Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lord Knight

[VS] Bulleta: Grimm's Fairy Tales (Little Red Cap)

The best Bulleta players have to confirm if the opponent is standing or crouching in an effort to go for the extended "dash jab" BnB.

Here are some mixups & situation which you can assume will always leave the opponent standing. Meaning, when this hits, go for the dashing jab BnB anyways.

- Against Victor & Bishamon, Bulleta st.lp hits them crouching = always do the "dashing jab" BnB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek7ebR20R9Y#t=3m51s

- A jump-in chain such that the first hit does damage & the second hit doesn't even have to be confirmed. Example j.mp (hits), j.mk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=110m29s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek7ebR20R9Y#t=3m45s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=101m21s

- A rising normal into an air chain. example: J.lk, j.mp, j.hp (Only exception is against Vic b/c J.lk CAN hit Vic crouching)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek7ebR20R9Y#t=3m38s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek7ebR20R9Y#t=3m58s

- Wakeup oki of walk thru cr.lk. The low opens them up standing and you are guaranteed LINK cr.lp, Rapid.st.lp, d.lp, cr.mpxxbasket

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=93m13s

- Ambiguous j.mk mixup. they are blocking high b/c they know it's an overhead attack, but really it crosses-up (or doesn't) & they get opened up standing. Example: j.mp, j.mk (whiff) j.mk (hits) land, cr.lp rapid st.lp, etc...

- the UB cr.lk setup. j.mp, j.hk (prox block), land cr.lk, (confirm if they are hit, if so they WILL be standing) LINK cr.lp, rapid st.lp, d.lp, cr.mpxxBasket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=18m40s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek7ebR20R9Y#t=4m44s

- Bulleta's dash is low. not low profile, but some high moves will whiff, knowing this you can assume people are standing & counterpoking w/ d.lp. Example: Anak snake arm, Qb's st.mp etc.

- Sasquatch's Ice towers recover standing= Dashing BnB on punish:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=25m58s

- Lastly, the only other real setup I see the "dash jab" BnB is from a dashing.mp, LINK cr.lp rapid st.lp. However, the d.mp CAN hit people crouching. This has to be confirmed for the extended BnB. If you want to be easy about it, you can always do d.mp, LINK cr.lp, rapid cr.lp, LINK cr.mpxxxBasket

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=109m55s

d.mp into 214 basket knockdown because often you won't be in close enough to do sako combos.

Non dash hoppers are forced standing when hit from a dash. The trade-off is that, when jousting, you won't be in deep enough to do an extended combo. 8 jumping vs a dashing Fish, etc into a falling chain can work to set up cr.lp lp.

If you approach with a double jump, after your second jump's startup do j.HP. As this is active forever, you can force proximity block on an unsuspecting opponent to keep them in place. Near the end of your fall, link a j.HK from the recovery of j.HP. This hits very low to the ground and forces BB's fuzzy guard set-up. Cr.lk, cr.lp lp d.lp cr.mp 214p

8 j.lp j.lk j.mk j.hk works on demitri. cool!

Bulleta vs Sasquatch:

• BB vs Monkey neutral is the biggest fight for a knockdown in my matchup experience. BB has no good reversal in this matchup (unlike Sas) and his pressure into mixup is S-tier. Play footsies until he does something dangerous. BB's mp will frustrate him. BB's rockets will frustrate him. BB's dash will frustrate him. Make him angry!
  • Against obvious shorthops from Cat/Dog I've successfully AA'd with Baa-chan 41236KK. Not much luck with Samskatch due to how high his hop takes him. AA obvious shorthops with lp or missile into reset oki. Watch out for bad sonic booms though. If he jumps your missile you :vbang:.
  • Don't make your double jump-ins obvious or your table's gon get flipped. He can challenge j.mp easily so rely more on cross-ups from jumpins rather than straight up j.mp into mixups. Low to the ground double jumps are good.
  • Jumping in and double jumping out is decent. He'll wiff hopefully ES ice tower, but even if he doesn't he'll get impatient.
  • Chickenblooooock. Use d.lp to punish Sasquatch's jumps, but chicken block to AA him as a rule.
  • If you get knocked down, have fun. Tech hit, block high by default. Sasquatches go low when you make them start thinking.
  • Sasquatches like to meaty with 8 j.hk. Techhitting will often put him at advantage as he crosses up from an already ambiguous setup. 8 jump and punish.
  • This guy loves jumping around so when you hit him with your command grab punish his future jump outs

Often when punishing DarkForce deactivation, it's inconsistent if the opponent is standing or crouching, we had a belief it was character specific. That was wrong. Turns out the player who is in deactivation can force the crouch or stand during their opponents punish. How? Just hold 1 or 4. Stupid right? Now, Bulleta can't do dash links combos to punish DF deactivation. Silly times... yeah

The secret's out. On DF deactivation the safest combo to go for is d.mp cr.lk cr.lk cr.mp 214p. The cr.lk still lets you confirm standing if they're not downbacking, so you can link a cr.lp into a dash link.

