Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regalstirling

One of the many "Hi, I'm from SF4 and need help learning wtf is going on" threads

Ignore this nonsense and the guy that said learning rachel's wind will give you headaches. just pick who you like and learn them. learning how to use ragna's drive moves will do little good when it comes to mastering carl's nirvana or rachel's wind.

Pretty much this. Pick a character you like not one based on ease of use. BB is my first fighting game and I picked Mu. She's crazy complicated for someone who's never played any fighting game beyond button mashing AT ALL before CS, but I would not have nearly as much fun if I was using another character. I'm glad I stuck with my choice despite the learning curve. The difference between this game's characters and SF's is the variety. No one character will really help you with other characters. Basics yes, how the system generally works...but imo any character has the potential to teach you basics. Ragna is just the best choice for this.

I agree on the fact that starting off slow is good, but I firmly believe in playing who you enjoy no matter what the execution barrier is. If they're stupid easy or crazy hard if you like them you're gonna have fun learning them. :3

alright, well update for everyone: I think Taokaka and tsubaki are out of the picture. every character seems pretty tough to learn, so might as well learn a REAL hard one that I like more. so Carl, here I come.

Carl is not THAT difficult. Most of the part is to get used in controlling two charachter at once, and to work pressing and releasing D, as well as to proper play in a way you learn to position Nirvana . Nothing impossible, it comes with experience, I think that the dog with Zappa in GG is more difficult to control :o

alright, well update for everyone: I think Taokaka and tsubaki are out of the picture. every character seems pretty tough to learn, so might as well learn a REAL hard one that I like more. so Carl, here I come.

Carl is one of those characters you have to go "all in" on to be any good with him at all. You either get raped with him or can manage all of his different aspects. Other characters like Hakumen or Ragna let you improve over time.

For instance, you can just do B > C > Hell's Fang with Ragna. A simple combo that's easy to do. With Carl though if you can't use Nirvana and keep out opponents and then trap them between you and Nirvana for mixup and such then you're going to get raped.

It's still worth doing it though. He's just not the pick up and play type.

combo rhythm is really different compared to sf or even bb chars, since you have to do d presses while simultaneously doing gatlings

try him out in challenge mode to get a feel for it

Carl is probably one of if not THE most complex character in the game. The negative edge aspect of all his Nirvana moves, and having to manipulate the doll WHILE doing other stuff push him, in my opinion, to a whole new level. I have tremendous respect for Carl players, even when it looks like they're just cheaping their way to victory with "easy" resets. ;)

Since this guy comes from SF he doesn't need that much training on how to fight. The differences between an anime fighter and SF he can pick up on his own with any character via playing. Just keep in mind that footsies is not really how this game is played due to the abundance of options.

Use the character you want to use, it works out better. I'd only tell a player to play Ragna/Jin first if he was completely new to FGs and even then I probably wouldn't if I knew they had the dedication to not quit the game. Just be wary that Carl has a very steep learning curve and high execution levels.

*Raises Hand* I think Rachel is harder to learn than Carl. *waits for beating*

Ive been hitting up training mode. Definitly a higher level of execution that Taokaka for combos. But Tao required that high level for drive cancel mix-ups/cross-ups. If I can get a 2C with carl, the back-and-forth between carl and nirvana isnt too hard and does lots of damage. Other, harder combos I drop before they do enough damage alot, but they make for easy resets. I think carls complexity could be worse.

that being said: IF THERE ARE ANY CARL PLAYERS THAT WANT TO PLAY ME AND HELP ME OUT: ADD ME: REGAL STIRLING.

*Raises Hand* I think Rachel is harder to learn than Carl. *waits for beating*

Hrmm, depends what level you refer to. Learning to use wind at fixed points in set pieces (read: combos and blockstrings) is easy enough. Always knowing how much wind you have without needing to look in order to maximise your combos is harder. Using wind as a precise mobility aide and hindrance is an art.

Ive been hitting up training mode. Definitly a higher level of execution that Taokaka for combos. But Tao required that high level for drive cancel mix-ups/cross-ups. If I can get a 2C with carl, the back-and-forth between carl and nirvana isnt too hard and does lots of damage. Other, harder combos I drop before they do enough damage alot, but they make for easy resets. I think carls complexity could be worse.

that being said: IF THERE ARE ANY CARL PLAYERS THAT WANT TO PLAY ME AND HELP ME OUT: ADD ME: REGAL STIRLING.

If i happen to go over to my friends house today ill add you and try to get some matches in.

Cool.

To keep this on topic, regalstirling: don't worry about execution. No characters in this game have an insurmountable execution barrier, but you do need practice and dedication. Only worry about it if you're easily discouraged or don't want to put so much effort into the game.

