Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dusk Thanatos

Is there a guide to GG for people coming from BB?

It just sounds like it'd be a good idea, and getting more people who're already on the ArcSys bandwagon to learn GG might be more viable since AC seems to have (not immediately user-friendly, but workable) netplay now.

And personally, tons of us have heard how GG is supposedly mindblowingly complex. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't -- I wouldn't know myself (I think I've been told how hard GG is has been exaggerated as hell, but idk) -- but I think a guide showing common points between the two games might make GG look less intimidating. = /

it's honestly rather hard to come up with much in common between the two. i guess you could say that gg sort of "feels" like bb when you first play it; even if they share similar mechanics (which is a stretch), the application of things like instant blocking, faultless/barrier defense, etc are all pretty different.

the more you understand both games, the more you'll understand how different they are.

the best way to figure it out is to just play for yourself. there's been accent core frame and system data here for years- use it to get a head start.

edit: for the record, the complexity of gg is definitely overstated. the depth of gg, however, is rarely given the credit it deserves.

It just sounds like it'd be a good idea, and getting more people who're already on the ArcSys bandwagon to learn GG might be more viable since AC seems to have (not immediately user-friendly, but workable) netplay now.

And personally, tons of us have heard how GG is supposedly mindblowingly complex. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't -- I wouldn't know myself (I think I've been told how hard GG is has been exaggerated as hell, but idk) -- but I think a guide showing common points between the two games might make GG look less intimidating. = /

How hard it is depends on who you decide to play as. If you play I-No you have a good 100 hour road ahead of you to get down her B&B's. She's also one of the characters that totally utilizes the game mechanics to function. If you play as Ky, you have a much short and easier path.

The best thing to do is pick a character and visit their forums. Some of the lingo may take you a minute to catch onto but there is a guide on the main page for that. lol

GG & BB are really nothing a like. BB is closer to SF4 than GG.

Umm, there a plenty of guides on how to play GG on this site.

Donno why you need a specific guide aimed for BB players, opposed to playing GG and coming from any other fighting game background. :v:

I can see this as a good idea... but who would have to write it in order for people not to shit on it?

Some kind of deity, probably.

I don't know, I'm kind of interested in learning to play GG as well, but I think I could probably manage to do so without a guide geared specifically towards me as a BB player. If what the others say is true and they're so radically different aside from aesthetics, it may actually be better to start off with no ill conceived notions of what the game is like, right?

Donno why you need a specific guide aimed for BB players, opposed to playing GG and coming from any other fighting game background. :v:

Site usership.

This is the hub site for GG and BB. As a result, if you're even mildly serious about BB, you're absolutely going to run into somebody talking about GG at some point. Repeated mentions lead to interest.

/Theoretically/, the guide would make it easier to capitalize on that interest.

Right now, I also need a PS2 stick to capitalize on my interest, but that's a project for later down the road. (Epic mod of my broken SE goooooooo)

If anything if there were a guide, it would be like "In GG, there is this character. It is like this character in BB because blah blah blah."

If anything if there were a guide, it would be like "In GG, there is this character. It is like this character in BB because blah blah blah."

I don't think this would work. There are more characters in GG, and possibly some characters in BB that don't have a similar character in GG.

sounds like a dumb idea imo. how to you cater a guide like that? a guide is just there to help all people out. if people could learn the game back then when there was no bb, im sure people with a bb background will have a much easier time due to time spent in an airdasher.

The only things I could see going into a Blazblue to Guilty Gear guide would be a list of differences in mechanics. Guilty Gear's really not that complex of a game, it's simply an airdash fighter with a heavier emphasis on fundamentals than say, Blazblue (which I guess could go in the guide as well. Most of the people I know who started with fighting games with Blazblue or play mainly Blazblue, myself included, have terrible fundamentals). That, and execution is harder.

Site usership.

This is the hub site for GG and BB. As a result, if you're even mildly serious about BB, you're absolutely going to run into somebody talking about GG at some point. Repeated mentions lead to interest.

/Theoretically/, the guide would make it easier to capitalize on that interest.

Right now, I also need a PS2 stick to capitalize on my interest, but that's a project for later down the road. (Epic mod of my broken SE goooooooo)

My point was, if there was interest, all a player needs to do is read the guides that already exist.

A player new to the game, is a player new to the game no matter what, if any game, they played before it.

Being familiar with BB, they should be able to say "oh hey, that works sort of like x mechanic in BB".

Unless, you are telling me BB players lack that ability, and need it all spelled out, specifically for them. :v:

/blatant trolling

I figured it would be more to help dispel the OMG GG WILL FRY MY BRAIN mindset than anything else.

It's basically saying "You see this game you already play? Some things are going to be harder, but you're already dealing with X level of difficulty/complexity/depth/whatever."

Even though I don't play GG, I feel like there are tons of misconceptions about the game floating around scaring people off. This could help deal with that.

I figured it would be more to help dispel the OMG GG WILL FRY MY BRAIN mindset than anything else.

It's basically saying "You see this game you already play? Some things are going to be harder, but you're already dealing with X level of difficulty/complexity/depth/whatever."

Even though I don't play GG, I feel like there are tons of misconceptions about the game floating around scaring people off. This could help deal with that.

Maybe an article spelling out the similarities and differences between BB and GG would be another option that would do the same thing?

Just an idea, open to criticism.

A BB's players guide to GG would introduce fundamentals BB players might not be use to, like "How to eat a mixup" or "How to tell if the OP is going for a throw setup" and most importantly "How to block on a wakeup"

You should really just play the game.

You should really just play the game.

I have a copy, but no one to play without netplay and no PS2 stick.

The whole "no PS2 stick" is the real killer, here. I /really/ don't want to play on pad. I should probably get on that... especially since the game I honestly want to play most atm (MBAA) is kind of PS2-onry and FUCK TK FLAMERIBBON ON PADDDDDDD