Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Z

Robo vs Potemkin

Conjecture from a Pot player's standpoint.

Matchup Statistics:

Japanese Ranking: 5-5

Stormlocke's Ranking: 3-7 (4-6 if the Robo player disconnects his opponent's joystick before the match)

Openers:

(Usually Pot's openers are on reaction to Robo's first move, so I'll have to do this backwards.)

If Robo opens with 6P, Pot can Megafist Fwd to counter it on reaction.

If Robo opens with anything else on the ground, including 2D, Pot can Slidehead it on reaction.

Both of these moves can use the same motion, so it's fairly easy for Pot, unfortunately for Robo.

However, if Pot chooses not to be reactionary and opens with 2S, 2P, 5S, Heat, 6H or Hammerfall, 6P beats them all cleanly.

Recommend backdash or jumping away - at least you don't lose any life.

Okizeme:

Bazooka, bazooka, bazooka! Pot buster has startup; Judge Gauntlet has startup; reversal Slide Head will get hit before it goes active; reversal Giganter won't hit you; Hammerfall straight up loses; and if it's a Lv3 it'll hit his backdash at the end. Pretty much forces Pot to block, or do do a reversal Megafist to attempt to run or hit you. He can also do reversal Heavenly to run away, but that's foolishness!

Remember to properly space yourself. If you mistime it and Pot manages to get a Gauntlet out, you'll be pushed back outside his range and you get a free combo anyway, and if he tried a Buster it'll miss.

At worst if you screw up horribly badly and Pot escapes with a jump or backdash, he can't do anything to you from that range anyway.

Punishes:

For the love of god learn how to backdash, IAD, Robo Dash, or Horsie over Slidehead, and hurt him for doing them randomly. 6P vs Hammerfall.

Gold Burst vs J.d can be very effective.

Nezu has also been doing Level 3 Horsie, and if he hits Potemkin during Hammerfall he will immediately cancel into Punch Spam Super.

Counters:

6P vs Hammerfall, again. 5H FRC command grab also works here (I get it from Xyth more than Storm though).

Anti airing:

2H (Knee rocket) beats j.D, beats j.S, and forces Pot to guess what to do on the way down. Repeat it after the first one hits for big annoyance.

Otherwise, Pot's j.S beats pretty much anything Robo has except his DP, even 6P.

Zoning:

Lv3 missiles can wreck Pot if used correctly - they are hard to reflect unless Pot has a lot of practice, and you can stay in the air afterwards to avoid him trying to Slidehead your recovery.

Slidehead beats all your pokes except 2K/2S, so lots of keepaway poking is not recommended...

Their game plan:

Knock you down, apply sexy awesome okizeme, and keep you down and close to him. Luckily, Pot can't do the Giganter trap on Robo. Unluckily, Pot can easily do his best possible combo to Robo (Buster FRC 2S 2H Heat) for major damage and a knockdown every time.

Mostly this match for Pot is reactionary until he knocks you down.

Strategy:

Don't do obvious Robo Dashes, or you will die. Spam Lv3 missiles. 6P vs Hammerfalls. Antiair with 2H. Runaway cautiously. Remember he can Buster you out of the startup of a Horsie.

80% Heat pressure works well though.

Char specific details:

Pot badly wants to flick missiles, so mix it up. He is looking to easily backdash your Robo Dash and score a free Buster, so those are risky. He can outpoke you with Slidehead or 2s, both of which lead into his awesome okizeme. He is also looking to randomly Giganter your offense, to Slidehead badly timed missile recovery (since they disappear once Robo is hit), and to HPB your aerial runaway.

Delayed Getup: Don't. Avoid GOTFTSD unless it is to escape the Giganter Trap, if the Pot player is dumb enough to do it. Why not? Because all of Pot's okizeme options don't waste meter, and they all recover fast enough for him to simply realize you're still on the floor and do another one when you really do get up. Yes, even 6H. Plus, it's easier to time his meaties if you give him a 2nd chance, so don't bother. It doesn't benefit you in any way.

Det Mode: Might be a good idea here, Storm uses it pretty well. It allows lots of Lv3 missile spam, which is a good thing. Kamikaze force break after the last missile will usually at least force Pot to block, unless he can HPB you out of it. Unfortunately, I can only explain that much.

