Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Stormlocke

Robo vs Order Sol

Matchup Statistics

Japanese Ranking: 4.5-5.5 in Hos' favor.

Openers:

Okizeme: Opponent's tension is below 50% = 5p

Opponent's tension is @ or above 50% = 5p

Punishes:

Counters:

Anti-airing:

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy:

Char specific details:

Member Submitted Info:

Originally posted by: Chojin

This match is super annoying.

The three biggest problems Robo has against OS are:

1) Robo Ky lacks a safe, reliable anti-air move, and OS has probably the best air to ground game of any character. OS will jump in at you with j.H, and there's really nothing you can do about it. 6P will lose to j.H with CH every time, so don't bother with it. Your only hope is to get an early 2H, but that's really risky.

2) OS is much, much faster in Robo in every way. You are more or less totally boned after blocking anything, since his 2S will beat any retaliatory move you might want to do. You'll be hard pressed to do *anything* after a blocked Rock It (OS will beat anything you try with 2S) or a bandit revolver (OS will probably do j.P to avoid the throw and you can't do anything about it).

You'll have to get used to staying in the corner, because OS will put you there often and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

Your best tools to use against him are:

1) IB. Do it at much as possible because you'll be guarding most of the match.

2) Meaty 5P or mid-range lvl 3 bazooka on oki. Always do lvl 3 bazooka if you have the tension (lvl 2 can work too, but the distancing is trickier). Otherwise, use a meaty 5P; it will avoid his DP every time, after which you can jump and aircombo or DP to CH the charge cancel and do a big combo.

3) 2H. It's risky, but it works unusually well against OS because of his wide air hitbox.

4) DP (+ super). Again, it's risky, but you have to play risky if you want to win this match. You can IB + DP in a number of spots, like block string into Rock It.

You *are* going to get hit a lot in this match, but that's OK, since OS does crap damage (mostly) and Robo takes damage like a champ. You'll probably do fine as long as you concentrate on avoiding his big damage setups:

1) Gun blaze, combo

2) Corner throw

3) Impossible dust combo

4) CH FB

His damage from lows is *awful*, so preferentially block high and watch for the throw (that is, block low in neutral situations so you don't eat a FB, but if you're put into a high/low/throw guessing game, guard against the high/throw more than the low). It's better that you keep getting hit with 2K combos for almost nothing than 200 damage off of the impossible dust or throw. Also, do *not* throw out moves after blocking something unless you are *positive* that you will beat whatever OS does. He has advantage off of almost everything, so he can hit you with CH FB, no problem, and that leads to pain. Your best option is to keep blocking or jump away (1F jump if you can).

I agree with this matchup. Also take not that you shouldn't really Robo dash all that much in this matchup, since HoS has a lot he can do about it. I find that sticking to my guns(Quite literally) works quite well.

I've seen some robo players who have some success zoning with j.p a lot. If you have it out before OR does, it can CH him out of the air...but if you both do it at the same time, OR's j.p will win.

3) The worst he can do to you on the ground is a short combo ending with 2D, which isn't all that bad, all things considered.

This is completely untrue. If he has level 3 a simple 2K can lead to at least 150 damage. If he has 50% and lvl 3 he can simply do 2K -> 2D -> lvl3 savage fang and then combo you for 150+. Be wary of fuzzy guard set-ups too, because if he has the meter the low might be a Fafnir instead of a 2K and it's nearly just as fast.

Chojin was just simplifying it in that sentence, as a couple paragraphs down he talks about how it's usually worth blocking high and eating a 2k and then 100-200 damage that can follow. Personally I don't fight HOS very often, outside of the occasional battle vs ID/Saif. I do find that 2hs Knee Rockets are effective if you are smart with timing them vs HOS. If you whiff, like w/ most matchups though, it's your ass.

