Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

viren

[/] Slash Johnny Matchup Thread

The 3-piece shouldn't really be an issue unless you're playing really recklessly. Yeah they feed into pressure on FRC and they combo from pretty far out but you shouldn't be getting hit by them except in combos.

As for Baiken, the great thing about Johnny's game in this match-up is his range. The MC pretty much wrecks her counters. CD"s right though, use one poke to MC, not two or three. I play a good baiken consistently, and I've found MC'ing ito a IAD will pretty much force them to think twice about countering, which is where the tick throw game comes into play. Also, any time you MC a poke, do it with slash. I've found that baiken's tend to banzai run a lot against johnny, simply because it's one of her only ways to get in due to his superior poking range. The low mist finer stops this strategy completely. Stay on the ground, and you'll be fine. Don't just IAD, because baiken can j.s, j.d you pretty much on reaction. You can also TK ensenga to actually beat the sakura counter, not sure if it's 100% though, but it works pretty consistently. I'm stuck a little bit on the Sol match-up. I think i'm just too intimidated by VV lol. I usualy cancel my offense short a lot because of it, and waste some momentum. I love jackhound in this match-up however, the ability to avoid gunflames with an offensive move is something hard to pass up. I don't however like using mist as much in this match-up as others, I would honestly rather go for the quick, guaranteed oki game that you can get from spamming a coin or two when sol is getting up. I don't know, but I feel I need some help in this match-up.... Also, Slayer. I didn't realize how iffy it was to 6p his j.hs. That really threw me off. Although, I did remember how easy it was to airthrow it, which I personally think is the best way to counter it, well, besides VV. I like simply using the high MF to kill his IAD, but slayer probably shouldn't be doing that anyway, so.... Mappa punches give me some trouble, but not as bad as under pressure. I hate the mix-up off of under pressure. I read that you can airthrow 6k!?!?!?!!?! How reliable is this??? Any slayer help would be great. Oh yeah, and he has me scared to poke because of 2hs..

I'm stuck a little bit on the Sol match-up. I think i'm just too intimidated by VV lol. I usualy cancel my offense short a lot because of it, and waste some momentum. I love jackhound in this match-up however, the ability to avoid gunflames with an offensive move is something hard to pass up. I don't however like using mist as much in this match-up as others, I would honestly rather go for the quick, guaranteed oki game that you can get from spamming a coin or two when sol is getting up. I don't know, but I feel I need some help in this match-up....

My friend Jake plays a really fuckin solid Sol, and what I learned from playing him is to 6p and air-throw... a LOT! This more or less eliminates Sol's iad pressure bullshit. Also oki is the better option, don't use mist/fog/whatever much since Sol can just VV the fuck outta there. Backdashing is also really good against most of Sol's normals... cept his god damn 5k cause it's 2 hits :blue:

...that is all.

By Jake do you mean R0b0t? Thanks for the advice, depending on distance, is it still unsafe to try and backdash sol's 5k? It's a great normal, but does it have that much range to catch Johnny's backdash? That's the bullshit -_-..

My friend Jake plays a really fuckin solid Sol, and what I learned from playing him is to 6p and air-throw... a LOT! This more or less eliminates Sol's iad pressure bullshit. Also oki is the better option, don't use mist/fog/whatever much since Sol can just VV the fuck outta there. Backdashing is also really good against most of Sol's normals... cept his god damn 5k cause it's 2 hits :blue:

...that is all.

No, plant mist, who cares if he can VV out. Why the hell would you always eat VV after setting mist, lol. Think of it this way- it's just oki that happens to be unblockable anyhow.

Set mist, do your baiting things... who cares if he blocks your trickery, he still has mist on him so unblockable and he dies anyways.

Airthrow doesn't work against Sol IAD strings if he sticks out jS early enough.

And K being a 2 hit move isn't the problem, the problem is Sol tends to do it really deep. If Sol players are starting their offense with K close enough that you can't backdash it... try blocking lol. Not like it hits low or high or anything. Blocking is severely underrated in the US. Give it a whirl.

I see what your saying CD. But I do have to say that backdashing might actually be worth the risk against sol if it's actually successful, due to the fact that if you do block sol's 5k, you can be damn sure that's not going to be the only thing your going to have to block....but your right, blockign is something americans tend to bypass completely. Also I will start using mist more frequently against Sol. Your right dude, there's no reason to be THAT intimidated by VV.

By Jake do you mean R0b0t?

Thanks for the advice, depending on distance, is it still unsafe to try and backdash sol's 5k? It's a great normal, but does it have that much range to catch Johnny's backdash? That's the bullshit -_-..

No, by Jake I mean Toiyet (part of team SERIOUS).

And I dont think I've ever backdashed Sol's 5k, so don't try it lol.

yeah dude, go for mist everytime.....plus, go straight into MF stance after mist. I would say you can just bait VV and punish, but if Sol has tension to RC, then you lose your advantage. If he whiffs VV, there's no way he can do anything about it. Also, sol doesn't really have anything scary besides 2S and bandit revolver KD into GF oki. Your range and combo ability usually keeps his rushdown toned down a bit. But he does have the ability to run around all day...=/ Tage, if you wanna beat mappa, use mid MF's. But you gotta hold it and backdash before you release it. yes, you can airthrow his 6k, but it's only useful if you can predict it/IBing the gatling before. Under pressure, do you mean Undertow(632146p)??? If so, undertow sucks dick. As soon as you block it, you can input commands. 5k-2D usually catches opponents by surprise. don't worry about 2HS so much....Yeah he will punish you for poking/rushing down wrong, but if you varie your offense, you shouldn't see it so much. I must agree with redbeard, Chipp or anyone with good mobility is a PAIN in the ass.....=(

against dizzy. i find that because i am so used to back dashing out of stuff i get tagged by her 5hs a lot. that thing has pletny of range so i guess the key is to be more patient and wait for her to throw out moves that have fast startup but bad recoveriese (ie 2h, hs) then counter with jh rc into sexiness.

He's not talking about Dizzy poking with H (which is a really bad idea) but getting hit out of backdashes by her H... which makes no sense to me since that would really only happen if you were to backdash a throw attempt and usually that'd entail eating a 6H, but I dunno how your local Dizzys work so shrug. I've started backdashing a bit too much so I can kinda empathize with that, though. Patience goes a long way... though Johnny can bully Dizzy with pokes all day and force her to commit to really risky moves. Sometimes those moves just hit you for no good reason and then you could lose, though =/

Against ABA, combo her regular form. If in Moroha mode, block. If she's a decent distance away, ch her air rushes with MF to get knockedown. If you get ANY hits on a ground combo, end it with a close 2D->mist. There's 2 knockdowns if you hit her w/ low MF. If you start getting into a groove against Moroha, play keep away w/ her regular form to get her to use a blood pack. If you see ABA is in Moroha and almost out of time... stay away from her and let her use a blood pack to regain life (better than letting her combo you to get her life back). Eventually your opponent will be out of blood packs. mist then mistfiner all day for guaranteed win. I think that if you're fighting an ABA, you will be in for a long match, don't get impatient and try to close range her in Moroha mode too much. You gotta outlast her. Also, NEVER iad her when she's in Moroha mode, this eliminates a lot of problems for you that she is waiting for.

hi guys, what can one do when facing a sol that does gun flame frc, p, into wildthrow or p, into 2d rc combo mixups? or rather, which part of this blockstring can i IB to counter? so far i have had decent success mashing 2Ps but that can only go so far before the VVs come. thanks,

Against ABA, combo her regular form. If in Moroha mode, block. If she's a decent distance away, ch her air rushes with MF to get knockedown. If you get ANY hits on a ground combo, end it with a close 2D->mist. There's 2 knockdowns if you hit her w/ low MF. If you start getting into a groove against Moroha, play keep away w/ her regular form to get her to use a blood pack. If you see ABA is in Moroha and almost out of time... stay away from her and let her use a blood pack to regain life (better than letting her combo you to get her life back). Eventually your opponent will be out of blood packs. mist then mistfiner all day for guaranteed win.

