Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skankin Garbage

[VS] Gallon: The Wolf Man

Skankin, I had a question about air chains. Specifically, which are the best ones to use? I've been running into some problems with chicken blockers lately (Mostly Bulleta, and then a Q-Bee too). I know j.lk, j.mk, j.hk into st.lp is a good one, but sometimes I've noticed this doesn't always work either. Are there any others? My problem with the aforementioned chain is the knee has such a short range it's not always practical against Bulletas when trying to get over her missile and punish her chicken blocking techniques. I can walk under the missile but that can also be quite dangerous. I also watched a video recently that showed a Gallon doing I think j.mp into j.hk into st.lp and it seemed successful. Curious about that also. I've also done 8 jumps into j.mk, j.hk to keep the Q-Bee at bay, but if I'm looking to get in and do some damage via the air, what are my options?

Note: I'll probably ask you more specifically about these matchups and some others later but I was gonna try to do a little research first. Don't want to be pestering you all the time.

Skankin, I had a question about air chains. Specifically, which are the best ones to use? I've been running into some problems with chicken blockers lately (Mostly Bulleta, and then a Q-Bee too). I know j.lk, j.mk, j.hk into st.lp is a good one, but sometimes I've noticed this doesn't always work either. Are there any others? My problem with the aforementioned chain is the knee has such a short range it's not always practical against Bulletas when trying to get over her missile and punish her chicken blocking techniques. I can walk under the missile but that can also be quite dangerous. I also watched a video recently that showed a Gallon doing I think j.mp into j.hk into st.lp and it seemed successful. Curious about that also. I've also done 8 jumps into j.mk, j.hk to keep the Q-Bee at bay, but if I'm looking to get in and do some damage via the air, what are my options?

Note: I'll probably ask you more specifically about these matchups and some others later but I was gonna try to do a little research first. Don't want to be pestering you all the time.

Your longest air chain is not J.Lk -> J.Mk -> J.Hk. Actually, I'd probably never use that one. Instead, the longest chain you can do is J.Mp -> J.Mk -> J.Hp -> J.Hk. Also, another thing you can do is just do J.Mk xx Beast Cannon.

In the case of Q-Bee...this might be a little advanced, but you shouldn't even be trying to force an air block from her; if she is floating when she blocks your air chain, she can get a free combo every single time.

Question, Skankin: What are the best ways to bait tech hits with Talbain?

Can you elaborate? Why, exactly, are you trying to bait push blocks with Talbain in the first place?

Well, imo there's only two things Talbain has to bait GCs:

1. C.Lk - This is your main way to do it. Even though the frame data is the exact same as C.Lp, the hixbot itself is much safer. Learn the spacing for max range when you're expecting GCs.

2. S.Mp - This is only good for GCs that don't reach forward (i.e Demon Cradles), and I suppose it could be good for baiting GCs that are really slow to start up, like Hsien-Ko's. In any case, I don't use it often; the hitbox is rather unsafe (with Talbain's vulnerable hitbox extending almost all the way down his extended arm), and it only has two active hit frames, making it rather hard to time as a meaty.

If anything, learn to bait GCs by just halting your offense for a moment; except for with characters who have no normal DP move (i.e Jedah, Rapter), they will just whiff their move, allowing you to counter-attack it.

Moment Slice is probably one of Talbain's best attacks. Moment Slice combos typically result in the highest Red Damage of any of Talbain's combos (Though ES BCs do more total damage), but the problem is that there aren't many setups for Moment Slice (where, on the other hand, you don't even need to set up an ES BC unless you're playing a very good player).

The typical Moment Slice setups all require crossups; thus, the more obvious setups are to actually set up the spacing for a crossup J.Lk, or to do the Moment Slice OS: after knocking an opponent down, do a neutral J.Lk from the distance where your opponent would be directly under you if they attempted a forward roll. When the J.Lk connects, land and do the Moment Slice combination, while tacking an Hp at the end of it. If you are on the right side, you will do (J.Lk \/ C.Lp -> C.Mp xx Moment Slice). If you landed on the wrong side, you will still get (J.Lk \/ C.Lp -> C.Mp -> C.Mk -> S.Hp).

These setups are gimmicky and obvious, though. What you need is a good way to incorporate it in your normal mixups, instead of largely telegraphed, elaborate setups that anyone can see coming a mile away. Unfortunately, the only good way at that point is to combo it off the dash. Unfortunately, the difficulty and setups can differ greatly from character to character; some characters will be very easy to hit with any setup, while some characters can only be hit by a crossup. Some characters can't be hit by Moment Slice from a dash at all!

Hence, I've made this list which indicates all the information you might need about comboing into Moment Slice from a dash attack on any character. Per each character, I've listed whether it's possible (and if it's just really hard), whether they can be crossed up by a D.Lk (or if they can ONLY be hit by Moment Slice with a D.Lk crossup to begin with), and which common dash attacks (D.Lk; D.Mk) and dash links (D.Lk, D.Lp; D.Mk, D.Lp) can be used. I've also compiled a list of some of the most simple setups, which you might using to establish the threat of a dash already:

Pursuit: This indicates whether or not a successful pursuit attack will set up a D.Lk \/ C.Lp -> S.Mp xx Moment Slice.