Bazooka: If one hits, you can usually hit with 5p x3 into 2s. Vs other characters you can only really get 5p x2.

Okizeme: lvl 3 horsie is also a good oki option as it in not throwable and it will catch him back dashing. run into them like your gonna robo dash or 5p/5k then horse right as theyre getting up. Punishes: Most of pots normals come out pretty slow, pretty much everything except j.hs -> 5p or 5k -> 5s, you can instant block and sho. This will get you out of alot of scary mix up and tick throws but can also get you killed if they bait it. Counters: Pot has a really good 6p that he likes to use. Air dash at the most rediculously obvious time then cancel it into a missile to bait that 6p. Anti airing: 2hs! Zoning: Vary the height that you throw your missiles at to try and throw off his flick timing. He doenst move very quickly so your missiles dont have to be super close to the ground to keep him from going under them. Strategy: Your best bet is to stay away and build tension and be very paranoid of slide head. Throw out alot of level 3 missiles, if he blocks some run up and pressure. Use his desire to pot buster against him by running in deep and throwing out a horsie. Delayed get up doesnt really do much for you in this match up besides for gigantor setup, because he recovers from everything in time to do it again before you get up. That said, 90% of the time theyll do the same thing that they whiffed, so if you do giggle you may have an idea of whats coming. FDing his pressure can be very useful for avoiding tick throws and pushing him away as it can be quite hard for him to get back in to continue pressure, FD him away and super jump out of the corner. Its not recommended that you back dash on wake up as 5k and 6k and still catch you and will lead to damage and knockdown for pot.

a bit of suggestion....if you get a move like 2k into 2s and you lay the mat be care as you run back in with 5p if that is what you were gonna do cause he can wake up pot buster u....i realized if you are going to run back in use the bazooka if you are out of distance or another safe alternative is 5k......but with 5k i wouldnt go crazy mashing it cause he can also do that wake up aegis reflector super thing...

also level 3 missles own pot since he usually gets hits by it and you can run in for a mixup...

when potemkin does that jump in air move where he comes down with his ass poking out(think its jump 2k) you can get a gold burst on it if timed right or if you white guard it you can get off at least a 5k hit.

dont try to jump in on pot at all(if anything u can try to IAD every so often)....first of all you have that one move where he grabs you and also his super and that one punch move that looks like he is praying or something he can do to u.

remember his 6hs you have to white guard or else he will do that smash the ground move on you and thats an auto combo....even if you dont white guard 6hs sometimes you can still backdash the ground smash move depends on how fast you can get out a backdash and the person how fast he gets out the ground smash move.

the one move where he jumps forward like a frog with double fist learn to white guard that one because if you dont afterwards it could lead to a pot buster....

robo dashin is pretty good using in this match as well...just make sure you have enough distance to use it because if not he can 6hs or 5hs you.....but dont be predictable because you have to hit him twice on his charge move thing.

Also sorry if this is a lil hard to read...good info but i just dont know the damn name of the moves pot has so i tried my best to describe at least how it looks or something....

Pot can't buster through a meaty attack, since it's invulnerable starting on frame 3.

do you realize that this game runs on 60 frames? 3 frames is like not even an 1/8 of a second!!! meaning if you are off by just 1/60 of a second he can pot buster you.

You also need to add in the amount of time the actual meaty has in active frames, which is usually between 4-14 frames. Also, an frc timing has usually about 2 frames to hit, at high level you're supposed to be hitting your frc's of 1/30th of a second 99% of the time. I dont see why it would be hard to expect to hit a meaty that has at least 3-4 times the window on average.

around 230 in this vid is an excellent example of a wake up pot buster....bazooka would have been better for wake up but he tried to run in with a 5p looks like and before he could got pot bustered cause of the long reach on it....not even the japaneese can time it perfectly....look up some vids on robo vs pot and usually they run in with 5k....not 5p....

also level 3 missles own pot since he usually gets hits by it and you can run in for a mixup...

pot can flick the missiles, so pay attention to see if he does before you automatically just run in behind them.

robo dashin is pretty good using in this match as well...just make sure you have enough distance to use it because if not he can 6hs or 5hs you.....but dont be predictable because you have to hit him twice on his charge move thing.

robo dash can be back dash bustered on reaction so mix up your timing and also mix it up with run up horse to bait the back dash. jump, back dash or sho after are blocked robo dash or youre probably getting bustered.

