Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evilben

Ultimate MvC3

But it's being put back up as "Skullgirls Encore" with the Squigly DLC around January .

oh that's good.

So apparently this game, the Vanilla version and MVC2 are being de-listed/removed from both PSN and XBL stores, along with all DLC.

Disney now owns Marvel right? They saw Skylanders as successful, so they jumped on the "gotta buy em all to win" bandwagon and made Infinity. They see Injustice succeeding, and want to have their own thing. Sure, the MvC series is hugely popular and pretty successful, but if they cut out Capcom, which they're fully capable of doing now that they're going balls-in on making games instead of animating, they'll get more money.

Makes me wonder what game would take it's place as the main center of attention at events if it somehow dies from this.

I don't think Marvel would die because of this, but I could see Disney eventually withholding it from Evo, just like Nintendo wasn't going to allow Smash. Major tournaments probably wont be allowed, and without that "I could win tons of monies at insert-national-tournament-here and become famous" incentive, I definitely see most of the player base moving to other games. The hardcore fans that play it because they love it will still play it though.

I'd like to see Skullgirls get more recognition. That game is awesome and the dev team works hard, but they just can't catch a break. Konami sucks, and then their JP publisher just got borked too if I'm not mistaken. I'm just not sure they'd get to replace MvC3 at major events in the case that Disney steps in, since the main reason to remove MvC would be to put in their own game. Disney is also the type of company that would do so at a loss, just to strengthen their brand, so they'd likely do whatever they could to keep direct competition out.

But that's a lot of speculation, based mostly on hearsay and rumors. But if LoL can make tons of money by sponsoring players so they can be advertising for their game, and make money selling seats at events at the Staples Center, Disney is probably thinking about ways to get a piece of that, and FG tournaments are already proven with MvC. They just have to start by cutting the "C" part so they don't have to split anything with anyone.