Sign in to follow this  
TheSlyMoogle

Anji vs. Ky Kiske

Notice how john got the words eat and ass in the same sentance there? Tricksys. I kid, I kid. But seriously, Hs fuujin thru a CSE, all the cool kids do it...* *May or may not be an awesome protip from a hasbeen anji player.

Hey all, I'm looking to try and help my roommate get better at the game. He's chosen Anji as his main and has a lot of issues with my Ky. I play a pretty mean pressure Ky, rushing in with punch starting combos to stun dipper, stun edge, or greed sever. When I get him on the ground, I'll sometimes either do 6HS as he gets up, followed by a 5HS. From there, I'll again go with stun dipper, stun edge, or greed sever, sometimes going into Ky's force break from a charged stun edge, then to the force break follow up. Now, his biggest problems come when I get him in a corner. From there, I'm able to completely lock him down, with him not being able to do anything. Now, we're both more intermediate players, not advanced or noobs. Outside of roman canceling and other more advanced features like that (instant air dash, etc), we got a pretty good handle on the gameplay (we have cancels down, bursts, dead angles, etc). Now the question here...does Anji have other options to get out of a corner, outside of burst and dead angle? Please, go off of how I said I play Ky. If you need more details as to how I play Ky, let me know and I'll give some more details. Thanks in advance.

Now, his biggest problems come when I get him in a corner. From there, I'm able to completely lock him down, with him not being able to do anything.

Permanent lockdown? Against Anji? Not exactly possible.

If your friend finds himself not able to escape the corner, it's probably because he's not taking enough calculated risks. Anji has guard point counters and H-fuujin to help him escape the corner pressure, all it involves is a little bit of precision gambling.

In the corner, try to find patterns of your opponent's attacks. Look for a "punish on reaction" move, and throw out either a 236H or a well placed 6K~(GP)~K (or perhaps instead of 6K you can experiment with 5D).

Of course, you could just patiently block and wait for the split moment that you can escape with.

If Anji's in the corner,the most common escape option he has is to just superjump out at the first opportunity given.The block string has to end sometime (unless it's Eddie).Anji has a lot of options to escape pressure.HS Fuujin grants the most reward,but is baited the most.Autoguards are much more safer IMO(but are harder to pull off).If it's a long blockstring,he can always just FD to push you back and punish the laggy moves you whiff because of the pushback from FD.You can show him in training mode by setting the computer to Normal block and then showing him the difference with Faultless Defense block.IE: Ky 6P 5S 6P 5HS. (The second 6P is optional)

If your friend is getting shutdown in the corner while your Ky, he isn't playing risk games, which he probably should. Like said before, Anji has guardpoints and should be taking advantage of this. Also, it depends on how offensive, defensive, he is. In addition, how does he start a match? Block? 6S? 6P? Also depends on how you start a match. If you try to CSE at a distance and try to rush him, its probably a good idea to superjump. Or he could try to IAD with a K. The former is better. If you IAD towards him... well, things can get weird after that. My friend and I tend to clash moves while in the air if we're in the corner, as messed up as it is. Anji and Ky I figure have a lot of options against each other... Ky having better ones.

Hi-C, next time me and him play each other, I'll let you know. I'll either edit this post or make a new one, depending on whether or not someone else has posted after me. As far as starting a match, it's kind of...random. Neither of us have any set ways, that I've noticed, on how we start. I'll keep an eye out though. About the charged stun edge though, I barely ever go for that. When I do, it's typically for my 6hs > 5hs > cse > force break > follow up force break combo (6hs is optional, but I get a bit more damage with it, and easier for me to time the rest of my combo with), so that plan won't really work against that a whole lot (I'd imagine). About instant air dashing, that's something that's a bit beyond the two of us at the moment.

All he has to do is just block low entirely and then just (super)jump out after the CSE,or just jump airdash.If you're doing Vapor thrust after that,then he'll have to add in Faultless Defense to that jump and then he gets a free punish of whatever combo he desires.Hell,if he's daring,he can just autoguard 6HS(pretty easy to spot) and reverse the oki.There isn't anything to be afraid of if there's no mixup,just block.It's not like it's an Eddie string where he has 3 free mixups(well...technically 4 if he gives up the followups after the string). But the typical string I see with Ky is 5K 5S 5HS 2D or 5K (5S) 5D or something similar to that (there can be a tick throw as well).It's basic stuff but it works wonders until you want to get more creative.