C.Lp -> C.Lk -> C.Mp -> C.Mk: This indicates whether or not the following chain will set up a D.Lk \/ C.Lp -> S.Mp xx Moment Slice from point blank or roughly point blank. This setup can be used with the D.Mk, D.Lk Dash Link.

C.Lp -> C.Mp -> C.Mk -> S.Hp: This indicates whether or not the following chain will set up a D.Mk \/ C.Lp -> S.Mp xx Moment Slice from point blank or roughly point blank. Notice that this setup requires a D.Mk, not a D.Lk like all other setups do. This setup can be done with the D.Mk, D.Lk Dash Link, and they might even be required in this setup against Jedah and Rikuo.

C.Lp -> C.Mp/Mk: This indicates whether or not the following chain will set up a D.Lk \/ C.Lp -> S.Mp xx Moment Slice from point blank or roughly point blank. This setup is typically used to set up a crossup D.Lk, and thus it's going to be assumed to cross up unless noted otherwise.

As a bonus, since Dashing into Moment Slice doesn't work on the whole cast, I've added the most damaging chain combo that knocks an opponent down. This can also be useful on an opponent who can be hit with a Dashing setup into Moment Slice, as you won't always have meter. The three typical combos are:

C.Lp -> C.Lk -> S.Mk -> C.Hk

C.Lp -> S.Mk -> C.Hk

C.Lp -> C.Hp -> C.Hk

ONE FINAL, IMPORTANT NOTE: THESE SETUPS ALL ASSUME THAT YOUR OPPONENT IS CROUCHING. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT ALL OF THESE SETUPS WILL WORK AGAINST A STANDING OPPONENT. Then again, why are you doing a dash if you think your opponent is going to be standing? And, of course, you can still land Moment Slice in other ways; this list is ONLY about comboing into Moment Slice off of a Dash attack.

Without furhter ado, here's the master "Dashing Damage" list:

1. DEMITRI

Possible: Yes

Crossup: Yes - unlikely

Single Hit? Yes, both

Dash Link? Yes, both

Setups:

Pursuit: Yes

C.Lp -> C.Lk -> C.Mp -> C.Mk: Yes

C.Lp -> C.Mp -> C.Mk -> S.Hp: Yes

C.Lp -> C.Mp/Mk: Yes

Meterless Knockdown: C.Lp -> S.Mk -> C.Hk

Thoughts: Demitri might be the easiest person in the game to hit with this combo. Who knows why? Maybe cos he's just so damn fat when he's crouched. Either way, all setups work on him relatively easy, and - although I wouldn't go out of my way to set it up - you can even cross him up. The only real downside is that the Meterless Knockdown combo is the least damaging of any variant. ...Who cares? You can Moment Slice the shit out of Demi.

2. VICTOR

Possible: Yes (moderate)

Crossup: No

Single Hit? Yes

Dash Link? Yes

Setups:

C.Lp -> C.Mp/Mk: Yes (does not crossup)

Thoughts: Victor is a little difficult to hit with Moment Slice, but every setup works. If you are rockin' out against your opponent, I'd give it a shot; but, I wouldn't go out of my way to set it up.

3. ANAKARIS

Possible: Crossup only (difficult)

Single Hit? Yes, D.Lk crossup

Dash Link? No

Setups:

Pursuit: No

C.Lp -> C.Lk -> C.Mp -> C.Mk: No

C.Lp -> C.Mp -> C.Mk -> S.Hp: No

Meterless Knockdown: C.Lp -> C.Hp -> C.Hk

Thoughts: Completely impossible, except in the unlikely event of a crossup. I would have never guessed, since Anak seems to get the shaft in virtually every regard. However, the Meterless Knockdown combo is the strongest possible variant, and you'll have to go out of your way to make it miss. That's good, right?

4. FELICIA

Dash Link? No; in addition, D.Mk, D.Lk is impossible against Felicia

Setups:

Thoughts: Screw you, Felicia. I figured that testing this might help me find an edge in some of Talbain's harder matches, but you can only land this from a Dashing crossup and the timing is extremely tight. On top of that, you can only use the weakest possible Meterless Knockdown variant. Blah.

5. B.B HOOD

Possible: Yes - only by crossup or corner (corner is difficult)

Single Hit? Yes, D.Lk (crossup or corner)

Dash Link? No; Dash Links are impossible against B.B Hood

Setups:

Thoughts: I would virtually never go for this in the corner. It's very random, and your success seems to be dictated by your spacing - you can't just be right on top of her when you go for it, and the exact range appears to be so pixel-precise that I couldn't even figure it out...either that, or it depends heavily on factors like how late you hit D.Lk before landing, and how fast you cancel S.Mp into Moment Slice. But, if your timing has to be that tight, why risk it? Besides, crossing her up is stupidly easy anyways, and that's very hard to mess up.

6. BISHAMON

Possible: Corner only (difficult)

Crossup: No

Single Hit? Yes, D.Lk

Dash Link? Yes, D.Lk, D.Lp; I could not get D.Mk, D.Lp to work even once

Setups:

C.Lp -> C.Mp/Mk: No

Thoughts: I really thought this was gonna be different. You can land a Dashing Moment Slice off a D.Lp or the D.Lp, D.Lk Dash Link. Either way, it's pretty hard.

