Sign in to follow this  
TheSlyMoogle

Anji vs. Johnny

fair 5-5 matchup both characters have shitty pressure unless they get the other character in the corner, it's a battle to see who gets stuck in corner pressure first. zoning shitsu works well at distance combos: - sadly he's heavy so no normal hit 2D into force break Rin combos - on the other hand you can do some cool shit here cause you can juggle with 5S5H2D 236S-blah - go for knockdown combos unless you have jacked his guard meter up or he will die from a stronger combo. his lack of ways to deal with shitsu okizeme makes knockdowns highly rewarding

It's really even match up. Johnny has more fire-power but Anji ain't too shabby either. Fire power by little Jo>An. But average game plan seems to favor Anji a little than Jo. So over all, balanced match I'd say. Well, what do I know. I'm just saying what I read from other player's guide.

I actually put this match in Anji's favor from my experience maybe by 5.5-4.5, just cause anji has better risk/rewards in the match up. Butterfly pressure can really fuck up JO, plus HS fujin is specially useful on him, not to mention extended fujin loops.

Is there a particular reason you say H Fujin is good agianst Johnny? what moves/setups/strings in particular? I don't get to play against Johnny players often, only one I ever have played is 4r5. oh yeah I just remembered something annoying, johnny is a heavy so 2D 236S-D won't work on normal hit. bah

Kenji is pretty good with the psychic HSfujin. But if I don't throw anything out, then he can't fujin anything and we're kinda back to where we started. But because he hits those reversal HSfujin's so well, I'm limited to poking with moves that complete quickly.

only one I ever have played is 4r5.

You don't need anybody else.

I didn't say I did XD so you are saying Fujin is better against Johnny than most characters because most of johnny's moves do not recover well when whiffed?

I wouldn't say Fujin is better against Johnny, or anyone else, since Fujin is something nearly the entire cast has to deal with. On the otherhand, I would say that in certain matchups Fujin isn't as good to use.

Now I have bad time remembering matches and what I done. The many matches of me playing Stone's JO, I noticed JO cant punish anji as hard as normal people can. Maybe Stone cant get use to the match up but Anji HS fujin and 6p and other normals just lowered JO's options on the agressive side. Not to mention being able to gaurd point. Anji can J.D/fall over JO 6p easily. theres more stuff but I cant really explain it. Aznhitler gave me some trouble at first cause he plays more defensive but JO cant afford to be put in anji pressure.

A small thing I found out about Anji combos on Johnny. It seemed that all of my SJI combos could be ended with orb no matter where they were done on the screen. I was catching his foot with it after a J.D ending my SJI combos. Pretty sure the combo was air throw > C.s F.s SJI j.k, j.s, j.p (jump) j.p, j.k, j.s, j.D, orb. I was messing around with alot of different variations, so I duno if that was the exact one. But I remember being able to do the same combo and from anywhere on the screen and land an orb at the end by catching the foot. Its a little extra damage if anything.

thanks for the input guys, the combo miracle pizza posted works, I forgot to try omitting the jH on some characters, which is why i failed. from a P stomp you get about 5 more damage from it than the normal combo, so if you remember or fight johnny often, give it a shot scraping the ground for pennies sucks but since anji is low on the bullshit-o-meter, beggars can't be choosers, take what you can get

I'll have to try your variation miracle pizza. It sounds a little easier to pull off. I am so used to starting my air combos with J.k so now it is hard for me to start with anything else =/ I did the P stomp a few times when I was testing, but I seem to land more air throws than I do P stomps. It is a nice starter though, but for some reason I tend to get air thrown out of P stomps (Maybe it is just that predictable when I do it? :P) I wonder if this combo works on another other characters? I tried ABA after Johnny and failed, but I didn't try other heavies (RK, etc) Maybe it is just Johnny's oddly shaped hitbox that allows this combo?

I have this matchup going Anji's way for sure. Anji has better pressure and and technically much easier time landing his damage even though his damage isn't as good as Johnny's. HSfuujin is very good against Johnny as has been mentioned, and obviously can be timed to go through coins eassily (as well as general pokes), if Johnny is using coins predictably just fuujin right through and get your free combo if you have 25% tension. Reversal fuujin's also means he has an easier time escaping pressure, Johnny on the other hand does not, so FB butterfly pressure pretty much beasts him for large periods of time if the Anji can execute the pressure well and has the tension to keep it going (although regular butterfly pressure is still tough for Johnny because he is so shitty on defense anyway). Good blocking, patience and good timing on Hfuujin's should be enough to weed out most Johnny's as well as the general rules of thumb (i.e. save your burst for anytime he lands Level 2 combos). 5.5-4.5 Anji.

essentials haven't changed (johnny having big issues with fuujin and gp by design) but Anji got more tools and became overall more solid. if Anji had the advantage in AC he got slightly more of it now.

It's hard to say either has an advantage. I might just barely give it to Anji, though it really seems like it's become a harder matchup for him, as well.

The essence of this matchup is simple: both players need to respect their tools at neutral. As Johnny, I need to feel like I'm staring down the barrel of a gun when you're at a half-screen's distance. As Anji, you need to fuck with my sense of timing so I can't counter-poke you. The purpose of this is twofold: you want to be able to get me to whiff something, but you also don't want me thinking about hitting you with an anti-air. Once you divert Johnny's focus from that, it opens up another avenue for you to get in.

While Johnny does struggle against Fuujin, it's mainly because his counters to it are pretty strict in terms of timing. He actually has a lot of ways to beat Fuujin (2K, 2S, 2D, c.S OS, f.S OS, 6P, MMF, even coin if you do it from a certain distance), he just has to be bold enough to call it out (hence the respect thing I mentioned before).

Also, you really don't want to over-commit against Johnny. Keep your anti-airs as simple as possible (5P will make short work of most Johnny jump-ins) and don't get too emboldened with GP's/counter-pokes in general.

Once you get Johnny blocking, things become much easier for you. As long as you time meaty butterfly right, he has to respect it. You can really just go nuts on him when he's in the corner.

That being said, Johnny's corner oki is not easy for you to deal with. You can attempt a reversal Fuujin, but all it takes is a well-timed meaty to shut it down. Or hell, he can just throw an upcoin, block, and see what you do.

Sign in to follow this