Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroic_Legacy

[VS] Sasquatch: The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas

VS_Header_Sasquatch.png

Sasquatch: A strong character with varying mixups and hella evil with momentum. He can easily wipe you out in 2 combos from full health. Quite possibly the most dangerous command throw in the game.

Pros

-Hop Dash is great for overheads and all around pressure

-Great pokes and anti air normals

-Great air to air game

-Ridiculous damage off s.MP xx EX Typhoon

-Combo off of Big Swallow command throw

-Fullscreen control with 1 meter due to ES Ice Towers

-Momentum is so easy to start

-Super Taunt does damage and can be used in combos. (lolBANANA)

Cons

-Loses to proper zoning and footsies

-Defensive options poor.

-All his command grabs have a lengthy whiff animation

Normals

s.lp - Finger flick. Very good priority and quick. Chain and cancelable.

s.lk - Little foot. Not much range. No use for it. s.lp is better in everyway.

s.mp - 'Talk to the hand' Cancelable. Decent hitbox. Cannot be crouched. Cancel to ES Typhoon for 40%

s.mk - Standing dropkick kinda thing. Very good poke. Can be crouched though.

s.hp - Uppercut. Basically a Shoto's Mexican upper. Stupid priority on jumpers once you learn the timing.

s.hk - Roll in place. Is air unblockable despite Sas being airborne during the duration. Situational AA.

c.lp - Finger poke. Same as s.lp.

c.lk - Foot Hop. Hits low. Non cancelable/chainable. Use this as a low starter after a hop mixup.

c.mp - Eye pokes. Decent hitbox. Not cancelable. Use as chain fodder.

c.mk - Stationary butt. Low. Reaches out a distance and special cancelable. Can be kara canceled into 236P to build more meter.

c.hp - Table Flip. Very good anti-air, anti-jump, anti-poke. Use in a combo to cause them to flip back standing instead of a knockdown. Good to start up more pressure afterwards.

c.hk - Long range sweep. Standard sweep.

j.lp - Thumb to the eye. Quick and good hitbox. Basic air to anything normal. Decent hop starter.

j.lk - Super kick. Very quick, amazing hitbox. Air to air, hopping, you name it. This thing is a godsend.

j.mp - Headbutt. Basic hop overhead. Not much else going for it though.

j.mk - Same as j.lk but a small bit slower for more damage.

j.hp - Hammer. Covers around 240 degrees area around Sasquatch. Instant knockdown on hit. Stupidly good priority.

j.hk - Ass attack. 2 hits. Can be used as an ambiguous crossup. Relatively safe if chicken blocked due to his fall speed.

(Jumping normals are the same as hop normals.)

Specials

Big Breath (236P) - Icy breath. Freezes opponent on hit. Can be used as anti-air sparingly. ES version allows a quick followup combo if you wait for them to settle. Kara c.mk into lp version for fast meter build.

Big Blow (623P) - Wind up punch. No use for this move whatsoever. Maybe a very arrogant tick throw since nobody sees this move. Can be charged for more hits and becomes more unsafe. Knocks down on full charge. ES always knocks down.

Big Typhoon (623K) (GC) - Spinny Leg. Decent hitbox. Not to be used as a poke. Rather unsafe if opponent isn't caught dumbfounded. Can be airblocked. ES version hits once and knocks down for a good chunk of damage. ES Guard Cancel is very fast and does good damage for a GC.

Big Tower (22P) - Ice towers form around him. Alright as an AA. Can be punished on block and air blockable. ES version is amazing. Covers the screen with ice spikes. Can be punished but if they aren't expecting it or if they throw a projectile, free damage/screen control.

Big Swallow (63214P) (Throw) - Swallow and Spit leaves them frozen afterwards. Can combo after anywhere on screen. Basic combo after is shorthop j.mp s.mp EX Typhoon Does about 50%

Big Swing (63214K) (Throw) - Sends them full screen. Sasquatch can use this to get them closer to the corner but really no need since you get more damage from Swallow and still get positioning.

Supers

Big Beam (41236PP) - Spits out a kamehameha ice beam. 1 hit knocks down. Decent damage but not really worth it for the meter. Terrible on block.