7. JEDAH

Possible: Yes (moderate)

Crossup: Yes (difficult)

Single Hit? Yes, D.Lk

Dash Link? Yes

Setups:

Meterless Knockdown: C.Lp -> C.Lk -> S.Mk -> C.Hk

Thoughts: Well, it's not easy, but you can hit him with the combo in midscreen, the corner, and even by crossup. As for his Meterless Knockdown variant, the spacing is a little tight. If you're not landing your Dash attack off of one of the recommended setups, you might just opt for C.Lp -> S.Mk -> C.Hk anyways.

8. Q-BEE

Possible: No; Moment Slice does not hit Q-Bee when she's crouching.

Cross-Up: No; crossup is possible and easy to do, but Moment Slice still does not connect.

Single Hit? No

Dash Link? No

Setups:

C.Lp -> C.Mp/Mk: No

Thoughts: This didn't exactly take a long time to test. I already knew that Moment Slice was useless against Q-Bee because she can just crouch under it. The only valuable thing to take away is that you can do the most powerful Meterless Knockdown variant on Q-Bee, and since her defense is very low, it does a whopping 29% of her lifebar before damage scaling. Suck it, Q-Bee!

Also, this might be slightly out of the scope of this article, but if you are really looking to do damage to Q-Bee off a dash, you can use the old D.(something) \/ S.M(p) xx ES BC combo (in other words, replace the optimal S.Mk which will whiff Q-Bee, with S.Mp which will not). The full combo with pursuit will do exactly 50%. But, we are not looking at combos that deal with ES Beast Cannon right now. Moving along.

9. HSIEN-KO

Possible: Yes (difficult; corner impossible)

Single Hit? Yes

Dash Link? No; in addition, D.Mk, D.Lk is impossible against Hsien-Ko

Setups:

Thoughts: I don't even know, dude. I know for a fact that you can land this combo on Hsien because when I began the tests, I landed the full combo on my very first try. However, absolutely none of the common setups work, I can't seem to hit her with it at all in the corner, and it's difficult to cross her up. Oh well - this fight is like a total blowout, anyways; having this on top of all of Talbain's other advantages would be ridiculous. Meterless Knockdown combo is as good as it gets though, so at least that's something.

10. J. TALBAIN

Possible: Crossup only

Dash Link? No; Dash Links are impossible against Talbain

Setups:

Thoughts: Normally, all of Talbain's bullshit works very effectively against himself. Here...well, it's not perfect, but landing the crossup combo is very easy, and the setup works nicely. Meterless Knockdown combo is the most damaging possible variant.

11. LILITH

Possible: Yes; much easier with crossup or corner

Single Hit? Yes

Dash Link? No; Dash Links are impossible against Lilith

Setups:

Thoughts: ...So. It's definitely possible midscreen, and all the variations that are set up by a single D.Lk will work. But, they are honestly very hard, for the most part. Thankfully, crossing her up is very easy, allowing for an easy Moment Slice. Also, for whatever reason, landing the combo against her when she's cornered is much easier. I would have guessed this would be the case against most of the cast; however, Lilith is one of the last characters I tested, and this was the first time I ran into this phenomenon.

TL;DR: Do it when you've crossed her up or when she's cornered. Meterless Knockdown combo is the weakest possible variant, but Lilith dies so fast it probably doesn't matter.

12. RIKUO

Possible: Yes (difficult; corner impossible)

Dash Link? Yes, D.Mk, D.Lk

Setups:

Thoughts: I don't think it's worth it to try your luck against Rikuo. The only setups that work are the crossup, which is very, very hard to do against Rikuo; and the setup for Talbain's Dash Link, which aside from having the highest possible margin of error already, will whiff Rikuo unless you step just a hair forward before doing the dash. And, honestly, in that hair of a second, your opponent could very well do anything but sit there and wait to get hit by your dash. Meterless Knockdown combo is the weakest possible variant.

13. L. RAPTER

Possible: Yes

Dash Link? Yes, D.Lk, D.Lp; in addition, D.Mk, D.Lk is impossible against Rapter

Setups:

Thoughts: Holy shit. Everything about this test has defied my expectations. As it turns out, Rapter might be one of the easiest characters to land this combo against. The only thing that's difficult is hitting him with a crossup - ironically, the only thing I expected might be feasible. It's possible to get him in the corner with either a single D.Lk or the D.Lk, D.Lp Dash Link; however, the Dash Link requires very accurate spacing and is easy to mess up. Since it's virtually impossible to miss otherwise, I'd say forego the Dash Link. Meterless Knockdown combo is the weakest possible variant...but who fuggin' cares? You can hit Rapter with a Dashing Moment Slice combo!

14. SASQUATCH

Dash Link? No; in addition, D.Mk, D.Lk is impossible against Sasquatch

Setups:

Thoughts: What. A. Dick. The only way you're ever gonna land this against Sas is if you cross him up, which is super-hard to combo into. To add insult to injury, your Meterless Knockdown combo is the weakest possible variant.

15. MORRIGAN

Possible: Yes (...kind of difficult?)

Single Hit? Yes

Dash Link? No; Dash Links are impossible against Morrigan

Setups:

Thoughts: I dunno...it's like, hitting her with this combo is not as easy as possible, like it is against Demi or Rapter. But, on the other hand, it's not mind-bendingly difficult, like Hsien-Ko or Rikuo. It's easy enough that even though there's a margin of error, I'd still personally go for it. Meterless Knockdown combo is the weakest possible variant.

SIMPLER YES/NO LISTS

For the people who don't want to peruse the entire document, here are a lot of do/don't lists. I've made a lot of lists, depending on how people like to take in the information, so there's going to be a bit of redundancy.

The following characters can be hit with DMS (Dashing Moment Slice) combos, midscreen and corner, very easily:

Demitri

L. Rapter

The following characters are easier to hit in the corner:

Lilith (also easy with crossup)

The following characters are best to hit with a crossup:

B.B Hood

J. Talbain

The following characters can be hit with DMS combos with a slightly higher margin of error in the midscreen and corner:

Victor

Jedah

Morrigan

The following characters are very difficult to hit with DMS combos, yet it can be done midscreen:

Hsien-Ko

Rikuo

Corner only...and the corner combo is very difficult:

Bishamon

Crossup only...and the crossup is very difficult:

Anakaris

Felicia

Sasquatch

The following characters can not be hit by Moment Slice while crouching:

Q-Bee

I wouldn't try crossing these characters up with a DMS combo:

Demitri

Anakaris

Felicia

Jedah

Hsien-Ko

Rikuo

Rapter

Sasquatch

Morrigan

Victor (crossup impossible)

Bishamon (crossup impossible)

Q-Bee (because fuck you, Q-Bee)

I wouldn't try DMS combos in the corner against these characters:

B.B Hood

Bishamon

J.Talbain

Anakaris (corner impossible)

Felicia (corner impossible)

Hsien-Ko (corner impossible)

Rikuo (corner impossible)

Sasquatch (corner impossible)

Q-Bee (STFU)

Strangely enough, you shouldn't try DMS combos midscreen (not counting crossups) against these guys:

B.B Hood

Hsien-Ko

Lilith

Rikuo

Anakaris (impossible without crossup)

Felicia (impossible without crossup)

J.Talbain (impossible without crossup)

Sasquatch (impossible without crossup)

Bishamon (impossible except with corner)

Q-Bee (impossible except with hax)

Overall safe to try midscreen (not counting crossup):

Demi (easy)

Rapter (easy)

Morrigan (moderate)

Victor (moderate)

Jedah (moderate)

Overall safe to cross up:

B.B Hood (easy)

J. Talbain (easy)

Lilith (moderate)

Overall safe to hit in the corner:

Demi (easy)

Rapter (easy)

Lilith (easy)

Morrigan (moderate)

Victor (moderate)

Jedah (moderate)

Meterless Knockdown master list for C.Lp -> C.Hp -> C.Hk:

Anakaris

B.B Hood

Q-Bee

Hsien-Ko

J.Talbain

Meterless Knockdown master list for C.Lp -> C.Lk -> S.Mk -> C.Hk:

Jedah

Meterless Knockdown mastery list for C.Lp -> S.Mk -> C.Hk:

Demitri

Victor

Felicia

Bishamon

Lilith

Rikuo

Rapter

Sasquatch

Morrigan

Okay, I just want to know: HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET BEAST CANNON TO DO WHAT YOU WANT!?

My god, that stupid move does random things every time! I can neither get it to change directions at a predictable time interval, nor get it to go in the direction I want!

Seriously, I can mash all 3 P buttons immediately after doing Beast Cannon, and when and if he does it is random. Pushing one button instead of mashing doesn't help; it makes it worse.

On top of that, he goes in seemingly random directions: Got my stick crammed up into the 9 Corner? How about straight up, or even backwards instead?!

It's getting rather frustrating; I'm trying to practice in arcade mode, and Boss Talbain can get all 5 hits of ES Beast Cannon to connect while I can't even get the right direction or timing.

Okay, I just want to know: HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET BEAST CANNON TO DO WHAT YOU WANT!?

My god, that stupid move does random things every time! I can neither get it to change directions at a predictable time interval, nor get it to go in the direction I want!

Seriously, I can mash all 3 P buttons immediately after doing Beast Cannon, and when and if he does it is random. Pushing one button instead of mashing doesn't help; it makes it worse.

On top of that, he goes in seemingly random directions: Got my stick crammed up into the 9 Corner? How about straight up, or even backwards instead?!

It's getting rather frustrating; I'm trying to practice in arcade mode, and Boss Talbain can get all 5 hits of ES Beast Cannon to connect while I can't even get the right direction or timing.

What I tend to do is double tap the punches as I input the motions. What's important to realize is to do the input slower or faster depending on the character. But for now, focus on getting 6,9,7,9,2 as your first shape down.

I'll update this as I go, but I'm workin' on it for now.

Log:

11/27: Started outline. Finished most of the Basics and Normals Section.

12/2: Added more stuff to the basics section, including some info compiled by Lion's Eye.

OUTLINE, as standardized by Kyle Wattula, with my own additions in bold parenthetic statements:

1 – Basics (I've added some information here that I've deemed more relevant, since the application of punishes, AAs, and pokes in VS can be surprisingly advanced stuff. Regardless, I've tried to include any information required by the standard outline.)

Punish

Anti- Air

Pokes

chasing ground rolls (I am expanding this to wakeup-games/okizeme in general, since it's not covered anywhere in the outline, and "chasing ground rolls" is absurdly specific.)

