mr.mortified

Q&A about Joystick Building, Parts, and Purchasing

It's too late, I already got it. I'm really not interested in modding. I honestly do have better things to do with my life. Also, I need a stick quickly since It's ultimate clash next weekend, haven't the time to mod test and practice.

Edited by Manta

It's too late, I already got it. I'm really not interested in modding. I honestly do have better things to do with my life. Also, I need a stick quickly since It's ultimate clash next weekend, haven't the time to mod test and practice.

:(

Hey, just sayin'. I could've easily said "I don't like to spend hours painting WH0k models, I have better things to do" or a million other variants.

Not particularly, but I do feel like we're derailing things here.

let me take some pictures, i'll have them up again tmr

working on building

3 customs

1 dual mod

2 LED mods

all while holding about 3 jobs with me working about 5-7 days a week

modding is expensive you know

:kitty:

Erm, how much do you believe it will cost to Dual Mod a xbox 360 Madcatz TE stick, including all the tools needed too do so?

Wanna' start hitting up some BB on PS3. Converting $ into £ isn't a problem.

http://www.phreakmods.com/products/teasy-mod

all you need is a screwdriver, it's really really easy

that is if phreak is ever in stock with them

alternatively you can use this board instead

http://www.lizardlick.com/Toodles-TE-Kitty-Kit_p_630.html

install docs are in srk

Not sure if anyone here might know, figured I'd give a shot since SRK is down: I currently use MadCatz SE 360 sticks(the WWE ones) with the parts swapped out to JLF/OBSF30's, I'd like to be able to use them on PS3 as well but everything I can find regarding dualmodding is for TEs. Does anyone know if any of the solderless PCBs like Cthulu/Kitty/TEasy are workable with the SE case? I'd really like to avoid getting beaten down by my g/f for buying a TE if I can. :gonk:

Got my really stupid question of the day (I try to keep myself to one) here:

Okay, so pretend I get and install a kitty board, as referenced above, which purports to "Add support for all consoles supported by MC Cthulhu (PS3, Xbox1, PS2/PSX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, SNES, NES, TG-16, others)." Sounds awesome. I have a Saturn, a Dreamcast, a PS2, blahblah, fighting games stuff. <pause> So how do I plug it in, since out of those systems only the PS2 even has a USB port? Is there a fancy cable adapter I need? Some grotesque hydra thing? How does this actually WORK?

Not sure if anyone here might know, figured I'd give a shot since SRK is down: I currently use MadCatz SE 360 sticks(the WWE ones) with the parts swapped out to JLF/OBSF30's, I'd like to be able to use them on PS3 as well but everything I can find regarding dualmodding is for TEs. Does anyone know if any of the solderless PCBs like Cthulu/Kitty/TEasy are workable with the SE case? I'd really like to avoid getting beaten down by my g/f for buying a TE if I can. :gonk:

the parts inside an SE are the same as the ones inside a TE. the only difference is the inside of an SE is smaller than the inside of a TE. there should be enough space for most mods inside an SE

Okay, so pretend I get and install a kitty board, as referenced above, which purports to "Add support for all consoles supported by MC Cthulhu (PS3, Xbox1, PS2/PSX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, SNES, NES, TG-16, others)." Sounds awesome. I have a Saturn, a Dreamcast, a PS2, blahblah, fighting games stuff. <pause> So how do I plug it in, since out of those systems only the PS2 even has a USB port? Is there a fancy cable adapter I need? Some grotesque hydra thing? How does this actually WORK?

you have to take a controller for the system in question, snip off the end that goes into the controller (not the end that plugs into the console) and put the individual wires into an ethernet ender. USB is easiest to do, whereas a controller like a PS2 is slightly more complex.

this is easier to understand when you see pictures and i have a guide i would send you but alas SRK is down.

SRK is back up, or was a few minutes ago, actually.

So basically it involves cannibalizing a controller for the cable. Would it work to just use an extension cable instead? (As the sacrificial cable, that is.)

SRK is back up, or was a few minutes ago, actually.

So basically it involves cannibalizing a controller for the cable. Would it work to just use an extension cable instead? (As the sacrificial cable, that is.)

anything that connects a controller to the console in question would work. i've used those xbox 360 charging cables that you plug in the play n charge kits as an all-around usb cable and it worked just fine.

the parts inside an SE are the same as the ones inside a TE. the only difference is the inside of an SE is smaller than the inside of a TE. there should be enough space for most mods inside an SE

Thanks, going to try out a TEasy Strike then. My first ever tournament experience was brutal as I only own a 360 stick and BB ended up being on PS3s that day, not aiming to go out like that again!

You're going to have to cannibalize any ps2/ps1 controller, get yourself your RJ45 crimper and then just align the wires that you need according to the pins and.....

Just get some modder (me) to do it for you.....

Incidentally I'm doing an rj45 mod right now and have to make a ps2 cable work.

If you're going to do this for other consoles, recreate the same method with a different controller cable

I'll take some pictures if you want to recreate it.

cake thanks for taking care of the thread while I'm srk :3

uploading some photos of making a ps2 rj45 cable now

bare minimum tools,

rj45 crimper, ps2 extension cable, neutrik boot rj45 end, wire cutter/stripper and either a)multimeter or b) needle/flat nosed pliers

DSC06494.jpg

cut off the end of your cable

DSC06496.jpg

strip off the end

DSC06497.jpg

see these pins?

DSC06499.jpg

they have to align specifically to certain points on your rj45 to connect to your cthulhu/kitty board

Identify-Locations.jpg

Step-1-Get-to-know-your-cable.jpg

PSX Pin Purpose RJ45 Pin Cthulhu Column

4 Ground 1 G

7 CLK 2 A

2 CMD 3 B

1 DATA 4 C

6 ATT 5 D

9 ACK 7 F

5 VCC 8 V

identify which wires you need using the other half of your extension cable either by stipping the wires, using your multimeter and figuring out which wire connects to which pin (long and tedious)

or use your pliers, hammers or stuff and break that shit open and see that way (fun mr.mortified approved way)

DSC06501.jpg

align your pins out

DSC06502.jpg

insert in crimper and check again before crimping

DSC06503.jpg

crimp down and assess

DSC06504.jpg

plug in, test and enjoy!

DSC06505.jpg

sources:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Install-a-Playstation-cable-onto-a-Multi-Co/#step1

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/rj-45-multi-console-cthulhu-arcade-stick-tutorial-ver-2.100475/#post-4157647

Edited by mr.mortified

so, i have a damaged cord on my madcatz tournament edition fightstick, what steps would i go for replacing the cord? ive googled, and i can't find any guides specifically for the tournament edition

so, i have a damaged cord on my madcatz tournament edition fightstick, what steps would i go for replacing the cord? ive googled, and i can't find any guides specifically for the tournament edition

splice it

If you have a soldering iron, cut the usb wire and remove the damaged part.

Then cut the outer plastic to reveal the 4 wires and the wire shielding.

Proceed to strip the wires bare and connect both sides together afterwards using electrical tape to close them up and insulate the signals once again

I've literally never done anything involving wiring and whatnot past swapping out my joystick/buttons, I know that the TEasy Strike is solderless but I'm assuming that there's still a tool or two I'd need, can anyone tell me what all I should snag at the hardware store?