheads). Fixed crouch/stand animation change inbetween frames to match ingame.

0.21: Removed average if a Fault is registered on any test.

0.3: Added Iron Saviour (Haircar). Added win, or more likely, lose poses. Reduced wait time even further. Added instructions on main page on how to use stick/pad.

No worries buddy, I'll fix it for you (^^ )y

Great Work for 3 days worth of coding, next time I'll help you out more D:

averaging about 27 frames, but shitty keyboard + button press instead of joystick move... so i dunno

point is def proven though :D

whoever said they can reaction block 7 frames is lying out of their ass lol

If you don't hit anything after eating the overhead, the frame timer will keep going, giving you results like 2000 frames :lol:

also, averaging 22 frames, woopwoop. :toot:

19 frame average. But that was only one run. The other ones were like 21 and 20. But yeah, 7-10 frame reaction is bullshit. That's like under 100ms, and if Olympic Sprinters are called bullshit on for having less than 100ms start time, then fighting game players are obviously bullshit. Even if you can block it consistently in this test, during real game situation you have to think about a lot of things rather than just looking for the overhead. Here Millia is just doing random hits, in a match the other guy would be doing strings with the 3rd option of throwing.

Yeah. My average is around 21.

Then again, I've taken to just 1FJing when I'm not sure what millia's gonna do.

Nice app, Teyah.

thats why you're free in NorCal ;) ironic ain't it

This is pretty awesome.

After 20 tries:

21.2 with 45% success rate, no faults. Mind you, I am an old retired guy.

Then again, you can relax and focus at a particular piece of space like a laser beam for the overhead in this situation while ignoring everything else as noise. That doesn't work in an actual match.

Still, good exercise.

EDIT: I would also add that if you have any background in older fighting games, (as in CvS2 and older), then yes, it is very possible to block or react to 10-15 frame situations given a blatant enough tell or the right circumstances. For example, good players can sweep Guile out of c. forward with Ryu c. RH in HF or ST pretty much on reaction in right situations, and that's a 14 frame situation, although the options for Guile at that range are pretty limited, so the Ryu player knows that there aren't that many alternatives he needs to worry about.

OTOH, Millia's overhead can come out the blue from dozens of situations and is very ambiguous, so even though it's a 20 frame overhead, it's very hard to block on reaction as opposed to say, Robo Ky's standing dust, which is a much more blatant tell and much easier to block, but still 20 frames.

That being said, anything below 10 frames is dubious, regardless of circumstances. That would imply you can punish Guile's crouching short on reaction. Only Tomo could do that.

Very funny, its a nice Idea,

I really thin that would be better its necesary hold Down+Back and release only down. for the minigame.

People will get better reaction time I think, now your reaction time is the time that you push and release the button, are two reactions not only one.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

FYI this simulator also simulates the 1F input delay buffer of GG, so it remains accurate to ingame timing for the GG series. If you're looking for "actual" raw delay, subtract 1 from the result, though this isn't a useful number in the context of GG.

Very funny, its a nice Idea,

I really thin that would be better its necesary hold Down+Back and release only down. for the minigame.

People will get better reaction time I think, now your reaction time is the time that you push and release the button, are two reactions not only one.

Actually, it's only "push" the button, not "push and release". You can also bind the keys to your pad/stick using a program like Joy2Key quite easily (and you'd have to, since Flash has no joypad support). And there's no way that doing [1] -> [4] on a stick is faster than pressing a key, considering the amount of force required for each.

EDIT: I would also add that if you have any background in older fighting games, (as in CvS2 and older), then yes, it is very possible to block or react to 10-15 frame situations given a blatant enough tell or the right circumstances. For example, good players can sweep Guile out of c. forward with Ryu c. RH in HF or ST pretty much on reaction in right situations, and that's a 14 frame situation, although the options for Guile at that range are pretty limited, so the Ryu player knows that there aren't that many alternatives he needs to worry about.

OTOH, Millia's 6K overhead can come out the blue from dozens of situations and is very ambiguous, so even though it's a 20 frame overhead, it's very hard to block on reaction as opposed to say, Robo Ky's standing dust, which is a much more blatant tell and much easier to block, but still 20 frames.

Millia's overhead generally comes in a preset situation: after she lays disc, and is 20F, and is still rarely reaction blocked.

I've played since HF, and those types of situations you reference are twitch reaction situations -- not choice reaction. You're simply reacting to the other guy doing anything, not the move of choice you're looking for. He could do something like go from standing to crouching, or do a cr.lk instead then walk back and make you whiff. The window to punish something like whiffed shoto low forward is 11 or 10F depending on if your poke is 4F or 5F - that's not reaction punish, it's reaction guesswork (twitch reaction) on the attacking player's side.