Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LeFartknocker

[CS2] Platinum vs. Valkenhayn

Disclaimer: A good amount of the information here is speculative, I STILL haven't gotten to play with Platinum yet (fucking PSN T^T), so any information pertaining to Plat's "X" can "Y" Valk's "Z" is based on vid matches and my knowledge of CS2 Valk. So please, if anything is blatantly wrong/innacurate, please feel free to test it out/correct me, and I'll update this post accordingly.

Matchup: 4.5 A little in Valk's favor considering the trouble his range and damage gives to Plat, but if you keep on him and maintain pressure you can wreck him (Valk has shitty health too, and less primers than we do :D)

Punishes:

First off, 236A is -2 on block now, so if they do it during a blockstring just IB (really easy) and punish, smart Valk's (probably) won't do this though (*sadface*) just keep it in mind

Any D-cancels can be jabbed (they'll try to condition you against this, but screw that :D).

If he's dumb and runs out of wolf meter, then go nuts :D his combos are practically non-existent.

Anti-Airing:

Beware the vertical range on his j.C, and know that his j.B can cross you up if the situation warrants it. As always Bat is a great AA, and 6A will more likely trade with his j.C (not sure, can't check D:), not sure on how his j.C stacks up to our 2C

On the other hand, Valk has pitiful defense, abuse this when jumping/IADing in... His 2C no longer has head invul, so it trades a lot more, but it DOES still have very good range and speed so be wary of your spacing.

Valk might also use his 6A as anti-air (depends, some do - some don't), this move is very punishable if you catch him doing it too early, so bait it and punish accordingly (Swallow Moon right above his face and CH him after it for brownie points :D), just be careful of the guard point it has.

Zoning:

Long story short, Valk sucks against zoning so if you get Bombs/Missiles and wanna troll him, go ahead. Throw in some Dream Sally's and Mystic Momo's and have a field day :D

Not really recommended though, consistent pressure is the far safer route over all but if you think you can get away with it (and get back in through his pokes) have fun, Plat would want you to...

Strategy:

Pressure. Pressure. Pressure. Valk's two big weaknesses are zoning and pressure, but Platinum really can't zone well, especially without Missiles/Bombs and even still those only last 3/6 set uses, so pressure is the way to go.

Watch out for his pokes, they have gdlk range, but they're slow, so be patient and once you get in, don't let him push you out. Work Plat's okizeme, Valk doesn't have much (if any) solid wake-up options so try to keep him pinned.

His only real defense without meter is 6A which can be baited, once he HAS meter, watch out for Counter Assaults (and if they're desperate they might try 632146D, just be careful because it has invincibility up to the initial bite). Otherwise they're likely to save their meter for RC combos and Distortion enders (which REALLY hurt so try not to let that happen).

Just watch your mixups because a decent Valk can score a CH 6A into serious pain + oki, and you don't want him on the offensive.

His blockstrings are short because he's not very fast, so look for holes if your being pressured. His mixup is downright scary... 236B, 3C, 6B, 6C and 5B > jc > j.C are his go-to mixup tools, so watch for those moves and punish accordingly.

When you're blocking the wolf, his 5A hits low, his 5B has head invul (it's a good AA too, so watch out for that), and watch out for his j.A and j.B overheads. his 236A/B and j.214A/B go through Dream Sally too, so don't even bother.

Item Strategy:

Hammer can wreck him, he only has 4 primers, if you are pressuring him (which you very much should be), mix in two Hammer hits, and break his ass, then the corner is more than likely a quick Mami Circular away.

Cat has good range, not sure how it stacks up against his 5C, but the j.D has more vertical range than his kick so you could probably CH him out of his poke and get in. Miracle Jeanne this item to show him what REAL range is :D

Missiles/Bombs are good cover/oki to get in for more pressure, he can't really do much against projectiles but dodge them, so go ahead.

Bat is a godsend on the defensive as always, just don't get predictable...

