Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nuruhuine

Help a n00b with a few moves pls :)

Hi there Ladies & Gentlemen,

I'm an avid SFA3Max player and I wanted something new for a change, so I tried GGXXAC+ and so far I gotta say I really love it. I'm playing on a PSP btw.

I figured out that the easiest way to get started would be to play the Ruy/Ken kinda guy to get all the basics right, but heck, the gameplay has nothing to do with SF at this point. It's so much more complicated. So I read a few guides and watched a couple tutorials but there are still a few moves that I just can't pull off no matter what.

For starter, the Jump Install thingy in this combo:

S 8, 2D, BR(1) FRC, H, Jc D, SW

I don't know if it's the exact combo but it was very resembling. The point though is that I "store" a jump after doing the "S 8, 2D" part and I should be able to use that jump after the "FRC, H" to continue with "D, SW"... But for the life of me, and I probably trained for at least an hour, I just couldn't pull the damn move off!

Sol always lands normally on the ground and to keep the opponent in the air, I have to continue the combo from the ground.

Then I have another problem with mid-air combos:

I launch an opponent in the air, I jump to continue the combo, but Sol won't do the second jump. If I hit during the first jump, I can't get him to jump another time to chain the combo.

So how can I do to jump, hit, second jump, hit again without falling on the ground?

I even watched a Chipp video when he jumps like 3 times while hitting like there's no tomorrow.

Can anyone help me with these, it's driving me nut!

Thanks!

Don't play Sol so I can't help with the jump install... but...

Then I have another problem with mid-air combos:

I launch an opponent in the air, I jump to continue the combo, but Sol won't do the second jump. If I hit during the first jump, I can't get him to jump another time to chain the combo.

So how can I do to jump, hit, second jump, hit again without falling on the ground?

I even watched a Chipp video when he jumps like 3 times while hitting like there's no tomorrow.

Two things:

1. Make sure that you press up, let go of up and hit them, then press up again. Trying to keep the motions as separate as possible.

2. Certain moves aren't jump-cancellable, so check around the forums or the frame data to see which moves are or are not jump cancellable.

No idea if this helped, it's just basic jump cancelling advice since you mentioned your previous game was SF.

Sol's Bandit Revolver is auto-jump installed in Accent Core, so you shouldn't need to store the jump at all. However, his j.H is not jump cancellable, so that could be the problem. j.S is the only move you can jump cancel with Sol in the air. Oh, and only Sol's air Bandit Revolver can be FRCed, although his ground BR can still be RCed, of course. Also, I think the correct combo you're looking for is:

5K (or 5s or 2K or whatever starter you want) 2D BR RC j.S JC j.D xx CLSW

You do seem to have the basic idea of jump install down, though. However, it's really not that useful for Sol in AC -- I think you can use it with Bandit Bringer, Riot Stomp, or just regular old super jumps, but it really doesn't have many practical applications for Sol.

Thanks for the insight guys, I think I get it now, just have to train now.

I was wondering, is Chipp any good in this version of the game? I really like the ninja type, but in every video I watched, he got utterly pwned by Potemkin (or whatever the name is) and some other chars.

From the infos I found so far, Chipp seems to have the smallest life gauge in the whole cast. This is quite a bummer.

I kinda like Jam the kung fu girl and Slayer too, but Slayer seems to have a very special gameplay with heavy dmg per hit. I rather like the combo frenzy type of character.

I think Chipp is ok, and he has less trouble with Potemkin than Sol does imho. But I do think Chipp can be kind of hard to play because of how much damage he takes. It just doesn't leave much room for mistakes.

Jam and Slayer are certainly both good, although I think Slayer's a bit better. I don't really think you can go too far wrong with either of them, though, as they're both solid characters.

If you care about tier lists, the current tier list has both Sol and Chipp at C and Jam and Slayer at B.

Hugh,

B and C isn't really what I call good. On the other hand, there's no way I'm gonna play a character I don't like such as Testament or Potemkin. So I guess I'll try my luck with Jam and Slayer.

Thanks

Oh, they are very good, trust me. The game is very, very, balanced. Johnny is considered as one of the weakest characters, and I still find him very capable of beating anyone. And I also play with Slayer, he is great :)

B and C isn't really what I call good.

Keep in mind that there are only 3 characters above B tier (2 in S and 1 in A), and 16 below it (14 in C and 2 in D). IMHO, there's also not a whole lot separating the tiers in this game, so characters in B are, I think, closer to the top than they may appear.

You should check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2PeMEQic0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HH2KlpY7e8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klnfOa-waMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4f8Gi1FZFY

IMO, one of the first matchups you should practice is vs Potemkin. He has a low "skill tax" (aka, the difficulty in using him doesn't really come from technical crap and committing a bunch of hard button sequences to muscle memory), so he's among the characters that newer players will pick up. He has a lot of traps that you should learn to get around so that you don't lose to players who really don't know what they're doing, but know to use Giganter oki > Slidehead > combo > knockdown > repeat traps. I didn't even realize until the other day that his 6H has enough stun to guarantee a Slidehead uness you IB it (so if you see Potemkin do that move where he punches almost full screen with both fists, you definitely don't want to get hit, but blocking let's him get a free knockdown anyway that he can combo out of if he can get in range). Learn to deal with this stuff as early as possible so you don't get frustrated later on.

I'm playing a lot of Chipp right now and he's pretty good. He just demands that you can get some FRCs down, and you have to adopt the "don't get hit" mentality. If you get hit, you lose. You're fast enough to bait/punish, and you can lock people down well, so it shouldn't be an issue if you can get in the other guy's head. Right now I tend to go less than even with a practicing buddy's Sol (and it's supposed to be my advantage I think?), but I get perfects on him once in a while. That's just how Chipp works I guess.

I would think that Jam is easier than Chipp, and that you'll probably do well picking up Slayer. Just don't make the mistake of thinking you know what you're doing after you learn a few 50+% combos. It seems like a lot of people that come off of Street Fighter will pick up Slayer and do that, but that's probably just the people I see. : )

Look over the framerate data as you learn the game. Just about every move has some legitimate use as a poke in some matchup because of the gatling system. That's a really broad generalization, but you need to know that you're not just going to be using the same 3 pokes all the time with whichever character you play.

By convention your 6P (forward punch) should be upper body invincible as an anti-air, and your Dust is an overhead, no matter who you play as. Some characters have throw invincible moves, or moves that dodge lows. May's 5K does both, lol. Chipp's 6K is tecnically throw invnicible because he goes airborne, so he can dodge lows with it as well as throw attempts. You should look over the frame data as you learn so you'll remember these effects.