Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShinBlanka

FINAL ROUND XV March 2-4, 2012 "The 15th Aniversary"

Crap, I was halfway through writing these out yesterday but I must've killed the page by accident.

Anyway, FR was amazing, it was really cool going to my first major, hanging out with people I do and don't know, and playing some great games.

Shout outs to everyone who made it possible, it was a great event.

Shout outs to Eshi for housing us, and giving us the chance to practice before the event, and for having a really solid Makoto who would destroy me if we ever had some casuals.

Shout outs to Milln, my hero, the man who jumped on a grenade for us, drove us, and cheats like a sonofagun in Munchkin. You have my respect good sir.

Shout outs to Papstr for being the worst seat-saver ever, scientifically proven with magnets. And for being too fuggin' picky at money matches, and for being a chill dude who helped make the trip great.

Shout outs to sexually harass Midnight weekend, because it's deeply ingrained in the fighting game community. And for you know, Middy himself for being a cool dude that's fun to hang out with and give a hard time to for never practicing. You helped make the trip awesome too.

Shout outs to car songs and bedtime stories, because they never get old.

Shout outs to Skeletal Minion and Bears Are Scary, it was cool meeting you guys (again for Bears) and getting bodied in casuals. Good games, and hope to hang out some other time.

Shout outs to everyone in GG, it was really cool watching you guys and playing a little bit, which has only made me want learn the game more. Also, the grand finals were absolutely amazing, Steve H and Kusoru deserve all kinds of respect.

Shout outs to St1ckBuG for being the only person to ever apologize for winning, I laughed, and you won fair and square, good games man.

Shout outs to Blue Link, it was cool meeting you in the hotel pre-tournament, the Litchi was Top_Cat/Midnight by the way.

Shout outs to Lockhart, the BEST Valkenhayn I've ever had the pleasure to fight, and one of the few players who makes me feel like I need to CA or jump out of pressure, which never really worked. Good games man.

Anyone I forgot, sorry about it, I'm still slightly fried.

BB was lots of fun, GGs to everyone I played (I was blue Ragna).

GG AnimeFreak I'm gonna work on that Bang match up.

Thanks for the beatdowns in casuals LaN5X, Lockhart, and that Litchi player.

Also GGs to DBC, Captian K'nuckles and everyone else I played in casuals.

Good stuff to Leonil representin that Ragna in top 3.

shoutouts to my stick's downback failing mid 1st tournament match :sweatdrop:

I love Extend, it's so fun. Definitely going to keep practicing this one :eng101:

Final Round was amazing!. CEO Next~

Shout outs to Skeletal Minion and Kimchi. Without you, I wouldn't even be playing this game. Always a pleasure to hang out with the both of you.

Shout outs to Kid Viper for showing me that while I am solid, I have much more to learn in order to reach the next level. Being bodied in that fashion were probably the best thing that could've happened to me.

Shout outs to Leonil ( Leonitis LOL ) for further telling me the little things that I weren't applying to my game. Also for taking that embarassing picture... which he will dispose of... yeah.

Shout outs to Stickbug for being the most hilarious person I have ever met. Stay Godlike, sir. :P And thanks for the final drink that finally pushed me over the edge. I can't wait to play you again! Perhaps at CEO?

Shout outs to those I had casual sessions with and to the others I played in the tournament. Especially Eshi - Whenever you're wanting a Valkenhayn to play against to help you out with the match up, let me known. I do everything in my power to help. I basically consider myself apart of GA's scene, anyway... even though I'm really not. >.>

Shout outs to the winners of the tournament. Lord Knight's performance completely blew my mind.

And a big one to Shin Blanka and the rest of the FR staff. You guys are the BEST.

shoutouts to fucking BLUE LINK, he flew from BRAZIL to come to this tournament, jeez

i said BRAZIL!!!!

CopyPasta + Additions from the MTNG Thread

MTNG Side Shoutouts for da FINAR LOUND

ShinBlanka: Ten Thousand Ups to you, man. Ten THOUSAND Ups. Best part of the whole event was the standing ovation you received during your opening speech.

Kyle: May Dittos dolphins everywhere. Makes me wanna play Dolphin Blue in the arcade! What's Dolphin Blue? Think Metal Slug. .... .... But with DOLPHINS. Good stuff making Midnight earn his victory in BlazBlue. It was so close, I couldn't root for anyone.

Eshi: BIG BIG BIG UPS TO SUPREME MASTER ESHI AND PETER. Dude you letting us stay over pretty much is the only reason we were all able to go in the first place. I am very, very appreciative of you two for your support and trust. Thank you for enabling this whole endeavor. Play more Tsubaki.

Bears Are Scary: I will forever use a different synonym every single time I state your name. Dude I was with you on that Arakune match. Tager grab is BS, why does Gadget Finger magnetize, anyway? Fish Bug, Bell Bug, and Bat Bug are the best friends ever.