Sled Dogs (720KK) (Throw) - Super grab that has Sasquatch dragging you while he rides his sled led by cute huskies. Does 50%. Can follow up with Pursuit afterwards.

Thin Ice (41236KK) (Unblockable) - Super which has quite a bit of range on it. Makes the ground in front of him a hitbox. Can tripguard/catch opponent off guard. Does 50%

Banana (51236Start) (Unblockable) - Super Taunt in which Sas throws a banana peel on the ground. Mainly used to troll. Can be used as a defensive mechanism at times in case a Q-Bee is rushing you down. Just Tech Hit and if it's a H-Tech they will slide into the peel and slip. Does 1 damage and knockdown.

Dark Force

Big Resistor (LP+LK MP+MK) - Super armor while grounded. Hops do not gain armor but instead allow full chains. Can do a loop for 70% (Long Hop: j.lp mp mk hk xN)

Penguin Armor (HP+HK) - Super armor while grounded. Army of penguins follow you and explode at varying distances depending on the button you press. LP in front of you HK full screen. Terrible tool. Troll tactic.

Combos?

c.lk c.mp c.mk c.hk - Basic chain combo ending in sweep. Does good damage and generally safe even on tech hit thanks to c.hk's gigantic hitbox.

c.lk c.mk c.hp - Chain combo ending in a reset state for the opponent in which they are able to be mixed up from a short hop distance away. Good to use when you are opening your opponent up.

s.mp xx ES Typhoon - 1 meter combo that does a large chunk of damage for a hit confirm during footsies.

s.mp xx LP Big Blow - Keeps them standing and you at frame advantage.

c.lk + s.lpx2 +s.mp xx ES Typhoon - Hit confirmable from low into simple damage.

Big Swallow shorthop j.mp s.mp xx ES Typhoon - Basic command throw followup. 50%

Big Swallow j.mp j.mk s.mp xx ES Typhoon - Corner followup for command throw. 60%

(Long Hop) j.lp + j.mp - Simple link to learn while hopping to combo instead of mixing up after the hop ends.

To be continued.

DoMeAFavor: should i pick up sasquach?

DoMeAFavor: he easy?

gbursine: shorthop

DoMeAFavor: just a normal dash, right? oh no, shortened dash, huh?

gbursine: thats his iad

gbursine: ya

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: but i mean does he have easy enough traps and tricks?

gbursine: yo

gbursine: his tricks are

gbursine: priority

gbursine: and damage

gbursine: lol

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: reliable pressure ideas?

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: hehehe

gbursine: reliable pressure

gbursine: shorthops

gbursine: lol

gbursine: i cant do it consistently all the time

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: into what? into what?

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: if i just keep hoping i die

gbursine: sd.mp->sd.mp

gbursine: if it hits

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: totally safe vs daigo?

gbursine: groundchain_>knockdown

gbursine: its safe

gbursine: i forget to do shorthop lk/mk

gbursine: that shits good too

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: what am i mixing that hop w/?

gbursine: low hits

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: clk cmk chk?

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: and command throw

gbursine: w/e

gbursine: both throws

gbursine: tho preferablly the swallow one

gbursine: since you can combo after

gbursine: tho i suck at that one

gbursine: i think the other one's faster

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: how do u do it?

gbursine: hcb+k i think

gbursine: iono

gbursine: its too fucking early

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: whats the point of blowing the little puff?

gbursine: build meter

gbursine: average AA

gbursine: nice recovery

gbursine: and startup

gbursine: not necessarily safe tho

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: good jump ins, assuming you use regular jumps among dashes?

gbursine: j.lk-j.mk

gbursine: j.lk->j.mp

gbursine: j.hp

gbursine: on wakeup

gbursine: j.rk

gbursine: his j.rk is a 2 hit ass attack

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: air to air?

gbursine: good for hops

gbursine: j.lk->j.mk

gbursine: essentially the same animation

gbursine: w/ different frames of shit

gbursine: his df

gbursine: isnt worth it imo

gbursine: unless you've got a good setup

gbursine: & alota free time

gbursine: good only for invincibility

gbursine: tho

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: agreed

gbursine: i'm a sas scrub

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: use meter for big ice beam? lol

DoMeAFavorAndGFY: and ice shield

gbursine: i use ice towers and ES dp+k

gbursine: the most

gbursine: and the occasional hcf+kk

gbursine: slippery ice super

Hey guys, I've been maining Hop-squatch for a little bit and I've come bearing some gifts as to how to play him:

Neutral game- This is important for Sasquatch because he needs his neutral game to setup short hops. you'll find yourself using standing MP, standing lp, and low hk to poke with. if they jump, you can do an EARLY low hp for AA or an ES Ice Tower if you have the meter (hp ice tower sometimes works too). Other important tools are neutral jumping pokes (lp, lk,lk). but you don't want to play a far away game with Sas hardly ever, so try to stay within about s.mp range.