Realtalk, BB's exec isn't cake. It's not HOW DO I GET THIS WTF, but it's not cake.

You want easy exec? Go play Arcana, and learn your bnbs within 5 tries

You're right. 100%

Kind of wish I would have just worded it like that.

My services are available for a nominal fee. :P

Combo's are one thing, No matter what the game. Spacing and using a specific combo for the situation on the fly is something all together different.

Heavy execution never makes a game better imo. If something is INFURIATINGLY hard, that can be detrimental to the actual gameplay. If you have to focus too much on "Oh god what if I drop this combo" you have less time to focus on the other more important aspects of the game. I mean, I can appreciate the execution is takes to play some of the harder GG characters, although that doesn't make GG a better game in itself, and it also doesn't make BB a bad one. Besides, difficulty does not equal execution. Being able to do a combo is one thing, but being able to play good footsies, mixup, yomi, etc etc to set it up so you can actually USE it is a totally different ballgame. Thats what makes a game, not super hard combos.

Don't get me wrong I'd totally get into GG if I had it though lol.

But yeah, Carl is a tough character as far as BB standards go execution wise. Thats the truth of the matter really.

well, after my thread got hijacked (trolled?) I am back. The execution for anyone is still real hard for me. I drop FADCs in SF to this day, now and then. But I acknowledge that the gap between high execution chars and low execution chars is not as big and scary as it first seemed, and not letting it keep me from trying Carl.

I am in the process of moving, so I havent been playing much, but I can get a couple reps of carls combo with his 26 and nirvana's 8[D], which is a good amount of damage for very little execution, so tahts making me feel good. Also, Carl's dad being announced is awesome. If I eventually get the hang of carl, it will be right when Relius is released and I will have to switch, haha. Then once I master him theyll release Jubei, no doubt.

Well, anyway, thanks for keeping the advice incoming. Hope to play some of you online in the near future.

lol way to go off topic guys!

If what you're about to post something doesn't really help answer the OP's question or isn't a question related to his, you probably shouldn't post it. Just move along and go to the flame boards!

Anyway, welcome Regalstirling and glad to hear you're having success!

Edit: Cleaned it up abit, lemme know if I too hastily deleted something. (sorry I was away there for awhile)

Add me on XBL: My Awesome Afro

I'm on a fair bit and I play everyone. (Apart from Carl, surprisingly) So I can point you in some direction, and play you a lot if you really want. Plus, it's easier to answer all your question with my actual voice.

Add me on XBL: My Awesome Afro

I'm on a fair bit and I play everyone. (Apart from Carl, surprisingly) So I can point you in some direction, and play you a lot if you really want. Plus, it's easier to answer all your question with my actual voice.

Hey, I was tryin to play with you earlier but the internet was doin weird things, and it wouldnt let me join your room or party. I dunno if you go the messages I sent you either. But Im at my moms for a few days while i wait for my new house to open up, so I should have better internet soon. Its probably for the best, my scrubbiness is still embarrassing. Id say I drop 9/10 combos that i start, haha.

Cross Continent Connection for the fucking loss.

I got your messages. I think im overdue some Port Forwarding and Netspace clearance.

Should be OK to play tomorrow.

OK, serious question time: how the fuck do you get out of corner pressure? Ive found myself mashing Shoryuken out of instinct. Otherwise I either: eat huge combos and die or use up all of my barrier gauge, then eat huge combos and die. Sometimes I get counterhit out of jabs or throw attempts and eat huge combos and die. Is there some equivalent to SRKs, like a move with invincibility on wake-up or something?

It's character specific really. Depends on who you're fighting and who you're using. A lot of characters have different options against things. I dunno what Carl's options are, so some semi-universal tatics:

Super jump > barrier/airdash etc over stuff works sometimes if you're careful, if you're knocked down sometimes tech-rolling out of the corner works (provided you're fighting someone who doesn't normally punish forward techrolls.) You can use barrier for pushblock, to get them out of range faster...counter assault if you have meter.

OK, serious question time: how the fuck do you get out of corner pressure? Ive found myself mashing Shoryuken out of instinct. Otherwise I either: eat huge combos and die or use up all of my barrier gauge, then eat huge combos and die. Sometimes I get counterhit out of jabs or throw attempts and eat huge combos and die. Is there some equivalent to SRKs, like a move with invincibility on wake-up or something?

Vivace, but only when you see the opportunity

The whole not having a "gtfo" option with Carl just comes with playing him :v:

Brio on wakeup when nirvana is next to where your opponent is and where your teching

Vivace is good id suggest IB Vivace

Once someones in you really gotta be on your blocking/IB'ing though i'm sure your net playing alot so just try to learn other characters blockstrings and react accordingly

Training mode :toot: