Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GenoWhirl

[CS2] Valkenhayn R. Hellsing Character Video Tutorial

Something to replace mix-ups, plus add to oki,

You have a couple of ways to get oki and mixup with Valk. You used to able to use 236A to get free Wolf mixup but Wolf is too slow to do that now so thats out.

Now you have a couple different options, one that involves Wolf form and one that uses Human form. For the Wolf one, end any combo in [W]j.236B>5C>j.B>j.B>Land>5B>j.B and after the last j.B, double jump and turn back into Human while they tech and you'll get a decent reset. For the Human one, for some shorter, non-Wolf combos(and some combos that do use Wolf), you end the combo with 5B>2C>JC>j.A>j.B>dj.C>Falling j.C. The last j.C always blue beats but it catches rolls and is completely safe on whiff so this is a much more useful oki option than the other.

Guys, I'm follow KayEff's example and continue compiling Valkenhayn's video tutorial. I have 65% of combos completed and will probably finish them tonight. Anything you guys think should be noted in the OP that you think is missing, now would be the time to say something.

Also, I'll try to find video examples of what is and should be put in (mostly through my recorded match-ups on my hard drive). If anyone wishes to point out video examples, that is cool too.

:toot:

I don't know if you already included it but it would be cool to have all the wolf fuzzy guard setups and explanation on how to execute/train the correct inputs. The japanese tutorial vid doesn't exactly spend time explaining that. :)

Just make sure the numbers are right and you give concise and accurate information, I noticed a few issues with KayEff's videos that bothered me(Couple incorrect numbers, inaccurate info, cluttered display.)

As for what to add, Valk has a ton of stuff that needs to be known in order to use him effectively, this means a VERY long video potentially. Being clear and straight to the point is the most important part. I liked KayEff's way of doing it, 1 video explaining all the moves and another explaining combos. In all honesty, if I had control over this, I'd add a 3rd video that focuses only on Wolf Form as its probably much more important than Human Form. Covering movement, Normals, Specials, Mixup(Including setups for Fuzzys), and general control in Wolf Form is much more than enough info to justify a 3rd video.

Another thing I'd like to touch up on is the way we present the info, things like Combo notation, Damage/Heat Gain and any other necessary info, we need to use the space efficiently in order to keep it presentable and informative. This was honestly my biggest problem with KayEff's 2nd video, the Notation was covering half the screen, the font was too big and it was covering Ragna DOING the combos when it could've just been over the health bars. Also having detailed notation is vital in order for people to understand exactly what is happening. I'd also suggest MAYBE leaving on Input Displays in Training Mode for these so that people viewing can see the exact Inputs being done.

Thats about all the constructive advice I can think of now, I wish I had access to recording equipment cause then I would've done this a LONG time ago cause I've been dying to contribute SOMETHING other than just info here for who knows how damn long:v:

I'd add a 3rd video that focuses only on Wolf Form as its probably much more important than Human Form. Covering movement, Normals, Specials, Mixup(Including setups for Fuzzys), and general control in Wolf Form is much more than enough info to justify a 3rd video.

Honestly I'd like to see this released first above others, imo it's more important to learn proper movement first and learn the most effective combos/whatnot later. :)

I dont think input display will help much, it's much easier and practical to write things like delays, timing on the notation. Or explaining specific stuff like "Valk's [w]j.B j.B land 5D 5B is only possible if you're below your opponent", or "In order to connnect [w]j.B j.A after a 236C 9D, be aligned with your opponent then [w]j.B"

Not sure if you guys are doing it now, but I had a hard time learning Valk's timings and combos and stuff like this would certainly help.

Assuming that the video hasn't already been made yet, we could probably learn from the criticisms of the Ragna video. Big thing that sticks out to me was the suggestion for a section on blockstrings/pressure. Just give some examples of pressure strings for mix up, what catches mashing, etc.

Example: Mentioning that 2A > 2C catches mashers. 2C > 6B does the same thing, but can lose out to mashing if they IB the 2C.

Blockstrings and mixup are easy enough to incorporate. If we split it up into Human in one video and Wolf in a 2nd, it would make things even easier. You'd have to put emphasis in the Wolf one though how free form his mixup and pressure is and I'd honestly suggest putting a note saying that the player should just take some time in training to try out their own thing.

I agree with Orion about focusing more on wolf pressure. I'd actually rather not include stuff like 2A > 2C and 2C > 6B because they're just gatlings, and you should honestly just know your gatling options already (or you might as well show all your gatling options in the video). The problem is that Valk's human pressure is incredibly lacking ... He is like Haku-Men in that he lacks a dash but he makes up for it with a bunch of plus frame normals. Blockstrings are more important for characters like Ragna or Makoto who can stagger their pressure with dashes and have the ability to delay their gatlings (Valk can too, but it's incredibly limited). If you're going to do anything on human pressure, just point out that resetting pressure in human form with Valk is pretty much limited to making an opponent block 6C/6B (because they're plus on block and put you closer to the opponent), a jump cancel off 2A/5B/2C (usually for instant j.C) or eventually finding a way to convert the human pressure to wolf pressure.

