Sign in to follow this  
Kyle

[VS] Simple Q&A thread

This thread is a place for people to ask simple questions.

Only rule is you should quote the question when answering.

I'll start:

How do I punish Demitri's DP?

How do I punish Demitri's DP?

Demitri & Victors DP's have 1-frame landing recovery. You will not get reliable ground punishes. You have (2) realistic options.

1) Punish him in the air after the active frames and before he lands. Be sure to chain to another move for extra meter. Example: 9J.hp, J.HK(whiff).

2) Most supers will fully connect against an airborn opponent. Block the DP & reversal super for a punish.

Edited by Kyle

What is the grappler like and can you link a few videos of him? I'd like to see what he's capable of...

The games primary "grappler" is Victor.

A few things on this:

1.) The game mechanics don't facilitate throws as well as Third Strike, GG, BB, ST etc. You will only be landing these when your opponent is choosing to block. Be sure to condition your opponent to stop jumping and hitting buttons before you attempt these set-ups.

2.) Every character has a command throw. Some are ranged, some are lunging and some are more effective than others.

Victors has some good tools to help commit your opponent to blocking. I believe his J.hp is one of the best air moves in the game.

Lastly, the best victor in Japan is called "Oboro". This is funny b/c another character (bishamon) has a secret boss form called "Oboro Bishamon". Hence this guy is soo godlike he makes Victor look like a boss character.

Here's a good vid of an effective Victor:

http://www.youtube.com/user/neojinbe#p/u/661/C7_f03vkBMo

This question isn't about the game per se, but pertains to using the ROM I have. Is there any way to set up a training mode on it besides just beating up player 2?

Edit: Nevermind, I found this link: http://vsav.mizuumi.net/wiki/Cheats

(For anyone interested, just save the file as it states (as a .ini file) in the Cheats folder, then load the game and its should be in the menu bar somewhere up top.)

My gameplay question is if I wanted to play Lilith and Morrigan, where should I start? I know Lilith is a weak character with just a few good moves with some frame advantage, and some decent crossups.

Edited by Mr. Kimura

As a person who has barely played Vampire Savior, what would be the most important things to practice or know as a new player coming into the game? Apologizes in advance if the info has been posted.

My gameplay question is if I wanted to play Lilith and Morrigan, where should I start? I know Lilith is a weak character with just a few good moves with some frame advantage, and some decent crossups.

This is Kyle's department but check here for Lillth stuff

http://vsav.mizuumi.net/wiki/Lilith

Basically learning how to combo into LI is a big thing and frame trapping. Kind of the same for Morrigan.

As a person who has barely played Vampire Savior, what would be the most important things to practice or know as a new player coming into the game? Apologizes in advance if the info has been posted.

Push blocking is a big thing. The japanese says that we don't do it enough. Learn how to do it cleanly and not to the point you will eat a counter hit from mashing.

Read up on that and the system in general here.

http://vsav.mizuumi.net/wiki/Tutorial

Also learn your combos and complete them. And play a lot.

Edited by Daddyneptune

If I wanted to play Lilith and Morrigan, where should I start? I know Lilith is a weak character with just a few good moves with some frame advantage, and some decent crossups.

If you are committing yourself to one or both of those characters you can start with learning the proper ways to punish into their super. (lp, lp, Direction your character is facing, lk, hp) Raging Demon basically. Morrigan's is called Dimensional Illusion, DI. Lilith's is luminous Illusion LI. You have 9 frames to input between each button EXCLUDING DIRECTIONS,

Punish examples include:

-2lk, s.hk©, Super : A great punish with a huge window to input the Super

-2lk, 2mp, 2mk, 2hp, Super :Corner only combo, very damaging

-9+lp, air block, Super : Their best Anti-Airs. I will further detail this later

The next example is IDEAL TOP LEVEL PLAY.

Hit confirming and buffering Demon's during frame traps. Frame traps are VERY VERY important to these two characters. This is because their mix-ups don't have frame advantage. They are lower tier b/c of this. Morrigan's dash has 12 frames before you can do anything, this is her overhead option. By abusing this you are causing your opponent to come up with answers such as jump out, counter poke & reversal. This means your opponent is not blocking and you will not land a mix-up. These two character have to condition their opponents to block. They do this by frame trapping with s.mk. This move is + frames on block. You can do ~4 in a row as a frame trap, if your opponent doesn't block or perfectly apply additional defensive techniques, they will get hit. You should be able to turn this poke into a super. Here's the input.

mk~lp~lp~towards* Did it hit?