Air-Game

2 - Normals- explain the most used application for each.

3 - Specials- only explain the intricacies (If there are any). WHat's good for building meter, what's got invinc. etc.

4 - Supers- Same as "9"

5- Mix-ups

6 - Combo's

7 - Frame traps & Tick throws

1. Basics.

[Accompanying Video: Talbain doing some trick shit with his walk. Ambiguous sides on opponent wakeup; tick throw; walking under fireballs.]

- Movement is important as Talbain; his walk-speed is the fastest in the entire game, and he can walk under fireballs. Get accustomed to using this to your advantage.

[Accompanying Video: Talbain doing sweet jump-in stuff. Full combo; Cross-up Moment Slice; Air BC Feint; Empty-Jump Throw.]

- Talbain's jump is powerful. It has a very fast trajectory and can be difficult to react to. On top of that, his jumping normals have big hitboxes and can be daunting to deal with for novices. For that reason, take special care not to lean on this strength as a crutch! Better players will manhandle you for jumping with impunity.

[Accompanying Video: Talbain getting his out of some normals. Then, some footage of Talbain playing smart footsies after a reset.]

- Talbain's normals can be easy to trade with if you aren't at the right ranges. Thus, when you're poking/chaining, make sure you're starting with the appropriate normal. Use them in this order, from closest range to farthest: C.Lk, C.Lp, C.Mk, C.Mp. In other words, if you're in range to start with C.Lk, you should always do it. Adhering to this principle will minimize your risks.

[Accompanying Video: Talbain getting aced for trying to AA with Climb Razor. Then, Talbain showcasing the proper way to AA in various situations. Beating a jump-in with C.Hp; Beating a close Dash/IAD with S.Lp; Beating a low-fly with C.Mp; beating an odd angle with S.Mk or C.Mk.]

- Talbain doesn't have consistent anti-air. Climb Razor is not-good as anti-air; it's very easy to be hit out of, and it has no invulnerable frames. Talbain's anti-airs depend on where his opponent is coming from. From point blank or high above, use S.Lp or C.Hp. For opponents dashing towards you, lower to the ground, use C.Mp. Anything between is a job for S.Mk and C.Mk. And, remember; sometimes, it's best just to use a Push Block.

- Talbain can chase rolls in either direction with a dash. His walk speed is also quick enough that he can keep good pressure on anyone rolling away, and simply rolling towards him in most situations can be converted into an ambiguous blocking situation for his opponent.

- As far as wakeup games go, Talbain has a few basic options. If you expect a Guard Cancel or just want to be safe, your best options are to either wait, or do a meaty C.Lp from max range. For Push Block-happy opponents, using meaty S.Hp is handy (or C.Hp on Q-Bee) to alter the timing and force them to pay attention. If you know you can predict an opponent's reaction, your riskier and more rewarding options are to do a combo straight into Moment Slice; or use your dash to start condition an opponent to react to your high/low approach.

2. Normals

[Accompanying Video: Talbain doing some combos starting with C.Lp. Talbain comboing C.Mk xx Beast Cannon. Some block string that has Talbain canceling C.Lp and C.Mk into Quick Move.]

- There isn't a single normal of Talbain's that doesn't have some use; so, I'll try and go over the basics. C.Lp and C.Mk are your most important normals. C.Lp is a low with very long range that can start most of his chain combos. C.Mk is fast and long-ranged. It's also an excellent candidate for comboing into his Beast Cannon. Both of them can be canceled into Talbain's movement special, Quick Move, to move forward while maintaining pressure.

[Accompanying Video: Talbain doing some stuff with C.Mk. Talbain landing a full combo off J.Hp. Talbain landing a cross-up J.Lp combo. Talbain guard-breaking with J.Mp -> J.Mk -> J.Hp -> J.Hk \/ S.Lp.]

- Talbain has plenty of options in the air. C.Mk is an all-purpose defensive move, while also being a good way to build meter. J.Hp makes a powerful vanilla jump-in, while J.Lk is useful as a crossup. For meeting opponents mid-air, start with J.Mp and move up the chain to J.Hp.

(more to come)

Post 1:

Added info for planned video tutorial:

Wolf OS: As far as n.HK Option Select there are plenty of ways to set it up.

Regular OS/tick throw:

-Cr.lp or cr.lk, walk forward throw. Or you can do cr.lp, cr.lk, walk forward throw. Mix them up to keep opponent guessing.

-You can also use st.mk for this OS as well, but I think n.hk is better.

-See below about doing this off quick move.

-Because of how long wolf's cr.lp is I think you can get away with max range walk into throw on someone else's wakeup who might try a throw themselves. Just a thought.

Command Throw OS:

-You can mix it in with regular jump-ins and jump/tk beast cannons to keep the opponent guessing. For instance you can whiff a j.hp then land and input command throw, or whiff a j.hp then come down with a j.lk. Wolf can also land behind them and the input will still come out so long as you do it early enough.

-D.hp into command throw. Easier to do on block.

-If you're close enough you can cancel a normal into quick move and even do the command throw OS here too.

