Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hecatom

Under Night In-Birth, PS3 release confirmed (Jul 24, 2014)

http://www.kakuge.com/wiki/pages/置き

Oki and okizeme are two different things in Japanese fighting game terminology. They are even written with a different kanji. The way they use in this UNI is correct from the perspective of Japanese terminology.

I'm pretty familiar with the Japanese terminology as I translated the JP UNI wiki, but what I meant with "not knowing the terminology" was that I have never bothered to study American terminology and can't say for sure that it wouldn't contradict with American terminology.

I see, that's exactly what I wanted to know. thanks! (y).

So does anyone have experience with pre-ordering on Play-Asia? I pre-ordered and paid via paypal and was wondering how long after release I should be expecting it wait.

Part of me is thinking I should have just decided to buy it digitally, but I really like having a disk so I pre-ordered.

so hyped for this game

does anyone know if it'll be on the asia/hk psn as well? Couldn't find any info on that, don't feel like making yet another psn account :< 

That picture from Dengeki is definitely drawn by the character designer Yoshihara and it sure looks like it would fit in the Character Select screen... except she doesn't have anything to fight with... Well, Famitsu article already proves that they planned to have Tsukuyomi as a playble character. Here are the translated bits of Famitsu interview. I'll go and start translating Dengeki article.

- Mori mailed Narita nearly everyday about the development
- Tag team begun from the fact that Mori and Narita were friends and Mori knows most of the French Bread staff. He was already involved in the original arcade version.
- Mori rejected a bunch of original ideas in the original arcade version which were changed and we ended up with the version that released 2 years ago.
- Mori offered ArcSys would share their know-how about the Network Mode which ultimately lead to this collaboration.
- French Bread ported the arcade characters completely ported to PS3 and added new characters.Then Arc took that game and added Network Mode and other elemtns needed for the console version.
- Development of the console port was decided around the Tokyo Game Show last year.
- Basics of the game were finished and the game was left in Arc's hands around the end of last year.
- It took a long time until French Bread got originally Windows-based arcade version to run on PS3 since they had never done such a port.

- Narita says that: "If Under Night's story would have been something grand, it would have overlapped with certain a lot bigger company's creation" *stares at Mori*
- "In-Birth" might be a bit forced name, but they have once died and they are on the "inverse side of nature".
- Idea for GRD started with people saying "I don't know what should I do in this situation" so Narita wanted to make a clear difference to when to go offensive and when to remain defensive.
- Mori: "That gauge system is now so much better than it originally was" *laughs*
- Original idea was "fighting game focused on defense" and GRD was just a defense meter and some people were like "Can you really make a game with defense?"
and the first thing Mori said when he saw the concept 3-4 years ago was: "No one will go offensive if defense is so much stronger!"
- Concept and system were contradicting. How can you reach beginners if defense is stronger than offense? Most of the beginners don't even know that you block by holding the stick to the opposite direction.  Only pro players care about defense game.
- In order to make a next-generation fighting game like "Calamity Trigger", French Bread needed to adapt and use HD sprites.
- French Bread first tried doing sprites on their own to notice how much it took time. Then they approached Mori to find what his magical solution was in the process of creating HD sprites.

- Mori answered: "It will cost a whole lot of money until it's complete"
- Mori says back in the day the original Melty Blood was surprising title and it effected many things in the development of "Guilty Gear X"

- Nanase was nearly ready to be added into arcades before the negotiations about console port begun, so French Bread ended up saving the character for better timing.
- "You already have one character, so which not add another one now that you have a chance", Mori said and that led to the creation of Byakuya.
- "Now that console version is out people will see that French Bread has intention to continue the series. Arcade players had to wait for a long time to this console version adn there's no way this is simply ending right after we release the console version. While we keep adding more characters and widening the story of this game arcade version gets upgraded and most likely gets a sequel eventually. That's what I wanted to tell Narita when I encouraged him to add Byakuya.", Mori explains.
- French Bread was reflecting that they don't have a character with simple personality and simpel gameplay - that lead to Nanase.
- Biggest problem with Byakuya was so make sure everyone got he's a student but that his character wouldn't overlap with Hyde.
- Originally French Bread planned to have his big sister Tsukuyomi also as a playable character, but gave on the idea since 2 girls and 1 boy would force them to create 2nd male character to keep the character selection balanced.
- Narita originally rejected the idea of Byakuya reminding of a spider. They had already thought up a new ability for him, but then changed their mind since spider was more simple to get.
- "I'm really happy if you can figure many ways to annoy your opponents with Byakuya", Narita says.

- Arc originally thought it would be rather simple to add Network Mode to the game, but it ended up being really troublesome because the game was just ported from arcades and didn't have anything else programmed.
- They way game searched and read data was disjoint and it took a lot of time, so the program was altered a lot to optimize the loading times.
- Originally we simply inteded to do a Training Mode that was similiar to the one in arcade version, but Ishikawa from ArcSys said he'll create even better Training Mode than in P4U and that's how they ended up with this Traning Mode.
- Currently the release is planned for Japane only, but we're thinking of releasing the game in the rest of Asia later. I'm sure it'll be liked by the anime fans of Taiwan, Hong-Kong and Singapore.
- Timing of the arcade update hasn't been planned but we plan to make it so that people who got interested in console version can also play new characters in arcades.
- "If console version is popular enough, I'm sure "Under Night" can join list of games in our annual fighting game tournament.", Mori says.

Very good news that ArcSys is handling the netcode. No one wants another Aquapazza disaster on that front.

Interesting revelation that the original doujin release of MB was a major influence on GGX.

- Originally French Bread planned to have his big sister Tsukuyomi also as a playable character, but gave on the idea since 2 girls and 1 boy would ruin the balance.

I don't understand this reason. What does Tsukuyomi being a girl have to do with the balance of the game? Can someone explain what they mean by that?

I don't understand this reason. What does Tsukuyomi being a girl have to do with the balance of the game? Can someone explain what they mean by that?

My bad. Wording is a bit bad... They say it would ruin the fact that there's supposedly an even amount of playable male and female characters. If Tsukuyomi would have been added they would have needed to add a second male character to the game to keep the character selection balanced = more stuff to be created = in the end, console version would have been even more late.

The Japanese call option selects "grapps"?

I'm pretty sure that's what they call that specific option select.

Can you please explain these to me. I didn't understand a thing about "grapps" watching the video. It has something to do with escaping from continous pressure I think.

They were talking about an option select to beat the throw/assault mixup. by holding 1 and hitting a+b+c you cover the input for both grabbing (a+b) as well as a move that can hit the attacker out of their assault (in this case 2/1C). This only works for characters with a 2C that will beat the assault.

This is similar to SFIVs crouch tech option select, where you hold downback and hit lp+lk, because you are crouching the lk will come out unless the other person tries to throw you in which case you will tech the throw because you have used the input to tech throws, if there is a stagger or gap in their blockstring you can hit them out with crouching lk because there is no crouching wiff animation for throws.

Thanks. I've heard the term crouch tech lately a lot but that's also remained a mystery until now. Cheers!

I see that we finally have a section for the game, cool :toot:

Hey all, this thread had a great life, but with the new section there is a new News and Gameplay thread. Since this one is so big and full, we're just going to move discussion over to the new one, but keep this one here and locked so people can still see it and everything in it. Have fun with the new forum <3