Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BladeOfJustice7

Montreal: Le Thread Generale Pour Weeaboo Fighters

I'm not mad actually, just sad. This kind of ruins my night to be honest

I feel like posting a wall of text, and there's a lot that could be argued on the matter... but I'm just going to say this :

Singles has always been the main event and teams was that just for fun thing we did on day two. It sure sucks if the main event is treated as "just for fun", but just imagine if teams were treated as a serious thing as well. (I literally mean imagine the cooperation throughout the preparation and the event)

alright then, i'll have to hype everyone unhype about teams. be there thursday and we'll talk about why we should take teams seriously :D

I just don't belong in the whole team work thing, and also how teams also implies being selected out and fully based on favoritism. And that won't change no matter the wall of text written.

@Brice et Pedro :

Ca marchera pas avec moi though. J'essaie vrm pas de faire du chantage ou mon drama queen mais ce genre de nouvelle me turn off au max, assez pour me faire drop le jeu complètement. Not having NEC to look forward to? Man... Et sachez que ça me briserait le coeur d'arrêter de jouer à BB.

Had a similar reaction when I learned the dates for NEC. The previous week I could have been guaranteed, but as it is I really doubt I can make it.

anyways, work load isn't too rough this week, I might be able to make it tomorrow (Tuesday), was anyone planning on showing up? I'd only arrive at like 8:30 pm.

I definitely sympathize with kirbster here. Teams are cool and funhype, but one of the big draws of fighting games, for me, is relying entirely on myself. When it's serious time, I want singles.

I very quickly skimmed the comments here, but seems to me singles should be the main event. I'm all for teams, but they shouldn't replace singles.

I'll post my reasoning later if necessary.

Singles > Teams for me as well, even though I certainly won't be going to NEC : P

It's like Smash's Ironmans, they're always the hypest thing, but no one in their right mind would make them anything but side events / money matches.

Been doing non-stop OT the last week and it looks like today is going to be that, too :C I'll bring my fite back to Foonzo as soon as things settle back down.

Why anonymity. It's not like we are voting for a President.

The scale of the decision isn't what makes anonymity important. Anonymity allows people to make honest decisions without the fear of being lynched by people who don't share the same point of view. @daiandoh1

I very quickly skimmed the comments here, but seems to me singles should be the main event. I'm all for teams, but they shouldn't replace singles.

I'll post my reasoning later if necessary.

Reasoning would be appreciated actually. I don't understand why skilled players would care either way. I'm seeing a lot of "but it wouldn't be hype" but not a lot of reasons.

For unskilled players like me, the choice is obvious : even if you lose 2 matches, it doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get more matches. What's the downside for people who think they stand a chance against everyone? Bad teammates? The performance of your team doesn't affect your own performance. Your team can't lose if you don't lose. If anything, bad teammates mean that you get to play more matches. Not as much money is a valid complaint I suppose.

Reasoning would be appreciated actually. I don't understand why skilled players would care either way. I'm seeing a lot of "but it wouldn't be hype" but not a lot of reasons.

For unskilled players like me, the choice is obvious : even if you lose 2 matches, it doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get more matches. What's the downside for people who think they stand a chance against everyone? Bad teammates? The performance of your team doesn't affect your own performance. Your team can't lose if you don't lose. If anything, bad teammates mean that you get to play more matches. Not as much money is a valid complaint I suppose.

lol what? Best out of three singles gives you up to three matches to adapt to your opponent. With pokemon style teams, it's easy to fraud out someone with gimmicks they've never experienced. Then again this could play to my advantage if I team up with Brice (lol Tager) but it's still nowhere near as legit as bo3 singles.

lol what? Best out of three singles gives you up to three matches to adapt to your opponent. With pokemon style teams, it's easy to fraud out someone with gimmicks they've never experienced. Then again this could play to my advantage if I team up with Brice (lol Tager) but it's still nowhere near as legit as bo3 singles.

Last pokemon teams I participated in was best 2 out of 3 for each player that played. If it were like that would you still have a problem with it?

Last pokemon teams I participated in was best 2 out of 3 for each player that played. If it were like that would you still have a problem with it?

I'd be much more okay with it. That won't be the case at NEC though, unfortunately, with the amount of players going it would take way too much time.

St1ckbug said that finals might be bo3 but since it would be on sp00ky's stream it might be too long.

https://twitter.com/LordKnightBB/status/377091878921207809

https://twitter.com/LordKnightBB/status/377093312165199873

https://twitter.com/LordKnightBB/status/377093540377272320

https://twitter.com/LordKnightBB/status/377093700054446080

https://twitter.com/LordKnightBB/status/377093958738141184

LK summed up some stuff a little while back. It doesn't cover the team format, but still showcases how he format affects your gameplan and capacity to play a different way. In a teams format, you have one round against every other opponent you'll face. You don't play like you play a 2of3 or a grand finals set. If you like what 2of3 brings, teams may or may not be as appealing.

Personally, I like watching teams, Kirb, Brice and Kaeru as a team would be GODLIKE! But then again, I'm not competing, so factors like making a plan of action and others (I heard an expenses comment) would affect the players greatly, so if the players choose singles, I wouldn't complain

Teams are a fun and great change of pace, for tournament format.

The next big question, however..

Does Montreal pool together to create a super team? do we decide teams randomly? or just let people clump together on their own?

Teams are great, popularity contests are not. Thankfully, we don't usually have that problem under normal circumstances.

Montreal <3

Well... I'm not talking about a popularity contest, but if it ends up being teams I definitely want to win, so I want the strongest teammates possible.

You also might want to consider matchups. Brice&kirb team would want their 3rd to maybe at least have an even matchup with nu and litchi...

So for tonight it's just me and sam so far..?