-If you want to be tricky/think you're opponent is going to do something on wakeup, you can get close to them to bait their move then DF into command throw. Their move will whiff and on recovery you throw them then end DF. Alternatively if someone is trying to OS you, do this to them.

oki w/ darkforce to bait a reversal/throw:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=17m

-Do your own wakeup OS.

-A specific situation that comes to mind that you'd likely only do once a match is against Aulbath. When you're knocked down in the corner and they do a bubble, if they stay close enough, roll forward and do wakeup OS. It should get you out safely.

I know it's possible to do either a regular throw or command throw out of bc/es bc, but I haven't figured out the spacing for this yet.

One caveat is, at least so far as I've found with Jedah, because of how high Jedah can get up into the air, if you do the OS too soon it will whiff and leave you open to counter-attack. You have to wait a second to do it on Jedah. Not sure if this would apply to Q-Bee too.

Only use ES command throw if you think it will take a bat or kill them, otherwise the meter usage is not worth it.

Command throw has lots of invincibility (I think 9 frames but don't know for sure). Deals good damage. Try to work it in as much as possible.

I think it's possible because of how long the game holds inputs to input the hcb for command throw, then land and react to what they do, in case they df or something. Not sure, but just a thought.

Skankin, if you have anything to add, or see something that needs correction, let me know.

Post 2:

I'll leave frame traps to Skankin. I wouldn't be confident in explaining those.

But as far as ground rolls. Probably the best option is cr.hp -> cr.hk. This is if you're close enough/guess correctly on their roll. You can also walk through them and do this too. The reason is because cr.hp covers all options and it has enough range you can be safe from throws on their wakeup. Cr.hk makes it safe and can lead to more damage.

If they're in the corner, learn where you need to be then if they roll forward do 8 j.lk into moment slice. J.lk is difficult to read as far as which side wolf will be on and moment slice will net you lots of red damage. Avoid this on Felicia and Anakaris. Alternatively j.hp.

If they remain in the corner you could do 8 j.mk or 8 j.hk into a dash. Or just dash.

In some situations you can do backdash mk to follow their rolling behind you.

Some options I described above go here too.

It's not a great option, but you can also do dragon cannon if they roll behind you to cross them up.

If they're far enough away/roll backward do a d.mk or d.hk or do an es bc to end up behind them then do 7 or 9 after that.

If you think they're going to stay still do neutral jump again, or do some quick moves to keep them guessing, or just walk back and forth over them to confuse them then do command super.

Off of command super kara cancel a mk into bc or climb razor for meter, then do two quick moves to cover roll options.

1. Gallon can use millions of flicker (nunchucks) to delay DF deactivate. Just keep mashing punches.

2. Thanks to KEN_gallon for explaining a BUG in the Millions of Flicker attack. The command can be "overloaded" w/ jabs and cause akward frame skips and static hiboxes. I had success doing 9 separate punches really really fast before and after the startup of the nunchucks. Useless, but neat-o.

I say useless b/c the execution is too challenging. Pretty much requires a turbo-controller. Here's the video reference.

Ahh, well that's a different matter entirely. I was gonna say! There is a particular hitbox of Million Flicker that is insanely powerful AA. The only reason it's not good to AA with it is because of how hard it is to get that hitbox when you need it. Oh well.

Gallon has a (4) way mixup post a corner K-throw & the opponent Tech's the throw. This same mixup works off any corner reset. It's pretty convenient that that K-Throw is an OS for the jump-out. You go for the K-Throw, they jump and you still get the Mixups

Against: Sasquatch, LeiLei, Zabel, Bishamon

1. Walk into the corner and do a quick low

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0QUmCMxN1M#t=8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bA1xb6PI#t=2m33s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bA1xb6PI#t=11m25s

2. Walk out of the corner and do a quick low

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0QUmCMxN1M#t=14s

3. Walk out of the corner and do 66j.lk, LINK j.lp, Land, BnB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bA1xb6PI#t=5m48s

4. Walk out of the corner than jump back into the corner. J.lk will crossup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bA1xb6PI#t=2m16s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnHkZaHq8-E#t=43s

Thanks to KEN_Gallon for the tip.

Talbain has no particularly effective GC baits (other than to simply not-attack). So, against characters like Rapter or Jedah, it's not always a smart move to do a meaty. This is probably even more true against Rapter, whose ES GC is an easy setup for his unblockable.

EDIT: Video links will slowly be incoming for people who are better visual learners, and to show confirmation of the situations. If need be, I'll set up my own.

Comprehensive Gallon Specialty Guide:

-This guide is for gimmicks/situations/options unique to Gallon. Enjoy.

1. Walking under projectiles. This is as much a psychological tactic as it is a useful one. Must wait until projectile is just past Gallon’s back to attack/stand. Use to escape mixups, punish opponent, or maintain appropriate/desired range.

-Works against: Morrigan’s (ES) ground fireball, Bishamon’s (ES) ground fireball, Demitri’s (ES) ground fireball, and Bulleta’s (ES) missile.

-Does not work against: Lilith’s fireball (regular or ES). Also be wary of Bulleta’s low missile.

-Talbain can also walk under Anakaris’ curse and punish. J.hp works well and can lead into a reset situation.

-You can also walk under Bishamon's Iai Giri (punch version), but this won't usually yield in a punish unless you're close enough, have the reaction time, and the stronger versions of the move are used. But it's still worth knowing in case a Bishamon is spamming these. Force them to use the kick version too then anticipate and jump punish with ES BC or air BC into ES Climb Razor.