Yes: lk~hp = Super

No: Repeat.

Lastly is knowing where the real mix-ups occur. I will further detail this out in the character threads once someone decide to start Lilith's. I will make the Morrigan's tho, just haven't gotten to it yet. =)

Edited by Kyle

As a person who has barely played Vampire Savior, what would be the most important things to practice or know as a new player coming into the game?

Here's my two cents.

-The game is fast.

-Knockdows can be rolled.

-Combos into a knockdown can sometimes be disadvantageous.

-Getting hit out of the air causes an invulnerability until you land. exceptions being most supers will fully connect against an aerial opponent.

-You don't get OKI (overhead/low/throw/bait) on your opponents wake-up. You are forced to guess their roll and attempt to stay on them. Unless their in the corner.

-B/c of the walk and jump speeds are so fast, the best OKI is after an aerial hit. This mean air to air, ground to air or a proper chicken block set-up all lead to an OKI (overhead/low/throw/bait) situation.

Edited by Kyle

I actually expected Sasquatch to be the local grappler, not Victor. What is the difference between them?

Also, since there are no pages for them on the Mizuumi wiki, I'd like to learn some more about Donovan, Huitzil and Pyron. They all seem to be zoner-like characters, and I may pick someone of them.

Sas has more grabs but he really only needs to uses the one that he can combo afterwards to get really big damage. Sas is about getting like 2/3 mixups and kill you via command grab or short hop tricks. Victor is alot slower than sas and requires you to play lots of footsies and tricks when you get in to land resets into a situation where you can space and get another reset if they dont block/ press a button at the wrong time or 360/720 them.

Donovan, Huitzil and Pyron are in vs2.

What is the grappler like and can you link a few videos of him? I'd like to see what he's capable of...

Further Victor info in addition to what was already said --

In addition to the mention of Oboro for or Japanese victor, but FLoE plays a solid victor (and sas sometimes) in some of the recent Savior tournaments.

Throws:

Victor has throws on MP, HP, and MK or HK (maybe both)

MP: Lower damage, but they flip upwards into the air and reset, so you can use this to mix them up on their wakeup. Usually your better option (Esp. when you are good).

HP: Higher damage, knocks down. Potential for pursuit followup.

Kick throw: I find these less useful, but they can be good for getting away or towards a corner because of how far he throws them.

Command throws:

His punch command grab is great. It can't be teched like a normal throw, so if you have a solid setup for it, it'll get em! Learn to set it up, but the game's pace means you have to really train your opponent to block and such.

His kick based command throw is techable, so mostly garbage.

Supers:

His 720 super (buttgrab) does massive damage and where you should be using your meter (or ES moves in some situations), if you can learn to set it up. Scrubby players like me mostly do this on jumpin or wakeup on a foolish opponent. Great players like Oboro will buffer it on a whiffed attack normal / dash attack.

His other super (the electricity) is pretty limited use, but has its moments. It has huge recovery though, and slow startup. The first part (the axehandle) can hit as well as the electricity that arcs out.

Other stuff:

His pursuit is much more limited than other characters, and very slow. It's not worth whiffing for meter like some chars. Still, some setups have a pretty much guaranteed pursuit/ES pursuit followup. I think this includes his GC, but I haven't played lately so don't remember.

His guard cancel is decent - not amazing, but solid, unlike the super slow ones that, say, Aulbath(Rikuo) or Hsienko have.

Like others mentioned, his j.HP is great. Neutral jump is a different version (but quite good hitbox too, and one frame faster startup I think) that knocks down on hit. Be careful of other characters with a really good jumping attack. j.HK is underrated (not as safe a hitbox as HP, but really subtly further reach) in my opinion. j.LP is good if you can predict them jumping and want to stuff them in air to air. Always chain to another air attack on contact after j.LP, generally - for meter or hits.

edit: he also has a command throw on all standing punches when in (one of his two) his Dark Force mod. It's fun as hell, but when you're new, it's gonna get you killed unless your opponent is new, because it has forced recovery when it ends, giving your opponent a free punish..

Edited by Fayk
additional note on DF+

d+kkk 1f landing time

It's also pretty shit because it doesn't really have any other useful properties and isn't that fast. At least I've never found good uses for it. I'm sure it'd be great against just the right low attack or something, but I mostly only ever use it as a gimmick setup for buttgrab or similar. Though I'm trash, so take that with a grain of salt.

Fun fact about 360 throw toward the corner: You can pursuit afterwards. Mp throw does more damage when mashed but hp throw with pursuit does more. D+kkk is used to mainly get close. So if you do c.lp c.lk c.MP c.MK c.HK then do d+kkk you'd be in a good space to at least hit with c.lk or see what they will do.

EDIT: They do the same amount.

Edited by Daddyneptune

I've wrote a tutorial that focuses on explaining the game, specifically to people who have a moderate-to-high amount of experience playing other fighting games. The best thing I can tell you, other than 'read it', is:

- Don't play this game like it's SFA2.

- Don't play this game like it's 3s.

- Or ST. Or Guilty Gear.

- Or Marvel. Or A3. Or anything.

Vampire Savior LOOKS like a lot of fighting games you may have played before, but even the most innocuous of things, like the role of fireballs in VS, are different from other fighters.

You can find the tutorial here:

http://vsav.mizuumi.net/wiki/Tutorial

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know; there's definitely a section or two I ought to update.

imo demitri's the best zoner. he's the only character that really makes everyone else work their way in slowly.

as far as oki, they all got good oki game.

characters with fast walkspeeds can make the tech strategic wakeups really ambiguous and slutty.

As far as I'm aware, Lei Lei is probably the best at zoning; and as for oki, I think Bishamon, and B.B. Hood are particularly strong. Hood just has dirty oki setups like standing roundhouse, or jumping round house. Bishamon's oki comes mostly form his ability to maintain pressure with a whiffed pursuit, as well as meaty unblockable ES Karame Dama. However, a lot of characters in this game have strong oki.

Every character does a bit of 'zoning', because it's hard to just walk (or jump) up and start killing your opponent. Thus, characters threaten their opponents aggressively, with relatively safe moves that either move them forward quickly, moves that knockdown, and getting resets anti-air normals.

There aren't really any characters that do zoning to win, like you might see in other fighting games. The closest thing you have to that in VS are Demitri, Victor, and Anakaris, because their zoning is more defensive:

- Demitri does fireballs and uppercuts (though, admittedly he has a dashing uppercut). He's got the Bat Spin, too, although that can be risky. His zoning game looks a lot like ST Ryu's on crack.

- Victor's safe attacks which knockdown don't move him very far forward, if at all. On top of that, he has normals that don't cause pushback, AND normals that cause resets even on grounded opponents. Thus, the majority of his zoning revolves around predicting his opponent's approach, and throwing out an appropriate normal to reset and knockdown.

- Anakaris has lots of extremely defensive tools which can be difficult to master, but when used in tandem can really make it difficult to approach due to the threat of being knocked down, or even just being evaded and countered: coffin drops, cobra blow, curses, tri-jumps, and anti-pursuits.

Keep in mind that, even though their zoning games are defensive compared to the rest of the cast, they all have an offensive game which they need to use in order to win. There's no such thing as zoning or turtling your way to victory in Vampire Savior.

I'd throw Aulbath in there, somewhat. While his dash pressure game is immensely better, he can be very annoying when the McFish player can zone you out right and makes you land on a poison or a sonic wave. But that's a real risk compared to other characters who have a better zoning game.

Although Demitri has your "shoto standard" zoning game, I think Lei Lei has the best overall zoning game, because she has two special moves (ES Gong and Projectile) and an entire Super that are geared towards zoning (LaoRai Tenshin [swords]). Other characters that can kinda hang back are Morrigan (somewhat) and Anakaris (somewhat). But as Skankin Garbage mentioned, zoning and turtling in Savior takes a sort of backseat to rushdown. Characters who can break zoning are more than capable of sheerly overwhelming overly defensive players by the speed and angle of their rushdown (Sas, Raptor, QB are the biggest culprits).

Sign in to follow this