Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HexaNoid

[CS2] Lambda Tutorial Video Thread

Original Thread:

BB Community Project

1) Introduction

* Character breakdown of play style, strengths, and weaknesses

Breakdown

Lambda is all about zoning and effective use of spacing. She excels in mid/long-range play, so keeping your opponent at bay with intelligent use of her drive moves makes up a large portion of her game.

Strengths

As mentioned, Lambda is an excellent zoning character. Her Sword Summoner can create swords with varying trajectories that can lock down opponents and prevent them from approaching you in different circumstances. Lambda’s offence has improved considerably in CS2, so using all your offensive tools to keep pressure on your opponent while maintaining a safe distance between them is where Lambda’s strength lies.

Weaknesses

While Lambda has seen a great buff in her offence, her main weakness now seems to be her defensive capabilities – system changes such as the IB and Green Burst nerfs as well as the fact that her Gravity Seeds (214A/B/C) no longer have invulnerability frames means that she has a much harder time dealing with opponents up close. However, if you are playing efficiently with Lambda you shouldn’t see yourself in this situation too often.

* Breakdown of normals

5A Basic poke

2A Longer range than 5A, slower startup

6A Anti-Air

j.A Quick air poke

5B Medium range poke, 5B~B

2B Low poke

4B Close range, second hit is an overhead

6B Medium range poke, better range than 5B

j.B Overhead, relatively quick air poke, good for AtoA and AtoG

5C Long range poke, combos into itself up to 8 times

2C Close range anti-air, hits up to 8 times, floats on counter hit

3C Low medium range sweep, hits up to 8 times

6C Hits up to 8 times, wall bounce effect replaced with new wall bind effect

j.C Counter carries, combos into 3/5C on counter hit

j.2C Similar to j.C, hits vertically instead of horizontally like j.C

Note: All drive moves can combo into a follow-up with a second drive press e.g. 5D~D, 6D~D etc.

5D Sword attack that runs horizontally along the ground

2D Sword attack that runs diagonally high

6D Sword attack that runs mid diagonally

4D Slow overhead attack

j.D Sword attack that fires slightly diagonally upwards in front of her, mainly used in combos

j.2D Sword attack that fires slightly diagonally downwards in front of her, can be used for pressure/keepaway

* Breakdown of special moves

Act Parser-Zwei (236A/B/C)

Act Parser has different properties depending on the button used. Act Parser A can travel through opponents during 8-13f and can cancel into a throw, Gravity Seed or Sword of Destruction after 23f. It is now faster and travels further than it did in CS1 as well. Act Parser Blade (B) is a low attack and blows back on hit. Act Parser Cavalier © is an anti-air that wall bounces on hit and breaks a primer on guard. All three Act Parsers cover varying amounts of ground.

Gravity Seed (214A/B/C)

Gravity Seed creates a field a field that slows down the opponent and appears either close (A), medium (B) or long © range from Lambda. It has lost its invulnerability frames from CS1, but is still throw invulnerable from 1-15f. On hit, this move counts as a fatal counter, forces crouch on ground hit, floats on air hit and breaks a primer on guard. Field lasts longer than it did in CS1, the start-up of both the field and the physical attack have been decreased and her Gravity Seed gauge takes 16.5 seconds to recharge.

Spike Chaser (214D/~C)

Lambda summons a wave of spikes along the ground that chase the opponent. Floats on hit and breaks a primer on guard. Covers just under half the screen but can cover the whole screen with the use of the ~C version. However, the ~C version has an increased start-up.

Sickle Storm (236D/~C)

Lambda summons a circular saw a little distance in front of her which hits the opponent 6 times. This moves is faster than its CS1 iteration and starts closer to Lambda too. The ~C version is the same but starts farther away and moves towards Lambda instead of away. This move counter carries and new properties given to it in CS2 allow it to be used in combos.

Cresent Saber (j.214D/~C)

Lambda creates a curved blade that appears a little distance in front of Lambda which slashes downwards. A common finishing move for drive combos or can be Tiger-Knee'd for a quick overhead by inputting 2147D. ~C version causes the move to cancel, used either as a feint or as a way of mist-cancelling as part of a combo since it can be cancelled into by other moves and also stops your momentum in the air. Breaks a Guard Primer and has Fatal counter properties. This cancel may only be used once until you touch the ground again. Pretty much unchanged from CS1 except for the fact the TK Cresent Saber > 5D~D no longer works midscreen. TK Cresent Saber also starts one frame later than it did in CS1 due to it's minimum height requirement being increased. As well as this, her TK loop is gone, but has been replaced with something better anyway.