High-Low game: Anyone that has played games like Marvel, BB,GG knows how to play a 50/50 game. With Sas it's the key component to a pretty brutal offense. How do you set this up? By being unpredictable. Use your neutral game to move in and then being your short hop mixups. You'll see a lot of Sas's doing multiple overheads to keep people guessing. Are they blocking your first overhead? Do another! A lot of times you'll see like 3-4 consecutive overheads hitting and then the Sas guy will finish the combo. But the thing is, you're only limited to your imagination and creativity. Another thing I will stress is utilizing Sas's regular dash overhead dash chains. With this you can speed up, slow down, or even catch certain defensive options (tech hit, jump out). And once you can condition people to stop doing these options you can begin to utilize Sas's Big Crunch command throw. This makes Sas a nightmare because once he's in, he controls how you're gonna react to him. Also, you can control what you finish your combo with. For example, you can combo into sweep and go for knockdown oki or you can do low HP and get a reset into a 50/50 mixup. For midscreen I suggest doing a Hard Knockdown. In the corner it's good to reset because they're expecting a knockdown so they can roll. Then you reset them and bam, mixup. Sas can also sparingly do a short hop overhead, 5.mp XX Big Puddle. This is ok to do because you get a gimmicky reset into a super.

Breaking through defensive options: This is something I'm still getting a grasp on, because not only is it a matchup specific thing, but also a player specific thing. Inevitably when you're playing Sasquatch, you're gonna realize "fuck he's countering my ________". One of the most difficult opponents for Sas is someone who will not respect his mixup and just jumps out or hits buttons for EVERYTHING you do. But there's also other annoyances (tech hitting, Guard Cancels, Dark Force). So how do you beat it?

1)Jump out/Mashing: Sas was blessed with tools to stop this kinda stuff and it just takes a moment to identify that your opponent is reacting by jumping out or hitting buttons. You can curtail your options to be anti-jump/mash. One of the simplest ways to accomplish this is a by doing a simple c.lk, c.lk, s.mp. From here you can gauge what the opponent is going to do. A lot of people expect a hop after the mp and will be holding up. So I smack em with a c.hk and get my mixup started anyways. You can also walk forward step and hit another mp. Or you can do a dash mp,mk, lk to tag them as they are jumping out. Again, only limited by your creativity.

2)Tech Hit/Guard Cancel/ Dark Force: Except for the last option, both the other options can be punished pretty heavily by having a good mixup game and knowing Sas's options to break through their options. A lot of good players will stand to block Sas's overheads and try to AG you away. So what do you do? One of Sas's easiest options for breaking through tech hits is to simply use his dash chains. If you switch up the rhythm/normals that people are seeing, it makes you very hard to AG. And even if they do get off the AG, Sas is right back in there. Some examples of strings I use are Dash lp, mp and then immediately dash mp, lp, short hop mk, dash mk, lp. That's 7 overheads that are also anti-jump. GC you can bait by doing short strings on the ground. C.lk c.mk is a good one because the hitbox on Sas's mk makes him duck/avoid a lot of GC's. You can also use throw pressure to bait a lot of GC's. If they are willing to stand there and block, then you can hit them with throws/Big Brunch. Dark Force is hard to deal with, because of invulnerability, but be aware of your situation and how each character's dark force works. Remember which ones have auto-taunt and punish hard with a combo into ES Big Foot or general knockdown.

Also, some notes to fix the OP:

Characters can duck Sas's stand mp. QB, Zabel, Felicia.

When getting corner damage, it's often advantagous to finish w/ cr.hp to force the reset & maintain positioning. I believe following w/ a st.mp is meaty and you can evolve the mixups around that concept.

