Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Firekid2

"Darkstalkers are not dead" The future of this series:

I really wish the revival game had MvC3 art-style over SFIV, I've grown so fond of Morrigan and Felicia's and Talbaineratsu designs in it and would like to see the whole cast like that....

fuck Hsien-Ko

I'm guessing that it will be quite a while before Capcom shows anything on this game. The presentation of this trailer looked more MVC3 than SSF4 to me.

Hopefully this means that the only female character with oversized hands is Felicia.

Still so worried...

You know, DS' original art style (by Bengus) would actually fit in using with the exaggerated proportions used in SFIV.

victor-original.jpg

thumb-35177.jpg

In any case SFIV itself was an attempt to copy some of the exaggerated proportions of early SFII art, before Bengus went all "animu" with the Alpha series.

Hopefully this means that the only female character with oversized hands is Felicia.

Capcom females had oversized "man hands" as far back as 1994.

1aa909cda48a4dd2adaea8d764f03d65.jpg

Here's the portraits list from the video:

LeiLei & Cabinet DS1

Victor & Cabinet DS3

Morrigan & Demitri

???(Wings) & Gallon

Bulleta & Qbee

Sasquatch & Donovan

Jedah & Zabel

Cannot make out one character, but I assume it's Lilith.

...if people play Night Warriors. Has the best OST in the series, IMO.)

While it may not be the most celebrated title in the series, NW is my personal favorite. The OST is one of the reasons too.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little tempted to get the Resurrection bundle even though I shouldn't. Little that has been shown already promises smear filters and Mr Lau's uncalled for art. Besides, I doubt the sales of this quick cash-in will have any sort of effect on the upcoming sequel.

And as for it, the idea of 3D graphics per se don't bother me. As the_d3v mentioned, the series trademark style has always featured bizarre proportions like those seen in SFIV. 3D graphics themselves have been improving in terms of creating very outlandish effects. Anyone here played/plays Max Anarchy? The likes of Garuda and Oinkie pretty much confirm that Phobos and Victor are very viable to create in 3D.

Still, there are things that still seem impossible to replicate in 3D. Things Darkstalkers is shock full of. Characters get burned, frozen, cut in half horizontally, cut in half vertically, turned into basketballs, turned into random objects, perform bizarre seppukku rituals, etc etc. Some of these are what make me fear for the game in 3D graphics. Besides being difficult to recreate, most of these things risk being excluded for the sake of not boosting the ratings. Even if doable, I doubt they'd still keep things like Lilith's nekkid super, Jedah's self-mutilations and most side-effects of Bishamon's repertoire.

And another hope/demand: keep Fukasawa the fack away from the project. I love the OSTs for Chaos Legion and Onimusha Dawn of Dreams so this isn't something I say lightly, but the guy just keeps getting worse with every new game he works on. By DS4, he'll likely just do 2 hours worth of wub wub wub womp womp wub wub wub.

Can't suggest anyone else unfortunately. Capcom lost Ueda and Kondoh and they don't have talents like Meguro, Ishiwatari or Yamane. TvC does have a great remix of Morrigan's theme and the castle stage theme isn't too shabby either.

i'm really scared about this "Pack" they even changed the charcter icons in the select screen, WHY? the new ones are horrible, this new add was entirely pointless

now imagine the complete game....brrrrr

i hope this time capcom will assume REAL testers

i also agree with Balder

stuff about OST

They still have a handful of the original composers at their disposal.

-Tetsuya Shibata

-Masato Kouda

-Akari Kaida Groves

-Hideki Okugawa

There's your DS4 music team.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little tempted to get the Resurrection bundle even though I shouldn't. Little that has been shown already promises smear filters and Mr Lau's uncalled for art. Besides, I doubt the sales of this quick cash-in will have any sort of effect on the upcoming sequel.

You forget that this is the same exact capcom that was holding megaman legends ransom by telling people to buy a demo for the 3ds, and then canceling the release of the demo anyway.

Now obviously they're not going to cancel DSR because it's mostly done anyway, but it wouldn't shock me if they cancel DS4. Fighting game sales are dropping (along with game sales in general) and the fact that tekken tag 2 just recently bombed is very bad for future fighting game releases. Basically capcom is debating to continue funding a game that right now has a niche audience, and releasing it in a market that they over saturated.

But honestly I personally could care less if DS4 gets canned, I'm just happy that we're finally getting a decent console port of vsav.

This is kinda cool what capcom is doing with Darkstalkers right now. Just like everyone else I'm kinda skeptic about bringing that franchise back into a modern capcom fighter but, perhaps they could build up a new game from the ground up without losing any of its charm that fans loved in the first place. So who knows what they're gonna do with DS4 all I know is that I'm gonna grab that resurrection bundle when it comes out considering GGPO hates my isp.

There's your DS4 music team.

True. I love the classy tunes Shibata did for DMC3.

If DS4 is really going to happen, I get the impression Fukasawa will handle it. It's good if we get remixed themes (mostly the NW OST and some VS tunes for the rest). Just as long as dubstep stays the hell way from it, I'll consider myself happy.

Music is the least of my concerns though. As mentioned, my true concern is the series trademark black humor being beaten to a inch of it's life by the censor pipe.

You forget that this is the same exact capcom that was holding megaman legends ransom by telling people to buy a demo for the 3ds, and then canceling the release of the demo anyway.