Legacy Edge (236236D)

Lambda summons a portal in front of her that fires off a volley of small swords. Each sword causes wall bounce and can combo into Sickle Storm or Act Parser C on hit or can be used to take off primers with 214D or 236D on block.

Calamity Sword (j./632146D)

Lambda creates a giant sword that crashes down above opponents. Works as an air combo ender for an extra 1k damage. This move can be combo'd off of regardless of whether it's a Fatal Counter or not without the need for a Rapid Cancel. Breaks 2 primers and can be done in the air.

* Changes from CS1 to CS2

- 2B > 2C combos now, regardless of standing or non-CH

- 2C > 5C gatling added, however it is impossible to backwards gatling these normals e.g. 2C > 5C > 2C or 5C > 2C > 5C isn't possible

- Untech time on all second Drive follow-ups * (D)D * has been increased, making it easier to hitconfirm and combo off of (eg. 236B > RC > 5DD > 236C connects very easily)

- Throw does less damage, and is combos using a dashing 2DD instead of dashing 6A

- 6C no longer wall bounces; instead, it corner bounces

- 4B is safer on block, but is now even easier to block

- 214A/B/C loses invincibility, takes 16.5 seconds to recharge if 214A/B/C hits, takes 11 seconds to recharge if 214A/B/C doesn't physically connect, is faster in every way (including "field" start-up), lasts longer, is safe on block, is a Fatal, has better proration, and is Throw immune for a while

- 236A is faster, travels farther, can cancel into Throw, AH or 214A/B/C, and can pass through the opponent for a few frames

- 236D/236D~C is faster, has 6 hits, combo's on air opponents (eg. 236C > 5C(8) > 6C > 236D), doesn't break a Primer anymore, and is basically a new 3C > 214D oki option

- j.214D/j.214D~C had its minimum height requirement raised; it's a bit slower

- 236236D does less damage

- 632146D/j.632146D has a damage decrease, prorates worse, is comboable regardless of FC or not without the need of an RC, is faster, and the air version has minimum damage of 1040

- 236B is now -1(-4 on IB) – loss of frame advantage but no longer punishable on IB

- 214A/B/C can be punished on IB by characters with 5 frame jabs IIRC

- 6D travels further on the screen making Lambda's zoning even better

- Lambda's backwards air dash covers a greater distance

- 4B is now a safe overhead due to increased attack level and pushback

- 2DD > 6C no longer combos

2) Combos

Lambda Combo Notations

Lambda Combos (Video)

3) Strategy

* Mixups

* Pressure

* Okizeme

* Misc. tips/tricks

***To be completed***

Possible Material Providers:

*HexaNoid

*geckotide

*Overheat

Missing 4B and j.2C.

How in-depth do we have to get about CS1-CS2 changes? I don't see where that's going to go, other than huge generalizations like 236D(~C) is much better. Might want to add that Lambda's been hit with a multitude of repeat move proration (lots of 75%-85%) for lots of her specials and 6C.

Calamity Sword breaks 2 primers, as it did in CS1. 236D(~C) doesn't take away any primers.

I'm planning on doing an in-depth Set-ups / Gimmicks video that basically encompasses all of #3. However, I'm not sure if I have the time to head anything or contribute consistently.

This has been planned little by little over the course of some months, and it probably will have some things in common (except more in-depth) with Lambda's Character Tutorial vid.

Added 4B and j.2C (thanks for letting me know).

In terms of CS1-CS2 changes it won't have to be that in depth. Maybe just lists of small things that have changed like 236D no longer taking away a primer.

Even if you can't give in stuff on a consistent basis, anything you can provide for the video would be much appreciated. If you don't have time to actually make the set-ups/gimmicks section of the video, then maybe you can just post any findings you have here and someone else can help with recording it. A write-up would be good regardless to put in here for a further explanation on why said gimmicks work.

If you feel it's going to be more 'in-depth' than the video, maybe you can just give in some little excerpts from your video to inclde in the tutorial video and then you can make your own independent video with the full thing. Either way, thanks for your help.