Sas is a character who loses momentum after a pursuit. Pretty much don't use it unless you intend to kill or setup chip damage

In spite of landing a pursuit being less-than-optimal, whiffing a pursuit with Sasquatch is ballin'. This is especially good if your opponent likes to roll, because you can land as they get up and be in range for your C.Hk, leading to a 50/50 situation; you can warm up their ribs, so to speak, with a few C.Hks until they stop trying to jump back on wakeup, and then you can just do your short hop combos on them all day.

^^

Sasquatch has two dark forces. the penguins aren't very useful. His super armor only works on the ground so he can still be knocked out of the air and knocked down so backdash mp all day when he hops at you.

More importantly sasquatch is from the Canadian rockies not the himalayas you silly goose

What are the stock jump-ins for Datsquatch, both against chicken blockers and just plain jumping in? j.MP > j.MK seems to be the best for a pure jump-in. Not sure what chains to do in the air.

If you expect them to chicken block you do air chain like j.lk j.mk j.hp j.hk, usually you'll land first and get an unblockable jab if you jump second at them.

J.MP - j.MK is a good option just for jumping at them but you really should be hopping at them first and foremost. j.HK also has the ability to cross up and it hits twice so it's my preferred jump in of choice, even neutral jumping predicting a tech roll will give you a free double overhead mixup that j.mp>mk chain gives you but without the ability to cross up.

Is his command grab invincible? The wiki makes no mention of it. I guess it really shouldn't be, considering its damage and his high lows already.

Also, is Sasquatch the most hated character in the game? I have mained high tier rushdown characters in games before (Chie, 3S Makoto, SFxT Lili, etc) but I've NEVER gotten the backlash I'm getting with Sasquatch. People online feel robbed in a way I thought only gimmick grapplers could create.

None of his command throws are invincible to my knowledge, even the 360/720 grabs.

Sasquatch is pretty scumbaggy to most people because he has the ability to just Sasquatch an entire round because the opponent guessed wrong 2-4 times and you capitalized on mixups. Which is pretty much what Q-Bee can do except Sas is just so goddamned happy when he wins people get mad I guess.

I find long hop j.LP > j.MP an acceptable way in, and it even gets people who aren't ready for it. j.LP > j.HK seems to be better at catching chicken guarders, though not guaranteed depending on timing. My question is, are there better strings than these? Should I use something other than j.LP as my starter ever?

Short hop J.mk can be confirmed into landing, st.mp to cover chicken blocking

&

9-Jump falling J.mp is good too b/c the anti-air is hard on some characters and you can OS an air throw.

I feel like a lot of Sasquatch's supremacy is from his ability to AA the cast easily, allowing him to hop in and jump in a bit easier. That being said, how do you stop Hsien-Ko's j.MP? cr.HP trades at best. j.MP beats hops of all sorts, too. I know the damage/health factor in this match-up makes it pretty bad for Ko, but I don't know how to properly deal with her in the footsie game and feel like Sasquatch's chicken block game to stop j.MP isn't that great, but then again I don't really know.

Actually, Sas's AA is not very consistent or reliable. But here, let me answer a few questions that Sas players run into:

"How do I AA _________?"

ES Big Towers.

"How do I stop people from spamming random normals at mid-screen to stop me from doing random dashes?"

ES Big Towers.

Learn to love, ES Big Towers. Hell, even the normal version is good...but, it's not a Hadouken and a Shoryuken at the same time. Only ES Big Towers has that distinction.

It might be better for you to start thinking of anti-air in terms of "what to do about jump-ins" rather than "which moves counter these attacks"...or, at least, that's a better move for Vampire Savior.

For example, as a wolf player, I know that Sas doesn't have a whole lot of consistent AA against me. He can try to C.Hp, but it requires some precise timing, which Talbain can definitely mess with. He can try Big Towers or ES Big Towers, which is a very good move if I'm just jumping in willy-nilly; however, if I decide to block Big Towers, it's bad news for Sas.

On the other hand, one thing Sas does to "anti-air" me (and probably a lot of characters with IADs, like Hsien for example), is to AG my jump-in attack and then immediately respond with a dash. People rarely think to block high/jump after this; you'll usually find that they are crouching, either because they were ready to do their ground chain or because their natural defensive instinct is to crouch block.

