Sign in to follow this  
HexaNoid

[CSE] Noel Vermillion Critique And Self-Improvement Thread

Anyone have anti-air tips on dealing with characters that have long range jump-in attacks like Ragna? And if the opponent likes to jump in a lot? Or if opponent jumps up when I ground dash in? What works best?

-backdash?

-2A (is it too short range)?

-air intercept with JA or JB?

Pretty sure 6a should beat most jump ins if you time it correctly, though it doesn't reach to far vertically if that's what you mean?

6A and 4D are your main options when dealing with an opponent jumping in. If Ragna is doing a high j.C, you can hit it with a 4D since 6A is really iffy here, but be ready for your 4D air confirm.

if you notice an opponent is jumping a lot as a means of defense, like as you said when you are running towards them, an air grab or a j.A will work wonders.

it doesn't REMOVE it, it just limits it to only being used for it's hitbox, which isn't a super great choice regardless, but can still prove useful on rare occasions.

Also, we can still AA Noel with it if she jumps in with j.C, which is silly.

i guess almost always but if your opponent is quick he'll still get a free hit confirm on a blocked AST regardless so i suggest blocking immediately if this is the case otherwise it wouldn't really matter just try it anyways

I think he might be talking about the assault through > 446C combos?

When exactly should I try to backdash after AST?

I haven't played in quite a while, but I remember my biggest issue being backdashing too early. If I were you, I'd wait to see the wallbounce happen, then quickly input 446C without waiting for the dash to come out. Noel's sprite will not be able to catch up with your input, so don't wait until you see the backdash before you input 6C. I guess. Just remember the most important thing is to get a feel for AST's recovery time. If you're having trouble with that, I suggest hitting the training dummy with AST while holding 4. The time it takes for Noel to begin walking backwards is the timing for AST's recovery.

Do you guys have any advice when fighting Tsubaki? Its really hard for me to figure out how to punish her stuff. Everything she does looks the same.

Being able to identify where her pressure ends can be helpful. Any time she charge cancels she will almost always be at frame disadvantage so knowing when to press buttons to stop her from continuing pressure is good. The only blockstring that would leave her at frame advantage after charge cancelling would be after a 6C. Tsubaki has good pokes in comparison to Noel, notably 5B. I've heard people mention that her 6A/B startup look similar but I guess it depends, if you have trouble with them use training mode to help distinguish them. Also, pay attention her install gauge. If she catches on to the shift in pressure if she ends her blockstrings with special attacks, she can easily frame trap you by cancelling into any D variant of her special attacks which will at most times make her safe.

Edited by Alpha152

No it doesn't. you can execute this just standing next to your opponent. running or micro dashing into this works but its not necessary. doing so helps making sure that the 6C part doesn't whiff on some characters after 6A. if its not working you're probably not close enough on your opponent. is there a problem with doing the combo?

I almost always microdash that combo. The key words that Lith said "if you're close enough", which means it's generally a good idea to at least do a microdash.

No it doesn't. you can execute this just standing next to your opponent. running or micro dashing into this works but its not necessary. doing so helps making sure that the 6C part doesn't whiff on some characters after 6A. if its not working you're probably not close enough on your opponent. is there a problem with doing the combo?

yeah, i whiff the 6c a lot.

I almost always microdash that combo. The key words that Lith said "if you're close enough", which means it's generally a good idea to at least do a microdash.

so, im supposed to dash after 6a?

As an offensive tool? If you're not getting punished for using it, then there's no reason not to use it. However, if you find yourself relying on Drive in places where you should be blocking or respecting the mix-up/pressure you should learn to react accordingly without Drive. It's honestly the crutch that most Noel players rely on and consequently keeps them from learning how to block sufficiently.

So, I've finally come to the realization that one of the major things my Noel has always lacked that for some reason I've never been able to bring myself to do is RC things. I don't know why, or what causes me to think it or whatever, but for some strange reason, I just seemingly won't do RC combos and will only RC things if it's like a last minute "oh crap, stop!" thing to try and not die.

Well there are some situations where you need to RC into a good combo. for example you could do a pressure string like 5A > 2A > 5B > 2C. lets say the 2C hits your opponent but they are standing what you can do is confirm the 2C into 5C then RC into micro dash 6A > 6C > 6D > 236A > 66C > j.D > d.6B > d.6C > d.5B > d.5C > d.236D. this is just an example. another example would be if youre in the corner and you do 6C > 2C > 5C > RC > 66A > 6C(2) > etc. You should practice scenarios that require you to RC outside of just trying to be safe off unsafe situaions like a blocked 3C. I can help online today later on around 9:30 you can add me and ill try to help and explain further. im sure Luna can further explain since im in a hurry gtg to work lol.

Sign in to follow this