Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Stormlocke

Robo vs Venom

Matchup Statistics

Japanese Ranking: 4.5-5.5 in Venom's favor.

Openers:

Okizeme: Opponent's tension is below 50% = Bazooka

Opponent's tension is @ or above 50% = Bazooka

Punishes:

Counters:

Anti-airing:

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy:

Char specific details:

found out a few things about robo ky vs venom. about venom balls. you can do 3 things to help you out. Smoke them, 6p, or slide under them. In this match jumping in on venom is deadly....real deadly (for you). if you notice urself in the corner make sure you at least try to plant a mat so you can dead angle or something. I realized the best way to get out of the corner besides DA and uppercutting is to superjump out. Using a random horsie is good sometimes because if the venom player is trying to summon a ball and u do horsie at the time he is doing that then its a free hit. Once you are on venom bazooka and try to mix him up....one annoying thing about venom is his DA. Venom players will DA you alot so if you can try to bait it and they will get rocked.

Hey eveyrone i live in the houston area near Planet Zero and I just started playing RK. My friend plays VE and i can beat him but not consistenly. Can someone give me a tip on wht to do against him?:yaaay:

honestly, a match against venom is really a pain in the ass. and in here i advise two things: Patience (a lot) and Defense. You can't (or you shouldn't) advance through the air. It doesn't end nicely. Meaning you will have to break through the huge amount of balls that will travel towards you. Besides, Venom can really lock you under his pressure string, meaning you will probably overheat soon enough. Learn which moments you can try to escape so you don't explode. Another useful thing is learning how to efficiently use the delayed getup: it can throw venom's timing off

i dont play much v venom, but i think i have an idea super jump - FB to approach via air basically super jump, the FB and go up->over->L3 missile/go down the missile will split and give you some cover, or use it as a very large movement box, that i imagine venom would have a lil trouble anti-airing well (since only roboky can really do anything like that) but 2k/steam approaching seems like it would help advance easier then the FB thing, but i like gimmicky shit lol

well venom's 6p rapes any aerial approach and most likely he will have a ball ready to just stop the lv3 missile before it splits probably your best bet would to just wait until you can robodash in (through any incoming balls) although that's not a very safe option unless you have really gotten invincibility timing down on it or just ib his pressure string until you have around 75%.... alpha counter out then you have some tension to pressure him.... neither of those options sound very good... but i never play against venom... so i have no idea what to do either that's just what i tend to do against chars i have no matchup experience against

the missiles are kinda extreme: near ground = good, way up high = bad idea suppose a lvl3 missile: if you use it near ground, venom won't have much space to run and will have trouble trying to advance through the air. besides, you can also kill some balls with this. now, if you're way up high and use the missile, unless you can jump or dash, he's gonna run past the missiles (they're still high, so nothing is in his way) and combo you

well the way i was thinking you missile, then you air dash to the other side.... and your on the way down if he tries to combo, one of the splitoff missiles will interrupt him most likely but without actually tryin in game, i aint sure if maybe like jump missile jump FB up over down js or something if i ever play a venom, ill let you know what i come up with.. it was just an idea ^_^

one of the worse thing for venom in this match-up is the fact that robo can DAA after a good 8 IB's. Personnally, just to be a jerk, I let my local venom player blow his tension on his blockstrings, than DAA to switch momentum...

You should use missiles only when he's summoning balls or in a air combo :P And yeah, it's really hard to approach him, but high jump is pretty useful. You don't allways get trought with it, but it's better to try than doing nothing. You shouldn't keep away from him, or else you get balled :D Try to keep him in a pressure string, but beware of his DA :P The only ways to get away from his pressure strings are to burst or DA... 2k goes trought sometimes, but if it dosen't get, it hurts.

Offensive against ballspam: Go to the air: high risk, high reward. Robo has some great options for air-to-ground, but just make sure you only use this option a couple times per match; Venom's anti-air will bounce you into a gross combo. Defensive against ballspam: May be a better offense. Counter projectile with missiles; he'll have to block. Sit back, and instant block the balls and throw down mats to fuel your volleys. Eventually he will rush you, which is what you want.

counter with missiles? that would require level 3... otherwise it would be a losing trade (your 10% tension for his zero) why not just do steam? steam frc gives you some ground i just dont think id want to force him to rush in if im burning tension to counter via missiles cuz i see it happening something like this i use missiles to counter... using tension (ill gain it back IB or mat) and building heat he uses balls, gaining tension i block his pressure while im waiting for my own tension to build, building heat as well he goes in, if i dont get him off right away... then im blocking, building heat.... then its either get him off, or ill go pop from his pressure string and hes got ya for some damage ...just speculation, but isnt that what would happen? or not really?

True, using anything other than lvl 3 missiles against neutral Venom is a bad idea. The purpose I had in mind for the missiles is to force him to FD your missiles while he's setting up his balls. A really good way to deal with certain ball setups is to 2k under them, but a lot of the time that won't be possible. If you have a lot of finesse, you can just use 6hs, 6p, and 2k to negate and go around the projectiles, but what I'm getting at is that the attempt is to make Venom stop making balls for any amount of time.

what about just FD the venom then when there is enough space superjump and dash afterwards to escape the corner....or FD him (not the balls) then when enough space is avalible 6p....or another option during the ball rushdown is instant block the balls (or the last one) then if he is gonna run in uppercut his ass

invinsibility (i dunno if i spelled that right xD) in robo charge could allso be prettu useful in some situations. And about FD: Yeah, you should allways FD when his starting a pressure string. Use DAA when you can (if you dont mind losing the 50% tension :/)

when fighting venom, i would just FD away his Melee and push him away, then force him to use his FRC to get in, when he low on tension he will then try high lows or ticks, so during certain times its best to super jump out and get away. i just IB the balls to gain tension... but i ono that is how i feel when i fight him, he always crank my bar up and do massive dmg cause sometimes iget afraid to FD, but then, sometimes you just got to FD that shit! lolz...

I got to play this matchup a decent amount at SB3 and I will give my two cents on it. At the start of the round (and basically throughout the match in general) His pokes are faster and longer range then yours. That being the case, you're probably going to want to start the round blocking (if he opens with 2s/2hs,both 6 frame startup low profile moves, it will beat your standard openers like f.S, plus if you jump towards him he will recover in time to 6p you). And in fact, you're going to spend a majority of the round blocking, which kind of sucks because he's got that whole extra chip damage going for him. When you are in neutral situations (both of you are across the screen, zoning each other) he will be doing quick 2 ball formations most likely and slowly sending them your way. You will be laying mats when applicable and either avoiding the balls (2k'ing under them, 6Hing them, 6p sometimes but the recovery is so long they can do a charged HS ball sent your way on reaction to that) or IBing the bare minimum you need to. In general, unless you get a knockdown early somehow, you won't try to apply a whole lot of pressure to Venom because he's got the range and speed on his normals to beat your standard zoning/poking normals such as f.S and 2k. Once you hit 50% you can start fighting back, doing close to the ground TK missiles, since Venom isn't generally fast/small enough to avoid them if you do it properly. However keep in mind if he has a ball out away from your split missiles, he'll generally teleport to it to get away. As someone already mentioned, it's not really worth trying to do level 2 missiles spam as counter pressure because you'll have each missile (10% tension) trade with each ball which really doesn't get you anywhere. Most likely Venom will be getting the first knockdown/initiating the first pressure string, and while Venom has arguably the best pressure in the game, you can really turn that against him by IBing as much as possible. It's REALLY easy to get half a bar real fast if you can block his jump in mixup because c.S will hit 3 times, 2H hits twice, and even if your guard gauge is being cranked, you will be getting the bar you need to get your level 3 missile spam going. I'm not saying willingly subject yourself to Venom pressure all day for the sake of bar (because his chip damage WILL kill you if you let it) but let him blow his tension keeping you in the corner, get as much tension as you safely can, and then Superjump out when you find a chance. Airdash away, send some level 3 missiles down to cover your descent, and gain ground accordingly. FD if you are close to him as obviously his 6p will wreck your shit. On a side note, delay wakeup is great against Dark Angel. Luckily his health kind of sucks as well as a lack of defensive options makes him very susceptible to your bazooka pressure whenever you can get it. Venom's tall standing hitbox makes him a great target for fuzzy guards, so give those a try during your jump ins. Oh and don't try to anti air with 2H, that moves only really good in the PO and MA matchup. That's all for now.