Theory fighting here, but it may be possible to time your punish off a jump in. J.mp j.hp to etc. The opponent will hold 4 to block the high and eat a full jump-in dash link. I'll try for it in matches. Of course it's hard to do in reality because punishing a darkforce in general can be difficult.

Played w/ it some more. There is absolutely no reason/way (I could muster up) to force standing on a DarkForce punish. the first hit on the punish hit's their deactivation animation = standing opponent. from there, they go into their crouching hit reel. = crouching opponent (If they choose). But seriously, why would anyone choose to stand and take a larger punish?

We tried using 1, 2 or 3 input to cross-up, run thru, fuzzy guard etc. This just seems like bad coding.

No Sir, I don't like it.

Well...this is super ultra max theory fighter...but I know that in ST for example, some characters have wider crouching hitboxes than standing. I really have no idea if this is the case in VS, or if there's any esoteric situation where it would actually matter.

Not to mention...I can't test this right now because I don't have my PS2 on me, but also in some games, crouching opponents take more damage. Can't remember if this is true in VS, although I doubt it. Both of these points are very theoretical and I can't currently test either; however, these are some points that might make it more attractive to stay standing.

Hey guys. I've been working on a Vampire Arcadia's 5th tutorial video with Kyle and another player from the Cinci scene. Knowing how to rock renda bonus is integral to Bulleta's gameplan imo, so I thought I'd stick a link in here as well as the video thread.

All comments are appreciated, thanks guys.

Useless Bulleta fact: When she does ground throw (6mp/hp), she lands backwards & has additional recovery frames turning around. You can first frame dash from landing and this force Bulleta to backdash at them.

We'd be happy to.

Just that your inquiry is very vague. Can you try asking a specific question or two or three? Only thing I know is BULLSHIT about this MU is her delta kicks b/c you cannot guard cancel against it & LK version is only -5f on block. Only true PUNISH I've seen to this is a "weak" TechHit on the kick before the last, such that Felicia get's pushed out enough for the last kick to whiff entirely and Bulleta can full punish starting w/ d.mp.

It's very strict tho.

Welp I forgot this forum existed. Are there new Bulleta players actually out there?

Felicia MU is annoying and, imo, one of BB's worst matchups. C'est la vie. Felicia can spam reversal/gc delta kick, can OS mash cr.hp to beat many close pokes and all throws, has a large throw box, can anti air you for free, and has an amazing sweep. To beat her you focus on ground footsies with her and 9 jump during block strings. You 7-jump chicken block her j.hp derp, cause they usually can't chain normals to punish chicken. You respect her space and don't throw bad missiles, for, like Sasquatch, you will eat shit for a jump-over missile. Felicia's jump arc is extremely effective at rush down as she also has a beastly short hop.

You must understand her jump arc, understand her hop range, and respect those spacings. Only challenge when you feel confident.

So how to run ground footsies? D.mp or stagger d.2mp, d.mk, run jab/short staggered blockstrings to bait out sloppy GC attempts. Try to confirm a hit with a dash, but there's no harm in 9 jump jab-short-strong-fierce chaining in on her after a d.mp. A delayed normal like j.hk can win vs her usual AA options, and the delay also screws up GC attempts. Dashing middle kick is your best bet for beating jump-outs while being safe from getting mashed on. D.lp has a better box, but she crouches under it and you'll prolly eat something wonderfully cleaver like a sweep.

If you have to do a big jump-in, j.mk it. J.mp will trade at best and she'll get oki on you. J.mk crossups are ambiguous and very very hard to anti-air. This is your best bet on getting in on her, especially if she believes she can AA you.

So you get a knockdown. Oki feels pretty standard. Do dashing which ways, j.mks, etc. I feel like neutral jump j.lp j.lk j.mk deserves a special mention. I find it to beat wakeup reversal and it forces Felicia to sit and block for a short second.

Like any other matchup, when she gets comfortable dealing with dashing pressure, mix it up with various missile charge strengths (start with mk missile so they have to respect it). That is, dash 2.mp, 2.lk, missile, dash or jump, etc.

There is no shame in Baa-chan super. Grandma beats obvious shorthops, and it beats gimmick pressure.

Kyle, you cannot actually control the strength of your tech hit, only influence it. Pretty lame. Though Bulleta ought to L->R techhit, Delta kick requires you to switch it up. Start with mp and techhit to the weaks.

