Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ky-Sama

GGAC Side Tourney(s) @ Evo2k11 - Singles @ Fri 3PM & 3v3 Teams (after singles)

Hello twins, please add above guy for singles!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo..........

Dear Twins,

If you two read this before you set up machines for the GG tournament, we'd like to have it at the Broken Tier booth near one of the walls. Come see me if you have questions. We'd love to have the GG tournament over here if possible and BRING THE HYPE. :D

Didn't go so well. Took too long to start, so a lot of players started wandering, which lead to huge delays in matches being played; it was very unfortunate. It took an hour and a half for me to get a game, and after another two hours of not playing, I got bored/hungry and dropped from the tourney to go eat. Top 8 didn't even get played until the next day. Kind of sad!

I hear RF won.

84 entrants I think?

Top 4 IIRC:

1. RF

2. AKA

3. ElvenShadow

4. Hellmonkey

Oh wow. Nice job AKA. Made it through 1 JP Faust, but 2 JP Fausts are just too much I guess. Something like that?

Didn't go so well. Took too long to start, so a lot of players started wandering, which lead to huge delays in matches being played; it was very unfortunate. It took an hour and a half for me to get a game, and after another two hours of not playing, I got bored/hungry and dropped from the tourney to go eat. Top 8 didn't even get played until the next day. Kind of sad!

I hear RF won.

Please learn the entire story before posting. I am very sorry that you had to wait, and eventually drop out, but we told you that because you signed up in person, yours were one of the LAST matches to be played, and you also had many byes and were waiting on matches, sadly....Again, very sorry about that.

Ky-Sama and I went to set up the tournament at around 1:00PM-1:30PM, but there was only 1 set up, so we had to get our TV from our room and wait for the others to arrive and bring their TV's (NOT blaming them at all-- them bringing set-ups helped save the tournament). So we finally had 4 GG set-ups going at around 2:00PM-2:30PM and MORE players were showing up at around 3:00PM (before then, only 10-15 players were there, IIRC).

By the time we were collecting money and signing up people, AT LEAST 80 people had showed up and were playing casuals, so we wantd to try to give them a chance to practice/play casuals before starting the tournament-- ESPECIALLY since we had only 4 set-ups.... By the time the 70th person signed up, we had to find a laptop to run the tournament using Tio-- because many people were telling us to NOT do pools. I totally blame us for not having enough time to print a bracket that is bigger than 64-man, but we had NO IDEA that nearly 90 PLAYERS would enter...But regardless, my heart bleeds for the players who had to wait too long to play and dropped out/DQed due to delays, not being around for hours, etc... Even Latif was sent to losers for not showing up, sadly.

By the time we obtained a laptop (thanks to Sanoshi), it was around 3:30PM, so we TRIED TO manually seed 64-70 of more than 80 players. However, people were still signing up, as we were seeding/creating the bracket. Of course, the tournament started MUCH later than it was planned, but IMHO, probably the biggest reasons for delays were:

1. TOO MANY byes in the bracket, due to the number of entrants, size of the bracket

2. BB teams running at the same time (could not be helped)

3. Certain players holding up the tournament-- actually A LOT of them were gone for 2-3 hours

4. Bad reporting and many did not report their matches-- people who were helping us with the tournament sent some to losers/tried to DQ them without the permission of Ky-Sama or me, so that made things even more messed up. However, they were only trying to help, and I am very grateful for their help

5. Too many players waiting on matches-- due to people not showing up/holding up the tournament

I know that it could have ran better, and Ky-Sama & I were responsible than that. However, it was our first time doing it ourselves (at least the 64-man bracket was pre-made/seeded a week ago), and we asked people for help, but VERY FEW offered to help (not that it is their responsiblity to do so), so we did the best we could. Teams ran A LOT better than singles, but ended up running late.... Ky-Sama & I+others decided it would be BEST to finish singles on Saturday afternoon, because by 10:30PM, many players had been gone for hours, even after being called & texted many times, and the BYOC area was being closed, anyway. However, on Saturday afternoon/evening, practically every GG player was either in Marvel pools (including us), or BB singles and/or teams (which also resumed on Saturday, IIRC), so teams ran a bit late, but finished within a few hours, thankfully.

Again, I am very sorry for everyone whose matches were delayed, had to be DQed, dropped out, etc, etc and I understand that some are angry... All we wanted to do was to step up to help create a hype and positive GG experience at EVO and get everyone together to have fun... So many people came from Canada, etc and I feel bad that their EVO GG experience was not better...