And the Pan's range in this matchup really makes it reserved for j.D mixups and combo extensions.

Char Specific details:

Other:

Ok, I have no idea about this match-up. I'm just sitting there eating pressure intill he does a special (I'm not sure which ones) and cancels into wolf so that I can mash 5A and CH out of it. He seems to be able to get in rediclously easy and playing footies with him suck. Usually he will sdj up into the air and transform into wolf and come in fast (with C, idk). People say use 2C, use 2C, however the wolf just goes straight through it.

I think this is more of a general problem with Valkenhayn not the match up itself though.

Ok, I have no idea about this match-up. I'm just sitting there eating pressure intill he does a special (I'm not sure which ones) and cancels into wolf so that I can mash 5A and CH out of it. He seems to be able to get in rediclously easy and playing footies with him suck. Usually he will sdj up into the air and transform into wolf and come in fast (with C, idk). People say use 2C, use 2C, however the wolf just goes straight through it.

I think this is more of a general problem with Valkenhayn not the match up itself though.

valk has no reversal without meter, so if you let him out of your pressure, the matchup goes back to being in his favor since you can't catch him

abuse 214D, make them fear just charging in at you. even if you just throw it out sometimes it'll be a nice way to discourage them, but make sure you don't get punished for it

remember that while in wolf form valk can't block, but he can change back into human at any time. abuse random mami if you think he's going to try and wolf out of your shit

remember that while in wolf form valk can't block, but he can change back into human at any time. abuse random mami if you think he's going to try and wolf out of your shit

It's unlikely we'll try and wolf out of your shit. We'd more focused on barrier blocking your stupidness and looking for the gaps to move out whilst still blocking in human form. It's when we have enough space we'd act like a jerk.

The risks and rewards with a random mami is definately not worth it midscreen without any meter. He can 2C CH you and you'd go near or even into the corner where you'd take big damage. If you're near the corner/or with heat fair enough but I still wouldn't recommend abusing it. If the Valk knows any better they'd know the distance or focus on mainly trying to get you from the air (in which you have 2C/214D for this). As with 2C in some cases you're better off using 6A depending on their approach.

2C can get you a better damaging combo on CH but the recovery is worse than 6A so if you miss you may be screwed. Valk has [w] 4C/7C to make up for this.

Don't abuse random mamis but be careful with it. You're better off just throwing party items around instead.

It's unlikely we'll try and wolf out of your shit. We'd more focused on barrier blocking your stupidness and looking for the gaps to move out whilst still blocking in human form. It's when we have enough space we'd act like a jerk.

The risks and rewards with a random mami is definately not worth it midscreen without any meter. He can 2C CH you and you'd go near or even into the corner where you'd take big damage. If you're near the corner/or with heat fair enough but I still wouldn't recommend abusing it. If the Valk knows any better they'd know the distance or focus on mainly trying to get you from the air (in which you have 2C/214D for this). As with 2C in some cases you're better off using 6A depending on their approach.

2C can get you a better damaging combo on CH but the recovery is worse than 6A so if you miss you may be screwed. Valk has [w] 4C/7C to make up for this.

Don't abuse random mamis but be careful with it. You're better off just throwing party items around instead.

okay i didn't really give a huge amount of context in my post so i'll let it slide you completely misinterpreted what i said and made me sound like a scrub

i meant when an over-aggressive valk just thinks he can wolf in at you or wolf away if he sees you running at him, you can 236B him fairly easily. yes it's not a great idea all the time and yes random mami is generally stupid as fuck, but if the valk is running away all day within mami range you should punish him for it

okay i didn't really give a huge amount of context in my post so i'll let it slide you completely misinterpreted what i said and mademe sound like a scrub

Well that's why. As you said you didn't give a huge amount of context.

If you explained properly in the first place I would not have interpreted it in the way that you think I did.

I do not have any intention to make anyone sound like a scrub.

Well that's why. As you said you didn't give a huge amount of context.

If you explained properly in the first place I would not have interpreted it in the way that you think I did.