I just recently learned a Bulleta concept. Could be very OLD news, but new to me, so I'll elaborate.

One weakness of Bulleta, Felicia and a few other is their inability to do punishable air-damage. They cannot go from a neutral game, to blocking a DP/GC and punish w/ a super for full damage. Does> not >happen.

Now, the question I never had the REAL answer for is, "What is an ideal punish for a DP?"

I believe it to be this:

9J.mp (Hit), [7]J.mk (Whiff/gain meter), Land, step back, meaty/delayed [1]cr.mp at max range.

This string does a few things:

- Advanced towards the opponent, threatening for a mix-up (Overhead/low/throw)

- Gains meter

- captures enough charge time, such that if the opponent was to dp/gc again, Bulleta can easily punish w/ ES-Missles.

- cr.mp is dp/GC safe at max range

- cr.mp can stuff jumps when timed correctly.

So, you start out like this until you can make a confident read on the opponent and from there it's mixup/bait city.

Someone can explain me how her rockets work? because every time i try to jump over i get hit even if i try to block those damn rockets

It's a matter of spacing. Stay at a range where a 9 j.hp will connect with deep with Bulleta and you'll sail over the missile into a full combo. They are charge and air blockable.

A common setup with BB is to launch a missile, confirm the air block, and dash lp or whatnot. Felicia's ability to air block normals at a specific height can very practically save her from this trap. It's happened to me many times. Felicia and wolf have the jump speed and mobility to beat missiles with jump ins. It's very risky for BB to carelessly fire anti-air missiles against these characters.

Since missile anti-airs are risky against these characters, Bulleta often has to bait and space dashing lp or mk AAs vs these opponents once they prove they know the ranges to beat AA missile.

6MP is a fun gimmick. It can low crush specific pokes, is plus 3 or 4, and is throw invulnerable. If you're hit out of it, you're forced into an air reset, so many characters won't be able to convert into damage. Lowish risk with moderate reward and can be used to punish sloppy techhitting. Play around with it to see where it fits. It can be used to wiff and command throw on oki. Against sloppy zombie tech hits starting with cr.hk it will lose outright. etc.

Outside of consolidation and organization, is there anything left for this thread? Does it do its job of teaching how to play Bulleta? Or was that its purpose?

I could list matchups and explain my opinion on them, but in learning to play an effective Bulleta, understanding of the matchups follow. I check in every few weeks to answer forgotten questions and will continue to do so.

I'd love for this to be a discussion.

Another Bulleta setup I've recently noticed is a corner combo into cr.mp, 3hK. This causes a flaming KD in the corner and gives Bulleta EXTENDED KD time. from here she can do a safejump landing attack, d.mp... and still confirm every roll into a mixup/advantage.

If they forward roll: the safejump-j.mk/hk is very ambiguous.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=16m32s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=12m8s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=19m34s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=26m40s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=30m55s

If they neutral wake-up and press buttons: J.attack hits, d.mp combos and you can link a full BnB off of that. resetting the situation into another 3.HK KD.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=8m14s

If they neutral wake-up and TechHit: Bulleta's D.mp will fight the TechHit and still combo on hit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=11m43s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=12m50s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=16m52s

If they roll back: Bulleta's d.mp will have recovered and she can 50/50 with cr.mp or IOH j.MP

Also: see the delyed Jumpin to beat the TechHit attempt!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=9m7s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=14m03s

Bulleta can use backdash mp's to make DF deactivation more safe:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=105m47s

Lastly, A corner reset is an awesome walk-thru 50/50 for the characters w/ fast walk speed. Bulleta, Lilith, Morrigan, Gallon, etc.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=21m56s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=96m41s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=101m01s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=104m8s

OMFG the comback XD

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=106m16s

certain projectiles ignore TechHits, I know of Lilith's soul flash & Bulleta's 3.hk, Bulleta's st.hk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=95m34s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=102m54s

...Something I've been meaning to verify: I've heard that some characters' crouching animations or their crouching attacks or both push their pushboxes back (Q-bee, Wolf, Zabel?) Verification from anyone plz?

Confirmed w/ Gallon cr.mp and cr.mk. Zabel is hard b/c of his crouch walk/retreat and confirmed for Qbee's cr.mk as well. >_> hard to throw these.

