Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Option89

Hori Real Arcade Pro V3 SA vs Mad Catz TE vs Qanba Empire Arcadia

Not to be an echo in here, but yeah, stick with the square gate. You'll definitely thank us later. Stick-wise, SE with sanwa/seimitsu parts if you plan to go on the cheap. Custom Egret III Cp if you're rich.

sorry to dig this thread up from the grave, but I am particularly asking the same question too (minus Qanba)

I am leaning towards Hori's RAP V3 SA since it seems to look like the arcade layout in Japan (proximity of the button to the stick). Is this just me, or am I blowing smoke (since the time I played at Japan, it felt sorta cramped. Then again, I was also very newbie in that game). I played around with the TE and I like it, but I sorta want to support something Arc is supporting, which I think is Hori.

Another thing I want to ask is, once I buy this Hori stick, am I allowed to customize it, in particular the restrictor gate, since I have heard they are square originally (so i would definitely like to have it something a bit more easier, maybe circular or octagonal -but if anyone want to talk me out of changing this and leaving it a square, please tell me...)

thanks for answering newbie questions

I guess personally, I'm against square gates. They're the first thing to go when i get a new stick. That being said, I come from Street Fighter and playing input characters that rely on the QCF motion. I have friends who play charge chars and they swear by the square gate. That gate makes it very comfortable to constantly charge down&back simultaneously. I've had friends who play on the smooth circle and they were just used to the American cabs for MvC2. So for me, the octagona is perfect because I can feel the click of where my stick is. So it all really depends on what games you're playing. Hope that helps :kitty:

Yes, it matters what game you're playing in the sense that you probably want a Plus gate or something if you're playing Pacman, but for 2D fighting games, you probably want something with clear diagonals (Preferably square, but you can get away with Octagonal). It's not hard to do QCF motions on a square gate. In fact, from what I understand, it breeds good habits about not "riding the gate". It's also noticably easier to find your diagonals for, say, DP motions.

So unless you're playing MK, it doesn't really matter which 2D fighter you are playing - they all have QCF motions, and it's probably wisest to just learn on square.

Hmm. I suppose that's a good way to practice. I've grown up with it that way and now you guy's have got me thinking about my inputs haha. In my head I feel like the octagonal gate is closer to the switches than the square. Wouldn't you be "riding the gate" more if you're going all the way into the corner for DP?

Hmm. I suppose that's a good way to practice. I've grown up with it that way and now you guy's have got me thinking about my inputs haha. In my head I feel like the octagonal gate is closer to the switches than the square. Wouldn't you be "riding the gate" more if you're going all the way into the corner for DP?

not if you're used to it

not if you're used to it

how so? Not trying to start anything, this is just the first place I've seen everyone pro square. Interesting to see diff POVs.

What I meant to say is that when you do your DP, I actually do the Z pattern to the point where i don't ride the corner like you may in the octagon to hit the diagonal. You're actually decreasing the zone where you can hit the diagonal if you're using that octogate

not if you're used to it

Pretty much this, but to clarify - square gates have larger areas in the diagonals. If you look at this:

square_gate2.png

vs

octagon_gate.png

You can see that a square gate gives you more space in the corners.

There's an interesting sort of discussion of gates here

ahhhhh makes a lot of sense. I just signed up for this forum and already figured out more than I have from SRK.

ahhhhh makes a lot of sense. I just signed up for this forum and already figured out more than I have from SRK.

you haven't been surfing tech talk apparently

you haven't been surfing tech talk apparently

Even tech talk has a pretty bad signal/noise ratio unless you know which threads to skip over.

I mean't that as a compliment to this site, mr. mortified. I enjoy SRK but theres a lot of salt to sift through/jaded members when looking for info. It's just not something I've come across, so I was very interested to see the opinions of those here.