I do not have any intention to make anyone sound like a scrub.

maybe next time instead of jumping to conclusions you should ask in what situations i meant to use that strategy :)

maybe next time instead of jumping to conclusions you should ask in what situations i meant to use that strategy :)

Or you could explain yourself in a orderly manner and not try to explain things in a lazy way. If you don't want to be mistaken, then don't let yourself be mistaken.

I agree with you both though, against an overly aggressive player, Mami can be a good tool because it'll catch them during approach, but it's not safe to use often, or unless you have an RC.

Switching between 6A and 2C for anti-airs is one of the biggest things in this matchup, I think. Valk is a very momentum based character, and he's typically in the air quite often, but the different ways he has to approach with the Wolf can make anti-airing him quite difficult for Platinum sometimes. 2C catches cross-ups and fake-outs, 6A catches straight forward approach, and 214D keeps them from taking the highest part of the screen or from running away.

Overall it's a fair matchup and it's really based around patience.

In regards to the context of your post, nothing you're saying is making much sense.

You make an error in your post stating one thing and then you expect me to ask in what situations you meant to use that strategy? You were giving symphony advice and it is your job to make it as clear and precise as you can so it's interpreted in the way that you want it to.

Anyone else can have easily interpreted what you said in the same way that I did.

First you say:

abuse random mami if you think he's going to try and wolf out of your shit

and then you say:

i meant when an over-aggressive valk just thinks he can wolf in at you or wolf away if he sees you running at him, you can 236B him fairly easily.

All you needed to say was something simple such as, 'If the Valk is within range and is constantly running around in wolf, consider using 236B to punish'. Why you didn't mention that in the first place I do not know, and all of this could have been avoided but you clearly chose the harder route.

If you don't plan to explain anything in a logical and educated manner to your fellow peers then you shouldn't bother saying anything at all. For all we know Symphony could have went on to using the Mami's at the most random times and then come back askin/stating that the method isn't working for him. Then it's likely you'll do to him like you did to me, which is to say something completely different, when you shouldn've been clear cut in the first place.

You are the one at fault, you have proven to be unreliable and frankly I don't even think you understand what you are talking about.

In regards to the context of your post, nothing you're saying is making much sense.

You make an error in your post stating one thing and then you expect me to ask in what situations you meant to use that strategy? You were giving symphony advice and it is your job to make it as clear and precise as you can so it's interpreted in the way that you want it to.

Anyone else can have easily interpreted what you said in the same way that I did.

First you say:

and then you say:

All you needed to say was something simple such as, 'If the Valk is within range and is constantly running around in wolf, consider using 236B to punish'. Why you didn't mention that in the first place I do not know, and all of this could have been avoided but you clearly chose the harder route.

If you don't plan to explain anything in a logical and educated manner to your fellow peers then you shouldn't bother saying anything at all. For all we know Symphony could have went on to using the Mami's at the most random times and then come back askin/stating that the method isn't working for him. Then it's likely you'll do to him like you did to me, which is to say something completely different, when you shouldn've been clear cut in the first place.

You are the one at fault, you have proven to be unreliable and frankly I don't even think you understand what you are talking about.

lmao

Keep the fight midscreen.

6A/2C obvious wolf cannons.

2B wolf walk. (Low profiles 5A.)

Keep this fight midscreen.

I cannot stress this enough, full screen gives him the whole screen to run around with.

Do not let him have it.

I can do a write up but the first page has all the info you really need.

It doesn't low profile wolf 5A but it does hit him far enough away if you go for it.

Oh do not approach wolf from the air...just do not.

Advice from Xie to me to you.

I can do a write up but the first page has all the info you really need.

It doesn't low profile wolf 5A but it does hit him far enough away if you go for it.

Oh do not approach wolf from the air...just do not.

Advice from Xie to me to you.

That should be a staple tip when fighting Valk as any character in general lol. 5B[w] will blow you up, that shit is close to being the best AA in the game.