Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sniping_sheep

sol vs baiken: SW loops: in need of some advice

I've been playing AC+ since last year's summer, but still can't figure a way to do SW loops on baiken

In CMs, i see sol players doing what i call a TK CLSW.......is the reason i can't do it the fact that i play with a PS2 joystick or is it just me?!?

Pls reply, cause my brain's really itching me....

Shouldn't this be in either the combo thread or the Baiken matchup thread? Or maybe just the AC Sol general thread? Seriously, we have threads for these questions; you can use them!

Anyway, if you're having trouble with TK CLSW stuff, the problem is probably your input or timing or whatever -- it's entirely possible to do them on a pad or a joystick. If you're doing a neutral jump CLSW, you don't actually need to TK it at all; just jump straight up and then input the SW motion. This should be pretty simple with a little practice, and even leaves some room for nuance (the SW motion doesn't actually have to be inputted instantly, so you have a little time to change when/where it hits). If you're going forward, though, you have to TK it. The motion is just 2369H, which isn't too bad on a pad or joystick either.

Some loops (which have almost certainly been posted before) to get you started:

WT, dash under, 2H, nj.CLSW, 2H, nj.H xx CLSW, nj.S xx CLSW, BR

[if WTing out of the corner] WT, dash , j.D xx CLSW, 2H, nj.H xx CLSW, nj.S xx CLSW, BR

WT, dash under, [2H nj.CLSW]x2-3, 2H, BR

[whatever gatling] 2D xx BR, RC, wait, CLSW, [empty jump forward, wait, CLSW]x2-3, optional dash, j.S xx VV kick

[in the corner] CLGV, j.S xx CLSW, wait for Baiken to pass over head, dash, 5S, 2H, TK CLSW (going forward), wait for Baiken to pass overhead again, 5K/5S xx BR

this must mean i'm a complete retard....I've been practicing all day long

i think i'll stick with BB & GF FRC loops on baiken

IF...i ever manage to do at least a 2 or 3 CLSW loop on her, I'll thank the heavens, lol

thx for the advice anyway

There's really no need to beat yourself up if you can't do the full loops yet. Think of it as a work in progress. :)

Also, there's nothing wrong with going for only 1 or 2 SWs if that's all you can get consistently; it's generally more important to hit the combo and get the knockdown than risk dropping it for a little extra damage anyway.

i slightly disagree with that. if there is an important match on the line by all means play it safe. however, if it is just some casual matches with friends or net play or something like that, i say try for the hardest combo in that situation under the notion that if you try it enough and find your self in that situation you'll eventually be able to do it. but that is really just my opinion. when learning new things particularly new competitive games i follow the idea that if it's a good idea to try for it even if it costs you the match try for it.

now returning to the topic at hand. Sw loops are really hard and especially if you just go straight into side winder with out any normals to help string it(not sure if that's the right term but i think it makes sense). try playing around with jumping up and doing either D S or HS and play around with the timings on those. it normally makes it quite a bit easier, it does a little bit less damage but requires less practice. also if your really stubborn about wanting the straight SW when playing against a character you've not played much against pay close attention to where the "sweet spot" is. that is the clean hit zone on the character, normally the mid to high chest on most characters. and after you have a pretty good idea where the sweet spot is you can adjust your timing easier by looking for where your SW hit them. if it hit their feet then you just need to do it later and try to hit it later. this method of practicing SW loops on odd characters is what worked for me and is worth giving a try:keke:

also as a note Sidewinder is very much by feel and visual ques much more than any other combo that i know of. you cannot do it blind like other characters combos so it's not so much a very precise timing it changes depending on each characters weight and hit box and distance from the wall and a bunch of other small things so use your eyes to guesstimate where the right time is.

i'm sorry for any thing that may have confused you and i probably won't remember to check back very soon because i don't read this forum all that often so it might be a bit before i respond.:sweatdrop: