Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spark

[CS2] Hakumen vs Tager

Moves to use:

• 4C: Extremely useful. Tager has little to do against it other than to block. One of your best tools to zone Tager out.
  • j.C: Serves the same purpose as 4C, but against air approaches.
  • 2C: Great anti-air to use as it covers a lot of range and will still give Hakumen needed space if it's barrier blocked.
  • 6D/5D: These are amazing to use in reaction to Tager's slow moves. Will not prevent you from being magnetized if you catch your opponent's 5D and the like but the combo afterwards will whittle away most of the time while it's active.
  • 3C: Quite useful along with 4C in the ground zoning game. If spaced correctly, you can stuff a lot of Tager's moves before they have a chance to hit you and score a CH. It is also useful against 6A (super armor doesn't stop lows) when a Tager player is trying to fish for your 4C.
  • Hotaru: Good on wakeup and against Tager's j.C air approaches. Any hit will give you damage and at least breathing room.
  • 5B: Interestingly powerful tool at neutral as it can beat a good amount of Tager's normals if he's too close for C moves.

Strategy:
    • This matchup will require a lot of patience and “laming out” but you cannot allow Tager the chance to do anything up close.
    • Use 4C, j.C, and 3C to prevent Tager from advancing. He has very little he can do about this save Spark Bolt.
    • You must constantly be aware of your spacing in the match-up, especially if the opposing Tager is sitting on a Spark Bolt. If you misjudge your range, Tager can backdash to cause you to whiff and CH with Spark Bolt when your pants are down.
    • If you zone effectively, the opposing Tager player will have to resort to riskier tactics to get in. Tire your opponent out and they will get reckless, which you can capitalize on when possible.
    • Avoid getting magnetized at any cost as Hakumen's zoning game becomes very hard as you can be easily pulled farther than expected and get CH. Tager's 5D/6A/2D become viable counters against most attacks. If you score a hit while magnetized, do not be afraid of using meter to extend the combo as much as you can, regardless of the damage. The longer you have Tager in a combo, the less time he'll have to pull you around. NOTE: Magnetism stacks, so if you are already magnetized, the duration of any following magnetism will be added on to the total time (max. 960F or 16 seconds).
    • Last but not least, do not be backed into a corner. Use any openings to get past Tager and out of danger.

Character-Specific Details:

[*]Instant overhead j.B will work on Tager even if he's crouching. Use this to hit-confirm and cancel into Tsubaki for great damage while avoiding Tager's 360A/B & 720C and stuffing Atomic Colliders at the same time.

[*]A character-specific combo that will help very much in this matchup is 6D > IAD j.2C > 2C > JC > j.2A > AD j.2A > j.C. Do the IAD j.2C as you would with Hotaru and you will hit Tager from behind. When you land, Hakumen will already be facing the other way and you can combo Tager into the corner that you were getting backed into. Not only that, but this cost no meter, will give you corner advantage, and much needed breathing room.

I have no idea how to handle his pressure game. I usually get caught in command grabs and then I die, if not when I jump I get caught in AC. it's really frustrating since this usually happens when I'm winning :(

You have to choose based on what you think the Tager is going to do. TK Hotaru beats Collider and 360s if done properly, but it can be baited if you do it a lot. Look for patterns and act accordingly. You can punish Tager for wrong guesses just as much as he can punish you for wrong guesses.

tk hotaru, punch/3C, block, catch(lol).

========================

punch/3c

beats: AC, 6A, 5C

loses to: 5A, command throw, MTW, backdash

====================

block

avoids: 5A and all other attacks

loses: command throws

=====================

TK hotaru

beats: normal and command throws,5C, AC, other slow moves

loses to: MTW, block, backdash,

=================

backdash

beats: normal throw and command throws

loses to: 5A, 360 hold, 720 hold, almost everything

=================

drives or yukikaze (except 5D)

beats: 5A

loses to : everything else. (yukikaze beats MTW)

this is dependent though

====================

correct me if im wrong.

TK hotaru also loses to 5A. You get hit out of the jump startup. Also gets beaten by AC if they're expecting Hotaru.

We're kind of going in circles at this point.

FYI Backdash destroys hotaru and gives Tager a free grab.

Tager can also use 2B to bait counters and hotaru and 360 or punish however he wants.

Just wanna throw that out there.

5A(whiff)>5B beats backdash i think, haven't tested. And could beat MTW, if you can cancel 5A into catch.

And can late hotaru clash with MTW and be canceled into catch/another hotaru?

FYI Backdash destroys hotaru and gives Tager a free grab.

Tager can also use 2B to bait counters and hotaru and 360 or punish however he wants.

Just wanna throw that out there.

Backdashing can be beaten by TK Tsubaki and a delayed Gurren to catch the dash in the air. This match-up is a big game of rock-paper-scissors after GF, but I like that as you're forced to think more than usual.

@ Everyone else: Yes, this move of Haku's/Tager's can be that other move of the opponent's, but that's not the biggest issue in this situation. Not only is Haku's post-GF game limited by his magatama, you're also magnetized and you have to force the Tager player into a move as the risk/reward is in Haku's favor even after their GF. However, you either have to condition the Red Devil punching bag in or you're going to have to play the same yomi game Tager does. Smart Tager players will be playing the yomi game as well, but will do it better as it's second nature to them like breathing is.

Don't become predictable, don't let them in without a fight, and don't go all-in when you have meter. The meter you have is better used when punishing Tager for getting reckless, not so you can go crazy and fall right into Tager's hands.

Don't become predictable, don't let them in without a fight, and don't go all-in when you have meter. The meter you have is better used when punishing Tager for getting reckless, not so you can go crazy and fall right into Tager's hands.

I would like to emphasize this as well. You must has utmost spacing control, do NOT let him get in close on you. Also don't become predictable with your zoning either, utilize empty jumps and an occasional guren after 4c for instance and at the optimal range use 6c to break primers. Tager has a few answers to hakumen since his zoning is fairly limited, but you can hit hard. But don't commit to attack him let him "try" to approach you and chip down his health until you can punish his risks. Be ready to jump when there' nothing in tager pressure holding you down so as to avoid 360's.

This match up is probably my worst coupled with tsubaki.

A good Tager will get in eventually. What's important is how you deal with it when he's on top of you.

yeah, once they're in its rock paper scissors on initial movement. i've learned to do more 6A anti air when he jumps as opposed to 2C because of how often he lands right next to you if he blocks it. of course, i figured in this case to special or jump cancel and save myself from a painful 4k. what would you say is the best move to use when conditioning a tager? aft GF, i figured the best way to win out is to condition them to whiff something like AC or backdash and punish that as opposed to letting them play simon says with you.

My main problem with this matchup is honestly what to look out for to counter, and when to burst during his combos (I find early bursts make this matchup more manageable)