Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steez

Need a DIY Fightstick guide

First post on Dustloop after a long time. Haha.

Anyways, I just picked up MVC3 and I'm planning to pick up Arcana Hearts when it drops on the PSN, and I'm, simply put, dying for a fightstick really damn bad. I've been wanting one for the longest time but was unable to get one due to me not having a job and all that stuff.

Thing is, I've been seeing a lot of custom fight sticks everywhere, and I want to make my own custom one now. I have absolutely no idea how to make one however, so I was wondering if someone could point me to the direction of a reliable site to buy all the parts and perhaps a guide to how to put it all together? I know it's a pain in the ass but I'm sure I can pull it off with enough patience.

I also already have a broken ps3 controller laying around, will I be able to use that for the internal parts? Cause I know you need it for something.:gonk:

Anyways, thanks for the help in advance.

I need a suggestion when it comes to 8-Way gates. Which one should I go with if I'm leaning towards fighting games? The square 8-way?

I need a suggestion when it comes to 8-Way gates. Which one should I go with if I'm leaning towards fighting games? The square 8-way?

go for the square 4-way, not the octagon 8-way. it's slightly more accurate and it's the arcade standard for fighting games.

Sounds good. Also, what should I use for the base of the case? I've seen a lot of different things (wood, steel, etc...). Which would you recommend?

Sounds good. Also, what should I use for the base of the case? I've seen a lot of different things (wood, steel, etc...). Which would you recommend?

wood is used the most just because of it's availability and how easy it is to work with, but i've seen cases made out of everything from plexiglass to gun cases to shoeboxes. you can get creative with what you make your case out of, but i'd recommend wood if it's your first stick.

Alright. And as for recycling my old PS3 controller to use that as the PCB for the new board, that's entirely possible? It'll be connected the same way I'm assuming? Like a USB cable connected to the top of the Fightstick and possibly the home button in another location?

Also, will a ps2 controller work on the PS3? I'm assuming it won't since it lacks USB.

Sorry for droppin all the questions on you. D:

Alright. And as for recycling my old PS3 controller to use that as the PCB for the new board, that's entirely possible? It'll be connected the same way I'm assuming? Like a USB cable connected to the top of the Fightstick and possibly the home button in another location?

Yes, it's also known as padhacking. There's a thread on shoryuken.com that has some good info about that, slagcoin has some information regarding specific controllers as well.

So as far as parts that I would need to order if I'm padhacking, I'd need:

8 Buttons

Joystick

A set of each wire in different colors (Probably would make my life easier)

What else?

Just want to make sure I get my order right the first time so I'm not missing anything haha.

So as far as parts that I would need to order if I'm padhacking, I'd need:

8 Buttons

Joystick

A set of each wire in different colors (Probably would make my life easier)

What else?

Just want to make sure I get my order right the first time so I'm not missing anything haha.

Um...

When you say 8 buttons, how many and of what kind? You mentioned that you wanted a home button, so with 6 face buttons, start, select, and home would be 9 buttons.

Also there's different kinds of joysticks and buttons, which differing resistances, colors, engage distances (all information that's available on slagcoin btw).

Also if you can use quick disconnects with your wires, it's a convenience.

Other than that, there are certain tools you may need to buy or borrow, like a soldering iron, screwdrivers (not sure what one for the PS3, sorry), and other woodworking tools.

Making your own stick is a lot of work :keke:.

Oh I know. I'm just talking about parts I need to order. I read the enitre Slagcoin guide already so I'm pretty much sticking to Sawna. My brothers going to help me when it comes to all the tools so I'm pretty much set there.

So yeah, 8 buttons, and I'm taking the home button from the pad most likely.

Sawna JLF Joystick

and the wires. That all I gotta order?

Keep in mind I'm making my own case out of MDF wood.

I don't know if you can use the home button from the controller... search around and see if it's been done already. Otherwise you might need an extra button (or give up the home button altogether).

Other than that I think you have the parts.

Don't forget some delicious art.

^_^

I'm probably going to gut my broken SE and make a PS2 stick out of it at some point, so this topic ended up being pretty useful

look into the toodles pcbs that are on lizardlick and other websites it is somewhat easier to dual mod with them and you can get ones that work on multiple systems. wiring is easier also because most of them have screw in terminals.

What exactly do you mean by dual mod? Like I'd be able to use it for Ps3 and my PC? Guilty Gear online with a fightstick then some MVC3 on my PS3 with the same one?! Haha.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Cthulu one that's on there? And you say it's substantially easier?

What exactly do you mean by dual mod? Like I'd be able to use it for Ps3 and my PC? Guilty Gear online with a fightstick then some MVC3 on my PS3 with the same one?! Haha.

Dual mod refers to two pcbs within the same stick yes. Usually means for Xbox 360 (because there isn't a replacement chip for this controller, you have to padhack a 360 controller) and PS3.

One of the chips that toodle has is one chip for PS3 and PC I believe. Check it out.

Alright. Quick question about the Sawna joystick. Does the JLF one come with the balltop? Or do I have to buy it seperate?

Totally getting a dope one if I can find it.

Alright. Quick question about the Sawna joystick. Does the JLF one come with the balltop? Or do I have to buy it seperate?

It should come with its own, my seimitsu stick came with one...

But you can buy a balltop separate.

if you're buying on lizardlick they don't come with balltops anymore, you have to buy them seperately.

Dual mod refers to two pcbs within the same stick yes. Usually means for Xbox 360 (because there isn't a replacement chip for this controller, you have to padhack a 360 controller) and PS3.

One of the chips that toodle has is one chip for PS3 and PC I believe. Check it out.

Toodles has the regular Cthulhu, which is a PS3/PC board, and the Multiconsole Cthulhu, which works with just about every console ever, except for Xbox 360. If you plan on having two controller boards in one stick, you'll need an Imp board, which Toodles also made. The Imp works like a switch between the two boards.

Toodles has the regular Cthulhu, which is a PS3/PC board, and the Multiconsole Cthulhu, which works with just about every console ever, except for Xbox 360. If you plan on having two controller boards in one stick, you'll need an Imp board, which Toodles also made. The Imp works like a switch between the two boards.

you don't need an imp, though it is an option. you can just use a switch and it works the same as an imp, it just doesn't switch automatically.

I'm just gonna get that Cthulu one that works with PC and PS3. That's the only one I really need.

But yeah, is there another reliable trusty site I can get parts from? Cause like I said lizardlick is sold out of Sanwa joysticks. :\

They restock at a good rate, if you really need it immediately, there's a JP store with good parts and prices that ships international I believe, prehaps someone else remembers the place.

Ah forget it then. I'll just start building the case and then get it when they restock. Thanks for all the helps guys. I'll report back here with the finished product.