Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stryfe

Stryfe's Uprising! March 26th Battleground Arena. Vernon, CT SSF4, MvC3, GG/AH3/BB

Which game do you want as the third game in the tournament lineup? GG, AH3, or BB.  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which game do you want as the third game in the tournament lineup? GG, AH3, or BB.

Alright, my Uprising's are back, and I plan on running them on a bi-monthly schedule. As far as the games I'm holding, the last one is undecided. I want everyone to vote in the last game in the lineup. Before, it would be Guilty Gear by default, but there's a few thing's I want to bring up..

The state of GG in general. I LOVE the game. It's one of the most solid fighter's ever made, and it's the game that got me into the fighting scene. I unfortunately started playing seriously in 09 when the game's community started moving on >_>; I'm not saying this about east coast, but as the community as a whole. Realistically, only 2-3 state's really play GG outside of tournaments. Optimistically, I want to attract more player's to the game (which is why I started this series.) At every major i've gone to, the same player's attend without any expansion of the scene..the same 30-50 people roughly. I can't honestly say our game is alive when new life isn't coming into our community. I want to know that running GG on the stream will make an overall difference. The community makes or breaks a game, and it seems like ours gave up on it. Again, I'm not speaking on NY or NE because you guys still put in work. People say the game isn't completely dead, which I agree with due to turnout at majors. But I can't say a game is alive when only the SAME handful of people in the entire country play, and a game where a lot of us have to drive for hours just to play one or two people. I'm running this tournament for the fighting game community in general. Not just for GG. So, I'm placing the decision to run GG on a vote. I wanted to voice my opinion on the community because the only way to fix something is to address it. The games to vote on are going to be Guilty Gear, Arcana Heart(crack) 3, and Blazblue: CS. Everyone can feel free to voice their opinion without it turning into flaming. I want you guys to tell me what you think and what you want in this next tournament.

The rules, games, and times will be updated when the third game is chosen, and when I have more concrete detail's on how Marvel will be setup.

Host venue:

The Battle Ground Game Arena

378 Kelly Road, Unit #3

Vernon, CT USA 06066

860-896-5288

Saturday March 26th, 2011. The venue opens at noon. Registration starts at noon.

Time edit: SSFIV teams will be taken out to ensure that there will be enough time for Marvel singles.

SSFIV singles will start at 2:00 pm.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 singles will start at 4:00 pm.

Guilty Gear Accent Core singles will start at 2:00 pm during SSFIV singles.

Games.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (PS2)

Super Street Fighter IV (360)

Marvel vs Capcom 3 (360)

There will be an Arcana Heart 3 side tournament. I'll arrange space and time to run it.

Money.

Venue fee - $5

SSFIV singles - $10

Guilty Gear Accent Core singles- $10

Marvel vs Capcom 3 singles- $10

Pot split.

Singles - 70/20/10 (or 70/30, if the turnout is low)

Rules.

General:

-BYOC (bring your own controller)

-No pausing during match

-Rounds are set at 3

-Best 2 out of 3 matches

-Best 3 out of 5 matches for all finals

-Double elimination

-Time limit set to 99

SSFIV singles (360):

-See general rules

-All characters allowed

-Winner must keep the same character, but can select a new ultra in game 2 or 3, but has to pick the ultra before the opponent picks theirs. This does not apply to blind pick.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 (360)

-See general rules

-All characters allowed

GG 3v3 teams (PS2):

-No use of like characters (Ky, Ky, and Sol, etc.)

-After team member loses match, next team member plays

-No EX, gold, or shadow characters

-Kliff and Justice banned

GG singles (PS2):

-See general rules

-No EX, gold, or shadow characters

-Kliff and Justice banned

-Button mapping allowed

One more reminder to bring SETUPS! And get hype!

I'm just gonna place my vote on Guilty Gear, the other two games (well I'm not too sure about AH3 since I haven't been too up and up on the FG community as of late but I would assume so.) see enough play at other tournaments. Since GG barely has anything that you can call a scene in the US that's double the reason that we should have our time/place to get together to preserve what little we do have.

Hey how about making a poll for which system Super and MvC3 should be on? I think your poll's should be on this site and SRK to make it fair.

My reasoning for 360 use only

1.BG already has 360's so that's less work for the community to bring set ups

2.Pretty much all of CT play's on 360 so set up's wouldn't be an issue

3.The sf community has been playing on 360 for a while now so why mess with the system.