The only safe way to beat this "anti-air" of Sas's is to know he's going to do it; then, an opponent can be prepared for the AG, and be prepared to immediately counter his dash. ...but, hey, they're at about mid-screen, throwing a random normal to stop my dash! What can we do about that?

ES Big Towers. (or jump or let them try again to mess with their heads, or whatever)

Now, you've got a whole, complicated mixup game out of simply blocking and AG'ing a jumping attack. Most of the options are in your favor as far as safety and risk/reward goes, all because of two things:

1. We stopped thinking "If they jump with X, I'll counter with move Y", and

2. ES Big Towers. <-----------

If you make a habit of setting this situation up consistently, I guarantee you most of the cast will either stop jumping/dashing at you, or die trying with futility.

Thanks for the advice. You're right that Squatch's AA isn't supreme, but against about half the cast he can simply AA their standard jump-ins for free, and against some of the remaining cast he has options in his normals. My only problem is right now I can't AG off of one hit - I'd love to but outside of using Turbo I require two/three hits. Gotta level up or use a different technique I suppose.

I'm going to try being smarter about my ES BT, and also, it seems his j.LK > j.MK OS j.HK is pretty great if I know they're gonna jump due to j.LK's range and speed. I see Haitani spam that in some match-ups.

Just bear in mind that any character with an air-special/air-dash/any normal that alters their jump arc (i.e Q-bee J.Hp, Jedah J.Hk)/Double Jump can mess you up pretty hard for just trying to anti-air every time they jump in. In fact, the only characters with no ability to do anything like this are Felicia (though he does have her wall jump), Rikuo (though the Hk drill theoretically does this, it's more dangerous than simply jumping), Victor, and...Sasquatch. Every other character can mix up their jumps to create a variety of terrible situations for you. While I'm not saying "never AA an attack", I am definitely saying "Don't just think that because you can AA their attacks, it's always the best solution."

And, yeah. It's very good form for you to practice quick AGs. I don't know if you play on pad or on stick, but if you play on stick, a ton of people here can help you. If you play on pad, I can try to help you, but my button control scheme is apparently batshit crazy.

Stick. Any advice would be great. I tried doing LK + LP + MP + HP, drumming from left to right, but I usually don't get an AG that way, and often get a DF from LK + LP. As of now I do LP + MP + HP right to left to right, 5 presses. It works but I usually require about two hits or so to AG.

Also, I know you from the SaGa Frontier forums way back in the day. You still play that from time to time?

Lk - Lp - Mp - Hp - Hk, from thumb to pinky, is the main way I know of. I'm a pad player, but as far as I'm aware, this is the "standard" way of doing it. If you're getting a Dark Force, it's because you're pressing Lp + Lk at the same time. I guess that sounds obvious, but it's just something you'll have to be aware of. You need to press the buttons quickly, but you need to be absolutely sure you are not pressing them (or any combination of two buttons in your AG motion) simultaneously. Turn on the button input on Training Mode, record a dummy throwing some fireballs, then try to AG them and see what the button display has to say about your AG. This is excellent for troubleshooting your sticking points on execution.

...And, as for your other question. I have a PSX emulator on my phone, and the only ISO I have on my phone is SaGa Frontier. So I guess what I'm saying is, yes, time to time is more like any time I'm bored, lol.

Fairly new VS player here. We have a VS cabinet at the local arcade and it's been getting a lot of play. I'm the only Sasquatch user currently so I need to turn to you guys for help. Here is what I'm having problems with:

1. Fish bubble trap - the fish player here corners me and there's nothing I can do. I read that I'm suppose to Dark Force, but when?

2. Jedah zoning - the local jedah player is nearly always airborne. I can get hits with j. forward, s. fierce, and c. fierce but it doesn't do much damage. He constantly zones me with wheels and airdashes and any hops are either met with a wheel or his airdash attacks.

3. What to do after midscreen knockdown - I know I'm not supposed to pursuit. Right now I've just been doing j. roundhouse on their head and hoping for a 50/50. It's hard for me to do hops if they roll away from me.

EDIT: also if anyone wants to play/help I play on 360 GT: ghost wolves

I also have GGPO on PC but the VS room has been empty the few times I've stopped by.