Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Id_asz

FFA Airdasher Bi-weeklies Redux! GG-BB-SG Tournaments

We can always play the console version of GGX2AC in case it isn't up and running by West Toast....

Yeah, we might do this. I'm not 100% sure how serious the problem is. The game disc and its necessary chip are fine, it's the Naomi 2 board that is the problem.

We've got a ton of Naomi 2 boards, but only certain ones are compatible with certain games. GGAC is a rev. A, and most of the boards we have are rev. B. Usually all newer boards are backwards compatible, but it doesn't seem to be the case with these. I've even tried swapping the ROMs between boards to no effect. Ralph knows more about it than I do; he might be able to get it working.

This upcoming Sunday, January 8th, is our next tournament.

I will be bringing my PS3 and PS2 in the likely event that we don't have GGAC working yet. If anybody can bring a PS2 joystick for us to use, that would be fantastic. Also, I'll be bringing in my copy of BlazBlue CS Extend. I'm not planning on a tournament for it, but if we want to run one, that would be cool. If not, we can still run casuals.

Don't forget that West Toast XV is coming up soon! I hope to see you all there. After West Toast I really plan on pushing these regular airdasher tournaments back into full swing. I've seen a bunch of new faces lately, all excited about the airdasher scene.

One last thing: For tournaments in the future (not next week's and not West Toast), I was thinking of having a sort of fundraiser for new games. With the current price of games (SF4 2012 patch = $10,000 for two players, TTT2 = $18,000 plus operator pays, etc.) airdashers have become a low priority in the arcade, and the only way we're going to get new games is if we all pitch in as a scene to get it. So, I propose that when we run airdasher tournaments I take a dollar from each entry and put it into a pool. That pool money will go towards purchasing a new game.

Here's a list of upcoming new airdasher arcade games to think about:

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend

Arcana Heart 3

Under Night In-Birth

Persona 4 Fighter

Deamon Bride Additional Gain

Personally, I'd prefer if we got a game that is not out on console at all. We can all play BlazBlue now, but we won't get a shot at some of those other games for years. There's also the rumor of BlazBlue 3 in the works (November 2012?). If I had to vote, I'd vote for Under Night In-Birth.

Post a message here, or PM me and let me know what you guys think.

I have 2 PS2 sticks, but they're both ass. One is stiff as hell, the other has two faulty buttons. I can probably borrow Bobman's though, since it's in decent condition.

Hooray for playing Guilty Gear on pad. Time to brush up on my Slayer combos.

I haven't made it out to FFA yet, ever, but I should be able to make it this Sunday. Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and meeting some new people. Also it will be my first time playing Extend. I'm hype. What time should we show up?

As an avid SMT fan I would also vote for the Persona 4 cabinet even though I haven't played P4. Arcana Heart 3 would be cool but we can play that on console too.

I'd say prep for a BBCSX Tourney. Ask around and see who'd do want to enter.

I'll prrrooobbably show up, and i'll also bring 2 PS2 sticks with me (Mines and Shins).

I am going. If anyone needs a ride, I am offering them in exchange for gas money. My car currently seats seats me + 3 people, but I *may* be able to get a bigger car. I am also trying to see if I can arrange more cars for more rides. Message me if your interested. Let's start FFA up big again and make it so people won't say BB is dead.

There is going to be a BB tournament on Sunday right? I mean, we've got some people who are interested in a BB tournament on Sunday.

January 8th is the designated date for the tourney yes. Whether Blazblue is going to be one of the games to enter remains to be seen. Id has said he will be bringing his own copy regardless for casuals, just not planning a tournament for it. However, if there is enough interest for it, a BB tournament can be arranged on that day.

With all the feedback I've been getting about BBCSX, we should be running a tournament for it this Sunday.

Also, I'll be taking votes from people for the fundraiser arcade board.

The two front runners are Under Night In-Birth and the Persona 4 fighter.

Also, can someone bring a PS2 for Sunday? Mine has been acting up (I think the lens is mis-aligned). A copy of GGAC would be great, too. I lost my copy and all I have is AC+.

I'll toss mine in the bag, then.

Also, more interested in the Persona Fighter than Under-Night. Maybe that's just because there's barely any footage of UN, but P4U definitely looks to play closer to GG than BB.

so we still having our meetup tomarrow for causal or we gonna keep it on hold for sunday?

I'll be at the arcade Friday with BB for PS3. A bunch of us are meeting together for it.

Shout-outs to Guymam for carpooling Sanoshi, Obaloney, and me. Not many people can make that sacrifice. Thanks Id_asz for running the BB tournament at the last minute. Also shout-outs to Derek, Severin, Raptor, Mandy, Rachel, MikeZ, brkrdave, and people that I was too dizzy to meet/remember after a few hours. Shout-outs to near clutch losses after picking up ex for the first 15 mins.

Results (1/8/12)!