Ah, the post kinda came off like there was nothing he could do off of a 2K. Better to be sure :)

Getting hit a lot versus Order-Sol should equal death... Yes, he does terrible damage if he has no setup or resources, but if you let him get Level 3, a 5K or c.S can lead to 200 damage plus knockdown, and ridiculous shit like that. Though, if he's charging, he's not locking you down in the corner... Basically, if you have the opportunity, rush him down. If he has Level 3, any hit you take is going to be tons of pain. Even a 2K. Edit: Basically, saying that he deals terrible damage, or that you will get hit a lot and still have a chance, are pretty much false. As a side note about the awful damage off of lows thing, he can combo a 2D into an Overdrive, either for a Savage Fang followup combo, or just l3TR. Either will hurt a TON. (Of course, the enemy has to commit to this, but still.)

I wouldn't use matchup numbers unless they're from 6 months ago or more recent. Now lets see: For AA, remember you have an uppercut and at l3 there's no way for OS to avoid it except FDing it. Next to that, if it hits at the second hit for CH (which is very likely) you can take off half life dogura style. The fact you're just gonna die because he touches you is kinda an invalid statement. Ok, once he hits you, he's likely to gain momentum causing you to die in any form that the OS player sees fit. BUT once you get a knockdown on OS you can pretty much loop rocket him like any other character(be careful for SV though). At the same time, you can still decide to uppercut your way out of OS pressure and you got a much nicer FRC sitting on it too. Now OS damage, the default OS combos like the default Robo-Ky combos do about 80-100 damage leading into knockdown. Because its robo-ky that number might be slightly less, but not much. So after 4 or 5 times you're pretty much dead, not to mention that his countermixup (5D) actually does 150-170 easily. And only now I'm starting about l2 and l3. Someone here said that 2K-D combo would do enough damage, but if an OS is l3 I'd be more on the look out for 2D l3BHB AC because that goes into dustloop, shaves off 200ish, goes into knockdown and if blocked he gets the same mixup opportunities that robo-ky gets from his l3 rocket, which he can convert into knockdown, get l3 back and retry. And when using l3 his favored overhead is l3BRP which has (CC) fafnir as counter mixup, because the timing between the 2 is very narrow they both have to be guarded on reaction and cannot be option select guarded. Throws don't do 200 damage, they can do 150 at best unless tension is being wasted. Considering its Robo-Ky we're talking about it probably does only 130. On a finishing note: I don't know what moron keeps flying at you through the air every time, but against a good OS you might actually have to zone on the ground. If this occurs, be careful for fafnir as that thing always hurts, also be careful for random stuff like 2H since it tends to beat nearly any crouching normal and robo-ky seems to have added CH state frames to his. Now if you're in the air all the time instead of him and you want to keep it that way, be sure not to get hit by GB.

One thing that really gets on my nerves is when Robo doesn't get up when hes supost to. Always jackes up my oki combos :blue:

The match up is pretty simple for robo ky...just a general i would say block most of his attacks and IB if you can or green guard to push him back...and just watch out for his 2hs overhead and u can win the match....once he has been pushed back a lil bit think of an escape out of the corner by superjumping dash....shoot some TN air rockets or use Farslash or 6p if he trys to run in again...

a few (perhaps obvious and unhelpful) things I've noticed when playing OS against robo: - 2H seems to work pretty well vs. air dashing in - DP/super is godly against OS's pressure strings - 6P wrecks BRP (if the shots land before the sword is drawn) and rockit - horsie will beat fafnir at max fafnir distance. otherwise it's a clash or a trade - air missile at random is really punishable because of OS's run speed. TKing it would probably solve this though - I'm frequently able to TR through the bazooka oki, which I'm assuming happens when the oki's distance/timing is slightly off mixed with TR's invincibility frames. the cooldown on bazooka is long enough for robo to get hit, which becomes really costly at lv2/3

2HS requires predicting and if you predict wrong you're fucked. It's good when you get it, it's bad when you don't. RO is BEST off blocking if you aren't 100% sure you'll get your AA. 6P will work against things like Rock It, BRP, but will lose painfully to 2S. Also, I doubt bazooka oki will work against Level 3 TR, I need to test that, but it can go through Sol's gunflame completely if that gives you an idea of the invincibility window.

a wakeup with tyrant rave is pain in the ass :< in has a ton of invincybility frames in its startup. Any okizeme just goes trought it :< I just usually just try watch how much tension does he have so it don't get me off guard. Tyrant rave is pretty annyoing allso beacuse it really cant be punished. So is it that wise to allways use the bazooka as okizeme? (Sorry for my bad english)

So is it that wise to allways use the bazooka as okizeme?

