mr.mortified

Q&A about Joystick Building, Parts, and Purchasing

Has any aftermarket PCBs come out that work with PS4?  I got 2 sticks that I feel will become quite useless soon =(. thx

No, Sony introduced a security authorization chipset with the PS4 that apparently needs to re-authenticate at regular intervals, which was why AkiShop saw initial success with the PS360+ but had to backtrack.

We'll have to resort to pad-hacking for a while it seems.

No, Sony introduced a security authorization chipset with the PS4 that apparently needs to re-authenticate at regular intervals, which was why AkiShop saw initial success with the PS360+ but had to backtrack.

We'll have to resort to pad-hacking for a while it seems.

By pad-hacking do you mean pulling the PCB out of a DS4 and using that inside an arcade stick?

Correct, or any other official ps4 pcb that is suitable. 

Here's something for the more creatively-inclined:

I have an idea to make a padstick, i.e. an arcade stick with a d-pad. I like the PS1 pad so I'm planning to work with this as a base. I'm thinking the easiest mod would be to remove the default joystick and put a clamp of some sort in its place, and use said clamp to secure the pad to the stick so it's not all loose (it's hard to use a d-pad with only one hand). The rest could be handled with a standard PS2 > PS3/360 converter that takes input from both devices, I've done it before.

So the question is how to get that clamp. I'm thinking that to easily fit in the case, it needs to have a base that generally matches a generic joystick base (i.e. Sanwa, Hori, or Madcatz stock) with a clamp that comes out through the opening for the joystick and which can be slide- or screw-adjusted to tighten properly around the pad. It'd most likely have to be a custom 3D print job since I doubt I can just go to the store and buy a working clamp for this purpose, but I have no idea where to even start on 3d printing work.

Suggestions are appreciated. I'm willing to pay for expert work on this if it comes to that.

Something like that, yeah, but probably slightly less involved.

To be honest I could probably just duct tape my pad to the joystick itself or something, but that might be a little bit too ghetto.

B15SDM has done that sort of thing using a Dualshock 2 pad too (and of course it's B15SDM classy):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.642355845781815.1073741831.474052909278777&type=1

It's definitely possible, but you'd need to do some kind of case work to really make it come out nice.

On a side note, anyone that ordered the Japanese Guilty Gear Xrd LE, that fight pad that comes with has an excellent, easily pad-hacked PCB that could be used to wire up a PS4 compatible stick.

ggxrd_le_fightpad_pcb.png

My, just seeing that picture hurts my feelings, man :(

BTW, a kinda weird question: what black magic do manufacturers do for the silent buttons? My V4 Hayabusa arrived some minutes ago and I did notice the buttons were VERY quiet, without losing any sensibility (the X button was a bit "stuck" though, but it got fixed as soon as I started using and pressing it).

Oh did you order the HRAP V4 Silent?  The "magic" is a little foam pad that is inserted in the bottom of the case so that when you press the plunger down it doesn't smack into the bottom.  You can check out Focus Attack's silencer pads for Sanwas for good reference since they look exactly like the ones used for the Kuro pads: http://www.focusattack.com/silencer-sanwa-seimitsu-30mm-foam-washers-8-pak/

If you did get a HRAPv4 Silent I'm curious how you like the Hayabusa silent lever.  I'm not much of an optical fan but I thought the spring was way too weak.  If you can put a 2lb JLF spring in there instead I think it really improved the feel.

More responsive I guess and tighter.  which has me leaning towards seimitsu.  I've heard nothing but great things about both brands which is why i ask.  I've read about the Seimitsu having less dead space.  I dont know about the Hori.

Switches used, pivot cup, length of shaft, strength of spring.

Hayabusa has a pivot cup that is designed to minimize contact with the receiver to create a smoother motion compared to the pivots used in a JLF or Seimitsu.

The LS56 is a favorite among shmups fans for it's stiff spring and small dead zone.  The -01 means it uses a PCB with a 5 prong connector rather than individual switches.

You really won't know if a level will suit you or not until you try it and most people's descriptions will not be sufficient to explain the differences because they are subjective and effectively a question of preference that you won't know the answer to until you actually try the levers out yourself.

so i bought a stick part (an actual stick). and the metal part that goes into the actual stick is messed up. the top 2 prongs are out of place. if i move them will it still work right. it won't fit in the slot at all. here is a picture. it also looked worse than in this picture.

https://twitter.com/Whitedeath_9999/status/595304892551528448

Sorry to trouble you all, I'm not one to play stick but I have just obtained one. That being the BBCPE stick by Hori and the problem I have is not the stick itself but the fact I can't find the Bonus Code that was included with it. Just thought someone here might be able to help me lol.

It's my first Stick but I'm not worried about types of these things right now. Mostly got it for BB collection purposes as I've always played with Pad generally. Apologies for the inconvenience bringing up where to find such an issue as to trying to find a code may be but I'm lost haha.

EDIT: Think I've found it now, no worries.

So im looking into changing my happ super for a seimitsu LS-56, but since my case is made of wood and i got a bottom mounting like this, and i cant really modify it right now, to make it work im going to need a flat converter to put the seimitsu in place.

Am i on the right track with this? or am i going to need a different converter and/or additional parts to make it work? or is there another japanese stick similar to the LS-56 that i could put "as if"? im sorta new to japanese sticks and i dont wanna buy something just to realize i need something else, or something completely different to make things work.

Has anyone tried to padhack a Hori Fighting Commander 4 pad or the PDP MKX pad to get the PCB for a stick mod to get it to work on PS4?  Is it easier to sodder than the DS4?  I read the DS4 is hard to sodder due to the small size of the board connections.