-Other walk under/crouch under situations that yield unique Talbain punishes will be incorporated into the Punish Guide.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=15m14s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL8mGwFDE1M#t=27m54s

2. OS Throw Shenanigans. Command throw with HK. Piano HK into MK if you so desire. Throw has 2 frame startup and 9 frames of invulnerability.

a. Situation 1: If close enough do cr.lp xx quick move into OS. Not safe but if opponent is sitting there and you’re in range, do it. Can also be useful as a wakeup option, especially when opponent rolls.

b. Situation 2: On their wakeup get right up in their face and DF if you think they’re going to throw you/throw out a normal, then OS and deactivate after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=17m

c. Situation 3: When initiating the ES BC blockstring, that is ES BC into 9 into 2, if the opponent is content to sit and block and do nothing about this, land out of the 2 and throw them. Alternatively, find other spots and spacing with which to use the OS option, either regular throw or command throw.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL8mGwFDE1M#t=29m9s

d. Other situations will be provided in basic and advanced tutorials.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=15m36s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=15m39s

3. ES BC Unblockable. After the 2 motion (down) performing 9 motion at right time (up forward) results in an unblockable attack. Easier to do in the corner. Discontinue if opponent jumps at any time and blocks the string in the air. There is a slight timing window for this but only slight.

-Works against: Everybody anywhere on the screen, even crouching Q-Bee (as informed by Skankin)!

-Don’t do against opponents who are confident with DPs/tech hits/with punishing ES BC string.

4. Backdash mk or backdash shorthop mk in the corner. Backdash shorthop mk yields full combo opportunity, but I suggest only cr.lp xx cr.hk to be sure and set up oki/escape situation. If more comfortable with just backdash mk follow with cr.lp then follow with cr.mk xx es bc. Good way to create frame trap opportunity/escape.

-Works against: Everybody crouching or standing. Crouching Q-Bee, Morrigan, Lilith, B.B. Hood, and Gallon require slight delay when they’re close to you. Alternate possibility for them is backdash hp.

-Best time to use: When you regain advantage in corner after jumping, usually with falling mk into backdash mk.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=15m37s

5. Oki situation: Quick move can corpse hop to confuse the opponent. Alternatively, delay quick move, fake them out, then quick move to other side.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=2m10s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=8m56s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=22m28s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=27m4s

6. Dragon Cannon super will flat out beat Morrigan’s missile super. Only do this when you’re too far away on the screen to do anything else and you’re already standing. Otherwise crouch block and tech hit or jump and quickly air ES BC quickly to get over the move, or if you’re close enough, hit her out of it. This super can also chip kill great!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnHkZaHq8-E#t=1m16s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=1m15s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhKYZJTY0_s#t=23m3s

7. ES Climb Razor is fairly decent as a surprise wakeup move, especially for people whose oki is sloppy (including dashes and jumps), especially if you roll as you have less throw invulnerability and you’re expecting a throw, and also as potentially to use against up-backers. Why? ES Climb Razor has grounded unblockable properties during the initial frames of the hit duration. It also has 5 frames of startup and an interesting hitbox. Keep in mind at max height this move is blockable and if your opponent expects this move and they block on the ground, that's a full punish waiting to happen.

8. After air chain into standing guard break (has to be st.lp. N.hk will work sometimes, but it isn’t easy. Cr.hp will not work, but is often better for the corner), walk under opponent and combo into Moment Slice. This is part of a corner reset situation that can result in a walk under or remaining where you are. This works off air-to-air resets on EVERYONE.

-Does not work against: Felicia or Zabel. At certain optimum heights for st.lp guard break they glitch and block.

9. When close enough for kick throw (Use HK) to land you and opponent in corner, if opponent techs the throw, this leads to a 4-way mixup. Hold forward to end up in corner, hold nothing to end up in front of them, jump to come down on them awkwardly, or dash back in. All these options can lead to Moment Slice combo.

-Works against: Sasquatch, Lei-Lei, and Zabel.

Walk into the corner and do a quick low

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0QUmCMxN1M#t=8s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bA1xb6PI#t=2m33s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bA1xb6PI#t=11m25s

Walk out of the corner and do a quick low

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0QUmCMxN1M#t=14s

Walk out of the corner and do 66j.lk, LINK j.lp, Land, BnB

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bA1xb6PI#t=5m48s

Walk out of the corner than jump back into the corner. J.lk will crossup

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88bA1xb6PI#t=2m16s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnHkZaHq8-E#t=43s

10. Dash hp into OS throw, specifically using this as a crossup.

-Works against: Everyone crouching, even Q-Bee, although that requires a slight delay.

-Useful in reset situations, oki situations, as a surprise attack, and for taking a life/KO situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL8mGwFDE1M#t=21m33s

11. Gallon’s jump speed and height can yield unique bait/escape/punish situations others cannot use. Typically you’ll want to 8 jump in these situations, unless in the corner in which case a 7 jump is also viable. This is used to yomi against any time the below characters use OS. You can bait such an OS on their wakeup (providing of course you believe the player will use this option), same for reversals, or in knowing their own setups.

-Works against: Felicia, Gallon, Morrigan, Lilith, and Demitri.