- I want to reiterate a concept of Bulleta's ground chase, game: when opponents side-roll, they lose their 5f of throwing & they are subject to additional turn-around frames. This means that cross-ups and walk-thru's are more effective when used against an opponents ground roll. I don't think basket KD has enough frames to run-thru a back-roll and that's why Kosho/SAKO rarely use it. They would rather prioritize 2hk or 3.hk b/c the frames allow Bulleta to chase all the rolls and setup mixups for days. Reference this next entire match & see Kosho use 5 or Aulbath's 6 ground rolls, to setup mixups:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ggja0jCQ-o#t=19m20s

i really like lthat ist matchups and try to explain a little im just begin with the game cause in mexico the escene of vs its totally dead; i buy the psn version and i really wanna join to some people who play the game and explain a little! =)

Unless I'm blind (and I partially am) I don't see a matchup thread, so I'm going to ask here.

How does the matchup between Bulleta and Aulbath go?

I feel like I understand some and am lost in other places.

Unless I'm blind (and I partially am) I don't see a matchup thread, so I'm going to ask here.

How does the matchup between Bulleta and Aulbath go?

I feel like I understand some and am lost in other places.

From an Aulbath's perspective:

"Bulleta- (6-4) Such a slippery character! She's very hard to pin down with dash pressure, and can get around projectiles easily with her double jumps. Her ES rockets can trade and sometimes beat gas start-up, even full screen. Bubble traps are fairly effective against her if you do them after a knock down. Her only option out of a meaty cr. mk set-up is to GC it. Her GC isn't great however, and may not even give her time to punish in this case. Be wary of using Dark Force when she has meter, if you go up too high on the screen you can eat a Huntsman super, and you don't want that (each hit would be unscaled in this case). Tech hit often, and watch her angles on her jumps. BB Hoods like to jump and chicken block a lot, as it's one of her only good air to air options. Try and do full jump chains if she double-jumps or starts high in the air, and unblockable st. lp if you land before her. Essentially both characters can get good ground momentum started against each other, but BB Hood is able to escape and reset spacing much easier than Fish. When BBHood is doing her dash pressure, it becomes REALLY important to try and tech hit her as well as possible, because she always has the threat of Instant overhead. Any solid BBH player can do an IOH and whiff her jmk into 2-3 more jumping overheads between landing. This is hard to see, so spacing and good use of pushblock is how Rikuo plays defense in this matchup."

I'd add that Rikuo is susceptible to IOH j.mp j.mk (whiff) into j.mk crossup.

The Rikuo Matchup is all about avoiding the bubble trap. He will try to bully you to the corner, and you cannot let him. Bulleta has options out of it, but it's a mixup in his favor.

THE BUBBLE: As far as I can tell, Rikuo's corner-bubble-oki and your escapes are

a) meaty (usually cr.mk) and force them to eat the bubble.

a1) Guard cancel! This and Morrigan's Finishing Shower make you love your otherwise stupid GC.

b) jump-in chain to bully you back to the ground, and you eat the bubble.

b1) Chicken block and j.mp or j.lp him

c) not hit a button or whiff s.lk as the mixup has been established

c1) double jump or ES missile

You'll need to grind the matchup to learn how to escape, and your escape will be based on reads. These are the basics, and as he adapts he'll alter the mixups. There are good aulbaths on PSN and XBL, play them~

A few things come to mind. ES missile can really punish raw bubbles and his other projectiles; always be on the lookout for a raw bubble. Similarly ES missile really puts the hurt on his darkforce. He takes unscaled damage from it. Grandma's decent to use to make him respect your options, and it'll make him second guess dash pressure.

Do NOT get hit by his other projectiles. They all can lead into bubble setups and corner positioning. If I'm not dashing in, I'm always often air-blocking and holding a charge.

He has excellent dash pressure, so techhit, techhit, TECHHIT what you can. Your GC will not stop his momentum and is best used to escape bubble traps. If he is missing his d.mp cr.lp link often and is deep in you.. a reversal command throw via negative edge if a decent option. If he doesn't know the matchup well, low missile will blow up his dashes for days.

I don't know what's up with Aulbath's cr.hp (the crab claw), but many start their techhits with it, and it knocks me out of command throw 100%.

This is one of my favorite matchups. Play a keep-away/spacing game, and once you land a reset or a confirm, keep the pressure on.

66lp OS:

The following four characters can mount an option select to punish jumps, throw when the opponent's down+back and confirm into a BnB on hit.

You have to rely on the whiff recovery-frames, Hitstop & the st.lp whiffing a crouching opponent.

Bulleta

66lp~6mp~st.lp, RENDA st.lp CONFIRM

Lilith

66lp~6hp~cr.lk, cr.mp, st.mk xx LI

Q-bee

66lp~6mp~cr.lp, cr.lk, cr.mp, cr.mk

Big thanks to:

FleshPounder for loads of technical VSAV conversations

PsychoRarity for old uploads of players doing this over a decade ago

Neojinbe for uploads of players doing this over a decade ago

SAKO Bulleta for being the first player I've noticed this from

KAJI/Kosho for aggressively applying this technique.