XD I'm doing the set-ups / gimmicks video as my own project. Most of Lambda's general mix-up that people should generally be aware about is pretty obvious stuff. I'll help when I can, though.

Important (IMO) CS1-CS2 General Changes:

- 236A: already listed some important stuff. Might want to add that it is faster and travels farther as well.

- 236C: new properties help with her standard corner combo's.

- 236D(~C): faster, starts closer to Lambda. Primer change noted. Might want to add that ~C makes it start farther away from Lambda and travels towards her.

- 214A/B/C: already listed some important stuff. Might want to add that it's safe on block, and it's start-up is faster in every way (eg. field activation and the physical move as well). Field lasts longer, Gauge takes 16.5 seconds to recharge, consumes 11 seconds on whiff. (someone double-check the last statement)

- j.214D(~C): not important, but might be worth noting that its minimum height requirement was raised, making TK's 1 frame slower (17+5)

- 2B > 2C combo's now, regardless of standing or non-CH.

- 2C > 5C gatling added, although 2C > 5C > 2C or 5C > 2C > 5C isn't possible (rephrase)

That's all I can think of now. I'll repost if I think of anything else not mentioned.

IDK if this is helpful at all, but I posted this somewhere else and it might explain some stuff better:

- untech time on all second Drive follow-ups * (D)D * has been increased, making it easier to hitconfirm and combo off of (eg. 236B > RC > 5DD > 236C connects very easily)

- Throw does less damage, and is combo'ed by a dashing 2DD

- 6C no longer wall bounces; instead, it corner bounces

- 2B > 2C combo's without the need of a CH or the opponent in a crouch state

- 2C > 5C gatling added (2C-5C-2C or 5C-2C-5C not possible though)

- 4B is safer on block, but is now even easier to block

- 214A/B/C loses invincibility, takes 16.5 seconds to recharge if 214A/B/C hits, takes 11 seconds to recharge if 214A/B/C doesn't physically connect, is faster in every way (including "field" start-up), lasts longer, is safe on block, is a Fatal, has better proration, and is Throw immune for a while

- 236A is faster, travels farther, can cancel into Throw, AH or 214A/B/C, and can pass through the opponent for a few frames

- 236D/236D~C is faster, has 6 hits, combo's on air opponents (eg. 236C > 5C(8) > 6C > 236D), doesn't break a Primer anymore, and is basically a new 3C > 214D oki option

- j.214D/j.214D~C had its minimum height requirement raised; it's a bit slower

- 236236D does less damage

- 632146D/j.632146D has a damage decrease, prorates worse, is comboable regardless of FC or not without the need of an RC, is faster, and the air version has minimum damage of 1040

Somethings I think are important changes:

236B is now -1(-4 on IB), so while we lost some frame advantage, it is no longer punishable on IB.

236C is now punishable on normal block by every character.

214A/B/C can be punished on IB by characters with 5 frame jabs IIRC.

6D travels further on the screen making Lambda's zoning even better.

Her air dash backwards travels a further distance.

And I believe her 4B is now a safe overhead due to the increased attack level and pushback it causes but I will test this once I get home to make sure.

Alright, added all the info you guys gave me. Thanks for that.

Also, is anyone interested in actually filming some material for this? I'll update the first post with volunteers, but don't feel tied down to it just yet. I just need a few names of people to chase up once CS2 actually lands.

I don't think it has to be in HD, but that's a point worth noting. I'll ask Spirit Juice later. And Spirit Juice isn't going to record, but he will be doing all the editing etc. etc. It's just out job to get him some material to work with since, like you said, that would be a hell of a task for just one man.

Edit

I'm willing to record and edit every video FOR each character, but I will need content provided by the community to do this. In other words, members and, most importantly, character forum mods will need to contribute information.

Actually, judging from this, it looks like he will be doing all the recording. Guess we won't have to worry about recording stuff then.

Got home and just tested a few things.

4B is safe if you don't do it point blank range(although why would you do it at that range anyway).

And I have to retract my statement about 236C being punishable on normal block by every character. I had tested it on IB, not normal and the pushback of 236C actually makes it safe if they normal block it.

Forgot to mention a simple thing. 2DD > 6C doesn't gatling anymore.

I'll re-edit this post if I think of anything else.

Also, you might want to add that Calamity Sword can be done in the air (/j.632146D). It takes away 2 Primers, and is combo'able regardless of FC or not, without the need of an RC.