You'll want to use 5p/Standing Punch as Okizeme like it says in the first post.

In Chojin's post he advocates the use of mid-range Level 3 Bazooka, which can be less safe than your typical 5p.

Good luck w/ the matchup, it can be tough!

Both bazooka oki and meaty 5P can be reversal GB'd. In the case of bazooka oki, if you wait a moment before starting pressure/mix-up you can punish the GB attempt. In 5P's case, you're usually stuck guarding the reversal GB flame and you lose initiative. An earlier 5P (whiff) into Lvl3 DP works like a charm to punish reversal GB though. :eng101: If HOS is trying to get in from mid/close range via jumping, punish the inevitable j.P spam with either a neutral jump or jumping back j.P/j.S. Enjoy your tasty damage. Just like vs. Ky, HOS' 6P shuts reversal shoryu down. Unlike Ky, you are not completely boned should this occur. Most of the time you'll either clash or completely whiff each other, with DP FRC making such this reversal attempt relatively safe. DP FRC j.S is relatively hard to punish for HOS at that range (I believe only HOS' SV and possibly j.K will beat it out); anything else will be CH. Aside from what was stated concerning HOS' damage output solely with some Charge/Tension, you have to add in the effect of the guard bar being cranked. As mentioned earlier, you'll be guarding quite a bit against HOS' pressure, and all that guarding will eventually build up a decent amount of bar for even more pain should HOS happen to break your guard. That simple Lvl2 RI combo started off a 2K that normally does 120 damage suddenly takes off half your life. That's not nice feelings. Robo's awesome tanky defense mod goes out the window with guard bar factored in. Long story short: it doesn't matter who you're playing, getting hit by HOS hurts.

Both bazooka oki and meaty 5P can be reversal GB'd.

formerly and I were wondering last night if this would work. I'll have to try it out next time. robo's oki is the death of me

Ok I can't believe I am typing this but I keep getting owned by OS' charge burst thing because it keeps beating my robodash. Any attack I do seems to get owned by the burst, so I assume I have to beat it since it's pretty negative frame advantage on block. The problem is I don't know how to punish it because the range on the burst seems pretty big so I'm baiting it from pretty far away and so after blocking I am pretty far away from OS to do any big damage on him. And the bad thing is by baiting it he still gains a big chunk of charge meter. Any help?

Stop trying to robo-dash OS's charge-burst. It's what you get for abusing robo-dash, lol. If OS starts charging while across the screen, there are several options: -lay down a mat and wait. Think of it as him giving you time to build your tension! Of course, he's dangerous with his lvl3, but sometimes it's worth the risk, especially if you're confident you can read your opponent. -TK missiles. This essentially forces him to stop charging, and you want to TK missile because if you hop up and do them he'll run under the missiles and get under you, which is BAD. -lvl 3 horsie. It's fast enough that OS can't charge-burst it on reaction, especially at mid-range. You'll either get a clean hit or force him to block. -charge towards him! This is basically playing chicken. Are you going to FD-cancel (or 5p-cancel!) your dash, or are you going to robo-dash? Is he going to charge-cancel or charge burst? There are multiple outcomes, but in the event you manage to block his charge burst, whether you can punish him or not depends on your spacing. The thing is, OS is going to gain lvls as quickly as he loses them. Stop him from charging if you can, but don't kill yourself over it. Charge-cancel is a huge part of OS's mind game, and it's easy-come, easy-go.