Guilty Gear XX Λ Core:

1st Place: Mike Z. [Potemkin]

2nd: Jason D. [Axl]

3rd: Sanoshi [bridget]

4th: DQRF [sol]

6th: TheRealBobman [i-No]

6th: Boloney O's [Anji]

9th: Id_ASZ [baiken]

9th: Raptor [bridget]

9th: Shazam [ky]

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend:

1st Place: Severin [Λ -11-]

2nd: BRKR Dave [Rachel]

3rd: Bond [Ragna]

4th: Boloney Os [Tager]

6th: Raptor [Noel]

6th: Guyman [Hazama]

8th: CTKZero [Relius]

8th: Mike Z. [Tager]

12th: Delta [Noel]

12th: Kid Grave

12th: Jason D. [Rachel]

12th: Ren [Jin]

16th: Plectrum [Tager]

16th: Diozyros [Tsubaki]

16th: Shazam [Hazama, Hakumen]

16th: Grean Tea Lava [Makoto]

It was great seeing everybody again! There were a ton of new faces, too!

So, I'm still planning on doing that fundraiser in the future. We'll be taking $1 from the pot for each airdasher game; each dollar will be collected in a pool that will go towards purchasing a new airdasher arcade board.

I'm going to have us take a vote, but it will be a little subjective. I'm only really going to count people who show up to tournaments or regularly play at the arcade. If some random guy who's never been to the arcade and won't come if we got a new game votes, his vote shouldn't really matter.

So, here's the games I'm recommending:

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend:

Pros: It would be great to have an arcade board for this game and get more people interested in it.

Cons: I would really prefer if we got a board for a game that is not out/won't come out for console. There's some games out there that we wouldn't see for years unless we got the arcade board.

Arcana Heart 3:

Pros: The game already has a good following, and it matches well with some of the other games we've got. This game is also cheaper than the others, and we'd be able to get it faster than most.

Cons: Again, it would be nice if we didn't get a board for a game that's already out.

Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena: (http://andriasang.com/objmmr/persona_4_ultimate/)

Pros: This is a new fighter that is made by Arc System Works and Atlus, so it goes well with Guilty and BlazBlue. The game has name recognition and a lot of people like the Persona series.

Cons: Arc has not always made the best choices when it comes to team-ups (i.e. Arc + Capcom = Sengoku Basara X). Make sure you check out the system mechanics of this game before you see if it's a good game; don't just think, "Persona is awesome, Arc is awesome, it's like peanut butter and jelly!"

Under Night In-Birth: (http://inbirth.info/index.html)

Pros: This is a new HD fighter by Ecole, the makers of Melty Blood. It looks really nice, graphically. Personally, I really like when a company starts a brand new franchise, it's a risky move, but it's nice to have that fresh start.

Cons: A lot of people don't like Melty Blood's simplistic style. I'm not sure how much of that is carrying over into UNIB, but it seems to be an "HD Melty."

Daemon Bride: Additional Gain: (http://www.examu.co.jp/dmb/)

Pros: Damon Bride is a fighting game made by Examu, the makers of Arcana Heart. It has a really cool art style and a unique "Angels vs. Demons" motif. This is an update to the original which came out in 2009, so this update is something over 2 years in the making, giving it some promise. The original was not designed for HD, but the new update is for the Taito X2 system and is definitely HD compatible. This game DOES NOT have an all female under-age cast like Arcana Heart; most of the characters are male (This may or may not be a benefit =P).

Cons: The original Daemon Bride has been known to not be very good in terms of gameplay.

You know, I honestly still don't really care for Persona. I have 3 and I keep hearing great things about 4...but by people who kind of have a shitty taste in games. I can't really bring myself to get back to P3 since I'm king of sick of RPGs in general, but the game itself still has my vote for the moment. Under Night still doesn't have enough footage to convince me of anything, and although Daemon Bride is supposed to be Examu's equivalent of IaMP, I just cannot bring myself to stomach the motif. Everything just feels so blah about it.

I'd honestly hope you could pick up a copy of Gundam ExVS before we do (Bobman, Blumpkin King and I all agreed to pitch in for a copy sometime down the line, and hopefully soon), and having it on four arcade boards would be absolutely awesome, though FFA doesn't have the room unless you clear out a few of your three (four?) Third Strike setups. Geez. The console version does have split screen, but to play the actual 2v2, you need four screens and four PS3, which already sounds like a massive hassle.

One more thing: CATHERINE. I WILL RUN TOURNAMENTS. GAME IS TOO GOOD.

Thanks to everyone for the great BB tourney, had a lot of fun.

As for the new board. I'd throw my vote in for under night, Merkava looks sick. The link for Daemon bride shoots you over to under night (great subtle hint haha) Here's some gameplay of it if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8JafAcem56A

I also sent a facebook request for the socal group. Dunno if we need any forewarning or anything, but my name is Trevor and my handle is Plectrum

yesterday was pretty fun!

even though skullgirls wasn't set up in favor of fucking catherine, that game can burn

it was great meeting so many new people, INCLUDING MY NETPLAY NEMESIS

also I vote p4u here is why

we have csex on consoles

it's time to move onâ„¢ from AH3

socal doesn't play meltan bread, we won't play unib

daemon bride is lolis

logic

I also vote Persona 4: Ultimate in the Mayaokenoasiensks Arena.

Why? Name recognition. That alone will get it more plays than anything else.

(Also, because I can instant-death people.)

Congrats on 3rd place, Sanoshi <3 Keep it up, hun *hugs*...Holding it down in GG and supporting the scene. Also good to know these Air Dasher RanBats are going strong <3 Really want to make it to one someday, but the button layout scares me:O

I vote P4U and here's why:

Yukiko

Yukiko

Yukiko

NO ROLL SYSTEM

Yukiko

It looks like it might actually be a good game