I'm just learning like 3/4's of Ky's moves are practically lows. Not to mention my friend doesn't play a good Ky. xP So, I can spam 6S and win. -.- I know basic counters to Ky, but half the time, I can do basic random hits and still win the match without playing with a strat. But yeah, Eddie is a bitch when he's got little-E out. Such a pain... doable, but a pain. Besides, 5H~5H~CSE , couldn't we simply 2D or 6S or H/S~Fuujin to CH before the lightning rips out? I've gone through like the very opening of CSE with S~Fuujin before. Not sure if its luck or if it really dodges.

The string 6HS-->5HS-->CSE (Forcebreak) is being used as an oki string.If it's a meaty (which it'll most likely be),you're not going to be able to 2D or 6S.HS Fuujin is possible.The CSE Force Break comes out too fast for Anji to do anything about it,and it stays active long enough to shut down HS Fuujin.And yes...3/4 of Ky's strings typically include lows,but just watch out for the overheads...they'll come.

Yeah, watch for Ky's overheads. You may think 214K (Greed Sever) is too slow, but somehow it hits crouching people more than it should :kitty:

Yeah, watch for Ky's overheads. You may think 214K (Greed Sever) is too slow, but somehow it hits crouching people more than it should :kitty:

Yeah seriously, what's up with this?

I'm not saying I don't occasionally eat it too, but the way the move is designed you would think people'd by blocking it more. Very strange.

Apparently popular matchup is popular these days. I'm gonna have to breathe some life into the others.

Dawn - I was talking about a normal CSE. I find that CSE forcebreak>forcebreak is too easily blocked. All the people I've played who've used the move never were able to hit me with it. >.> They always did it around mid-screen or in my face. Yeah people, I can't see you pulling out giant lightning ball to lightning blade attack. Just FD it. I always thought the move was a waste of tension anyways. Even the computer doesn't do it, it just does CSE forcebreak and proceeds with a basic rush. Greed Sever I thought was a sort of block mix up. Get em with a ton of lows then pop out a mid-high block move. I get hit like every other time. >.<

I never used the follow up overdrive FB.I didn't even mention it...but the CSE FB is to keep them blocking and it's sort of a string reset because after that ball hits,I think Ky has advantage?(It just seems like it,I never checked the frame data for Ky so I might be wrong).And I have done it btw,the follow-up is used as a round finisher move(and prevents burst).Any other uses of the move is a general waste of tension.

Dawn - I was talking about a normal CSE. I find that CSE forcebreak>forcebreak is too easily blocked. All the people I've played who've used the move never were able to hit me with it. >.> They always did it around mid-screen or in my face. Yeah people, I can't see you pulling out giant lightning ball to lightning blade attack. Just FD it. I always thought the move was a waste of tension anyways. Even the computer doesn't do it, it just does CSE forcebreak and proceeds with a basic rush.

Greed Sever I thought was a sort of block mix up. Get em with a ton of lows then pop out a mid-high block move. I get hit like every other time. >.<

Yeah, that's why I always try to combo into it up close rather than doing it from mid screen.

I never used the follow up overdrive FB.I didn't even mention it...but the CSE FB is to keep them blocking and it's sort of a string reset because after that ball hits,I think Ky has advantage?(It just seems like it,I never checked the frame data for Ky so I might be wrong).And I have done it btw,the follow-up is used as a round finisher move(and prevents burst).Any other uses of the move is a general waste of tension.

Hmmm...well, I do seem to be able to move quicker after my roommate blocks. However, I'm not too sure how much of that is me just thinking to move quicker (unlike him, maybe) and how much of that is actually an advantage. As for the finisher, well...if I manage to connect with the 6HS, I get a pretty damaging combo off of the forcebreak follow up finisher, so...

Orb is +8 on block. I don't really recommend Fuujin thru CSE at all. unless Ky threw it out randomly. Which I don't think most Ky's would do that. For Oki I think Ky would've recovered about the time your getting up pretty much. Just Block. It's not like Ky's pressure is endless.

Sign in to follow this