Alot of this stuff was already talked about in this tread, you should read it if you havent.

another intresting mix up if pot is in the corner and you land a 2k into 2s or just a 2s is afterwards hit 5k to hit pot then he will tech back then 2hs him....to play it safe u can 2hs frc it..

5p is way better than 5k, 5k is not meaty at all and you will get bustered if you try to do it as oki. its not that hard to learn how to make 5p meaty. You do want to learn your spacing a little different with pots though so you dont get back dash bustered

pot can flick the missiles, so pay attention to see if he does before you automatically just run in behind them.

robo dash can be back dash bustered on reaction so mix up your timing and also mix it up with run up horse to bait the back dash. jump, back dash or sho after are blocked robo dash or youre probably getting bustered.

Alot of this stuff was already talked about in this tread, you should read it if you havent.

5p active frames:4

5k active frames:7

That is not to say 5k is better oki than 5p (as 5p is +7 on block, raises guardbar a ton) but 5k is almost twice as meaty.

5p active frames:4

5k active frames:7

That is not to say 5k is better oki than 5p (as 5p is +7 on block, raises guardbar a ton) but 5k is almost twice as meaty.

youre right, my bad.

I disagree with the matchup rating of RK vs Potemkin for the most part. Being someone who regularly fights a good Potemkin, I can say that RK's speed gives him a good advantage. It helps to get a good air combo with the hammer out on him when you can, and like the guide says, use Bazooka as an Okizeme. And remember, even if Potemkin CAN counter everything Robo can throw out there, that doesn't mean he will do so or be able to. (Unless you happen to fight a Potemkin who practices against RK religiously and hates the very ground he walks on. In which case, just crawl into the fetal position and wait for the end to come. *Nodnod* :keke: )

I don't know man, I play Mike Z, Ken-I and even random Potemkins somewhat frequently and still believe this matchup is seriously tough for Robo-Ky. You are correct in stating that just because a character has options to counter your character's moves, it does not mean they will, but the Risk-Reward is significantly higher in Potemkin's favor. The only time I have confidence in the matchup is when I'm playing Knee Rocket Space Command and juggling Potemkin in the air with repeated 2hs FRC, backdash, 2hs FRC, dash forward, 2hs, etc. Or after I Gold Burst Pot's J.d. Tension gain is the main problem. I'd like to know how other Robo players (besides my comrade Dontuel) gain tension from fullscreen.

I get the feeling that there's a sort of heckling that has to get involved if Robo vs Pot fights. I see a lot of the time where the Robo is trying to confuse the Pot about whether he's going to jump or 2d, and a good bit of the strategy revolves around baiting slide head, after which they do an IAD combo or get a free ch missile, which is usually lvl 2. From there it goes into close combat, and that's a whole different game.

please PLEASE someone give me an in-depth guide to beating this guy. 5-5 my ass, he can slidehead 2d on reaction, and trying to backdash it all the time causes me to overheat more than a Slash RK. It's damn near impossible to get tension, and even when you do your shit gets flicked anyways. I only like the matchup when I can set up level 3 missile oki, AKA never. Advice plz.

If you are all the way at the back of the screen... when you get slide headed you actually don't get pushed off the mat (gain about 2 bars). This is only good when there is no possible way for potemkin to get to you in 1 hammerfall dash. The problem with this is that unless you time it... you are gonna get slide headed again. If I do manage to get 50% tension i almost always go for det super (just be careful to actually catch him with the explosion at the end... even on block is fine). How does roboky's j.D do against potemkin's? After a corner 2HS he gets right over me and i have trouble catching him with another 2HS I don't think I saw it but here is a list of things potemkin can flick (almost everything) missiles bazooka steam 6p (90% sure on this) probably 2HS... not sure but he can slide head through it anyway (the goddamn rocket flys through his head :<) (Yeah I also have no clue what to do against potemkin)

confirm, yes he can flick 6P and i almost broke my stick in half the first time it happened