Example's are-Project Failure(CT),PlaynTrade Danbury(CT),Takashi Cup(CT),Souper Bowl(MA),The Break(NJ), and Guard Crush(NY) I could go on but I believe that's enough example's. Souper Bowl is already running MvC3 on 360 too and I believe the rest of the community will do the same once Marvel 3 is released.

The second issue is "why don't we just use both systems"

This would be a terrible idea because then you have player's who would only play on specific systems. If you allow "pad warrior's" to join then it would cause more conflict and have your tourney run alot slower. There is also a timing issue when it come's to each system.

Video of timing for each system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj3zg3z5ilc&feature=related

I believe I have made my point's and since you are just deciding to take SF seriously I figured I would give you my opinion, Andrea.

As much as I love GG, my vote will go to AH3. Also, if you need any help running brackets, I will volunteer my services.

SSF4 will now be held on 360 due the community using 360 set-ups for sometime now, however Marvel will still be on ps3, also the vote for the third and final game is to remain only on dustloop to avoid double voting

Tom~At first I put in the same format for my last tournament, but 360 only is the norm now. I know about the timing issue, so please don't say that like I don't know common knowledge about Super. It will definitely be held on 360 from now on and I apologize for not updating the old format.

As for the vote, if we put it on both site's people could vote for the same game twice. And I don't think it's a good idea to have the same discussion happening on here and SRK because things may turn into a "so and so on srk/dustloop said" deal.

Since super's going to be on 360 though it makes sense to put Marvel on it as well to be consistent. And so we won't have to change setups out/waste time. So Mahvel~ is on 360 now too.

Kona~Thanks help is always welcome :)

So far..9 for Arcana and 6 for Gear.

I understand and see a lot of truth in your statements about the community. The game really needs to be released on newer consoles, and could really use netplay. Please see my thread on that subject here. If that ever happens (and even if it doesn't), I hope the community will step it up for this game, because the game is worth the effort.

Although I am really enjoying that Arcana Heart 3, my vote goes to Guilty Gear XX Accent Core. SSMugen made a good point. And aside from that, I am still hoping that we can get the scene going for this game (with or without a new version or more ports). That being said, I hope that there will be a side tournament for AH3 or GGXXAC; whichever is not voted in as the third game!

As for the system choice for MvC3 and SSFIV...I see Vigilante's points for running it on 360, and they make sense, but I still think it should be on PS3. Despite the fact that a lot of local tournaments run SSFIV on 360, a lot of the majors for the game are on PS3, including Evo, Winter Brawl, Final Round, Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament, and NorCal Regionals. I imagine East Coast Throwdown will be held on PS3 again as well. Even though the current local trend is to run SSFIV on 360, wouldn't it make more sense to be consistent with most majors? There is a difference in the feel of the two versions, and having to switch between them, especially around majors, is tedious to say the least.

Moreover, if we run Arcana Heart 3, it would have to be on PS3, as the game is currently import only, and 360 imports don't work on American 360s. If SSFIV were run on PS3, we could probably get more setups, since people would bring systems with AH3 as well, and we could switch out games as necessary. Plus, if the tournament were on PS3, it could be consistent across the board (for SSFIV, MvC3, and AH3).

In any case, I am in there for this tournament, and hope to see a serious turnout for all of the games! I'm interesting in entering GGXXAC, SSFIV, AH3, and MvC3. I will bring a PS2 with GGXXAC (be it for tournament, casuals, or both) and a PS3 with AH3 (under the same stipulations as GGXXAC) and SSFIV (if it will be run on that system). See you at Uprising!! :)

Stryfe, I understand your dismay about the GG community but making a poll to determine what game is played will only separate the community even more. A lot of the people that like GG like AH3 (even me), if you play it they will come. When we were doing the tourneys more and more new blood kept coming to playing because someone was playing the game. Playing the game is what gets more community, you can be upset but playing the game is doing something about it. The GG community in NY hasn't been so strong as when we did those tourneys and the turnouts were bigger than any other game there. Just something to think about.

Stryfe, I understand your dismay about the GG community but making a poll to determine what game is played will only separate the community even more. A lot of the people that like GG like AH3 (even me), if you play it they will come. When we were doing the tourneys more and more new blood kept coming to playing because someone was playing the game. Playing the game is what gets more community, you can be upset but playing the game is doing something about it. The GG community in NY hasn't been so strong as when we did those tourneys and the turnouts were bigger than any other game there. Just something to think about.

The man has made some good points. I hope to see you and along with the NY and NJ crews here for the tournament!

