Sign in to follow this  
Kasou

the chipp blog thread

Let's look at some basic stats for this matchup:

CHvsJA

Abare - Jam wins hands down. If any random attack connects on Chipp then he's losing a TON of life without the use of tension whereas if Chipp randomly hits Jam, then the damage varies from "absolute shit" to "moderate" depending on tension.

Ground Game - Jam still wins because although Chipp's 5K can beat all of her high/mid attacks, he doesn't get near as much damage potential. Abare plays a big role in this.

true. while i like to use 5k to gatling into 2d for knockdown, forgot crossing her up EVER. try superjump left/right okizeme, it's pointless :( she either autoblocks or parries, nice option select. i hate that bitch.

Air Game - Jam wins hands down because air to air, her j.S/HS beat all of Chipp's jump-ins. Even though it's unsafe for her to jump against chipp, the threat of 5P,2H,6P,DP isn't enough to stop her from jumping while the threat of corner airthrow into 6H loop, j.S/HS, 2H has the damage potential to keep chipp from jumping at all.

this is more of an anti air thing, but if i expect an air dash (i guess), i sometimes jump up or upforward with j.p and buffer a j.D. if i miss, i can still move around, if i hit i got knockdown.

Offense - You kidding me? Jam can raise the guardbar to flashing in 2 seconds!!! Chipp's offense is certainly good, but if he makes one mistake (which will most certainly happen if you're a human) then it's over. Jam wins hands down.

not much to add to that. for defense, learn to slashback 6hs if the jam uses it in a predictable fashion - while jams tend do go for 5hs, 6hs, this is not their only option, better jams go for kicks after that etc.

Defense - Jam can turtle her ass off or rush YOUR SHIT DOWN!! Plus Chipp's life leaves him a lot quicker generally and inevitably (when you get tapped by a 2K or thrown). Jam wins.......

from full screen distance, it's not that easy for jam to get close in a non-predictable manner. if she uses step, she gets vulnerable to jump / gamma, if she air dashes from too far away she can be air thrown / j.Ped etc.

This kind of encourages the ground movement, which is good for chipp in a way.

once she's in your face (or, lets say, almost out of 2D distance) things become hairy.

Chipp vs Jam looks hopeless for him on paper but like all bad matchups, it's winnable. Just gotta play smart and very patient.

i agree, patience is the key, especially when you have the chance for okizeme. you have to be extremely careful vs. parry, and very patient when she is in your face pinning you.

other things:

some chipps swear on 6hs vs. jam, especially if she air dashes. while this can actually work well, i doubt this is something to do on reaction, more out of anticipation - which is quite dangerous, given how long the move takes to recover. still, it's an option.

edit: about parrying the 236s after the 2D:

what worked for me against people that can slashback 236s after 2D was an alpha. the timing is different and will actually hit them later. however, i did not try this out vs. jam's parry yet.

edit: about parrying the 236s after the 2D:

what worked for me against people that can slashback 236s after 2D was an alpha. the timing is different and will actually hit them later. however, i did not try this out vs. jam's parry yet.

Heck you can just do a teleport after 2D to throw the opponent off. IMO I doubt people can parry/SB 2D>236S on reaction. If that happens frequently you gotta definitely change up your game.

Heck you can just do a teleport after 2D to throw the opponent off. IMO I doubt people can parry/SB 2D>236S on reaction. If that happens frequently you gotta definitely change up your game.

that's why i suggested alpha. of course, you can teleport, but if they slashback, 2p or something, they could whiff slashback, 2p and hit you (or they would still have time to block / air throw you if you do 22d/22hs). thats speculation though. i just know alpha works fine.

If jam IB's 2D, then she can just tap 6 and parry the 236S on reaction. The first match I ever played Doren2k, he did just that.

Played my first tourney hosted by the local club. Didn't do too badly altogether, all things considering - most of my matches were just lost off a clear skill difference, including an awful round against Teyah where I discovered how fun trying to get out of Eddie's pressure can be. (He really *is* the only Eddie player around here =/) I had a truly awful time against Baiken and Anji, though. Baiken pretty much alpha countered every 6p in my chains, and trying to get around Anji's hitbox and guardstun with my regular offensive tactics just didn't work. I also had several matches against an Order Sol player which I should have won, but somehow kept eating vipers and gunblazes. Any specific advice for these matchups (and I guess to some extent regular Sol as well), besides 'bait, noob"? =D

Played my first tourney hosted by the local club. Didn't do too badly altogether, all things considering - most of my matches were just lost off a clear skill difference, including an awful round against Teyah where I discovered how fun trying to get out of Eddie's pressure can be. (He really *is* the only Eddie player around here =/)

I had a truly awful time against Baiken and Anji, though. Baiken pretty much alpha countered every 6p in my chains, and trying to get around Anji's hitbox and guardstun with my regular offensive tactics just didn't work.