Skeletal Minion: You're a pretty cool dude. And what I say, goes. You're welcome to Tennessee anytime you want to show up. (hint hint MWC hint hint)

Papstr/Midnight/Klein: Maaaaan, I gave you guys so much crap the entire trip, it was hilarious. I hope none of it was ever taken as me trying to be hurtful. Road trips are meant to be awesome and i'm glad you all enjoyed yourselves. You now have a national under your belt! Eh! Eh! *nudge* Eh! I had a great time with you all and would do it again. Good S to Papstr winning a match at a national tournament. Good S to Midnight getting.. I think we figured out top 16? in BlazBlue with no practice and riding on Litchi's hair. Good S to Klein for not letting defeat bring him down. Good S to Suguri for 6 hours. My new stick works with it. DUDES I FIGURED OUT SOMETHING NEW. MOST CHARACTERS HAVE DASH SUPERS, TOO, WTF MAN. A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF YOMI JUST OPENED UP. aka more tools for me to abuse you guys with.

Tad: I love you, man. Hanging out with you is the best no matter what we're doing. Whether it be playing games, talking about games, talking about sticks, talking about communities, eating Taco Mac, watching Papstr get trolled endlessly by a waitress... everything is awesome with you. *thumbs up* Now where's my thirty awards, just kidding.

Allison: Call me! (Looking back on it, I could've handled us a little bit better, but it's a work in progress)

I think that's everyone, I might be missing a few.

Awesome tournament, guys. I loved being there. The crowd yelling "SONIC BOOM!" for Guile players, "whack whack whop whop whack" for Maxi's, the general chillness of the top players. I talked to Justin Wong briefly, Reynald about KOF, MWC, sponsors, and his mustache, got pictures with Sean Miyagi, The Answer about MWC and sponsors, and a bunch of other players including all my opponents into attending MWC or at least seriously considering it. PROMOTE THAT S. I could talk on and on and on about my experience, and about how it rekindled my drive to not only play fighting games, but COMPETE in tournaments as well as run them to a much higher degree than I already do, so i'll just list notable moments of the trip that I haven't already:

LOG TRAP

Chris G getting DQ'd into loser's brackets haha

Shinblanka getting a standing ovation from the --entire-- venue from his speech.

Massive amounts of Dairy Queens to all players.

SHINBLADE BEATING BOTH THE ANSWER AND REYNALD AND CAUSING THEM TO FIGHT EACH OTHER AND GETTING FIFTH IN KOF

Thunderstorms, "SO LONG, MY FRIENDS! I do what a man must do!" and taking my Last Walk while like 8 people observe solemnly.

Secret Underground Tunnel to the parking garage I found the day after I got drenched saving you punks and your sticks.

The only waitress working at the Westin. We love you.

Bernice knows what's up with ranch dressing dip.

Grouchy is pretty fuggin' Grouchy that he has to close on Sundays.

NOS providing free NOS drinks, lanyards, and bumper stickers(I wore one on my back, Saturday) and a Twisted metal 4player setup was awesome.

And so much more than I can remember right now while on the spot. Point is, if you didn't go, you seriously missed out on a great experience to be around 800 people all doing the same thing.

I didn't take many pictures, but here you go:

http://photobucket.com/FRXVMilln

Edit: I do -not-- cheat at Munchkin. You guys are just mad that I exploit the rules to very last edge, like a true munchkin should!

A word of caution: the results posted on finalround.org for Blazblue are pretty fucked. There are a ton of errors on them, e.g. Jan placing 4th, Patrick Toney placing higher than me when I knocked him out, KoopaDoopa placing higher than Lockhart when he (Lock) knocked him (Koopa) out, people who got DQ'd for not showing at all somehow being ranked higher than last, etc. Be wary that tourney results for other games might be similarly inaccurate.

I'm about to repost the results - all I have to go off of is what was given to me. Can anyone help me out with them a little bit? I've already made a few corrections, but I don't know what else can be corrected other than what I have listed above. I need names and issues.

If you guys can help me sort through them, and maybe email me at webmaster@finalround.org, I'll be glad to fix anything. Thanks!

Very late reply, but it was great to see everyone (GG players) again, too bad I only played a few people, on Friday only; and played awfully/was more RUSTY than I had been in about 2 years :(

GG's to DBC Loop, Zinac, Taitsu, Xionor, Azure Phoenix and anyone else that I played <3 I wanted to play more people, but had to help run the tournament/entered UMvC3 teams, but glad everyone had fun.

Thanks to Zinac for helping run the tournament, especially when Jeff, Ky-Sama and I were in UMvC3 teams (LOL in the same teams), and I do apologize for the minor mistakes/confusion/delays in the tournament. Congrats to the top placers, I thank everyone who entered and I look forward to seeing more of you at EVO <3

Edit: Bobsmack: Can you please post the GG results on FR's main page?

Oh right, I forgot one:

Shoutouts to the guy who left their old spice bag in the backseat of my car. I didn't realized until about Wednesday or so, there was still a target bag with a bunch of old spice in in. GGs guys.