I understand where you're coming from Ahmaad and you know I have love for the game. But we need to look at the big picture, and I already stated it in my first post. The problem is that there are very few people in the whole country playing, we can't keep a game going by ourselves. And the community hasn't made an overall expansion. Plus, with the new wave of fighting game's coming out it's going to be even harder to convince new blood to play GG instead of a game with a lot more player's (and online play.) I want to make a difference, but we can only do so much. The game needs either online play or a new game to truly revive it. What truly divided the community are the problems the game has had from the start. The distance between player's, and lack of online play. I love the game, but I don't want to continue running GG without any real change happening. And with all the factors I just listed, it's gonna be extremely hard to do so. It makes more sense to run a game with more expansive potential.

This is good shit right here.

btw Andrea, what are you looking for in games that you add to your tournament roster? Just the possible turnout?

@Mugen~A game that in general is expanding and is played more than just a couple time's a year at majors. It's a lot more than turnout. Like I said, I can't say the game is alive when only a small handful of people play and a lot of that handful only play GG at majors. A LOT more needs to be done to revive the game than just a local tournament. Every major boils down to flying somewhere to play the same group of people each time. And it's discouraging to see that thing's aren't progressing. With so many new game's coming out now it's going to be super hard to get more people to play a game w/o online play and where competition is so spaced out. This vote is to see what the community in general wants, it's not just for the GG player's (which is why I linked this to SRK too) I wish GG was still like how it was back in 07. Then is when the game had life in it.

Oh and Blue i'm not changing the systems again. Everything you listed are majors, this is just a local tournament. Vigilante's right in that we should keep it consistent with what everyone around here is used to.

Guys, I know what I'm doing isn't agreeing with everyone, but I needed to be realistic about the state of GG. I want to support a game with a growing community. Not support a game to keep the same small group coming back thus continuing the current cycle. That's how it is now, and it sucks that the community has died down so much in the past couple year's. What it'll take to revive it is more than what we can do. GG local's have been running throughout the past few year's (ACT series) and they didn't change the core issues the game has. Lack of online play, and lack of player's. And the reason why i'm bringing this up now is because so many fighting game's are coming out without those core issues. Making it harder to refresh our community. We can't look at 3 states as a basis for the bigger picture.

It makes more sense to run a game with more expansive potential.

The AH3 community is for the most part the MB community, and I don't even see that game as an option on the poll. I have nothing against the poll, but I think your reasoning for putting forth the poll as a necessity is flawed. First and foremost, there will only be new interest in GG if people know that others are playing it, which can be done by hosting tournaments and casuals. Secondly, I don't think you understand that a new game doesn't necessarily signify that there will be an expansive growth of the community. Even if there was a new GG, the new does not displace the old. Players come and players go, but it's that strongly dedicated community of 40-50 players that you were talking about that ultimately decides whether a new game fades into obscurity or is kept alive. With a new MB on the horizon, I doubt that AH3 will have any lasting potential since the community that's supporting it now will migrate back to their main game. But even so, the people who would support AH3 past that hurdle know that the first step towards fostering a community is to not be pessimistic about it. We are a community of fighting gamers run by fighting gamers. We can only help ourselves, and having a positive attitude is the key.

That being said, my vote goes to GG.

@Mindgame~That's my point, one or two state's can't keep the game alive. I can't solely keep the game alive, it needs to be a collective effort from more people. And the game has not grown. Again, not all of the 40-50 even play the game regulary. A lot only "come out of retirement" at majors. The AH3 community isn't just MB. BB, GG, and even Super player's are playing it. How do I know this? The people who voted and the people who express interest in the game in general. People asked me to include it in the poll. I'm basing this off of majority, not anything off my own opinion. The poll makes it more fair because it allows everyone to voice what they want instead of me throwing in a game. It isn't pessimism, it's realism. Wishful thinking is things would go back to the 07 days. Realistic thinking is the game needs online play or a new game to hold it's ground now. If I didn't have optimism it wouldn't even be an option. It's up to you guys what goes in. And that's completely fair.

The vote is going to stay open til Feb 20th. Spooky agreed to stream it, and I'm gonna work hard to make sure the CT beatdown's run smoothly.

~One more thing, Otakuchin (the guy who ran the ACT series) ran SF4 with GG with the purpose of attracting more player's. He worked hard to run both together to expose the game to different communities and it didn't attract new player's. The "if we play it they will come" mentality has not worked and it has been tried many times. The game's core issue's (lack of online play, spaced out competition, and lack of a new game) are the problem, and that's what I meant by things that are out of our control.

