Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kuuhaku

[CS2] The Rachel Sanctuary (Free for all, some posts NSFW) 6.0!

what do you guys use for frametraps? i'm having a bad (read: horrible) time creating safe, solid ones.

2a 6b is hard to react to for me, and as such l lose big damage from it.

so l tired 2a 6c. lf 6c hits l can react with 5d for a huge combo, and if it is blocked l can summon a pumpkin in midair and start a 3 way mixup - but alas, l lack the reaction time yet again.

so are there others?

To frame trap people, you just late chain stuff. Or, since you're Rachel, you late chain stuff and wind pumpkin forward. A basic example would be 2A 2A. 2A's neutral on block and chains into itself, so it's pretty easy to use in this instance. Just do it a little slower than you normally would so there's a gap. If they're mashing anything that's not an invulnerable move (which they wouldn't since you'd recover in time from the first 2A to block and punish), you'll get a counter hit.

If you've seen Noels run up and do 5A 5A, this is exactly what they're doing. They're doing it late enough to where you think they're done, so you hit a button to try to get out, and then they'll do 5A again to hit you out of the start up of your move and get a counter hit.

@ tofurr- I love Rachel mirrors. I feel like I'm some kind of gothic loli kite. Plus, it's fun to troll the other Rachel by winding her cannons so they go in awkward directions.

Rachel mirrors are awesome. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And I'm black so thats very hard to do.

Well, I like trollin' Rachel mirrors, but not super cereal Rachel mirrors.

l hate mirrors in general but rachel mirrors have got to be my least favorite. l can't block against my own character, and l never, ever know what's going on. l just freeze up irl, unsure of what to do. in fact rachel mirrors was the reason l learned other characters, so l would never have them ever again.

and thanks polka, that is simple enough to work for my need.

Every Rachel mainer should hate mirrors.

They pretty much make me contemplate suicide for about 3 minutes. But atleast they are not a hour long zoning battle anymore since we can just corner carry and end it all if the other Rachel has poor defence (aka me) haha.

I hate mirror matches. Whether it's Rachel or any other character I play, I tend to struggle with mirror matches. Though Rachel is the worst out of all the characters I play.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but I'm looking for beginner Rachel advice. I played Ragna in CT and a little bit in CS1, then pretty much played SSF4 mainly. I decided to give CS2 a try and I'm trying to use Rachel as a main and...well she's a lot different than Ragna so I'm going against a learning curve, but overall I think she's more fun to play as since I mained Dizzy in GG and Rachel seems kind of similar.

I don't think my problem isn't in execution. I've spent time practicing a lot of her BnBs and am pretty comfortable with most of them. The only thing I'm really having difficulty with is doing air combo with lvl2 2C into George > 5B, but I can do lvl 2 2C > 236B > air combo > 214C > BBL > etc etc consistently.

My first main problem is approaching. I usually try to hang back and toss lobelias at an opponent until I can get george or pumpkin out. Then I'll use wind to pressure with the pumpkin or move george in and hit them then go for a pressure string. If they can get in past my lobelias though, I usually find myself screwed. I've fought a lot of Hazama players, and had problems getting lobelias out with Hazama's chains.

That leads to the second problem. What can Rachel do when you're forced to defend? I seriously think I've gotten guard crushed more times in one night playing Rachel than in all of my time playing Ragna combined. I've tried to sneak in a 2A, 5B or 2C in between block strings when being pressured, but a lot of times I end up getting snuffed. I guess this has to do more with knowing frame data.

Finally, I get that when you play Rachel there's a lot of improvisation involved based on stuff like wind, meter and location. I'm trying to get myself into thinking about what to do once I land a hit.

For example, I hit confirm 5B, 5C midscreen. What do I do next?

Do I have 50% meter and 1 wind and my opponent is one of the characters you can do the 236B, 5A, 5B on? Yes > do BBL combo.

Do I have 50% meter and my opponent isn't one of the characters that I can use the above combo on? If 3 wind, do the 3C, 8D > lvl 2 2C > blah blah BBL combo. If not enough wind, do 3C > pumpkin/frog okizeme combo.

If no meter, do 6C corner carry combo into 3C > pumpkin/frog okizeme.

Sorry if this is a vague question, but is there some kind of logic or something to determine what is the best thing to do based on these situations? Thanks in advance.

These kinds of problems you are facing all have answers that eventually come from experience.

It all depends on what you want at that moment. I corner carry no matter what. I only really go for max damage combos if I know it will kill. Otherwise it is much safer to go for an easier combo that ends in okizeme.

A Rachel getting guard crushed is actually pretty common since she doesn't have many options once someone gets in on her and they start their pressure. 2C is one way of keeping your opponent from pressuring (it's also risky). It also increases the chances that your opponent will either dash in and stop early to bait chair or they will want to throw you out of chair if they predict you will want to do it.

If you find yourself defensive bursting you have to keep in mind you lose out on primers (this may be the case if you get Guard Crushed a lot since you are forced to block once pressured and you want to burst at times). This is very important because often times you will start to see your opponent using more of their primer breaking moves after you use a defensive burst. For example, against Ragna you might start to see more random GH / random DS. Anticipate this and counter appropriately.

