Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[CS2] Valkenhayn Vs. Bang

Discuss the Valkenhayn vs. Bang match-up here.

Punishes:

Anti-airing:

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy:

Char specific details:

Anyone got some tips for this match up? Fought a really good Bang the other night and got my butt handed to me.

Nails kill any approach I try, and when I'm patient he just uses them for a free mixup which usually sends me in the corner to get blown up.

I honestly hate this matchup. The Nails are the ultimate offence against Valk. You can't Wolf effectively while he has the ability and desire to use DNails and when you don't use Wolf, you have to block Bang's pressure which easily some of the best in the game. Its a really frustrating matchup if you can't get the upper hand quickly. Your biggest goal is to get him to start blocking and try to just one hit into a knockdown, then go to town on him. He has no legit reversals without meter and his Guard Points are risky as all hell.

Dont' be afraid of Ashura in Wolf Form on Bang's wake up. If he throws it, you can do 4C on Reaction to avoid it and punish it. Have the balls to throw 6A in human form every once in a while and you might catch them off guard with it. The guard point has decent time and the hitbox on 6A is REALLY tall so if gets predictable with a jump in, throw it.

So I started learning Valk a few days ago, and my friend plays a pretty decent Bang, I can't get anywhere near him. The nails murder me, like he waits til I get in close with wolf and he gets me with poison nails all the time. Then the guard points get me or I can't get in close enough to punish if he misses. If I try to bait them with wolf (for example with [w]7C or [w]4C) I still get hit cuz Valk is so fast lol. Is there any tips on how to get in? Like generally, I can 6A his jump ins, but I can't confirm to anything. What's a good follow up if I get him on a 6A CH in human form?

A good hitconfirm for CH 6A would be CH 6A > 5C > j.B > j.214B > 5D > j.236A > j.236B > 5/6C > j.B > j.B > 5B > j.D~B > dj.B > dj.C. Gets some pretty nice corner carry and a knockdown.

I find that you have to be very patient against Bang when he has nails, since as mentioned above, they work well in limiting wolf movement. I find that it isn't always a bad idea to back off for a bit and play keep-away if you're having trouble getting in. Hopefully then you can dodge some of the nails they throw at you for their own approach, which makes it easier on you when you try and get in later.

Thanks Sahgren, I appreciate it! I'll try that out tonight and see what I can do. I've been watching a lot of valk vids and trying to mimic their movements, it's taking a little getting used to.

Also, I've taken to using 2C as an anti air along with 6A to stop his approaches since I keep reading that Valk can do huge damage off of it. Is 2C a viable option as AA, or should I stick with trying to confirm into that combo you posted off of 6A?

Getting into the territory of not actually talking about Bang. Ah well, Nick or Orion can always just move these if they feel it's necessary.

2C works as an AA, it's just that timing is a little tricky due to its lack of head invul. As far as AAs go, I tend to use 5A and 2C when in human (6As horizontal range is horrendous, so I don't use it against most of the cast), and 5B when in wolf. [w]5B is Valk's strongest option and is one of the best AAs in the game.

Thanks for the info Sahgren, and sorry, I didn't mean to stray off topic. One final question about this matchup: Is Bang's 2D pretty much safe on any [w]#C approach? Even when I can bait it, my friend seems to be able to 2D again and get me. I think it might be that it's either laggy or I'm too slow (or both), but it's hard to get in any other way. When I play defensively, I can't find a good break in Bang's blockstrings to get out of pressure. Especially in the corner. I have no idea what to do when Bang's got me there since I'm pretty much free to all of his attacks if I try to [w]#C or [w]66D away. Is my only option CA or burst? Again, I just started Valk, so it may be that I just suck, but I honestly have no idea what do to.

Also is there anything at all that can be done when he's got FRKZ, or is the match pretty much over?

EDIT: THAT is my last question, sorry lol.

If your friend is throwing a lot of 2D to beat your Wolf Form, you can bait it by setting up a usual situation where you would do something like 4/7C to avoid the 2D but instead doing a 3/2C, hitting the ground and hitting him with [W]5A. 2D loses to Lows so use a lot of [W]5A to keep him honest.

As for dealing with Corner Pressure, its hard as hell in all regards. Bang has easily some of the best pressure in the game while Valk has easily some of the worst defensive options in the game so its bound to be a shitstorm if you get stuck. You have 3 hopes mainly:

-Get a good read on a pressure reset and try to Counter him with a 6A. Risky as hell, but the trade is well worth it as you can trade places and put him in the same situation.

-Find a good place to try and Jump and dash away. If you find a good chance to Super jump and turn into Wolf and 4C out of there, its worth the risk, at worst, he'll throw you OUT of the corner with no easy way to pick it up.

-If you can IB his pressure decently, finding a spot where he resets his pressure and trying to poke him with either 2A or 5B is the safest option, but also carries the least reward. If you at the very least get him to block a 5B, Jump cancel it and get out of there.

Other than that, do your best to avoid the corner:v: Sounds hard as hell and it is hard as hell, but thats the matchup :3

Also is there anything at all that can be done when he's got FRKZ, or is the match pretty much over?

Once he gets into FRKZ, defense becomes even harder, as his mix up goes crazy and he gets a nice 20% damage boost. On the plus side though, he loses his ability to block without using barrier. If you can manage to get the momentum in your favor, the Bang will either get hit or be forced to use his GP to reversal (barrier only lasts so long). Really you're just hoping that you don't get put under pressure and manage to hit back at that point.

And don't be afraid to ask more questions. I'm just an annoying hardass at times. :kitty:

Thank you guys so much! <3 I'm gonna try and put your advice to good use >:D

Now all I have to do is get used to Bang's air-to-low and cross up bumpers and I should be all set n__n