Where's my MB option? D=<

While the largest scenes for MB/GG are in 2 states at you said, Stryfe, you cannot deny the existence of a growing scene right here in New England. If every tournament organizer had this mentality of "We aren't NY/NJ, we won't get a turnout" the games will not ever grow in any other respective regions. Instead of limiting great games such as Melty and Guilty to Jersey and New York, shouldn't we be focusing on strengthening our own scenes? A strong enough local scene will prompt out of state players to come to us.

As is, I don't think I can vote

The game really needs to be released on newer consoles, and could really use netplay. Please see my thread on that subject here. If that ever happens (and even if it doesn't), I hope the community will step it up for this game, because the game is worth the effort.

Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core has already been online for quite a while now. Thread->: : GGXX: Accent Core - now (actually) playable online!

It might give you some bad habits of timing your combo's too fast (i.e. I was missing my SE/EXE Beast FRC's and my sister was missing her CH SW Loops/her JI combos), if you play someone too far away... I also heard that you don't need really good PC specs to play it!

It's nowhere near a replacement for offline competition, but if you live in an isolated area, with no competition in sight (or don't feel like driving to your friends house all the time lol) -- and you're depserate for some competition, then I think you should atleast give it a try! :3

On the subject of a new GG: it is more than likely that if/when they make a new GG, it will be another Guilty Gear: OVERTURE, as Daisuke Ishiwatari has stated in both old and new interviews... With that said, IMO, I would just hope that AC get's ported to PS3/360.

Not trying to hijack/spam this thread -- just trying to let some people know :).

@Mindgame~That's my point, one or two state's can't keep the game alive. I can't solely keep the game alive, it needs to be a collective effort from more people. And the game has not grown. Again, not all of the 40-50 even play the game regulary. A lot only "come out of retirement" at majors. The AH3 community isn't just MB. BB, GG, and even Super player's are playing it. How do I know this? The people who voted and the people who express interest in the game in general. People asked me to include it in the poll. I'm basing this off of majority, not anything off my own opinion. The poll makes it more fair because it allows everyone to voice what they want instead of me throwing in a game. It isn't pessimism, it's realism. Wishful thinking is things would go back to the 07 days. Realistic thinking is the game needs online play or a new game to hold it's ground now. If I didn't have optimism it wouldn't even be an option. It's up to you guys what goes in. And that's completely fair.

I agree with what you're saying about it being a collective effort, but, not everyone has the access to a venue to hold something something weekly/bi-weekly/monthly etc. So when those that do, drop the game off their roster, that's just one step closer to nobody playing it.

The whole, "if more people put effort in, I would too", attitude is the whole reason the game is in the state that it currently is. You can't keep it going on your own, no, but, if you remain apart of those who don't give up, you are giving it the chance to grow. If you just give up because not enough people play, then you're just helping to smother it.

Just food for thought.

I will be there definitely, and if you need help running things Stryfe I'll gladly lend a hand and laptop for the cause [as well as setups].

Also voting for GGAC

I vote for MvC3 team tournament and can we have an AH3 remembrance ceremony.. obviously some of you haven't moved on... :\

It's time to move on...

I voted AH3. Even if it will fade into obscurity pretty quickly, might as well squeeze as many tourneys in it as possible before that happens. As for GG, as much as I want to get into it, I can't see it happening. Either way, I don't see the GG scene dying anytime soon (didn't it get more tourney entries at NEC than BB?) so I don't think that's an issue of high priority right this moment. That's just me from an uneducated standpoint.

Honestly I believe that AH3 has a lot of potential and is probably one of the only other fighting games I'm going to seriously play but GG is where the heart is. MVC3 is over a decade old and only until recently did they have any online play, neither did 3S but there were tournaments all the time that included the game into the roster. The same thing could be said about games that came out recently do you see any Mortal Kombat vs. DC, Tatsunoko locals, or HD remix locals, they have online and still get not much play. The more you keep the game out of the roster the faster you kill it so all you are helping to do is perpetuate the same cycle. You can't blame a magnificently made game for not getting play because it doesn't have all the pretty new gadgets. The game does dictate the people that play it, but not the strength of the community, it never will. Also with me playing AH3, VS, GG, and Vanpri, I'm the king of dead of games.

@Nerdjosh - I saw what you did there. That was quite funny if I do say so myself.