Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regalstirling

One of the many "Hi, I'm from SF4 and need help learning wtf is going on" threads

OK, Im coming over from SF4, and Ive wanted to be able to play this game for a while, but none of my friends do, so it has been hard to learn.

Ive played through some challenge mode, and gotten some combos down very reliably, but pressure, footsies, mix-ups, and wake-up game all seem to just work so differently in this game that I can rarely get in on people and open them up without getting counter hit A LOT. When I do land a combo, the opponent is knocked far away/can air tech/can roll and I cannot keep any oki pressure on.

My turtle-ing attempts have not gone much better.

Are there some dumb habits that typical SF players usually bring over that anyone can tell me to get rid of?

Are these problems ones that can only be solved through practice?

Should I be choosing a main before I really feel comfortable with the game? I dont want to dedicate myself to a character and then once I learn the game, decide that they werent for me. Yet the chracters are SO distinct in BB that I feel like maybe picking one and sticking to it from day 1 is a necessity (whereas in SF I learned on Ryu to get basics and later switched to Adon).

Should I be embarrassed that i cant even beat the AI consistently in score-attack mode?

Who allowed tager to do so much damage?

any advice at all. If anyone is on XBL with a mic and wants to play sometime, Id be very grateful. kick my ass and tell me how you did it, please. My XBL name is: Regal Stirling

Thanks in advance for reading my very long post and helping me out!

Well, I see many people complaining about this, and my answer is: just play it.

As every new game, you just have to get confident to it. Make Arcade mode with some character or story or whatever before challenge mode..those are for combo. For the basic just remind that in many cases you can do A->B->C->super and it's ok, you'll get how to move 8airdash and so on) just with experience.

That works also on GG :P

Well, I don't know what level you were at in Street Fighter 4, but while there are significant differences between the two games, the answer, sadly, is that you have to learn to play BB in much the same way you learned to play SF4 - with lots of practice.

A few things that are obviously different about BB and how it might help to think about them:

#1) Everyone is a heck of a lot more mobile. Most characters can run (rather than those ghetto SF4 'dash' things), and everyone except Tager can double jump or airdash during a jump. (Most characters can only double jump OR airdash during any given jump, but some characters like Tao can do multiple "air actions" during a single jump.). This means that jumping overall is significantly safer since you aren't necessarily committing to being in a particular spot when you jump. Also, you can block in the air. :P

#2) To balance out the added, most characters have one or more 'anti-air' moves that are actually invulnerable to airborne attacks for at least part of their duration. These moves prevent jumpins from being 'free'. For the characters I see you have interest in, these moves are Tao's 6A, Tsubaki's 2C, Carl's 2C and Valkenhayn's wolf 5B (And kinda also his human form 6A). Defensively, learning to use these moves to beat jump-ins is key. Offensively, learning how to jump in without getting hit by this sort of thing (generally by catching your opponent off guard, or by creative use of double-jump) is key.

#3) Spacing and 'footsies' are still absolutely fundamental, but more complicated.

#4) Blockstrings play a much more significant role than they do in SF4 - in SF4 blockstrings are generally limited to a couple of linked normals, and maybe a special at the end, and don't really involve much 'mixup'. In BB, blockstrings are generally longer, and may contain lows and highs that need to be blocked on reaction or anticipation. There are also usually 'holes' in them where a careful defender can force an opening with a "dragon punch" like move by using Instant block.

#5) Characters do weird stuff. There's no real way to adapt to this other than to get experience playing against the whole cast.

I'd suggest you take the time to go over Dustloop's very solid System Guide. It's a LOT of information to absorb all at one go, but reading it over at least once will at least get the ideas simmering.

Beyond that - practice. If you don't want to get beat up online, doing Arcade Mode or even Training Mode with a CPU dummy will give you a chance to feel out your character and get a handle for how to start landing combos. Don't be ashamed if Score Attack blows you up - especially Tager, who can be hard to deal with due to the CPU's magic reactions and not actually needing to do joystick inputs.

I'm on XBL, and while I don't claim to be an expert, I might be able to lend a bit of a hand. What time zone are you?

A big thing you're goign to have to learn is the diversity of the cast is kinda on a different level. SF4 has you comparing characters by their more subtle difference (In the extreme, how Ryu is different from Ken, but that's an outlier). Here, no-one plays the same, combos have a lot of their own rhythm depending on who you are. And there's a lot more to consider that just maximising damage, a few more little gauges to keep an eye on and a few more limitations (Contrary to what was said above, A>B>C>special doesn't always work with most characters, and it seldom leads to any good damage). For now I reckon you should stick to a character whose drive is actually an attack button of sorts, because trying to get your head around something fiddly like Rachel's wind will give you headaches.

For now I reckon you should stick to a character whose drive is actually an attack button of sorts, because trying to get your head around something fiddly like Rachel's wind will give you headaches.

This is good advice, and I meant to put something to this effect into my post and forgot. x.x

Starting with Ragna, Jin, Noel, Bang or Tager is probably safest - even though Tao and Hazama and Arakune technically have attacks on their drives. Makoto, Tsubaki and Platinum aren't bad either.

But really, kinda like Street Fighter where you can learn the basics with Ryu, here, you can pretty much learn the basics with Ragna.

Well, I don't know what level you were at in Street Fighter 4, but while there are significant differences between the two games, the answer, sadly, is that you have to learn to play BB in much the same way you learned to play SF4 - with lots of practice.

A few things that are obviously different about BB and how it might help to think about them:

#1) Everyone is a heck of a lot more mobile. Most characters can run (rather than those ghetto SF4 'dash' things), and everyone except Tager can double jump or airdash during a jump. (Most characters can only double jump OR airdash during any given jump, but some characters like Tao can do multiple "air actions" during a single jump.). This means that jumping overall is significantly safer since you aren't necessarily committing to being in a particular spot when you jump. Also, you can block in the air. :P

#2) To balance out the added, most characters have one or more 'anti-air' moves that are actually invulnerable to airborne attacks for at least part of their duration. These moves prevent jumpins from being 'free'. For the characters I see you have interest in, these moves are Tao's 6A, Tsubaki's 2C, Carl's 2C and Valkenhayn's wolf 5B (And kinda also his human form 6A). Defensively, learning to use these moves to beat jump-ins is key. Offensively, learning how to jump in without getting hit by this sort of thing (generally by catching your opponent off guard, or by creative use of double-jump) is key.

#3) Spacing and 'footsies' are still absolutely fundamental, but more complicated.

#4) Blockstrings play a much more significant role than they do in SF4 - in SF4 blockstrings are generally limited to a couple of linked normals, and maybe a special at the end, and don't really involve much 'mixup'. In BB, blockstrings are generally longer, and may contain lows and highs that need to be blocked on reaction or anticipation. There are also usually 'holes' in them where a careful defender can force an opening with a "dragon punch" like move by using Instant block.

#5) Characters do weird stuff. There's no real way to adapt to this other than to get experience playing against the whole cast.

I'd suggest you take the time to go over Dustloop's very solid System Guide. It's a LOT of information to absorb all at one go, but reading it over at least once will at least get the ideas simmering.

Beyond that - practice. If you don't want to get beat up online, doing Arcade Mode or even Training Mode with a CPU dummy will give you a chance to feel out your character and get a handle for how to start landing combos. Don't be ashamed if Score Attack blows you up - especially Tager, who can be hard to deal with due to the CPU's magic reactions and not actually needing to do joystick inputs.

I'm on XBL, and while I don't claim to be an expert, I might be able to lend a bit of a hand. What time zone are you?

that seems like a lot of good info, Im in NC, so east coast time. feel free to add me.

Your sig says you're clicking with Carl? Sweet Jesus. Not saying don't try, but you'll really earn my respect if you manage to get good with him, if you know what I mean.

Your sig says you're clicking with Carl? Sweet Jesus. Not saying don't try, but you'll really earn my respect if you manage to get good with him, if you know what I mean.

when I say clicking with him, I just mean itd be cool as hell to play him, haha. Its just a really sick character idea, and I was finding him more intuitive than say, arakune or rachel.

Sorry to be nitpicky about this but Carl's 2C is actually a horrible move to use as an anti-air. 6A is a much better move for this purpose.

Regal, props to you if you go through with learning Carl. It won't be easy but it feels rewarding once you get even the basics down with Carl.

when I say clicking with him, I just mean itd be cool as hell to play him, haha. Its just a really sick character idea, and I was finding him more intuitive than say, arakune or rachel.

Yeah, those two use really nonstandard comboing techniques that can take a while to get your head around (A,B,C really doesn't work here). I take it you're trying to stay away from like likes of Jin due to them just being a bit SF-y.

Sorry to be nitpicky about this but Carl's 2C is actually a horrible move to use as an anti-air. 6A is a much better move for this purpose.

Why is it so bad? It's not particularly slow, and it's got good head invulnerability. Is it a hitbox thing? 6A looks like it would require crazy timing to actually use the invulnerability.