-Gallon example: Whiffs air move and lands to do an OS. Dash hp into OS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFiHW9RNoSE#t=1m24s

-Felicia example: Dashing mk into OS. Wakeup OS.

-Morrigan example: Morrigan has a big normal throw game. Look for situations to avoid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=17m38s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=17m54s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=20m48s

-Lilith example: Occasional tick throws with d.mk or d.lk.

-Demitri example: Occasional tick throws, especially in the corner.

-Can hold back in the air as well after jumping

-This move can also get Gallon over Sasquatch cr.hp when opponent is in the corner, as well as Anakaris s.mp, but don’t rely on this as good players will start using other options to counter.

-Consider Dark Force as an alternative option for this, as described in the Dark Force OS situation above, but the jump option should net more damage and opportunities for followups.

12. Normally, Gallon’s best option to escape Aulbath’s Bubble Jail is to tech hit as soon as he wakes up, then jump out, but there is another option. If Aulbath remains close to the bubble, and therefore the corner, gutsy players can roll forward and OS on wakeup. This works due to having 2 frame startup and 9 frame invincibility, thereby beating Aulbath’s meaty cr.mk and the bubble. For better success with this tactic piano HK into MK and only use this once, as the Aulbath player should be expecting it next time.

Good stuff! If I may, let me throw in some fun stuff that might be relevant to your guide.

- I've found that if you're going to dodge an attack with Dark Force, and you intend to throw them, it's best to just use P Throw instead of anything else. You should have enough invincibility with your Dark Force startup that you wouldn't need to use his command throw. More importantly, P Throw is an OS into his unblockable setup: if they don't tech hit the throw, you can deactivate. If they DO Tech Hit, you can go for the combo, C.Mk XX Quick Move, C.Mk XX ES Beast Cannon ("3" hits), then deactivate. This combo is unblockable if you press the first C.Mk as early as possible; the reason being that your active frames on C.Mk will have finished by the time they land, but your Mirages' C.Mks will still be out, and Mirage attacks don't trigger guard states. Incidentally, if Rikuo's timing is sloppy when he uses bubble, this is a decent response to him doing, say, a Dashing something-or-other to follow it up. If he can't time the meaty properly, you can Dark Force right through it while he puts himself at point blank range.

- Also, as difficult as it is, the ES BC unblockable does work on Q-Bee. When I first had this shown to me by Takahashi, I remember he specifically showed it to me on Q-Bee, so I can confirm that for sure. It's also worth noting that any forward motion can be unblockable; it doesn't just have to be 2 -> 9, it can be 2 -> 6 and 2 -> 3. They are just not as practical for continuing the chain. I suppose if you're a total baller, you can do something like, 6 9 2 3 \/ ES Climb Razor, but I haven't tested that, lol.

- another "oki" setup that I see high-level Talbain players doing lately (and that I need to learn to incorporate better) is to just neutral jump where they think the opponent is going to get up. They make sure that they are far enough into their descent that they can do a meaty J.Mk, but they will mix it up with a BC or ES BC to punish AG attempts (and possibly to open up the possibility of more empty jump command throws). This is not a half bad move in neutral situations either, but it is less effective because it can be punished simply be neutral jumping during Talbain's descent (i.e, Talbain jumps straight up and comes down with a Beast Cannon, but his opponent neutral jumps and punishes the whiffed BC on the way down). This possibility is removed when setting it up as a wakeup game.

- It's important to note that Talbain's ability to walk under stuff is useful for more than just projectiles. People who like to try and zone or punish with high attacks (Anak Cobra Blows, most peoples' S.Mp, etc.) can easily whiff Talbain in his walk animation, allowing ample opportunity for high damage counter-attacks.

- Crossup Moment Slice OS: when you think an opponent is going to roll forward, stand where they are going to get up, and neutral jump with J.Lk. Do the Moment Slice chain (C.Lp -> C.Mp xx Moment Slice), and if you picked the right direction, you'll get Moment Slice. Otherwise, you'll get C.Lp -> C.Mp -> C.Mk, which is still not half bad considering you got it with a coin flip.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzwK6vw4xQ#t=9m

Thanks, Skankin. I'll have to incorporate some of that stuff myself. I was actually going to include the 8 j.lk into Moment Slice into the advanced part of Gallon's tutorial, and the walking under people's s.mp and Anakaris's Cobra Blows and such for the punish guide. Originally I was going to put them into this guide, but Gallon has so many ways he can punish people I think he really is deserving of his own punish guide.

been timestamping all kinds of stuff!

- Long dash J.hp & short-hop j.lk crosses up on the (5) short crouchers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFiHW9RNoSE#t=2m12s

- When deactivating DF, Gallon's often do a descending j,.hk so the shadow makes it harder to punish

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFiHW9RNoSE#t=3m8s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFiHW9RNoSE#t=3m34s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhKYZJTY0_s#t=10m36s

More specifically, D.Hp when you do the full dash crosses up quite perfectly when characters roll back after a sweep. Short D.Lk crossup is the standard high/low pressure move against shorties, since dash links don't work on them.

J.Hk is also a pretty important maneuver for safe deactivations. The way that's used mid-screen if you need to deactivate is to just do a backwards D.Hk and deactivate right as you land. It's very hard to chase Talbain through that.