It's less listing gatlings as mentioning what gatlings serve what purposes; like in the Ragna video where they mention that 2B > 2C has a hole that the opponent can DP through. I just figure it'd be a good idea to give a few examples in that section, rather than just mentioning "Try to reset pressure with 6B/6C", without giving them an idea of how. This is a video for people who don't already play the character, after all.

Just my two cents. Include what you want.

Video has not been done yet, I'm taking Orion's advice with including in-game inputs for combos and such, so I have to re-record. Just remember guys, as Sahgren stated, this is a video assuming you just gotten interested in Valkenhayn and guide from there.

These suggestions are delicious guys, keep them coming and much appreciated. I have no set timeline yet for the video completion yet, probably will finish by next weekend though.

It's less listing gatlings as mentioning what gatlings serve what purposes; like in the Ragna video where they mention that 2B > 2C has a hole that the opponent can DP through.

Oh but this was shown during the portion of the video where they were explaining each normal, which is completely fine. In that section, KayEff basically showed the purpose of each normal, and their useful gatlings (which is what you're suggesting, so I'm ok with that).

I'm just saying when doing a section on pressure or blockstrings, stuff like that should be more freeform and done on the fly, you don't want to provide canned blockstrings that eventually become telegraphed, which is why I pretty much second Orion's suggestion about putting a note about training mode.

Putting different kinds of blockstrings and pressure setups should be provided to show the kind of freedom you have with Valk but to also note that people are encouraged to play around with it themselves and see what they can come up with.

I'd also think adding something when talking about Normals might help. I was thinking that for certain moves we could show the kind of versatility that follows it and what kind of options you have based on certain situations. For instance, [H]5B: Good poke, has probably the most versatility of all of Valk's normals, so we should showcase that by running quick follow ups that work on it like CH5B>Rozen, 5B on block to instand overhead j.C>RC>j.C, 5B on block to low 3C>236A>RC>2C, CH5B>6C. Doesn't need to happen with every Normal, but for Valk's most important ones like 5B,5C,2C and 6C, it would help to show what kinds of follow ups and tricks you could use to utilize the moves better.

Oh but this was shown during the portion of the video where they were explaining each normal, which is completely fine. In that section, KayEff basically showed the purpose of each normal, and their useful gatlings (which is what you're suggesting, so I'm ok with that).

I'm just saying when doing a section on pressure or blockstrings, stuff like that should be more freeform and done on the fly, you don't want to provide canned blockstrings that eventually become telegraphed, which is why I pretty much second Orion's suggestion about putting a note about training mode.

That makes sense. We don't want to be giving new players the idea that "These are the optimal blockstrings. Keep using these and don't try and make new ones.", so we it makes sense not to put examples like that in the blockstrings/pressure section.

All of this is well and good, but the issue I've been running into is where is this video? Not to be rude or anything, I'd just really like some more tips on playing Valkenhayn.

All of this is well and good, but the issue I've been running into is where is this video? Not to be rude or anything, I'd just really like some more tips on playing Valkenhayn.

It's not done yet :(.

College has thrown me for a loop, so progress on finishing recording and editing has been slow.

It's not done yet :(.

College has thrown me for a loop, so progress on finishing recording and editing has been slow.

Speaking of loops, does he have any now in CS2? xD

Speaking of loops, does he have any now in CS2? xD

I'm fairly certain that he still has the [[w]5B > IAD > j.A > j.B > 5B] x N for corner carry (or whatever the exact notation is).

I'm fairly certain that he still has the [[w]5B > IAD > j.A > j.B > 5B] x N for corner carry (or whatever the exact notation is).

I didn't even know he had an instant air dash loop? I did do something interesting on Tager the other day. I back threw Tager, and RC'd it, and Tager stayed in front of me. You can combo off this too. Which combos idk. I haven't played with that to much. Anyone else ever do this?

I didn't even know he had an instant air dash loop? I did do something interesting on Tager the other day. I back threw Tager' date=' and RC'd it, and Tager stayed in front of me. You can combo off this too. Which combos idk. I haven't played with that to much. Anyone else ever do this?[/quote']

Yeah, there was a similar glitch in CS1, I guess it still works on Tager. You should be able to follow up with 2C > 6B > 2C > j.D~AAA > j.236A > j.236B > 7C > j.D > j.B > dj.B > dj.C, if I remember correctly.