So teams happened? How many? Who won?

I will post the full results for Guilty Gear Singles and Teams as soon as I fix some errors in the singles bracket -- please give me a day or so, thank you.

Oh, and just to add, I/we had to resume GG singles the next day (at 3pm, which we told as many people as possible) to avoid the tv's being turned off during grand finals, like last year... But unfortunately, I almost made it out of my 2:00pm MvC3 pool (I expected to go 0-2), so GG singles resumed a bit later than expected...

Teams started a bit late due to us looking for RF for like 3 1/2 hours straight... The same thing happened when we resumed singles, and it would be very unfair to DQ RF when none of us had his number; and he came all the way from japan, and he was excited to enter the GG tournament(s).

I also understand that some people did want to go out and eat/play other games, but I wish everyone would have told me or Sol-Bumguy -- some did, some didn't... I ended up sending aleast 10 people to losers, then some of them showed up a few minutes later, so I had to reverse the loss, then they left, then their opponent showed up before the 10 minute mark, so I had to reverse THAT! and things like this happened MANY times.... plus some people were complaining about about sent to losers or being DQ'ed, so when their opponent was still in the area, I just reveresed it and made them play their match... lastly, there were certain OS players that held up the tournament for hours, so their friends had to keep calling/texting them, so

I felt that it wouldn't be fair to DQ him...

The total entrants before some people decided to drop out was 88! (plus like 10 other non-entrants playing casuals)

But for now, here is the top 8:

1. RF (FA)

2. AKA (MI)

3. Elvenshadow (FA)

4. Hellmonkey (BA)

5. Marlinepie (SL, ED)

6. Steve H (KY)

7. Latif (ED)

8. Saif/ID (OR)

Also, we had like 13 teams (many people could not enter because there were still in other games/had to be somewhere around 8, etc)... Team Japan (RF/Hellmonkey/Kidevu) won, Elvenshadow's team (Elvenshadow/Jesse/Honnou) took 2nd...

we told you that because you signed up in person, yours were one of the LAST matches to be played

Um. No, you did not tell me this.

I'm not angry though. A bit disappointed perhaps, but the blame for things not going well could hardly be placed on you two. The only thing I could really say against you would be that trying to still use the same bracket from a week ago after so many more people signed up was probably not a good idea but that was really the least of the troubles here! And I did get to play a game that I really enjoy, which is a lot better than not doing that.

The only thing I could really say against you would be that trying to still use the same bracket from a week ago after so many more people signed up was probably not a good idea but that was really the least of the troubles here! And I did get to play a game that I really enjoy, which is a lot better than not doing that.

I did show you the bracket, perhaps I didn't explain it clear enough though, sorry..

Forthermore, we only used the 64 man bracket as an example, so that everyone who signed up on DL would already be pre-seeded (we didn't want people playing their friends as 1st/and 2nd matches, every top player playing eachother, etc) -- without it, seeding 85+ people would take forever, especially on a laptop... Although I/We do apologize for the inconvenience, even if it was out of our control...

I'm sorry that you were disappointed, hopefully you had a good time at EVO -- and if you decide to enter another GG side tournament at next year's EVO, you will have a much better experience.

Ok, I'm sick of hearing everyone putting down this tourney. First off the sistas did a great job of throwing the singles and teams tourney. There were factors that unfortunately were out of their hands. It was the normal things like people not showing up to pools or just dropping out when they didn't feel like playing anymore. Instead of complaining why don't you guys take a couple mins to help them actually find some people who are up to play etc. All I'm hearing are people saying "shit didn't go well" or "man, they don't know how to do this stuff". While everyone was off having a great time at Evo these two were trying to make every ones weekend memorable. I was running Evo pools the whole weekend and coming from running tournies for years now know how hard it is. Whenever I got a chance I'd go up and see if there was something I could do. I'll definitely try and help out more next year instead of being someone who's bitching and complaining.

Thank you both for throwing this, keep up the good work, and see you next time.

-Tha Hindu

Thank you twins for running the tournament and getting it finished despite so many setbacks!

Great evo overall, and awesome turnout for an old game. Hope to see many of you again.

PS ignore anyone that complains or whatever, they didn't do shit to help.

i thought they did, they had a tv set for recording purposes. The girls did a great job working with what they had, much props to them for persevering through the BS. Also, will the full brackets be posted?