I also had several matches against an Order Sol player which I should have won, but somehow kept eating vipers and gunblazes.

Any specific advice for these matchups (and I guess to some extent regular Sol as well), besides 'bait, noob"? =D

chipp v zato/eddie

rush rush rush rush rush rush rush! dont let eddie breathe a single second! if u grant him quarter u will end up getting on the defensive and thats not good. c.5s is ur best friend along side 2s and 6k. use a good deal of dust teleports and frc hs teleports to keep him on his toes. and most importantly keep ur movement strong. 2nd most important thing is to keep a quick dirk handy so if u need to get rid of the eddie or make zato block to eliminate eddie then proceed wit the rush. 2d all long range whiffs and fdc to ur hearts content cuz zato has no reversal attack.

chipp v baiken

jump cancel all ur pokes! all of ur standing normals are jump cancelable so abuse it to bait counters. trip jump alot but watch for baiken j.s as its a great poke vs ur air normals even chipp j.d. baiken j.s is hard to AA with 6p at times so either air throw as AA or beta it. *if ur feeling spicy tiger knee beta blade for a CH, land and combo!* in this match u can leaf grab a bit to bait the counters, also keep ur chains to a minimum of 2-3 attacks and bait as much as possible. chipp v baiken in the dmg dept is about the same, both need corners to REALLY dish out the dmg although chipp doesnt REALLY overall need it since the mid screen guessing game is more scarier than in the corner.

chipp v anji

auto gaurd is a pain but this isnt slash so u can attack like usual. fuujin HS and FB follow ups get beaten by lows so if u see it, react to it with 2k and get the KD. actually, all his follow ups save for the jump are all punishable in some way. anji has a hard time dealing with c.5s pressure so abuse it, be aware that anji's alpha counter/dead angle is really good and will KD on CH so be careful. on wake up if u see a butterfly, just defend and either backdash or jump FD. both are good choices to escape the trap..in slash u couldnt fight anji like an ordinary character but AC u can so like all matches, strong movement and whiff punishment.

chipp v sol

ahh my favorite match up next to zato/eddie. chipp has answers to all of sol's attacks i'll give a break down below:

bandit

-bringer = air throw, CH j.d, j.k, j.p, beta, 6p *timing specific*, any teleport cept s. teleport

-revolver = air throw *difficulty is high*, CH 6p, any teleport

riot stomp

-6p, 6hs it all day

-on just defence, go into 2s immediately. this will beat wutever normal sol will attempt

gunflame

-beta *timing specific and distance dependent*, any teleport cept p or s

- dust teleport, frc dropping dust for CH

pokes to use

1. 2s

pros

-beats sol 2d clean

-anti jump in the corner, follow up to 2s, 5hs, FB if he tries to jump from corner trapping

-in some ways its better than c.5s, rekka trap

cons

-whiffing

2. 2d

pros

-has a bit of invul midway thru

-excellent punisher

-overall chipp's greatest poke

cons

-other than whiffing...nothing. heck u can bait to an air throw with this poke at the right distance!!

3. 5k

pros

-fast

-snuffs sol's pokes at the right space

-cancelable to 2d, making KDs easier

cons

-not that bad of a poke even on whiff, has pretty decent recovery

4. 2hs

pros

-beats sol j.hs for CH

-makes for a good AA option

-use great when teleport mixups are concerned, if he jumps and goes for j.hs u will most likely get a CH in there

cons

-yes, WHIFFING!

-mistiming

overall sol v chipp IMO is 6-4 chipp since he has high punishment factor which really can be summed up to his speed being the major deciding factor in this match. yes, "bait noob" is the most common thing u may hear but its really true, this is a match of baiting. keep ur eyes on the meters and watch for the VV to RCs. honestly thats roughly it to be quite frank, u have all the tools u could ever need to deal with this char so its jus a matter of not getting hit as much to win it. like i say at the end of all of these things...MOVEMENT IS ALWAYS KEY!

chipp v order sol

watch for 2s, 6hs and ur fine. gunblaze can mess up fdc's but u'll endup blocking it at most since ur gonna land more than likely before the pillar rises. keep ur distance, and watch for jump hs. block it and ur good cuz u dont wanna get CH! if he get predictable then beta him...he starts to jump in block, then u air throw. lv 1 revolvers can be thrown on hit or block, so if he's not jumping after it then throw him, if u anticipate a jump then beta immediately since it will catch him on the startup of the jump animation. dmg dept isnt quite in ur favor so watch for FB's cuz they will leave u floating in ur tracks on CH. overall best advice is to bait like normal sol, jump around a bit and punish.

hope this helps...kensou out...

chipp v zato/eddie

c.5s is ur best friend along side 2s and 6k.