I disagree. You have pokes that are about as good as ABA's and damage output that matches hers, BUT you don't lose life to do your combos. So unless you can 1-hit off a poke into combo, just do a big damage JI DB FRC combo. She has options if you just do 2D XX mist, and you've done like no damage. If you can JI DB FRC combo her (better yet, into 1-hit) then you've done a ton of damage on top of however much she hurt herself trying to combo you.

It's more important to get a lead and land a coin on ABA when she's in normal mode, and force her to transform into Moroha mode via mid/fullscreen bloodpack... fighting her in Moroha mode isn't impossible, though. Seriously Johnny does way too much damage to be passing it up for a chance to maybe knock her down again, since if you just do unblockable L2 MF to knock her down, you have no coin (ie. no big damage opportunity when she reverts).

If you're going to base your game on knocking her over (Johnny doesn't really NEED to, per se) then get the glitch down and save yourself a lot of grief.

thanks a bunch. altho the sol player never attempted to do a wild throw this is nevertheless good learning material.. at least for the tk ensenga mixups he does. while JO is mcing away infront of sol, cant sol just do someting like 2d and CH him rit then?

thanks a bunch. altho the sol player never attempted to do a wild throw this is nevertheless good learning material.. at least for the tk ensenga mixups he does. while JO is mcing away infront of sol, cant sol just do someting like 2d and CH him rit then?

Look more closely. He tried to do a Wild Throw but the johnny knew he was and so 2HS the first time. The Sol player was alot more cauious from then on and so ever attempt failed because Johnny knew it was coming

I disagree. You have pokes that are about as good as ABA's and damage output that matches hers, BUT you don't lose life to do your combos. So unless you can 1-hit off a poke into combo, just do a big damage JI DB FRC combo. She has options if you just do 2D XX mist, and you've done like no damage. If you can JI DB FRC combo her (better yet, into 1-hit) then you've done a ton of damage on top of however much she hurt herself trying to combo you.

It's more important to get a lead and land a coin on ABA when she's in normal mode, and force her to transform into Moroha mode via mid/fullscreen bloodpack... fighting her in Moroha mode isn't impossible, though. Seriously Johnny does way too much damage to be passing it up for a chance to maybe knock her down again, since if you just do unblockable L2 MF to knock her down, you have no coin (ie. no big damage opportunity when she reverts).

If you're going to base your game on knocking her over (Johnny doesn't really NEED to, per se) then get the glitch down and save yourself a lot of grief.

You're right, big combos do work good on ABA despite her weight. Also, try throwing a coin after 2D xx mist, then a low mistfiner. If you got the range right, you will get knockdown OR get the opponent to burst/daa. Also, I was playing against my friend last night and ABA was sayin some weird stuff to Johnny. Like, he was in Moroha mode rushing me like crazy but i kept throwing mist out a second before. Every time I did a mist, ABA said "more". She musta said "more" like 6 times in this one match. Pretty freaky. Also, coins are good combo starters vs. Moroha.

Do you know the ABA 1-hit in the corner off a throw?

ohh thanks dark for pointing that out. frcJO: p,s,d,e works on ABA in the corner. i dunno about k,s,d,e tho.

Yo guys, don't want to go off topic, but I just wanted to say that you all have really helped me elevate my game to a really solid level. I actually took 1st at our last tournament, and I know I owe a lot of it to the answers and advice you guys gave to me, so I just wanted to say thanks :), and you guys are the shit!

thats awesome! congr to u. how about some vids of the tourney? its always interesting watching fellow JO boarders duking it out against other chars.