mr.mortified

Q&A about Joystick Building, Parts, and Purchasing

hori real arcade pro sticks are good but go for about double that cheapo stick goes for. look on amazon for people reviews of the sticks so you can judge if the price difference is cool for you.

Actually, once you break that stick in, it doesn't feel so bad. However there is usually a 50/50 chance of it either a) feeling good or b) buttons and shit will break on you. I think I ended up explaining this somewhere on DL but I forgot. One real bad thing about that stick is the diagonals. They feel mushy after a long while. They're also not great to mod and take a ton of work to get it up to arcade standard.

Here is a picture of one that's been modded by me to go full sanwa and as close to a JLF as I could possibly make as the shaft goes down too deep and would result in too much of a mounting height for the balltop if a normal JLF was used rather than the preexisting assembly.

DSC06062.jpg

DSC06061.jpg

also an EX2 for that price is highway robbery and is only acceptable in canada

Any suggestions? At the moment I'm thinking about getting the BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Tournament Edition off Gamestop's online store. Are there any discounts going on for any other Arcade sticks, or are they're any better arcade sticks sold in stores so I dont have to wait for one to ship :eng101:. Thank you guys. Also one for the 360 preferably.

let me check, i think madcatz is having another TE sale

nope, that sale ended like 2 weeks ago

that BBCS TE is pretty good just get that

If you want a 360-only stick, any TE is a good TE. If you want PS3 support as well (for tournaments), the Q4RAF is a great deal at $150. Normally, a dual mod will run you $50-60 if you're doing it yourself and already have all the tools.

See http://www.focusattack.com/products/Qanba-Q4RAF-XB360-PS3-PC-Compatible-Joystick-PREORDER.html

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hori-Fighting-Stick-EX-2-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/7788961

Simple question, i just need some confirms from the pros ;):eng101:

I've been using this bad boy for about a month.

I was planning on buying a new controller because my d-pad was wearing out, and I decided to go for the extra $10 and try this one out. I have no complaints on it, definitely helps you get used to a stick. Buttons don't feel stiff to me at all.. maybe compared to the pro sticks but it's playable.. I would recommend it if you're on a budget and want to get into sticks, but that's just me.

ANYWAYS ON TO MY QUESTION,

Need a cheap stick for my PS3, was looking around amazon and saw these two

http://www.amazon.com/Arcade-Fighter-Playstation-3/dp/accessories/B002DRR6DM

http://www.amazon.com/PS2-PS3-PC-Universal-Fighting-Joystick/dp/B0015PHMFU/ref=dp_cp_ob_vg_title_1

Anybody played on them? Also don't compare them to pro stuff, just want cheap and workable for now.

Not sure because when I bought the Mayflash I modded it immediately. From what I've heard the stick is kind of loose. Buttons are crap imo. :/

Not sure because when I bought the Mayflash I modded it immediately. From what I've heard the stick is kind of loose. Buttons are crap imo. :/

Ah yeah that was a complaint in the reviews of it, one of the buttons stopped working

Ah yeah that was a complaint in the reviews of it, one of the buttons stopped working

Well if you need replacement buttons, I have like 6 extra. :P

I've only seen them in Gamestops in limited quantities. I think Best Buys might have some sometimes. Retailers almost always have them locked in at MSRP though, so you'll be paying 150$ for a TE or 80$ for an SE, and probably won't have any sticks other than Madcatz ones (although I've seen the Tekken 6 wireless stick in stores too, but that thing is really bad).

Hey where can i buy a fightstick in stores? Been looking for one for 2days now. Don't post "buy it online"

Extremely rare to see in stores. Go to those mom and pod video game stores and you might get lucky. But if no luck and you can not find it in a store, and you can not but it online; you might be able to get them to special order it at retailer. Really the best bet is to "buy it online".

If the reason you can't buy one online is that you don't have a credit card or something, and you've been looking around for 2 days, you might as well just go and find a place that sells Visa gift cards and get one of those and order a stick with that. It'll probably save you a ton of trouble.

splice one up yourself

its not hard

you'll definitely need a soldering iron for this job

this is also why you don't wrap your usb cable around your stick

splice one up yourself

its not hard

you'll definitely need a soldering iron for this job

this is also why you don't wrap your usb cable around your stick

Please tell me more, I take it from your response those cables aren't freely available.... its the 5 pin header thing im unsure about. Also not really confident at soldering which is why I bought a hrap for its quick release parts.

I don't wrap the cable up, my 2 year old son is to blame....

oh don't worry about that, its a generic usb,

follow a standard pinout and if you see 2 black wires, they're both ground. One of them is wire shielding, you only need one.

You can use any generic usb cable and just cut it open. the wire colors should match as per standard

sorry about not being specific there. Just make sure you don't connect both red and black wires together by mistake.

watch this video and it helps to learn about how and why to solder properly

here is one made more specific to arcade sticks, courtesy of SRKTT

Edited by mr.mortified

Hey, need some info about sticks. I want to start using stick because I wanna start playing GGAC+ on the PS2 (and the PS2 pad doesn't cut it, goddamn Mist Finer Cancelling is HARD), but I also want to use it with BB. Are there any sticks that can play on both PS2 and PS3?

There are multiple parts to an arcade stick, the part that determines the consoles you can use it for is the PCB (printed circuit board).

There are a few PCBs that support PS2 as well as PS3, most notably the MC Cthulhu (available at lizardlick)

While there are some arcade sticks that support PS2/3 out of the box (iirc the MC Cthulhu takes some assembly), they typically have poor parts, and some of the PCBs aren't desirable (the Mayflash arcade stick maps to analog stick, which isn't enabled by default).

There are converters for ps2 to ps3. Some custom pcbs are ps2 and ps3. I think i read somewhere it is best to get a ps2 stick and use converters to use on xbox 360s and ps3s.

There are converters for ps2 to ps3. Some custom pcbs are ps2 and ps3. I think i read somewhere it is best to get a ps2 stick and use converters to use on xbox 360s and ps3s.

Another good idea, just make sure your converters are lagless.

Hopefully will update this post in a few with a list.

EDIT:

Converter Compatibility Thread

Edited by M4g1c4lM4g1

Hey, need some info about sticks. I want to start using stick because I wanna start playing GGAC+ on the PS2 (and the PS2 pad doesn't cut it, goddamn Mist Finer Cancelling is HARD), but I also want to use it with BB. Are there any sticks that can play on both PS2 and PS3?

buy one from me

simplest solution

or use a ps2 stick with a converter, that works too

buy one from you?

What do you have?

I'm a modder and a customs builder. I have done many modifications and have helped many in the fighting game community regarding their equipment.

Should you want one, he can build you a custom.