Sign in to follow this  
TheSlyMoogle

Anji vs. Faust

I <3 doing combos on faust, you can do like anything you want and combo him for eons XD

depending on your screen position you can get a lot of funny stuff like 236H-K > 5P On > 236H-K > 5P On or stuff like 5S5H 236H-K 5P On > 236H-D > 236H-D > 5S On not to mention the otg with FB shitsu after On drops them in corner into DAA proof unblockables

Would you call this a decent match up in Anji's favor based on the combo options on Faust? Thinking about it, I can't really think of too much that would give Anji a hard time with this match. I would think Anji could deal with Faust's poke game pretty well, then the fact that Faust doesn't deal well with pressure, once you get it on you should be set aside from DAA and FB (FB can probably be baited into an Auto Guard) I think as long as you don't try to go air to air with him too often, you should rule the ground game. I think I'll run some tests on this match to attempt to contribute some more info. There seems to be a few matches with no info (Millia being one of the matches on my mind.)

yeah I have no idea how to fight millia really. I could say some things but it would be only a couple elementary things. as for faust, it's probably one of anji's better matchups. the hard part is getting in, but once you do that it's smooth sailing. random fujin seems more effective than normal against him for some reason, or maybe it's just me. defensively you'll be in for some pain if you can't block his 6H consistently on reflex

I usually try to be bold about attacks like Faust's 6H by trying to Auto guard it or Fujin it >.>; Might not be the BEST idea, but I'd likely try to Fujin it on reflex when I saw it coming out. Thinking about it, if you could Fujin it, I think that would be the best idea considering you can't always punish it since he can cancel 6H into pogo or item throw.

yea true, if you can react to something with fujin and it's something with bad whiff recovery, fujin will be free and good

Don't you dare HS Fuujin that 6H.6H rapes it 10 times over (and I'm pretty sure I've given Tiamat enough videos to support it).What happens is that you either get CHed because it's still active (you Fuujined too early) or you both completely whiff your moves.You can ONLY nagiha him if you did it.I'm not sure if it's even a CH,but it's just not a good payoff for that super risky stunt.

I guess I should give more input since Faust is one of my most common matchups...

Round start:

Fausts usually start off with 5K,2P,or involves jumping.The jumps can easily be caught by SJ jK and you start the match off already in his face.5K is when he's aiming for a counter hit since it knocks you all the way to the wall and then he starts his zoning crap.And 2P is his "safe" start where he just watches your first move.5K can be beaten by HS fuujin at the start,but nothing can catch 2P since it recovers too quickly.

Far Range (Out of HS Fuujin Range)

This is where Faust plays most of his zoning game.He'll usually throw out a random item and then try to catch you of guard with that super long range pogo stick stab thingamajig.If he's an experienced player against Anji,he'll also occasionally jump FD Cancel into jHS to keep Anjis down from SJing in.

Solutions: Running FD/SJ.Note that you might be pushed back to square one whenever,but that doesn't mean it's going to stay like that forever unless he's guessing your attempts right every time.

Mid Range (HS Fuujin Range,Out of 6S range)

Now that you've gotten closer,you have the option of "psychic" fuujin in his face.However,this should be used sparingly,since he still has range to deal with you.

Solutions: IAD,zone with shitsu,Running FD,SJ jD.

Poking Range (6S max range,5P max range)

This is where things get a little...messy.Both of you have potential pokes and threats at this range.Faust has his handy 5K,2P(poke),FB,he can dash up and start pressuring you or he'll just flat out jump and throw a bag at you.Usually at this range,there's an item that was just thrown out.Be aware of what it is and use whatever you need for the situation.Don't be afraid to lose a few steps.

Solution: 6S to poke,HS Fuujin,dashing 2D,jump backwards and IAD in,jump in,2S.

The rest is just close range and it's basically another character that doesn't have an "OH SHIT" move(well,maybe his poke your ass Overdrive and that FB which beats all lows).There isn't much else to it other than incorporating your own style into the pressure.