For real? or did you mean (FA)?

My sister edited my post for me -- it's changed now.

Edit: working on the full bracket results now.

Edit:

Team results:

1: Team Japan (RF/Hellmonkey/Kindevu)

2: Team Elvenshadow (Elvenshadow/Jesse/Honnou)

3: Ask Saif (ID/MikeZ/Kennyon)

4: Team MarlinPie

5: Team Old Men

5: Team AKA

7: Sinoyoo/Mike/Kaige

7: Team FRCflyingJohnny

9: Team DP's Suck

9: Team Jason D+Others

9: Team Hatchi Roku

9: Team Winners Don't Use Lag

13: Team Low-Tier Trash

13: Antonio

Edit2: Bracket (recreated to the best of my memory)

Full Singles Results:

1: RF (FA)

2: AKA (MI)

3: ElvenShadow (FA)

4: Hellmonkey (BA)

5: MarlinPie (SL, ED)

6: Steve H (KY)

7: Latif (ED)

8: Saif (OR)

9: Zeero (?)

9: Blitz (MI)

9: K2 (MA)

9: Woki (DI)

13: Abare-Ky (ED, KY)

13: Teyah (ED)

13: DavidCue (ED)

13: Phaethon (MA)

17: NecroSon

17: What is this game?

17: Stag.S

17: Tae Seong Kim

17: Honnou

17: Jo

17: Roldy

17: Wuku

25: Fragile

25: frcflyingjohnny

25: Stealth_Duck

25: ChaoticBlue

25: Jan

25: Holy Order-Troll

25: Jesse

25: X-Sapphire

33: Jason D

33: Mighty

33: Xie

33: Theupstreamer

33: MANUEL

33: CopperDabbit

33: Mike(2)

33: Linear04

33: Soniti

33: Saru

33: Combofiend

33: Stark

33: Diobrando

33: Himura

33: Mike Z

49: SLEDGE

49: Matrix

49: Kousaka

49: KarlKablisk

49: Mike

49: unsanctifier

49: Spiteful

49: Polyfreeze

49: Reppuken

49: Sytha

49: Coak

49: TSHKN

49: SixEightNine

65: Shunzuke

65: Kennyon

65: Kyoku

65: Xieno Tiger

65: BLARGSTER

65: Simon

65: SuperFX

65: Mr. Igloo

65: Recna

65: HellFromAbove

65: Leo7

65: Shtkn

65: Yaozzer

65: Moroha

65: Shin ATproof

65: Albert

65: Dr. Stormlocke

97: Adam

97: Ryuuka

97: RaptorIIC

97: Zante

97: Huey253

97: DubiousCurvLoop

97: Kobesama

97: BlueNINE

97: Sanoshi

97: Klaige

97: Raye

97: TheBrad

Some people were either DQ'ed or could not make it...

Sorry for this taking me so long -- I had to buy a new mouse, because the old one I was using was making it too difficult to drag-and-drop.

<33

hey i'm glad on the GG tourney being able to finish, but i wish it was a bit more organized.

I changed my tournament (BB teams) start time twice (by request from you) just to prevent what ended up happening but I guess I can't really do much about it now :(

sorry I couldn't join but i didn't expect the chaos of the tournaments overlapping to come up.

see you next year :)

Now that I'm finally home (waylaid first by Calico (Ghost Town), CA, then a mad fit of roadside naps, then a full day of work)...

First off, kudos to the HI sisters for taking the initiative on organizing a GG tournament. In light of the sheer size of the brackets, the hall, general evo craziness, and first time running an evo side tourney, they did a fair good job and displayed inspiring perseverance to finish it right. Being TO is always hard, and even harder at large events like evo. A round of applause for them, I say.

Every opportunity at organizing a tournament opens the doors to massive experience gain. The next one they run will in all likelihood be orders of magnitude better. And as they are now seasoned TOs who can fill the gap if needed, we are that much more likely to see another GG side tournament next year.

Secondly, I'd like to express my nostalgia for the olden glory days of GG's peak years. The tournament's turnout shows GG is still going on strong, but it indubitably has seen better days. I'm genuinely impressed at how many people have maintained their edge in GG.