MML3 was weird. I'm not a MM fan but even I think it was a cheapshot against the fans. IMHO it also had to do with Inafune. I can't shake the notion Capcom still has some major beef with him.

But "exact same Capcom"? Normally I'd fully agree and spew some venom of my own but I think that with all the bad publicity they finally "got real", so to speak. I can't think of a better example than Dragon's Dogma. Their most expensive project yet and a game they expected to sell 10 millions. It barely sold 1. They've come to say they're pleased with the results and plan on turning it into a franchise. And there's still a lot more post-launch content to come. Not something to expect from 2010-onward Scumbag Capcom. And they're still supporting SFxT even though it didn't meet expectations. Also, RE6 is sure to have lined their pockets good from what I've been reading.

It's just my, admittedly uneducated, idea that DS4 is already in the works. And I'll probably play it before Persona 4 Arena arrives in Europe! :vbang:

If you ask me, they're gonna hafta get weird like Guilty Gear if they wanna bring back Darkstalkers the way people liked it.

Personally, I like your theme better.
Haha. Well played, Sir. :china:

If you ask me, they're gonna hafta get weird like Guilty Gear if they wanna bring back Darkstalkers the way people liked it.
Indeed. I'll adamantly defend that 2D is the way to go but Capcom don't play that. Unfortunately 2D is both too laborious and niche. At this point, I only hope that a eventual sequel is as genuine to the series' spirit as possible.

Just hire Arcsystem works to do this shit, dammit.
Their last collaboration (Sengoku Basara X) was a mess and mostly because of Capcom, way I heard it. I say "mess" as a Basara fan...though as a fighting game, well, being considered kusoge says everything. Of course, a lot of players like it exactly for being pants-on-head retardedly broken.

Anyway, while answering about why Resurrection wasn't announced for the WiiU, Svensson unveils a bit of that "textbook Capcom" we all know.

This game has been in development for about a year now (and longer in planning cycles) and at the time, we didn't have clarity on Wii U's online strategy.
Part of why I believe 4 is already in the works.

Their last collaboration (Sengoku Basara X) was a mess and mostly because of Capcom, way I heard it. I say "mess" as a Basara fan...though as a fighting game, well, being considered kusoge says everything. Of course, a lot of players like it exactly for being pants-on-head retardedly broken.

I have SBX and Hokuto no Ken but I never play them....that should tell you something. Good sprites do not mean good games. :8/:

Now, if Capcom fielded Darkstalkers to ARC System Works and gave them free reign over it's system without interference (ala what Konami did for Platinum Games for Metal Gear Rising), then I could see things turning out for the better.

If this game gets developed by 8ing and not FUCKIGN dimps, I'll have hopes.

You mean the same team that allowed Tekkaman Blade to combo into his super out of a burst in TvC:UAS? The same team that was going to make MvC3 into TvC2 until Fanatiq said "HOLD DAT" and told them exactly how MAHVELL should be played?

Besides, Dimps has a pretty decent track record as long as Capcom Japan isn't meddling (Ruble Fish series is pretty decent). Also, compared to 8ing, they do have better features in their current fighters. Online training mode, button config on the select screen, hold start to pause and off course, the only implementation of rollback netcode in a non sprite-based fighter (at least, before the casuals ruined it).

Wasn't it because barely any serious players went to the loketest and instead we got fangirls doing shipping battles?

It never dawned on my that the team who made F:UC COULD be making DS4. This is exciting. W/ enough play testing, the title could be amazing.

Now, if Capcom fielded Darkstalkers to ARC System Works and gave them free reign over it's system without interference...

That's the thing right there. Admittedly, it's not as bad in their fighters but Capcom not only meddle like soccer moms but have a penchant for slave labor (I seriously doubt Slant 6 and Spark Unlimited were picked for their extraordinary skills as developers...).

Collaboration or not, I seriously hope they don't cheap out. It still baffles me how messy SFxT turned out, knowing it's their most iconic IP AND a friendly company's equally iconic IP. Unfortunately their new motto is shortening development time. Better make the most of it then.

fangirls

That is correct. Reason why the game is a unbalanced mess is because the fangirls bumrushed the loketests to have their MasaYuki duels.

However, I read there were other issues with the collaboration. Here's a copy-paste:

a) Even beyond the fangirl issue, the game was delayed and pushed back several times. There was a brief period where people thought it was cancelled, and it was hard to get a clear answer as to whether it was ASW dragging their ass or Capcom doing something to hold things back.

b) By later on, it became much more apparent that this game was the bastard child of a "partnership" that had gone sour, and was being treated as such. It's highly likely by this point in time that neither party really cared that much about the game, and each individual company was hard at work with prepping their own "next-gen" fighter (SF4 and BB, respectively). By the time SBX FINALLY released in arcades in April 2008, it enjoyed a period of arcade exclusivity that lasted about a month; the PS2 port was released in June 2008. Capcom and ASW then proceeded to wash their hands of the arrangement. In spite of the notion that people actually DID like the game, and wanted to see an update or sequel that fixes its issues, there were many hints given from both sides that neither has any interest in doing so.

EDIT: Derek Neals talks about DSR aiming for optimal arcade-accuracy. This seems to imply Huitzil, Pyron and Donovan won't be in VS.

I understand what they are aiming for but it's still kind of a bum. Huitzil and Donovan are pretty fun to play as in VS2. I suppose NW was added so people wouldn't complain about these 3 being absent.