Edit: Old video of me vs a Faust

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qh6S4390NOI

Thanks for the info. I jumped into training mode yesterday to test the fujin vs 6HS to find exactly what you said. I had a feeling it would still hit because of how long the move stays active. I was only actually able to get a hit 1/10 times. The others were double whiffs or just plain me getting beat. I found it easiest to just auto guard it with 6K into K counter. I think that would be better than just blocking if you could pull it off on reaction. Unless the Faust has experience with Anji... then I think he can actually just cancel out of the attack once it is AG into pogo, item, or whatever that might beat a counter.

"A friend who plays anji sent me this in my pm cuz i was having trouble a little against anji and it did really help me understand as well as up my game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEAXJVdQxB0

This is how RF managed against ANG.Though ANG isn't the best of the Anji players,he's still has remarkable technical execution.

0:10- See what I mean about jumping in on Anji recklessly?

0:15- See how RF just pokes ANG out of Fuujin stance?

0:20- Another well placed 2P.

0:30- Here's the S extension punish I talked about.It's only if he immediately uses it though.

0:44- The 2K AA on the super jump in.

0:50- Again.2K AA.

0:57- 2P really owns Anji.

RF just defended his territory until he got a knockdown.And even then,he hardly approached Anji at all.Defend your own space.Make Anji take the heavier risks against you.And USE THAT 2P" quoted from dice in faust vs anji section.

Dude, if I knew someone who spammed 2P, I'd probably IAD into an Orb RC to On, or if they block attempt tick throw to reset pressure. Probably a little too risky (and maybe not rewarding enough), but if it works it's funny as hell. Still, nothing beats 2D into On.

Dude, if I knew someone who spammed 2P, I'd probably IAD into an Orb RC to On, or if they block attempt tick throw to reset pressure.

Probably a little too risky (and maybe not rewarding enough), but if it works it's funny as hell.

Still, nothing beats 2D into On.

Cant you use your pressure to make a frame trap with it for a low autoguard move? Just throwing ideas out there.

Cant you use your pressure to make a frame trap with it for a low autoguard move? Just throwing ideas out there.

Normally I'd say yes to Guard Point opportunities, but Anji's low guard points are just messy.

3K is only 1 frame (repetitive pokes means your timing has to be perfect), 3S is good (5-10) but useless for anything but low GP (unless you are pro and can cancel that shit, I can't :psyduck:), and 2H is way too late for poking moves (starts at 10)

I think in the hands of someone more experienced, it can (maybe) work out, but I personally don't think it's worth it.

3S is good (5-10) but useless for anything but low GP (unless you are pro and can cancel that shit, I can't :psyduck:)

There's actually a little trick I learned from AGing with 3s. Since the move slows down to guard the attack, it actually slows down to the frames where you would preform a 3s cancel. So during the GP you can cancel to anything else very easily, making 3s a viable counter (sometimes, maybe for very predictable attacks like Slayer 2D or something.) Usually when I use it, I will go from 3s GP to a 5S into combo. This might also help someone for learning the specific timing for a normal 3s cancel.

There's actually a little trick I learned from AGing with 3s. Since the move slows down to guard the attack, it actually slows down to the frames where you would preform a 3s cancel. So during the GP you can cancel to anything else very easily, making 3s a viable counter (sometimes, maybe for very predictable attacks like Slayer 2D or something.) Usually when I use it, I will go from 3s GP to a 5S into combo. This might also help someone for learning the specific timing for a normal 3s cancel.

Huh, might need to try that now, not that I can get even the normal cancel down:kitty: .

Small note..Faust's 2K (3 Hits) unlike vanila the second hit is low ..which mean when it used on oki it now are easier to auto guard the last two hits with 3S or 3K..

IIRC When Faust knocks you down and do 2K only last 2 hits will Hits / blocked most of the time..

Small note..Faust's 2K (3 Hits) unlike vanila the second hit is low ..which mean when it used on oki it now are easier to auto guard the last two hits with 3S or 3K..

IIRC When Faust knocks you down and do 2K only last 2 hits will Hits / blocked most of the time..

It's generally best to just guard low after KD against faust anyway. His overhead shenanigans are generally not that great against Anji, and his best bet is to use 2k after KD and try for a mixup from that. You have better options than trying to autoguard with 3s or 3k if you just guard and prepare yourself for what's next.

Sign in to follow this