Regarding Rachel and defense, I feel it's especially important to not Green Burst recklessly, with her low GPs. Impatient rage bursts aside, I try to use Gold Bursts more with her. It can be a good reversal if you do it during a hole in the opponent's pressure (plus you can go into a combo if it hits). If they bait it and block you're still at frame advantage so you can escape or attempt to mount an offense of your own.

Oh yeah, don't forget about Counter Assaults when you have 50 meter. They can be a good way to get out of pressure, just don't get predictable with them because they can be baited.

Every Rachel mainer should hate mirrors.

If serious, then I do hate them. Otherwise, I just try and mirror my opponent exactly. Makes it kind of fun till I lose track of time and get timed out.

Xerlic: You seem pretty knowledgeable on a lot of rachels stuff already, lol. (WARNING! INCOMING WALL OF TEXT) First, approaching and zoning. Well, you have the approach part correct, get in once you have George and/or pumpkin out. That's all there is to it, really. Being able to keep either out for awhile to condition the opponent, regain wind, and steer them to the corner makes them (and you) all the more scary. As for zoning... I'd love to give my input on how I like to zone, but imho, you can find no better words of wisdom than of that in kro's old guide (if someone would kindly link him to the Rachel bible, I can't do all that nice stuff from this phone QQ), and what I think would only be reiterating what is in that bible because it is that good. Now, defending. Rachel is possibly the most versatile character in the game. Lol, if she had better defense she'd be like dizzy alright. Reload dizzy, lol. But anyway, truth is... She has no dp and her moves are really slow. In the previous games ib was so retarded that most characters with poop defense were given leniency: but in cs2, there is no such treatment. If you cannot block, a good player will destroy you. If they like breaking primers, tough titties bro, you're just out of luck. You have to make use of your momentum, whether it be offensive or defensive, and more importantly you can't fuck up. Yeah, its vague but that's how it is. You just have to know, with Rachel, that such offense conlmes with a price, but all hope isnt lost: A lot of rachels do not use wind to its fullest potential, its not just for throwing cute frogs at unprepared foes. Someone rushing you down? Super jump and dash away with d! There are so many practical uses for wind that we haven't used or discovered yet, especially as a defensive tool, and I encourage you to find ideas and hopefully share with us one day. Otherwise you just have to guage the situation and act accordingly, but her best defensive tools seem to be 2a, 2c, and me (td). Last thing to end this wall of text, as said before me, everything is really just based from experience. Pretty much, you don't seem oblivious to how she plays, and I strongly feel you will definitely get her down if you take time to reflect on your matches. Rachel can be quite unforgiving if you mess up, but all in all the reward of playing her is like no other, imo... Yea. :eng101:

@ Xerlic- Don't forget stuff like using wind defensively. If you have pumpkin out, you can use it to discourage people from approaching. If you get knocked down, you can also do neutral tech 5D to get away. In some pressure setups, you can super jump or super jump + wind to escape. Counter assault is also very valuable for Rachel since she doesn't have any legitimate reversals.

As for Hazama, my general experience is to use an opportunity for when he whiffs a chain to put out rods. You want to try to discourage him from attempting to pressure you full screen with chains since it can be pretty annoying. A whiffed chain is also a good opportunity to get in with wind and wind also fucks with Hazama's movement a lot. CS2 Rachel's movement with wind is extremely good, so make sure to take advantage of that.

If you have pumpkin out and one wind, it's actually pretty easy to approach most characters by jump/airdash + winding yourself forward. Or, you could just dash forward with wind and pumpkin (though this is not recommended on someone like Lambda who can just 5D you for trying).

Another general tip is most guard crush strings have points where you can get out (either they're slow in start up or they end the character's block string and said character has to try to restart pressure). For example, Lambda does Spike Chaser, you can super jump over it because it has slow start up. An example of a move that ends pressure would be Bang's Super Crash.

Rachel is kind of difficult for new players to get used to because she's a character that has a butt ton of options due to her wind mechanic, so it can take a while to get used to it. Best way is via experience.

Will there ever be a BB game apart from CT when the announcer can pronounce Rachel's name properly? The funniest one yet is Lacher Awkward, or Lacheru Arucardoo.

Will there ever be a BB game apart from CT when the announcer can pronounce Rachel's name properly? The funniest one yet is Lacher Awkward, or Lacheru Arucardoo.

I always hear Lacheru R-tard.

Only if there was a B set where instead of the character names, it's Rachel calling the characters insults.

For example (going off of names she used in story mode/arcade):

Ragna = Idiot

Jin = Shameless Dog

Bang = Disgusting

Only if there was a B set where instead of the character names, it's Rachel calling the characters insults.

For example (going off of names she used in story mode/arcade):

Ragna = Idiot

Jin = Shameless Dog

Bang = Disgusting

Ragna = Fool

Bang = Sweaty Filth

Arakune = Regular Filth

*shrug* Don't know what she'd call Litchi, Tager... or any good short names for characters like Carl...