5k you mean? it beats eddies 2s, which is pretty powerful (long range & combos into far drill on CH = knockdown = oh SHIT)

chipp v baiken

jump cancel all ur pokes! all of ur standing normals are jump cancelable so abuse it to bait counters.

while jump cancels can be nice to avoid getting hit (when you confirm that baiken actually blocked and did not get hit after your attack move), i use them sparingly - even if her counter whiffs and she jumps, she usually has enough time to act again before you could hit her. exception of course if you iad or sbc drop, etc.

empty throw can be very useful against baiken - knockdown, dash, 1+FD (so you slide forward crouching), 6+S+HS, susumu style.

chipp v sol

ahh my favorite match up next to zato/eddie. chipp has answers to all of sol's attacks i'll give a break down below:

bandit

-bringer = air throw, CH j.d, j.k, j.p, beta, 6p *timing specific*, any teleport cept s. teleport

-revolver = air throw *difficulty is high*, CH 6p, any teleport

i slashback bringer & revolver on reaction - you can do pretty much everything after it, especially after bringer. you can actually instant block bringer & punish vs. crouching sol with a close S, but it is very tight (1-2f), and you need a certain spacing for it.

pokes to use

4. 2hs

pros

-beats sol j.hs for CH

-makes for a good AA option

-use great when teleport mixups are concerned, if he jumps and goes for j.hs u will most likely get a CH in there

cons

-yes, WHIFFING!

-mistiming

very true - 2hs is a wonderful move that gets neglected a lot. also works wonders vs. HOS (vs. jumpins) and other hard to AA chars.

Thanks for the awesome response guys :) We have no local Eddie/Baiken, but our local Sol/HOS is insane, so I'll get lots of practice with this matchup. I've definitely been neglecting 2hs (and 2s); I'll start working on those. Cheers!

5k you mean? it beats eddies 2s, which is pretty powerful (long range & combos into far drill on CH = knockdown = oh SHIT)

actually both 5/6k beat that poke, back in XX 6k was the shizzle vs that poke. but yea both are good, 5k is jus quicker overall tho so its a better option indeed.

while jump cancels can be nice to avoid getting hit (when you confirm that baiken actually blocked and did not get hit after your attack move), i use them sparingly - even if her counter whiffs and she jumps, she usually has enough time to act again before you could hit her. exception of course if you iad or sbc drop, etc.

empty throw can be very useful against baiken - knockdown, dash, 1+FD (so you slide forward crouching), 6+S+HS, susumu style.

how could i forget to mention throws lol!! yea thas most definitely a good way to approach it safely with the option selecting.

hmm i still think even on hit jump canceling isnt a bad idea...bait the burst and wut not. *theory fighter!* thing is, i think vs baiken u want to bait counters as much as possible to punish them. i think thats where alot of major dmg can come from since theres a high chance for a CH.

i slashback bringer & revolver on reaction - you can do pretty much everything after it, especially after bringer. you can actually instant block bringer & punish vs. crouching sol with a close S, but it is very tight (1-2f), and you need a certain spacing for it.

very true - 2hs is a wonderful move that gets neglected a lot. also works wonders vs. HOS (vs. jumpins) and other hard to AA chars.

i think if u can react to revolver u should 6p, CH, 6hs. better to get the CH dmg as opposed to the slashback....unless...u get a CH anyway? if so then i guess why not, its jus whiffing a slashback on crouch vs that move in general is bad news. i've watched many good sol players get massive dmg from that and if ur playing against a sol that DOESNT miss combos ur gonna eat it.

as for bringer, thas interesting on the just defend although strict timing. its good to kno ur options.

just came home from stockholm showdown and i'm really tired. To all my fellow european chipp players - i had an excellent time with you guys. The whole elite was there, the best casuals were played and the best strategies exchanged - like we should in one big family. Special thx to Tsiisus, I had a lot of fun with you, man - you're the chipp veteran of the english speaking (read: non-japanese) world after all.

faust matchup thread now open for business - tell us about your experiences and your educated opinion. in other news, i completed all the clips for my combovid, and hopefully i'll complete the editing soon (although i have no idea how to do that). i started recording everytime i was at xenophobians place once accent core came out, which means i only had limited time and usually improvised stuff when we didn't play any matches. Some of the combos will be mind blowing, but most will look very ordinary to non-chipp players, and probably not that new or clever anymore (too much time passed since release). to spice things up, i'll add some clips from bad ninja movies in between the combos :) ATG - Exploiting the East - Coming soon.