I make no claim to being a Carl expert though. :P

Why is it so bad? It's not particularly slow, and it's got good head invulnerability. Is it a hitbox thing? 6A looks like it would require crazy timing to actually use the invulnerability.

I make no claim to being a Carl expert though. :P

2C's hitbox sucks, it's unsafe on block and the invincibility isn't even there from frame 1. 6A's head invincibility lasts throughout the entire move. It does require a bit of timing to use it but it's still not very hard to use offline (online...:vbang:)

2C's hitbox sucks, it's unsafe on block and the invincibility isn't even there from frame 1. 6A's head invincibility lasts throughout the entire move. It does require a bit of timing to use it but it's still not very hard to use offline (online...:vbang:)

Most of that is irrelevant - frame 1 head invulnerability is super rare on anti air moves and most are unsafe on block in some fashion - but I totally missed the full duration head invulnerability on 6A, I only noticed the feeble little frame 1-4 upper body invulnerability, which threw me off.

Yeah, those two use really nonstandard comboing techniques that can take a while to get your head around (A,B,C really doesn't work here). I take it you're trying to stay away from like likes of Jin due to them just being a bit SF-y.

ya, my thinking was: If I wanted to play jin, I could kinda just play ryu and akuma in MvC3 and get the same basic thing.

Well if you prefer links and footsies then there's always Hakumen. That's basically his entire game. With a big pile of explosively powerful combos.

Well if you prefer links and footsies then there's always Hakumen. That's basically his entire game. With a big pile of explosively powerful combos.

footsies are nonsense in this game. Ill be learning a character, and constantly just look at moves being like: wow this is a great poke. Then when I throw it out online, the other player does some Drive gimmick or something that makes my poke irrelevant and gets me with a huge combo.

footsies are nonsense in this game. Ill be learning a character, and constantly just look at moves being like: wow this is a great poke. Then when I throw it out online, the other player does some Drive gimmick or something that makes my poke irrelevant and gets me with a huge combo.

Nonsense. You'll destroy another player if your footsies are better.

It just means you're not there yet.

Although there are some characters that pretty much negate it.

Nonsense. You'll destroy another player if your footsies are better.

It just means you're not there yet.

Although there are some characters that pretty much negate it.

clearly its just different than in SF. the mobility fucks with my head too much rightnow. Considering just playin marvel instead, haha.

Marvel is pretty lulz worthy those games are and have always been a broken shitfest of who plays the gayest.

If you have a hard time learning BlazBlue don't pick up Marvel

Also Marvel 3 has the worst netcode in fighting game history

Clearly you need to work more at the game obviously skill doesn't just come to you you have to truly earn it (especially with someone like Carl or Tao) and the more you play the more you'll get. I suggest making a player room and label it for beginners only and maybe you'll meet some people around your level who you can play with and constantly grow better with.

But really, kinda like Street Fighter where you can learn the basics with Ryu, here, you can pretty much learn the basics with Ragna.

Ignore this nonsense and the guy that said learning rachel's wind will give you headaches. just pick who you like and learn them. learning how to use ragna's drive moves will do little good when it comes to mastering carl's nirvana or rachel's wind.

Okay, The above made almost no sense.

Airk is right, Ragna is solid to learn the basics, and he isn't that hard to get good with. (DISCLAIMER FOR THE SENSITIVE SQUAD: Ragna is "not" a noob character, I'm sure you'd beat me, im a scrub, Ragna is 1337 whatever.)

He teaches Anti Airs, Spacing, Specials, Basic Air Combo's, Corner combo's, Miscreens, Powerup Distortions and "Damage" Distortions, Mixup, Hitconfirms and whatever. No special conditions or powers, Just him and his offense.

Exactly; Ragna is not a "noob" character (there really aren't any) but he's not FANCY. You don't have to understand wind, or charge, or wolf cancels, or whatever, so you're free to focus on the 'basics' - spacings, hitconfirms, blahblah etc. He's also got a pretty good and relatively traditional footsies game, which makes him easier for folks coming from other games.

Can you just pick whoever and go? Sure. I did (Admittedly, Tsubaki isn't a particularly hard character to do that with either, but there's a level of complexity above Ragna). The same way you can learn Street Fighter from the ground up using Dhalsim, but if you're looking to get a feel for the GAME before settling on a character, Ragna is probably the best choice.

btw everyone, might I just compliment you all on being considerably more helpful, active, and thoughtful than the SRK community was when Ive made similar posts there about marvel.

btw everyone, might I just compliment you all on being considerably more helpful, active, and thoughtful than the SRK community was when Ive made similar posts there about marvel.

SRK community has more than enough members. BB community is understaffed. That explains the differences in attitude.