Third, in a few days I'll probably hash through a post-mortem of the tourney and point out what worked well and what can be improved for future. Or at least what little I remember of it. :wasted:

Twins, thank you for running the GG side tournament, and while I know being a TO is a thankless job, there were some problems with the tournament. As an experienced person in running tournaments and organizing them, please read what I'm about to say. Some of the stuff is obvious and goes without saying, but taking some precautions for next time will help, as well as a few other methods.

Keep in mind that we wanted to give the GG side tournament a space to use for the tournament at the BrokenTier booth, but this also meant we still had to follow Evo's rules and made sure the tournament ended on time. I may sound a little harsh at times, but I'm trying to keep your best interests in mind in terms of running future tournaments.

1) A more concrete starting time. No one seemed to know for sure when the tournament was going to start or when sign ups were. People were asking me if I knew, but sadly I could not give an answer. In addition, the tournament should have started way earlier. Instead of starting at the estimated time of 3 PM, it should have been started at 12 PM or 1 PM. Tournaments like these are gonna take a while, so it's better to start earlier than later.

2) Do pre-registraton. Even if it's a side tournament, having a pre-registration will help you make and seed brackets or part of brackets before hand, saving you time.

3) Grab as much contact information from the players as you can. Pre-reg can be done in this way as well. If you're able to get people's cell numbers, it'll help greatly in contacting them to tell them their match is on deck or they are needed to play. Since Evo is... well, Evo, people will wander off without telling you and be gone for a long time. If you're unable to contact them, you're at their mercy unless you...

4) Disqualify people. This was the biggest problem with the tournament and primarily the reason why it took so long. I'm sure everyone will agree with me on this (and everyone did from the people I talked to). The problem is that you girls are too nice. Being a nice TO won't really get you anywhere. You have to remember that you're running the tournament; the tournament doesn't run you. People are assholes and don't care about what you are doing most of the time, hence people just leaving without telling you where they are going, when they will be back, and how to contact them. Waiting two to three hours for a player to show up for their match is not their fault; it's yours. Well, technically it is their fault, but as a TO, it's your responsibility to DQ them for holding up the tournament.

Waiting two to three hours for someone is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable, especially when you're constrained on time and you have no idea where they are and when they will be back. I remember looking at the bracket and seeing that Shadowcharlie and Hellmonkey still needed to play... and it was something like the first, second, or third bracket into loser's in an 80+ man bracket. What? At that point I think it was sometime around 10 to 11 PM and we needed to wrap up the bracket for top 8 FAST, so I attempted to contact Hellmonkey via cell phone. No response, so I let him know on his voicemail that he was going to be DQ'd since that was logically the best thing to do in the situation. The next morning I saw him and let him know about it and he said it was fine and understandable. Later, I find out that he was not DQ'd and was still to play Shadowcharlie. Are you kidding me? A match that far behind in the brackets was pretty much held up for over twelve hours, maybe more.

Later incidents included the team tournament in which people were waiting on Koogy to show up to play Mike Z's team. Unfortunately, Koogy was running around doing business meetings at the time and also did not have his cell phone on him (as it was needed to make credit card transactions at the booth). I forget how long it took before his team was finally DQ'd, but it felt like pulling teeth to get him DQ'd so the tournament continued. He wasn't going to be back any time soon, but I couldn't seem to get that point across.

Another one was for loser's finals in teams, I believe, in which we were waiting for MarlinPie to show up. This was at the same time that the WC vs EC Marvel team 5v5 was going on the stage. Marlin was part of the team tournament. We were extremely short on time and again it felt like pulling teeth to get him DQ'd because it was literally going to be impossible to finish on time if the tournament waited on him. Even after he was DQ'd and the tournament moved on, the tournament still barely finished in time. I believe the team tournament ended as soon as the WC vs EC Marvel match ended and Evo staff immediately started kicking everyone out.

5) Bring a laptop. Doing a tournament of that size on paper without using pools is just too difficult. With a laptop, you also have access to your pre-reg, and you can take down easy-to-access contact information from players. It was pretty fortunate that Sanoshi was there let you use her laptop.

I think that about covers it. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but rather give constructive criticism about how to run future events. I know being a TO sucks ass and is a completely thankless job. I've been there multiple times. Hopefully it was a good learning experience, and should you do another tournament like this, you'll be even more prepared to ensure things run more smoothly.

The Guilty Gear tournament did end up getting screwed as we all know, but I don't care. I met a lot of GG players that I was really looking forward to meeting. You guys just need more experience in being strict like Spirit Juice said.

Special shoutouts for you girls for keeping your cool!