tsiisus knowledge of details and matchup specific stuff is unrivaled imo. he knew immediately when stuff i did was unsafe, unlike everyone else, lol. that being said, he was rusty i guess - living in finland is probably not the best place to find lots of competition :( then again, there are prodigies like lazze... ;)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZPOQXUYB

my chipp tutorial, pretty much basic things u should kno. enjoy

sidenote: i didnt put a combo section in this video due to there being a bajillion other chipp combo movies out there in which chipp players can learn from. my intent is to give chipp players a general foundation in which to learn from because, i believe any1 can learn how to hit a combo but not knowing the foundations/basics that will allow u to hit these combos will hinder growth as a player. keeping it basic takes ya far believe me lol. anyway, youtube version coming soon.

1 word I can say...AWESOME! Great kudos to both ATG and Kensou for providing such informative and fun combo videos. Really help me to refresh the missing pieces of knowledge on Chipp. I believe the Chipp community appreciate your efforts. Kensou: Just a question regarding your cv, what is the difference in having j.k or j.hs during the IAD backwards? I only tried j.k as it is fast enough for me to block or react. Cheers.

Kensou: Just a question regarding your cv, what is the difference in having j.k or j.hs during the IAD backwards? I only tried j.k as it is fast enough for me to block or react.

Cheers.

i'm not quite sure that i follow, wut exactly do u mean?

Apologies if I did not make myself clear. During the Movement section from 0:48 onwards, Chipp kept doing j.hs while IAD backwards or jumping backwards. I only did j.k instead of j.hs during my chipp's movements. I can block or double jump once chipp recover from his j.k in case if the opponent chase after him or did super from distance (eg. slayer's DoT) but j.hs takes too long to recover to react to such situations. I'm curious what advantages did j.hs have over j.k during such movements? Looking forward to your reply. Kudos.

ya pretty much wut atg said. -its kinda one of those things that the enemy will run into when ur moving backwards and such. same can be applied to j.D to fish for CH or just for a regular KD. i jus do that out of habit honestly lol, u can also use j.K for the reasons u mentioned above. the 2nd hit of j.K will knock the enemy down if they try to jump at u while running underneath u. so both have pretty decent advantages.

Quick question here, I'm having a bit of trouble against back dashing Potemkins after I knock them down. On wake up I go for FDC j.HS and some Potemkins I play against back dash on wake-up and then go for PB. Now I know that alpha blade is throw invincible but I also know that if I put out a limb when Potemkin comes out of the back dash and the limb is still active then I can get a free hit on him before he can PB as it has start up. What I'd like to know is what people suggest I should use to tag Pot with? 5HS? 5K? 2D? 5HS seems the most sensible due to it's active time (as I remember it has a long active period although I could be wrong) but I'm just mis-timng it alot and so I resort to guessing and air dashing back into Pot to hit him with a late j.HS. The problem with the air dash back into Potemkin is that ANY limb will beat out Chipp as I’m still in air dash animation so I want to be able to land and do things properly instead of guessing and increasing the chances of me getting hit. Also, what do you suggest is the best way to try this out in practice mode with the dummy set-up? Thanks again people.

Quick question here, I'm having a bit of trouble against back dashing Potemkins after I knock them down. On wake up I go for FDC j.HS and some Potemkins I play against back dash on wake-up and then go for PB. Now I know that alpha blade is throw invincible but I also know that if I put out a limb when Potemkin comes out of the back dash and the limb is still active then I can get a free hit on him before he can PB as it has start up. What I'd like to know is what people suggest I should use to tag Pot with? 5HS? 5K? 2D? 5HS seems the most sensible due to it's active time (as I remember it has a long active period although I could be wrong) but I'm just mis-timng it alot and so I resort to guessing and air dashing back into Pot to hit him with a late j.HS. The problem with the air dash back into Potemkin is that ANY limb will beat out Chipp as I’m still in air dash animation so I want to be able to land and do things properly instead of guessing and increasing the chances of me getting hit.

Also, what do you suggest is the best way to try this out in practice mode with the dummy set-up?

Thanks again people.

things that i do:

A] fake the fdc and double jump

-allows u to double check for the back step and punish or escape if u think sumfin may go wrong

B] land and mash 5p, or stay on the ground and forget fdc mash 5p

-since u can mash it 1 of them is literally bound to hit and u can combo from there

how to practice it:

-back step and mash back throw for the recording dummy

-go for ur usual setup and start up the dummy playback for the back step and figure out the ways to punish from there

Sign in to follow this